2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Liking what I'm reading on Bowen.

I thought he did really well at the U18s. But then that seems to be a trend with D-1 U18 players. Remember Milos Roman at the 2017 U18? I thought for sure he would be a late first, early 2nd rounder. Didn't really come together for him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't see Dach even coming close to challenging Hughes. Hughes is already being called a franchise player and basically the Dahlin of next draft(Consensus 1OA). Dach is someone you pick in the 3-10 range. It's going to be Hughes and Kakko next year.

We will see. I'm making a bold prediction now and it's really going to depend on the development curve staying as it has for Dach

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Would be very interesting. Dach competing with Hughes would really make things spicy!

I think Dach has the skills and the mind, his growth spurt really threw things for a loop but as he adapts to his body, it's certainly a discussion in the known commodity versus the guy who's shot up the charts and has size down the middlr

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Sounds like usntdp again
That would be real close to a waste of a year of development in my book. He's already way too good for the U-18 program, I was expecting him to do a Matthews and look at playing in Europe for his draft year. I guess Mississauga would be an option too, he did play all his bantam and midget hockey in Ontario.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
My favourites from out west

Kirby Dach - C, Saskatoon Blades, WHL
Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL
Dylan Cozens - C, Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL
Peyton Krebs - LW, Kootenay Ice, WHL
Dustin Wolf - G, Everett Silvertips, WHL
Massimo Rizzo - C/LW, Penticton Vees, BCHL
Nolan Foote - LW, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
Harrison Baisdell - F, Chilliwack Chiefs, BCHL
Matthew Robertson - LD, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
Nolan Maier - G, Saskatoon Blades, WHL
Luke Toporowski - LW, Spokane Chiefs, WHL
Keaton Mastrodonato - C, Alberni Valley Bulldogs, BCHL

Wild cards:

Alex Young - C, Canmore Eagles, AJHL
Reece Vitelli - RW, Everett Silvertips, WHL
Gianni Fairbrother - LD, Everett Silvertips, WHL (late birthday who might pull a Wyatte Wylie, but I think injuries have stunted his development too much)
Taylor Gauthier - G, Prince George Cougars, WHL
Dillon Hamaliuk - LW, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
My favourites from out west

Kirby Dach - C, Saskatoon Blades, WHL
Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL
Dylan Cozens - C, Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL
Peyton Krebs - LW, Kootenay Ice, WHL
Dustin Wolf - G, Everett Silvertips, WHL
Massimo Rizzo - C/LW, Penticton Vees, BCHL
Nolan Foote - LW, Kelowna Rockets, WHL
Harrison Baisdell - F, Chilliwack Chiefs, BCHL
Matthew Robertson - LD, Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
Nolan Maier - G, Saskatoon Blades, WHL
Luke Toporowski - LW, Spokane Chiefs, WHL
Keaton Mastrodonato - C, Alberni Valley Bulldogs, BCHL

Wild cards:

Alex Young - C, Canmore Eagles, AJHL
Reece Vitelli - RW, Everett Silvertips, WHL
Gianni Fairbrother - LD, Everett Silvertips, WHL (late birthday who might pull a Wyatte Wylie, but I think injuries have stunted his development too much)
Taylor Gauthier - G, Prince George Cougars, WHL
Dillon Hamaliuk - LW, Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL

Man, what happened to Topping ? I was sure he'd go 2nd or 3rd round.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
That would be real close to a waste of a year of development in my book. He's already way too good for the U-18 program, I was expecting him to do a Matthews and look at playing in Europe for his draft year. I guess Mississauga would be an option too, he did play all his bantam and midget hockey in Ontario.
Playing for the NTDP, he atleast gets games against NCAA teams, in comparison to playing vs. 16-20 year olds in the CHL.

I agree playing in Europe is the best option, but I'm not sure how that works. Matthews had to turn 18 and graduate high school before going to Switzerland, but I know other Europeans (Bokk, Rossi, Ikonen, etc.) switch countries all the time and get into pro games before turning 18, so I'm not sure.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Man, what happened to Topping ? I was sure he'd go 2nd or 3rd round.

A poster on the Prospect board made a good point about how teams are seemingly picking USHL/Euro guys in the later rounds so they can get their rights and sign them later, and then invite the CHL kids to camp, to basically gain a "free pick."

That being said, I don't know why a team wouldn't draft him. I'm certain San Jose will sign him at the end of their camp.

Reactions: Andrei79

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Matthews was a late birthday who was too old for the US NTDP.

He also turned 18 early in the season which allowed him to play in the Swiss league after his birthday. Swiss league is 18. That said other euro leagues let 17 year olds play.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Matthews was a late birthday who was too old for the US NTDP.

He also turned 18 early in the season which allowed him to play in the Swiss league after his birthday. Swiss league is 18. That said other euro leagues let 17 year olds play.
Kids play in the Swiss League before 18 all the time. Matthews was different because he was an import, I guess.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
If we tank, and yes, we do have the team to tank, I want none other than Jack Hughes. Franchise defining player.

But, I don't condone tanking. Just saying if it happens that way and we win the lottery.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
A poster on the Prospect board made a good point about how teams are seemingly picking USHL/Euro guys in the later rounds so they can get their rights and sign them later, and then invite the CHL kids to camp, to basically gain a "free pick."

That being said, I don't know why a team wouldn't draft him. I'm certain San Jose will sign him at the end of their camp.
You can't with NCAAers, but Euros can be signed and loaned back to their old teams I believe.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I assume this thread being the most popular this year, as it looks like another long year for Montreal. How low can we get? I think we can battle Arizona and Vancouver for the 1st pick. Lose for Hughes!

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Arizona should start to improve. Our biggest competition IMO:

Buffalo
Detroit
NYR
NYI (if they lose Tavares)
Ottawa (Colorado has the pick)
Vancouver

My hope is the Sens make some win now moves because if they really suck it's going to look terrible for them. Though Colorado drafting Hughes with that pick would be hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad