2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I will repeat it... I think yes that jack Hughes will be better than jack Eichel , Matthews , Barkov and mackinnon and barzal.

Laught of me all you want...

If we had that conversation in 1978 I would told you that Gretzky would become a legend and you would have said otherwise...

No I wouldn't.
Quit comparing Jack Hughes to Wayne Gretzky, it's more than a tad ridiculous. Gretzky was scoring 4-5 pts for every pts scored by Hughes at the same age.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Holtz with another Stamkos like wrister to make it 2-2 after hitting 2 posts in this game... Best wrister I ever saw from a 16 yrs old kid.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
No I wouldn't.
Quit comparing Jack Hughes to Wayne Gretzky, it's more than a tad ridiculous. Gretzky was scoring 4-5 pts for every pts scored by Hughes at the same age.

Ok and you don't bring up Ribeiro example....all you trying to do is to say that I compare Gretzky to Hughes and you too smart to know that it is not the case at all.

But you know what I still think that in 78.... if I would told you that Gretzky would become better than Lafleur..you would not have believed me because you are stuck with the size thing..

Don't worry you are not alone..you know why....believe me or not...I was in the stands at the old forum in 1978 when I saw this beauty on ice....Wayne Gretzky at 16 in the world junior.

I was 10 years old.... and when it was clear even for me at 10... that we had in front of us a generational player....

Then me and my father....all we heard from people around us..was.......wait and see when he will face the big serge savard , Robinson etc. In the NHL......little p***y Gretzky will be destroyed and will not be able to make his fancy moves.

Yes ...even the great Gretzky was facing that... you know some people who does not know what iq is....and still think that size and even speed is the most important things in hockey...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Dach saying he doesnt think he touched that puck lol, kiiiind of looked like he does tho

Canada is just... its not even fair this year with all those guys.. we have to have one of them...

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Raymond is good but Holtz has superstar wrote all over him, should give Lafreniere a good push for 1st OV in 2020..
As far as the tournament's concerned, Raymond has out-shined him (and probably everyone else for that matter). There's no denying Holtz has incredible potential though.

All things considered, Sweden did quite well against a stacked TC. Mostly thanks to these two 02's.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Krebs impressed the hell out of me today.

Never paid him much attention as he's been classified as a winger on most lists. But he's REALLY good up the middle.

Hard to knock off the puck (especially for his size), effortless stride, motor that never stops. A lot like Turcotte actually, but might have higher scoring upside.

Definitely one to keep an eye out for over the course of the year.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You are talking about 2009-2010.

Playing against NJ: No center.
Playing against Boston: Bergeron was on him or on Jeff Carter / Richards? Yeah...
Playing against Montreal: Plekanec, sorry... for the past 15 years, we have no center.

Did he win the cup?

Pointing to one year, by one player as an example, doesn't make for a great argument. Its rather awful in fact. You seem ready to use any statistical edge case to make a nonsensical argument.

Last cups:

Toews, 3 cups
Crosby, 3 cups
Kopitar, 2 cups
Bergeron, 1 cup
Kuznetsov, 1 cup
Datsyuk, 1 cup

(nobody under 5'11')

Your knocks on Briere are pretty ridiculous. His two highest scoring series were against Chicago and Boston.

I mean, no he didn't win the cup. Here's a question: how much more than 12 points in 6 games could he have gotten, if he was 5'11" instead. That's 10 more points than Carter or Richards. He had more than Carter, Richards and Giroux combined.

But yeah, definitely his size was the reason they didn't win. And a case report is important here. Because Briere did it yearly, he single handidly destroys your premise and the argument here is Hughes has that same skill and compete to overcome being 2.54 cms too short.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
As far as the tournament's concerned, Raymond has out-shined him (and probably everyone else for that matter). There's no denying Holtz has incredible potential though.

All things considered, Sweden did quite well against a stacked TC. Mostly thanks to these two 02's.
Soderstrom out with broken finger. Big break for sweden.

Reactions: Habs76

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kirby's edgework is so good that I'm not worried about his straight line speed. Kids a great skater he just needs to get some man muscles on those legs to generate raw power.

I can see why Button and Miller are crushing on Cozens over Dach right now in the tournament. Cozens is a more polished player at this point but in terms of raw upside.. Dach just has that smoothness to his game.

Would love either of them.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ok and you don't bring up Ribeiro example....all you trying to do is to say that I compare Gretzky to Hughes and you too smart to know that it is not the case at all.

But you know what I still think that in 78.... if I would told you that Gretzky would become better than Lafleur..you would not have believed me because you are stuck with the size thing..

Don't worry you are not alone..you know why....believe me or not...I was in the stands at the old forum in 1978 when I saw this beauty on ice....Wayne Gretzky at 16 in the world junior.

I was 10 years old.... and when it was clear even for me at 10... that we had in front of us a generational player....

Then me and my father....all we heard from people around us..was.......wait and see when he will face the big serge savard , Robinson etc. In the NHL......little ***** Gretzky will be destroyed and will not be able to make his fancy moves.

Yes ...even the great Gretzky was facing that... you know some people who does not know what iq is....and still think that size and even speed is the most important things in hockey...

While I won’t go so far as to compare Hughes to the Great One, I get your points and agree. Skill, coupled with high IQ trumps everything. Sure, comparable players in terms of skill and IQ where size is a differentiator, I suppose I will likely lean towards the bigger player depending on position of course.

I mean, if size was the main criteria when gauging a prospects future effectiveness, we may as well drop Suzuki, Krebs, Turcotte, Newhook and any other player under 6’/200lbs.

I was talking about this topic with a co-worker and he brought up a good example of a smaller player facing bigger ones and losing... Kariya. However, I argue it was more the cheap shots and blind side hits that did him in, something they’ve really cut down compared to a decade ago.

In the end, Hughes may not be more than a 60pt center. At the same time, he may be a 90pt player. Either way, whether he scores 60 or 90, that will be due to how he develops in skill rather than his ability to muck it up in corners.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

Then me and my father....all we heard from people around us..was.......wait and see when he will face the big serge savard , Robinson etc. In the NHL......little ***** Gretzky will be destroyed and will not be able to make his fancy moves.

And you are more interested in labeling me than trying to read and understand what I said. What you say is 100% conjecture and interpretation. I always believed that Gretzky would dominate because he had an incredible edge over everybody else. I like Gaudreau, liked Martin-St-Louis tremendously: I'm not against small players. I'm small <---
When it comes to evaluating hockey talent and to rank it I have to go with the evidence of what I see.

I don't dislike Jack Hughes, I just don't have him evaluated at the same place you do. I don't see any comparison with Gretzky. Jack is not in the same tier of talent. Jack is smaller. Jack does not have a large edge over NHL players. Size is not everything, size is much less important than 10 or 20 years ago, but it still matters: it will always matter. Denying it is like denying physics.

I also think that the 2015-2020 period will remembered in 30 years as the transition years to a fast game (it used to be that size was the first factor, now it is speed). Because it is the beginning of the transition, smaller players who are fast have had a small window of opportunity they won't have in 5-10 years when the bigger guys will have accelerated themselves. We've seen the same thing happen in every sport.

Would you draft a 6'0'' goalie in 2018? It's clear that 6'3"+ goalies have won and it's never going back. Soon they will be 6'5''+ in average. Yet in the 80's and 90's the same arguments were made about speed with the small goalies. You know what, the big guys are as fast as the small guys now, and they are bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad