Speculation: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
As many of you know I'm a prospect junkie and now that the 2018 draft is over. We might as well start the discussion on the 2019 draft.

I'll post some quick scouting reports to get everyone up to speed on what I know

Top Forwards
Jack Hughes - LC - 5'11 - 161 - U18, USDP
Jack Hughes at eliteprospects.com
Jack Hughes is next in the Hughes family tree to become draft eligible. Incredible skater with fluid edgework and speed, Kane like stick handling, very high end vision and a great shot. Type of player that makes those around him better. Should be a lock to go #1 at this point. There are some questions around whether he can play center in the NHL, but I think with some added muscle on his frame he definitely can.

Kaapo Kakko - RW/LW - 6'3 - 207 - TPS, Liiga
Kaapo Kakko at eliteprospects.com
The next one from Finland, Kaapo is a big boy that uses his size very effectively. He has great hands, uses his size to help shield the puck well and generates very well off the rush. Should be among the top wingers to be drafted and with a good season in Liiga could definitely go top 3. Probably the top goalscorer of the draft.

Alex Newhook - RW/RC - 5'11 - 183 - Victoria, BCHL
Alex Newhook at eliteprospects.com
Newhook often plays center in Victoria but is likely more of a winger at the NHL level. A great skater with very good top end speed, handles the puck extremely well. Likens himself to Patrick Kane in terms of stickhandling. Handles well and can make plays at high speed. Good enough shot arsenal but prefers to be more of a playmaker off the rush.

Raphaël Lavoie - RC - 6'3 - 192 - Halifax, QMJHL
Raphaël Lavoie at eliteprospects.com
A real big kid who has a nose for the net and a great release in tight. Has a tonne of clutch goals, many in OT. Isn't afraid to drop the gloves and plays hard and physical every shift. Still very raw player as he has a lot to work on but the potential is sky high.

Dylan Cozens - RC/RW - 6'3 - 176 - Lethbridge, WHL
Dylan Cozens at eliteprospects.com
One of 3 high end WHL centers available in this draft. Cozens is a bit of a bean pole but plays an up tempo, though not very physical for his size, game. Has a very quick and accurate release and loves to set up for the one-timer.

Peyton Krebs - LC/LW - 5'11 - 172 - Kootenay, WHL
Peyton Krebs at eliteprospects.com
It's tough to pin whether Krebs will be a center at the NHL level but there is no doubt he can play center in the WHL. A great skater with smooth hands who can make plays with speed. Krebs see's the ice very well and gets the puck through some very tight spaces. Also has a decent two-way game as he's always on the puck trying to disrupt plays and force turnovers.

Kirby Dach - RC - 6'3 - 185 - Saskatoon, WHL
Kirby Dach at eliteprospects.com
Easily the most raw of the big centers available in the draft. A big physical kid who loves to use his size to his advantage. He's got great hands and a pass first mentality but often passes up great opportunities of his own as his shot arsenal needs some work. With some hard work in the off season he could really climb up the rankings.

Nolan Foote - LW - 6'3 - 187 - Kelowna, WHL
Nolan Foote at eliteprospects.com
A big strong skater that is very hard to knock off the puck. I think a lot of scouts were hoping he would improve a bit more since last season but hopefully this off season is a big one for him. Plays with a lot of snarl and has a great pair of mitts. Needs to improve his skating and work on his shooting a bit more.

Arthur Kaliyev - LW - 6'1 - 165 - Hamilton, OHL
Arthur Kaliyev at eliteprospects.com
One of the lesser known kids but one to watch out for. Led all 2019 CHL draft eligible in goals. A great skater with a really slick release. Someone to keep an eye on.

Alex Turcotte - LC - 5'11 - 194 - U18, USDP
Alex Turcotte at eliteprospects.com
Got overshadowed a lot by Hughes this year but someone to look out for. Great skater who plays a strong two-way game.

Sam Poulin - LW - 6'1 - 207 - Sherbrooke, QMJHL
Samuel Poulin at eliteprospects.com
Beastly kid who uses his size really well. Has a slick release and not afraid to drive the net.

Jakob Pelletier - LW - 5'9 - 160 - Moncton, QMJHL
Jakob Pelletier at eliteprospects.com
Undersized but very lethal. Makes plays at speed, high vision, great passer but can also finish. Might be smaller then he's listed.

Cole Caufield - RW - 5'6 - 154 - U18, USDP
Cole Caufield at eliteprospects.com
Very undersized but incredibly shifty skater who finds the holes in the defence and just converts. Heck of a shot for someone so small.

Top Defencemen
I'll get some writeups for these guys out soon.

Bowen Byram - LD - 6'0 - 180 - Vancouver, WHL
Bowen Byram at eliteprospects.com

Anttoni Honka - RD - 5'10 - 170 - JYP, Liiga
Anttoni Honka at eliteprospects.com

Alex Vlasic - LD - 6'5 - 190 - US18, USDP
Alex Vlasic at eliteprospects.com

Matthew Robertson - LD - 6'3 - 196 - Edmonton, WHL
Matthew Robertson at eliteprospects.com

Tobias Björnfot - LD - 6'0 - 187 - Djurgårdens, SHL
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/344751/tobias-bjornfot

Ben Brinkman - LD - 6'1 - 181 - Edina, USHS
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/327230/ben-brinkman

Artemi Kynazev - LD - 5'11 - 176 - Kazan, MHL
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/398450/artemi-knyazev

Mikko Kokkonen - LD - 5'11 - Kukirit, Liiga
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/347571/mikko-kokkonen

Top Goalies
I'll get some writeups for these guys out soon.

Spencer Knight - LG - 6'3 - 194 - U18, USDP
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/379758/spencer-knight

Taylor Gauthier - RG - 6'1 - 190 - Prince George, WHL
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/322108/taylor-gauthier

Boston Bilous - LG - 6'3 - 214 - Edmonton, WHL
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/337744/boston-bilous

Isaiah Saville - RG - 6'1 - 181 - Minnesota, NAHL
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/365042/isaiah-saville

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Will be interesting to see Hughes' development. Wonder if he will be a C in the show or similar to Keller/Marner/Kane where he converts to W

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just to add some thoughts on this draft.

It's looking very very forward heavy. Light on defencemen, maybe above average on goalies.
The U18 squad for the USDP is going to be very good. And I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them snag another WJC title. Especially if they get some guys like Whalstrom, Hughes, Tkachuk, Farabee, Wilde, Samuelsson and Wise back.

A very strong draft for centers and scorers I think. Below average for mobile defenders but they are preforming below expectation right now. We'll see if they step it up for the season.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Will be interesting to see Hughes' development. Wonder if he will be a C in the show or similar to Keller/Marner/Kane where he converts to W

A personally think he will. He's on another tier of talent compared to those guys IMO.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Just imagine this board if we were tanking this season.

Our WHL watchers Daximus and Joe H constantly pushing the board consensus towards the WHL prospects, as it's the best WHL draft in like forever.
Our Finnish friends constantly pushing the board consensus towards the Finns, as they could have multiple top10 picks.
And in the end, the Jets just select the best American available, because it's also a great draft for the USNTDP and the Jets like them.

Western Canadians, Finns, Americans. This draft really should be taking place in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Maukkis

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I love Rafael Lavoie, kid came on leaps and bounds last year, and still has so much potential. Big kid, great hands and a solid shot. Talk about clutch too! I'm so interested in how his draft year goes.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Meh draft. Win the SC this season, then tank for Holtz in 2020.
Isn't Hughes like doubling Svechnikov's USHL production, or something like that? And Svech was outstanding for a 16-17 year old in ushl. Luckily hughes will go to Ottawa so we don't have to worry about him

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
oh ****... I completely forgot that. I cant believe Dorion did this to us, Central is tough enough already

Yep watch the Sens win 1OA and Colorado builds a powerhouse because of it. Literally the only thing Dorion will ever be remembered for.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just imagine this board if we were tanking this season.

Our WHL watchers Daximus and Joe H constantly pushing the board consensus towards the WHL prospects, as it's the best WHL draft in like forever.
Our Finnish friends constantly pushing the board consensus towards the Finns, as they could have multiple top10 picks.
And in the end, the Jets just select the best American available, because it's also a great draft for the USNTDP and the Jets like them.

Western Canadians, Finns, Americans. This draft really should be taking place in Winnipeg.

On top of that the Swedes also have a decent pool and the QMJHL pool is ample as well. Really the only weak part of this draft is Ontario.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Yep watch the Sens win 1OA and Colorado builds a powerhouse because of it. Literally the only thing Dorion will ever be remembered for.

There’s still a chance Colarodo sinks again, atleast we can be glad Colarodo doesn’t have Zadina, Hughes or Dobson for now

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There’s still a chance Colarodo sinks again, atleast we can be glad Colarodo doesn’t have Zadina, Hughes or Dobson for now

They have a pretty solid young core. With Makar and Timmins potentially joining their dcore next year. They will be a very very quick team.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We only need to draft at least two players that are going to take four years to develop at most.

I really don't want to trade either of our 1st or 2nd rounder picks for this year unless it's a crazy good deal. We should be able to snag two really good players in this draft.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I really don't want to trade either of our 1st or 2nd rounder picks for this year unless it's a crazy good deal. We should be able to snag two really good players in this draft.

Agreed, we can't afford to further weaken our pipeline. So would you say this is one of the best WHL classes in a while? It looks like there are a number of very promising players.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, we can't afford to further weaken our pipeline. So would you say this is one of the best WHL classes in a while? It looks like there are a number of very promising players.

Yeah it pretty damn good. 3 really solid centers in Krebs, Cozens and Dach. Two more centers who could break out n Morrisseau and Barlage.
Lots of solid wingers in Foote, Toporowski, Mutala, Hamaliuk, Williams.
Two of the top Dmen in the draft in Byram and Roberston.
And 3 of the top goalies in Bilous, Gauthier and Wolf.

I think we are really seeing the fruits of the CSSHL coming to form now. Not all of these kids are from there but it is definitely helping in produce some elite talent now.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah it pretty damn good. 3 really solid centers in Krebs, Cozens and Dach. Two more centers who could break out n Morrisseau and Barlage.
Lots of solid wingers in Foote, Toporowski, Mutala, Hamaliuk, Williams.
Two of the top Dmen in the draft in Byram and Roberston.
And 3 of the top goalies in Bilous, Gauthier and Wolf.

I think we are really seeing the fruits of the CSSHL coming to form now. Not all of these kids are from there but it is definitely helping in produce some elite talent now.

What would that be? I am a bit unfamiliar with changes in processes at the grass routes level

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What would that be? I am a bit unfamiliar with changes in processes at the grass routes level

The Canadian Sport School Hockey League. Started in 2009 with just 5 schools across BC and Alberta. As of the coming season they have 19 schools now participating from Victoria, BC to Winnipeg, MB in the provinces of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. With 5 different levels of play; Bantam Varsity, Bantam Prep, Elite 15's, Midget Varsity and Midget Prep. Among some of the more prestiges schools that gave joined are Notre Dame Hounds out of Wilcox, SK, Burnaby Winter Club out of Burnaby, BC, Pursuit of Excellence Prep out of Kelowna, BC.

The main reason the OHL and QMJHL produce such high level players in my opinion is they have a dense population competing in highly competitive leagues a the grassroots level. Whereas Western Canadian leagues are very spread out among major cities. What this does is bring the 11,000,000 population into an elite travel league. Which I think also prepares kids for the travel schedules of the WHL and eventually NHL. Of course these are Prep Schools so the costs are massive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad