Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If I were to rank my excitement level, it would be...

Blaisdell
Nikkanen
Heinola
Lundmark
Neaton

Kind of agree. After reading a bit of stuff today I think Lundmark is the biggest reach for Chevy. Can't help thinking there was a worthwhile center there somewhere.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
2001 was a weak year for Manitobans. Seth Jarvis is eligible next year and should be a top 3 round pick.

Why so few from Manitoba? Anything besides population? Inferior feeder system? Video games? Figure skating?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
**** it lets just tank! :laugh:

giphy.gif

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Honestly with the loss of Trouba and the likely aging of some key vets (Wheeler, Little, Buff, Perreault) as well as still continued progression from youngsters (Morrissey, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Rosie, Niku) and the addition of more fresh meat (Vesalianen, Appleton, Harkins, Spacek) and a slew of guys just entering their prime (Scheifele, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Tanev, Copp, Pionk) as well as some futures (Samberg, Gustaffson, Stanley, Vallati, Heinola, Chisholm, Kovacevik, Green, Blaisdell, Nikkanen, Berdin)

This seems like the perfect time to take a little dip in the standings, in a very deep draft mind you, for a potential top 6 center. Getting ourselves someone like Byfield, Rossi or Lundell could go a long way to us making it over that hump that will be the decline of those aging vets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Honestly with the loss of Trouba and the likely aging of some key vets (Wheeler, Little, Buff, Perreault) as well as still continued progression from youngsters (Morrissey, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Rosie, Niku) and the addition of more fresh meat (Vesalianen, Appleton, Harkins, Spacek) and a slew of guys just entering their prime (Scheifele, Lowry, Hellebuyck, Tanev, Copp, Pionk) as well as some futures (Samberg, Gustaffson, Stanley, Vallati, Heinola, Chisholm, Kovacevik, Green, Blaisdell, Nikkanen, Berdin)

This seems like the perfect time to take a little dip in the standings, in a very deep draft mind you, for a potential top 6 center. Getting ourselves someone like Byfield, Rossi or Lundell could go a long way to us making it over that hump that will be the decline of those aging vets.
As much as some of the most negative are calling for the big drop, the most likely scenario is a safe playoff spot and then it is a matter of how we fair that will determine draft position. The big question is will Chevy trade the 1st again at the TD.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As much as some of the most negative are calling for the big drop, the most likely scenario is a safe playoff spot and then it is a matter of how we fair that will determine draft position. The big question is will Chevy trade the 1st again at the TD.
I'd be very surprised if he traded his 1st again any time soon. He's said a few times in different ways that he wants to retain picks to keep a strong prospect pool.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

If we don't shore up our defense, it will happen organically.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd be very surprised if he traded his 1st again any time soon. He's said a few times in different ways that he wants to retain picks to keep a strong prospect pool.
I think they wanted to take the shot while they had Laine and Connor producing on cheap deals. Unlikely to have that sort of luxury again any time soon.

Reactions: surixon and Whileee

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If I were to rank my excitement level, it would be...

Blaisdell
Nikkanen
Heinola
Lundmark
Neaton
My level of excitement is:
Heinola

He was the most productive U18 Liiga D since the early 80s.

Everyone else looks like a super duper long shot to me.

I do like what Nikkanen did a couple years back.

Lundmark can move and isn't an offensive black hole - or at least he wasn't as a junior.

Blaisdell works hard, but his production is so far from special that I can't get excited - closer to Ustaski than he is to most NHLer. Maybe they found a Heinen, but that's a long shot.

Neaton is a goalie.

That doesn't mean we won't see a surprise, but this isn't an exciting bunch beyond Heinola.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I don't think so but who knows? You can't do that every year and we had a very clear two year window with some top producers on ELC's where we went for it (so to speak). I think we may need to find the balance now for the next draft or two.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Good gawd, I hope not!

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mostly posted this to see your response Mort. Even I don't think Chevy buys at the TD again. Though I think we might see a hockey trade this summer to balance out the line up.

I agree - for a year or two. But then I expect him to be right back at it.

The hockey trade scares me because the values that were being tossed around were bad for us - and also the talk was of trading the wrong player. I won't be surprised by a real hockey trade though. I just hope he gets good value.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree - for a year or two. But then I expect him to be right back at it.

The hockey trade scares me because the values that were being tossed around were bad for us - and also the talk was of trading the wrong player. I won't be surprised by a real hockey trade though. I just hope he gets good value.
What gets thrown out, isn't necessarily what GM's are talking about. At this time I think the vast majority of leaks is from agents trying to create ideal circumstances for their clients. There is little to no value to contract negotiations or for trades for information to come from GM's. If a player has no movement limitations there is no value at all for either GM to share any information before a trade is consummated.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
"Most likely" is based on what? They were a disaster in the 2nd half.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
"Most likely" is based on what? They were a disaster in the 2nd half.
And we still safely made the playoffs. This suggests to me a team with the talent to contend. The season before we went to the conference finals with virtually the same line up. While we have taken a couple hits on defense, it is only Trouba that will leave a hole. We have a very talented forward group of young stars and it seems reasonably that at least some of them take steps forward. Last season the Blues were a tire fire the first half of the season and then went onto to win the cup. Sometimes talented teams go through extended periods were they underachieve.

My starting point is talent wise we are safely in the top half of teams in the league and 16 out of 31 teams make the playoffs, and for now 8 out of 15 teams in the West make the playoffs and there isn't 8 more talented teams than us in our conference. And since I'm not part of the gloom and doom crowd I will believe we are a playoff team until we are actually not a playoff team.

Reactions: GNP and Gil Fisher

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What gets thrown out, isn't necessarily what GM's are talking about. At this time I think the vast majority of leaks is from agents trying to create ideal circumstances for their clients. There is little to no value to contract negotiations or for trades for information to come from GM's. If a player has no movement limitations there is no value at all for either GM to share any information before a trade is consummated.

Yes but - What agent would be 'leaking' rumours about trading Ehlers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad