Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
What is so concerning about Rakell this year is he really lacked any intensity. He floated more, and was less physically engaged. He even looked alot slower than previous years and didnt have a good motor like his earlier years. He still has legit hands to be a 30 goal scorer but something was off about his play and commitment, and I'm not sure it was due to the coach... I can't believe Wild Bill has surpased him in terms of value.... damn BM for making that dumb trade for Wisneski (a guy he initially traded because he was pissed that he wouldn't take less money).

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
What`s the word on Lavoie? Dude has almost twice as more points as the second guy on his team (Morand):

QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features.

Eligible for this years draft.

I've been on the Lavoie train for a few months now. He has grown man strength and weight on a 6' 4' frame... even if he's not an overly physical player. Very good straight ahead speed, NHL shot. Might have some motor issues but what 6' 4" winger doesnt at times. I think he's one of the safest bets to be a legit top 6 wing that comes up big in heavy games. I've seen him ranked as high as 10 and low as 25, think he gets scooped up early though, wouldnt shock me to see the Ducks take him at 9.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
What is so concerning about Rakell this year is he really lacked any intensity. He floated more, and was less physically engaged. He even looked alot slower than previous years and didnt have a good motor like his earlier years. He still has legit hands to be a 30 goal scorer but something was off about his play and commitment, and I'm not sure it was due to the coach... I can't believe Wild Bill has surpased him in terms of value.... damn BM for making that dumb trade for Wisneski (a guy he initially traded because he was pissed that he wouldn't take less money).

This. Rakell didn't look hungry this season at all. I really think he was one of the guys BM was concerned about going forward. Maybe he needs a kick in the butt? Hopefully it doesnt take a trade to do it.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
The difficulty in trying to evaluate Rakell or anyone else is how to determine the Randy factor. While I never liked his hiring, it's been quite eye opening the things that we have heard since he was fired. (And that's only what we've heard.) It seems to only add more fuel to the fire as to how inept he was. How do you determine who will bounce back and play well under the new coach vs a guy who is falling off because he has his own issues?

I'm not entirely sure Rakell's issues are the RC factor. I think the bigger question is can he be a guy that drives his own line? Because I don't think we've seen a large enough sample size away from Getzlaf to prove that to be the case with or without RC.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The Karlsson move looks very bad in hindsight and I would love to still have him right now. You have to put yourself in the GM's shoes in March 2015. Wild Bill hadn't shown much yet and our D was getting decimated at the time. Karlsson didn't really blossom in Columbus either.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I'm not entirely sure Rakell's issues are the RC factor. I think the bigger question is can he be a guy that drives his own line? Because I don't think we've seen a large enough sample size away from Getzlaf to prove that to be the case with or without RC.
If I had to guess, I would agree with you that Ricky has his own issues and selling high on him could prove to be a shrewd move. But it doesn't help that we had Randy clouding the issue by constantly trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The Karlsson move looks very bad in hindsight and I would love to still have him right now. You have to put yourself in the GM's shoes in March 2015. Wild Bill hadn't shown much yet and our D was getting decimated at the time. Karlsson didn't really blossom in Columbus either.

I don't fault BM for moving Wild Bill for help. The mistake he made was not having a better read on exactly what he was trading for and how said player would be used. Did he not know Wisniewski had chronic foot injuries? Did he not talk to BB about how he planned to use him? What really hurt is that we moved Karlsson and then effectively got nothing out of it.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Why am I getting a feeling of deja vu now with Pettersson for Sprong? :confused:

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don't fault BM for moving Wild Bill for help. The mistake he made was not having a better read on exactly what he was trading for and how said player would be used. Did he not know Wisniewski had chronic foot injuries? Did he not talk to BB about how he planned to use him? What really hurt is that we moved Karlsson and then effectively got nothing out of it.
That's a fair point. Think Bob was actually a huge fan of Wis, probably so much so that it clouded his judgment when he reacquired him. I remember Murray being infuriated when Wis went to arbitration in 2010.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
If I had to guess, I would agree with you that Ricky has his own issues and selling high on him could prove to be a shrewd move. But it doesn't help that we had Randy clouding the issue by constantly trying to hammer square pegs into round holes.

I agree with you. I'd be very interested to see what he does on a line with maybe Jones and Steel next year. I just am worried that if he doesn't get back to his previous numbers we'll then be talking about "should we trade him for a late 1st" instead.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Another thing with Ricky, and it's part of the reason I've kind of prepared to see him go, is that I think he's the main guy Bob's been talking about when it comes to playing hurt and not caring about winning and a couple other things like leadership.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
In the midst of participating in a mock draft as the Ducks. The first eight picks were Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Caufield, Podkolzin, Turcotte and Cozens, which left me to take Zegras at 9 (would have been happy with Krebs there as well).

I was very surprised to have Thomas Harley still available to select at 28. The two actually have an outside chance of being teammates, as the Mississauga Steelheads own the OHL rights to Zegras should he decide to pass on his NCAA commitment.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Rakell admitted himself in interviews multiple times this season that he was having trouble finding motivation to play hard because of not being in the race for playoffs.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Can't see Dach falling to 9. Would be awesome though

It it starting to seem more unlikely, he seems to be rising even, but I could see him as a guy who falls down boards now that the hockey part of the year is done. So many guys seem to be rising and they all can't go top 5 or top 8, and I dunno, Dach has always seemed like a candidate to fall out a little bit.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I just got back from a trip to REI. Saw this in the parking lot. Maybe Ricky's looking for some cold weather gear in anticipation of a trade? :laugh:

Yes, I know he wouldn't be driving a Civic. ;) So which one of you wants to fess up to owning this plate? :laugh:

i-gshKMTV-XL.jpg

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
This. Rakell didn't look hungry this season at all. I really think he was one of the guys BM was concerned about going forward. Maybe he needs a kick in the butt? Hopefully it doesnt take a trade to do it.

I read on the athletic 3/4 through the year that Rakell was playing with a wrist injury. Can’t remember who wrote he article but it wasn’t Stephens, maybe Josh Cooper? That basically takes away his one high end talent.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
You can't set a schedule on a prospect, though; particularly with a player drafted as a project. Unfortunately there are times when I think that this escapes some of the people in management that are making these calls. It doesn't help matters that Wiz wound up being a colossal whiff when he got here, and Wiz had injury issues prior to the one that carried over after the trade. Just because he had a need for a player doesn't mean that he can be carefree in the process of finding that player. On the other hand, no GM is perfect.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
You can't set a schedule on a prospect, though; particularly with a player drafted as a project. Unfortunately there are times when I think that this escapes some of the people in management that are making these calls. It doesn't help matters that Wiz wound up being a colossal whiff when he got here, and Wiz had injury issues prior to the one that carried over after the trade. Just because he had a need for a player doesn't mean that he can be carefree in the process of finding that player. On the other hand, no GM is perfect.
It is unfortunate that he chose to improve a depleted D with a defenceman who also was injured at the time.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad