Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
My favorite player in this draft is Kaapo Kakko. I personally think Kakko's stick-handling and skills are on par with Hughes. What Kakko lacks--relative to Hughes--in skating ability, Kakko makes up for by using his size and strength to win one-on-one battles and protect the puck. Hughes has Kakko beat when it comes to positioning and vision (albeit not by much), but Kakko's confidence/eagerness to be creative in tight spaces is something Anaheim sorely lacks outside of Kase and Rakell. For as much as people say the game has transitioned to favor small, shifty players like Hughes, I'd bet Kakko's game translates more seamlessly to the NHL.

Would be happy with any of the following, all of whom will be impactful forwards: Hughes, Kakko, Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte, and Suzuki (my least favorite of the bunch, mainly because I think he plays the exact same game as Steel and would therefore be redundant).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The Draft Analyst's November Top-100 list

I've said many times that IMO a top-10 pick in next year's draft would do wonders for our prospect pool. When I see names like Suzuki and Lavoie ranked 15 and 16, it makes me think that even a top-15 pick could be amazing for us.

And that's just the first rounder, who knows what we could get between 31-46.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
My dream scenario is we draft a forward with a top-15 pick and a defenseman with a second, first-round pick. If I had to guess, I'd say there's going to be a run on forwards early in the first round, leaving a handful of quality defenseman available in the late teens and early 20s. Byram, York, Soderstrom, and Honka are arguably in one tier followed by Robertson, Vlasic, Bjornfot, and Broberg.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Statistiky hráčů: Mládež | Hokej.cz - web českého hokeje

Apologies for the Czech website, but these are the final stats from the U18 Five Nations tournament. Jack Hughes had an extremely impressive showing with 16 points in 4 games. American defenseman, Alex Vlasic (6'6"), supposedly played very well too.

Dr0vBafWoAAzNi8.jpg:large

Above is NHL Central Scouting's updated watch list of prospects currently rated as first round draft picks. Sixteen of the twenty-five players are forwards, which is good news for Anaheim.

Reactions: kroypuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
BM needs to move Silfverberg for a first round pick. This draft is a serious chance to try to find the next 1st line center

We need as many bites at the apple as possible, given the age of Getzlaf and Kesler

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
BM needs to move Silfverberg for a first round pick. This draft is a serious chance to try to find the next 1st line center

We need as many bites at the apple as possible, given the age of Getzlaf and Kesler
Just suck and get hughes/cozens/dach and in 2 years roll with

Rakell hughes terry
Comtois steel kase
Jones lundestrom henrique
Ritchie getzlaf sheerwood

Ezzzz

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Arthur Kaliyev (USA/RUS) is such a puzzling prospect. The kid's stats are absolutely ridiculous:
  • 31 goals in 68 games last season as a rookie, he's the first 16-year-old to pull that off in years (I heard somewhere that Galchenyuk was the last to do it in 2011).
  • 17 goals and 32 points in 21 games this year already. That's 55 goals and 104 points over a full 68-game season, plus that's on a bad Hamilton team, which is basically on a rebuild phase after last year's Memorial Cup run.
  • One of the youngest first-round players in the 2019 draft, already 6'2'' 185 lbs.
  • A cannon of a shot, easily NHL level already. Pair that with incredible hands and hand-eye coordination.
  • Natural ability to make himself free to receive passes, somehow he just knows where he needs to be at all times.
The downside is that he's not that good of a skater IMO, which is a major issue in today's NHL. As is with many high-profile goal scorers, Kaliyev is also not particularly effective out there when he's not scoring.

IMO he's a classic case of extremely high-end talent mixed up with significant holes in their overall game. Purely from a talent point of view, he should be a top-10 pick easily at this point, but I think he might drop out of the top-15 due to the risk factors. He could be this year's Ryan Merkley, with the exception of having skating problems instead of attitude issues.

Last edited:

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
I feel like Anaheim should really target either Kaapo Kakko (Teemu's regen) or Kirby Dach (Getzlaf's regen) in this draft. Given the shape of things, we will be stuck with Carlyle for the rest of this season and possibly even beyond - I wouldn't count out the chances of Barstool giving the fossil an extension - and that easily should mean we'll be big sellers come deadline and should have a top-5 pick in the Draft anyway. Now, if we could come up with one or two more first round picks for players like Cogliano, Silfverberg, or even Henrique, we should not hesitate to pull the trigger. We're in full rebuild mode, and will be for a few years.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I feel like Anaheim should really target either Kaapo Kakko (Teemu's regen) or Kirby Dach (Getzlaf's regen) in this draft. Given the shape of things, we will be stuck with Carlyle for the rest of this season and possibly even beyond - I wouldn't count out the chances of Barstool giving the fossil an extension - and that easily should mean we'll be big sellers come deadline and should have a top-5 pick in the Draft anyway. Now, if we could come up with one or two more first round picks for players like Cogliano, Silfverberg, or even Henrique, we should not hesitate to pull the trigger. We're in full rebuild mode, and will be for a few years.

IMO Teemu is a bad comparison for Kakko, they're completely different players. Teemu was a high-end goal scorer with blazing speed, Kakko is a playmaker/puck possession monster.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
Arthur Kaliyev (USA/RUS) is such a puzzling prospect. The kid's stats are absolutely ridiculous:
  • 31 goals in 68 games last season as a rookie, he's the first 16-year-old to pull that off in years (I heard somewhere that Galchenyuk was the last to do it in 2011).
  • 17 goals and 32 points in 21 games this year already. That's 55 goals and 104 points over a full 68-game season, plus that's on a bad Hamilton team, which is basically on a rebuild phase after last year's Memorial Cup run.
  • One of the youngest first-round players in the 2019 draft, already 6'2'' 185 lbs.
  • A cannon of a shot, easily NHL level already. Pair that with incredible hands and hand-eye coordination.
  • Natural ability to make himself free to receive passes, somehow he just knows where he needs to be at all times.
The downside is that he's not that good of a skater IMO, which is a major issue in today's NHL. As is with many high-profile goal scorers, Kaliyev is also not particularly effective out there when he's not scoring.

IMO he's a classic case of extremely high-end talent mixed up with significant holes in their overall game. Purely from a talent point of view, he should be a top-10 pick easily at this point, but I think he might drop out of the top-15 due to the risk factors. He could be this year's Ryan Merkley, with the exception of having skating problems instead of attitude issues.

he's been given the lazy label by many scouts. from my viewings he does seem very one dimensional, but regardless could be a steal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
he's been given the lazy label by many scouts. from my viewings he does seem very one dimensional, but regardless could be a steal.
I wouldn't mind if we end up selling some pieces and get a 2nd 1st grabbing him. Hopefully our pick is top 10 and we end up with cozens/dach/hughes etc

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but man do I really like Jakob Pelletier's game. Smart, skilled, quick and competitive, if he had any size he'd be the complete package. I can still see him pushing into top 15 consideration regardless.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but man do I really like Jakob Pelletier's game. Smart, skilled, quick and competitive, if he had any size he'd be the complete package. I can still see him pushing into top 15 consideration regardless.

I haven't been able to catch a Moncton game yet this year but hopefully will soon. I liked him as a 16 year old, he wasn't making a consistent impact but would flash really high end skill and vision. Everything I've heard of his play this year has been rave reviews.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Comparisons are always dodgy at best, but Kakko does so many little things that remind me of Peter Forsberg. Look at the goal he scored last night -- he turns a low-danger play from behind the net into a goal all by himself. The hands, the IQ and the skating/balance are all there.

Obviously Kakko doesn't have the Forsberg-esque explosiveness or the nastiness, so he's not really a power forward like Forsberg was.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
We should focus on prospects available in the 16-24 range IMO, as that is where we will be picking; Pacific is horrid, we will be making the playoffs.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Arthur Kaliyev (USA/RUS) is such a puzzling prospect. The kid's stats are absolutely ridiculous: [/MEDIA]

Would love either Kaliyev or Dach. Kaliyev might not be a great skater, but neither is Getzlaf.

I think Steel could be the heir of that second-line spot, or maybe Groulx if he pans out well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We will be drafting all defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad