Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The time is right to dust off this thread..

Craig Button's January rankings - https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hughes-stays-ahead-of-kakko-after-world-juniors-1.1237475

NHL Central Scouting mid-season rankings are expected in about two weeks.

While Hughes vs Kakko remains the the top debated item, some other player risings/fallings are worth noting too.

Risers - Cozens (relative to the separation he's made compared Dach), Turcotte (strong return from injury is reminding people why he was highly touted to begin with), Pelletier (proving himself to be a leader, not a follower, on a strong Moncton team), Heinola (strong play leading up to and during the WJC), McMichael (personally know very little about him but plays for London)

Fallers - Dach (inconsistent play prior to injury), Honka (overshadowed by Heinola in the WJC)

Criminally underrated prospect - Payton Krebs (captain, left-handed center of the Kootenay ICE; Krebs has nearly 40% more points than the next highest point getter on the team; he's their #1 center and a jack-of-all-trades player who doesn't get enough attention because Kootenay is the second worst team in the entire WHL)

Center depth: Hughes, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Krebs, Newhook, Suzuki, McMichael

If we can go into the draft with a top-15 pick and a two, if not three, more top-60 picks, we'll walk away with a blue-chip center prospect, two solid defensemen, and probably another forward.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The time is right to dust off this thread..

Craig Button's January rankings - https://www.tsn.ca/craig-s-list-hughes-stays-ahead-of-kakko-after-world-juniors-1.1237475

NHL Central Scouting mid-season rankings are expected in about two weeks.

While Hughes vs Kakko remains the the top debated item, some other player risings/fallings are worth noting too.

Risers - Cozens (relative to the separation he's made compared Dach), Turcotte (strong return from injury is reminding people why he was highly touted to begin with), Pelletier (proving himself to be a leader, not a follower, on a strong Moncton team), Heinola (strong play leading up to and during the WJC), McMichael (personally know very little about him but plays for London)

Fallers - Dach (inconsistent play prior to injury), Honka (overshadowed by Heinola in the WJC)

Criminally underrated prospect - Payton Krebs (captain, left-handed center of the Kootenay ICE; Krebs has nearly 40% more points than the next highest point getter on the team; he's their #1 center and a jack-of-all-trades player who doesn't get enough attention because Kootenay is the second worst team in the entire WHL)

Center depth: Hughes, Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach, Krebs, Newhook, Suzuki, McMichael

If we can go into the draft with a top-15 pick and a two, if not three, more top-60 picks, we'll walk away with a blue-chip center prospect, two solid defensemen, and probably another forward.
Slack for Dach !
Relax for Alex (Turcotte) !

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I couldn't see him falling past 3 unfortunately, and I like his game more than Kakko honestly
I think Kakko is way closer, if not on par, to Hughes than to Dach. There's concern that Dach could be the second coming of Strome. Elite vision, great IQ, great skills, but below average skating and two-way play. Every time I've watched Saskatoon, Dach is behind the play. Anaheim desperately needs a center who excels in transition, something I think Dach lacks.

Frankly, I'd take Cozens and Turcotte (maybe even Zegras), over Dach.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I couldn't see him falling past 3 unfortunately, and I like his game more than Kakko honestly
Hm its tought to say
I think hughes + Kakko are easily 1 and 2... but there is a decent group of kids after that, that are all in the running in that 3-10 area. Personally I have dach as the 2nd best center in draft behind hughes… but its close with a few other guys.

Either way at the rate were going we may be in the top 3 so /shrug. Hopefully we add another 1st at the deadline.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
This draft could be a messy one.

After 1 and 2 it's really anyone's guess at this point. There's a ton of good centers available so hopefully we'll get an early pick considering this team is going nowhere.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I still like newhook even tho it seems hes falling in a lot of drafts.
If they end up withe the 8th to 13th pick they might be able to get Newhook or possibly chance at Dach.
Them falling in the draft sounds like a Duck pick. Dach a Duck, sounds like a fit.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If they end up withe the 8th to 13th pick they might be able to get Newhook or possibly chance at Dach.
Them falling in the draft sounds like a Duck pick. Dach a Duck, sounds like a fit.
dach will be gone by 8... id trade up for him if we move silf for picks.

We need a top end center prospect
Dach
Steel
Lundestrum

looks pretty good with comtois rakell Ritchie jones on left side, and terry sprong Aberg kase on the right side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
dach will be gone by 8... id trade up for him if we move silf for picks.

We need a top end center prospect
Dach
Steel
Lundestrum

looks pretty good with comtois rakell Ritchie jones on left side, and terry sprong Aberg kase on the right side.
We are 13th in points % i think, they need to update the draft order at:
2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
Depending on who the team in front of the Ducks draft, they could pick from Turcotte, Newhook & Suzuki, which is the fastest skater of the 3 ?

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
I still like newhook even tho it seems hes falling in a lot of drafts.
Newhook started the year really slowly in the BCHL, which was cause for concern. I think the stat line is, since the beginning of October, he's been nearly 2.0 PPG. Newhook is starting to rise back up the rankings.

We are 13th in points % i think, they need to update the draft order at:
2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft
Depending on who the team in front of the Ducks draft, they could pick from Turcotte, Newhook & Suzuki, which is the fastest skater of the 3 ?
I haven't seen Newhook play except in highlight videos, so I'll refrain from commenting. Turcotte is definitely faster than Suzuki, who strikes me as a clone of Steel. Both centers are cerebral, possessing great IQ, vision, and puck-handling skills. One of Turcotte's greatest strengths is his two way play, which is due in no small part to his skating ability.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Hughes has certain elements that are so elite such as his skating, shiftiness and poise with the puck that I dont think there is any way you can pass him up. His upside is way too high. Not sure where he ends up in the NHL but he just looks like he does things other guys cant. When he was getting on a role at the world juniors he was creating multiple scoring chances per shift. He has the potential to produce that could make him a generational player.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So the ideal draft is they take a Center/Winger BPA in the 1st round & D-men in the 2nd & 3rd ?
If they have multiple 1sts then they could take a Center & get a Dman with a late first.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
There's concern that Dach could be the second coming of Strome. Elite vision, great IQ, great skills, but below average skating and two-way play. Every time I've watched Saskatoon, Dach is behind the play. Anaheim desperately needs a center who excels in transition, something I think Dach lacks.

Ouch. That doesn't sound promising at all. Unless he's got some Joe Thornton-level skills to compensate, I'd stay clear.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We now are the 12th overall pick Tankathon | 2019 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator
We have very strong chance at getting into the top 10. Looking back at the 2012 draft, what if they waited til the offseason to hire Boudreau, would we have gotten Rielly ? maybe keep the terrible coach for the rest of the season & fire him afterwards.

When you can tank a season cause of injuries + the worst coaching in the league, you can turn things around pretty fast the following season. They did that in 2012-13 when they returned to the playoffs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If a Dman is BPA in the first round I would hope to hell they'd take him.
I still prefer we go Center.... not really any clear cut dmen in this draft and BPA is a bit grey after top 3-5 picks.

If there is a center and dmen ranked closely id take the center easily. The draft is much heavier on forwards... I think there will be some good dmen drafted in 2nd/3rd round.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
We now are the 12th overall pick Tankathon | 2019 NHL Draft Order & Lottery Simulator
We have very strong chance at getting into the top 10. Looking back at the 2012 draft, what if they waited til the offseason to hire Boudreau, would we have gotten Rielly ? maybe keep the terrible coach for the rest of the season & fire him afterwards.
I honestly don't care about moving up a spot in that draft.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
We now have the 10th overall pick. So which of Turcotte, Newhook, Suzuki, Krebs, Lavoie do we want ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad