Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m down for Kirby Dach. Let’s lose some games, get into good draft position, let the kids learn this year and regroup for next year with a new coach

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Podkolzin please.
In the off chance Anaheim were to select a Russian, he certainly wouldn't be a Russian with anti-North American comments on record. Notwithstanding his extreme talent, there isn't a remote chance Anaheim would use what would have to be a top-15 pick on Podkolzin.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I’m down for Kirby Dach. Let’s lose some games, get into good draft position, let the kids learn this year and regroup for next year with a new coach

If things start to go that way for us, this draft is extraordinarily good for us. Forget winning the lotto, there's so much good talent that even a top-10 pick could be enough to get a potential franchise player.

https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-kakko-boldy-and-kaliyev-rise-up-draft-rankings-1.1196164

Craig Button's October rankings. I'm personally a huge fan of both Kakko and Cozens; additionally, I think there's phenomenally value to be found late in the 1st.

I'm starting to believe that this year's first round has a clear top-15, maybe top-20, after which the line between the 1st and 2nd rounds gets a bit blurry.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
This Marcus Kallionkieli player seems very interesting... but might be another Liam Foudy and big riser.... Great size, explosiveness, shot based on footage.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
**** that. Jack Hughes, come on down!

I can really see Dach knocking him off by season's end. Skilled, smart, well rounded 6'4 right handed centers just don't grow on trees.

You slide him in ahead of Lundestrom and Steel, and damn we would be so set down the middle for years to come.

Hughes is a dynamo, but something tells me Dach will have the better career when all is said and done.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I can really see Dach knocking him off by season's end. Skilled, smart, well rounded 6'4 right handed centers just don't grow on trees.

You slide him in ahead of Lundestrom and Steel, and damn we would be so set down the middle for years to come.

Hughes is a dynamo, but something tells me Dach will have the better career when all is said and done.
No you can't.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If we get a 2nd first which is absolutely possible I hope we use the latter pick on a defensemen. If we don't we gotta use our 2nd on one. None in 2017 and one in the 6th in 2018 isn't gonna cut it. We're going to need some more talent there.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sure I can, Dach is a fantastic prospect and I just don't see Hughes on the same tier as previous indisputable top picks. It's a long season, Dach has been rising in leaps in bounds. Don't be shocked if the perceived difference is down to nothing by June.
If someone does dach over Hughes they'll be fired on the spot

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
If someone does dach over Hughes they'll be fired on the spot

See this all the time on the prospects thread too. Hughes isn't scoring three points a game so he's not the consensus first pick anymore. It's ridiculous. 90% of people just watch the statlines.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
See this all the time on the prospects thread too. Hughes isn't scoring three points a game so he's not the consensus first pick anymore. It's ridiculous. 90% of people just watch the statlines.

I see this all the time too. People get too caught up in pre draft season rankings and hype, and get way too set in their opinions many months before the draft.

Again, Hughes isn't some McDavid level generational talent. He's an extremely talented offensive player, who likely will never bring much value beyond that offense - still talk he maybe ends up on the wing. That's the type of projected number one pick who can absolutely be surpassed by a guy who is gaining big traction as a potential franchise center who can put up huge numbers but also contribute in every other facet of the game.

Also why are you assuming that the notion of another player challenging for #1 as the draft season progresses is somehow a slight to Hughes status as a #1 caliber prospect? You do know there have been many years where there are multiple viable #1 overall candidates? And that not of all them are necessarily considered as such heading into the season?

Scouts allow their opinions to remain fluid throughout the draft season, you guys seem too caught up in your pre conceived opinions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf and Ducks DVM

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
I see this all the time too. People get too caught up in pre draft season rankings and hype, and get way too set in their opinions many months before the draft.

Again, Hughes isn't some McDavid level generational talent. He's an extremely talented offensive player, who likely will never bring much value beyond that offense - still talk he maybe ends up on the wing. That's the type of projected number one pick who can absolutely be surpassed by a guy who is gaining big traction as a potential franchise center who can put up huge numbers but also contribute in every other facet of the game.

Also why are you assuming that the notion of another player challenging for #1 as the draft season progresses is somehow a slight to Hughes status as a #1 caliber prospect? You do know there have been many years where there are multiple viable #1 overall candidates? And that not of all them are necessarily considered as such heading into the season?

Scouts allow their opinions to remain fluid throughout the draft season, you guys seem too caught up in your pre conceived opinions.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you know exactly how big the gap is. I'm not saying it won't happen, but people like you just like to assume that after a 'slow' start (well over a point a game) that Kakko or Dach have a shot at passing him. What Hughes has cannot be taught. Dach and Kakko are great players no doubt, but they don't have the vision and ability that Hughes does. That is why 10/10 scouts will still tell you that Hughes is consensus number one. A scouts job is to project at the NHL level, not the level they currently are playing at. Anyone with an educated eye knows that yes the gap has narrowed but in no way is it a two horse race yet.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I get what you're saying, but I don't think you know exactly how big the gap is. I'm not saying it won't happen, but people like you just like to assume that after a 'slow' start (well over a point a game) that Kakko or Dach have a shot at passing him. What Hughes has cannot be taught. Dach and Kakko are great players no doubt, but they don't have the vision and ability that Hughes does. That is why 10/10 scouts will still tell you that Hughes is consensus number one. A scouts job is to project at the NHL level, not the level they currently are playing at. Anyone with an educated eye knows that yes the gap has narrowed but in no way is it a two horse race yet.

If you read back through my posts, I'm saying that it very well may become a multi horse race, not that it is currently. My reasoning has less to do with Hughes (who's stock is maintaining IMO) but more to do with how impressive I find Dach. I just really don't see keeping him out of that #1 conversation by years end IF he continues this level of play.

I don't agree that Hughes' vision and playmaking separate him from Dach. He's absolutely the more dynamic skater and puckhandler, but I really think Dach is an elite playmaker. Not just for a guy who is 6'4 but in general. Kakao I agree with, I see him as more immensely physically talented rather than high IQ.

Reactions: kroypuck

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
#SuckForDach?

EDIT:

If we get a 2nd first which is absolutely possible I hope we use the latter pick on a defensemen. If we don't we gotta use our 2nd on one. None in 2017 and one in the 6th in 2018 isn't gonna cut it. We're going to need some more talent there.

It's far too early to start bailing out on Drew -- who's had a solid start so far -- and we're young enough on the back end that I don't think we need to panic in searching for a defender. I'm not averse to us drafting some defenders to restock the system, but if we do get a second 1st rounder, I'd much rather take another forward, especially given that the defensive crop this year isn't the greatest.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If you read back through my posts, I'm saying that it very well may become a multi horse race, not that it is currently. My reasoning has less to do with Hughes (who's stock is maintaining IMO) but more to do with how impressive I find Dach. I just really don't see keeping him out of that #1 conversation by years end IF he continues this level of play.

I don't agree that Hughes' vision and playmaking separate him from Dach. He's absolutely the more dynamic skater and puckhandler, but I really think Dach is an elite playmaker. Not just for a guy who is 6'4 but in general. Kakao I agree with, I see him as more immensely physically talented rather than high IQ.
I think you guys both make good points here. Personally, I agree with the thinking that Hughes has traits that you just absolutely don't pass up on. He has a chance to be one of those guys that can carry your offense for the next decade.

I think Dach is right there though. Easily the 2nd best player in the draft in my mind. I don't see elite potential with Kakko really.

Maybe Kirby Dach vs Jack Hughes is something like would you rather have Ryan Getzlaf or Patrick Kane? Tough call

But Hughes probably has a better chance of being Kane than Dach does of being Getzlaf

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

I can't see Dach making a push regardless of the season he has. If anyone will it's Kakko and that's only because he's playing professional already and making an impact. But even he's still not there.

It's also important to note scouts are looking at a complete body of work, which is why Hughes has not budged from the number one spot. Lead the WC U18, WHC U17, and came one point shy of breaking Matthews NTDP point record. People set such unbelievably high expectations for him this year as they always do. All of this while they're playing the hardest schedule NTDP has ever had.

HFBoards makes the race seem way closer than it is at the moment, but I guarantee you it's not at that point yet.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I've thought long and hard about it, and I think we should just draft all of them. Hughes, Dach and Kakko. Then Alexis Lafrenière the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad