2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
So, if I understand you correctly, you're more worried about his strength than his height itself. If you're rather concerned by his weight, why did you go ballistic then when I said an extra inch is not a make-or-break thing for Hughes?

To be fair, I do not know how much Hughes currently weight. So I didn't realize your "much better" version of Hughes was mostly an heavier Hughes. I laid off that kind of mensuration scrutiny the past couple of years due to my postgraduate studies ;)

lol, yeah...;)

I went ballistic on the argument that 1 inch is a trivial amount in a distribution. It might not be a very big difference for a specific player however, but who knows. Many think Jack will be 5'11''- 170 in the end.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I didn't go into denial mode man, I accept these examples. They are good counter examples. But examples are not very mathematical arguments (they fail to represent trends).

What would Hughes have to do for me to evaluate him as top 5 center in the world prospect? Think about Pavel Bure's WJC performance, or Crosby (Crosby was passing the eye test at 16?) That's the moment he has to show it, to be it ...but first let's see if he beats Lafreniere and Canada in the current tournament (if he was a top 5 center prospect he would easily step on the gas and destroy Canada tomorrow, this is a U18 tournament, he should be way superior to this level at this point).

Very fair points.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Please make Kotkaniemi - Kakko happen, this is going to be unreal. They got good chemistry in WJC last year.

I wouldn't mind this....BUT, that would mean that again, we would not have an elite center in this rebuild, unless we tank until 2021 (that's a possibility regardless).

I'm more positive than most that Drouin can become our #1 C, a valid one. If it's Drouin-Kotka-Poehling, you would then need Ds a lot more than Kakko, as you won't draft him to play on the 2nd line. I would rather wait for Lafreniere in 2020 as the top LW.

Lafreniere- Drouin - Scherbak
Lekhonen - Kotka - Gallagher
Danault - Poehling - Hudon
Who cares

Byram - Juulsen
Mete - Weber
who cares

You already have something there. If you have to trade Weber/Price at that point they will return things.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Please make Kotkaniemi - Kakko happen, this is going to be unreal. They got good chemistry in WJC last year.

just seeing him fight off defenders and how strong he is on the puck while being quite a good skater has me really hoping we could get him. He's just such a scary mix of skating, strength and skill.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
That play right there is why Dach's not a top five pick.

If I'm drafting a player that early it better damn well be someone who WANTS the puck on their stick in the crucial moments. Not someone who'll make a Blake Comeau-esque drop pass on a clear breakaway in the semi-finals of an international tournament. Weak mentality.

Quick reminder that he scored only seven goals last year.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
That period really highlighted the area Dach has to show progress this year.

I don't know if it's lack of confidence or poor shot selection. He first missed an open net from a great setup by Krebs.
But then went for a pass (no-look behind-the-back no less) on a breakaway down 3-2... that's no bueno. Gave me DD flashbacks.

The line itself was dominant but those two sequences stuck out.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
lol Barron making a Nathan Beaulieu of himself... to be fair no Canadian defensemen looked good, not even Byram...

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
That was one hell of a pass by Byram with like 3 seconds left though. Takes incredible composure to pull that off.

Reactions: Redux91

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That play right there is why Dach's not a top five pick.

If I'm drafting a player that early it better damn well be someone who WANTS the puck on their stick in the crucial moments. Not someone who'll make a Blake Comeau-esque drop pass on a clear breakaway in the semi-finals of an international tournament. Weak mentality.

Quick reminder that he scored only seven goals last year.

Dach is definitely a playmaker before a shooter and he needs to snap out of that mentality more often. While it was a terrible play and decision, you're overreacting. These kind of 6'4" RH centers with skill are tough to come by, especially for the Habs. I don't care about his 7 goals this past year so long as he shows good progression in that regard. Getzlaf had 9 goals and 18 points prior to his draft year. I see some similarities between the two stylistically, though Getzlaf has the mean streak that Dach doesn't seem to have. Both are playmakers before scorers, but Getz showed earlier in his career he can be a goal scorer too. More recently he's just content to dish it off. I would like to see Dach bump up to at least 25 goals this year along with a boatload of assists.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yeah I would. Centers are just too valuable. You get a chance to run a Dach-Kotkaniemi-Poehling C line for the next decade. you take it.
I've only watched the last two Canadian games and right now if I had a chance I would pick Cozens over Dach 10 out of 10 times. He seems to have the better hockey IQ, looks like a better shooter, has a better defensive game and appears to have better agility. But as I said it has only been two games.

Reactions: Redux91

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I've only watched the last two Canadian games and right now if I had a chance I would pick Cozens over Dach 10 out of 10 times. He seems to have the better hockey IQ, looks like a better shooter, has a better defensive game and appears to have better agility. But as I said it has only been two games.

Cozens vs. Dach comes down to this. Cozens is more physically developed already and more polished. You are really looking at current vs potential ability. I think the ceiling is higher for Dach and that's why I have him rated higher. But that can change if the Dach I see at the end of the year isn't different enough from what I see now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad