2019 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Jack Hughes would look good in a Habs jersey. He's marketable too. It would be incredible to have him. For once, Montreal needs a superstar.

Any 200 ft. center with great skills along with the desire to be the best player is what the Habs need Most!!!...
2019 Entry Draft has 3 centers that can fill the Bill, Hughes #1(May 14th 2001), Cozens #2(February 9th 2001), Newhook #3(January 28th 2001), all play every shift like it may be their last, the drive that wins SCC's.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Any 200 ft. center with great skills along with the desire to be the best player is what the Habs need Most!!!...
2019 Entry Draft has 3 centers that can fill the Bill, Hughes #1, Cozens #2, Newhook #3, all play every shift like it may be their last, the drive that wins SCC's.

I'm kinda skeptical of Cozens off the bat. He's obviously one to watch but I wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up being 4th among the big 4 WHL prospects this year.

Did you end up purchasing your grizzlies tickets?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'm kinda skeptical of Cozens off the bat. He's obviously one to watch but I wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up being 4th among the big 4 WHL prospects this year.

Did you end up purchasing your grizzlies tickets?

Lots of great players on the west coast for the Vancouver based 2019 Entry Draft, tickets for both Royals & Grizzlies will be a priority for this season.:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:
Expecting the Bronco's in the WHL Finals & Grizzlies at the RBC Final.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Jack Hughes would look good in a Habs jersey. He's marketable too. It would be incredible to have him. For once, Montreal needs a superstar.

Kids-sized jerseys will be flying off the shelves for sure! :sarcasm:

Obviously I want a player who will help us of course, but one factor Hughes would add if we got him is he is dynamic and exciting to watch. We've been missing that for a couple seasons now...

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Kids-sized jerseys will be flying off the shelves for sure! :sarcasm:

Obviously I want a player who will help us of course, but one factor Hughes would add if we got him is he is dynamic and exciting to watch. We've been missing that for a couple seasons now...

Imagine going from a C depth of Poehling-Evans-Vejdemo last season to Hughes-Kotkaniemi-Poehling-Olofsson-Hillis-McShane-Fonstad-Evans-Vejdemo in 2019... (prospect wise, of course)

Edit: Damn...

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I like Matthew Boldy.

He'll need to improve his speed to get into the first, but he's smart offensively, has some hands and sandpaper, but I like his scoring touch the most. There's potential there as a good scorer with compete.

I'm interested to see if the goals come with the U18 and internationally.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Man sell pacio weber price, I want Hughes, get 2 other first pick and decent prospects and we are done the rebuild. Hugues-Kotka-Poehling would be the best 1-2-3 centers in the whole league in 4-5 years

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
So I broke my bike on the drive home and had to walk it back, missed the first two periods of Canada's pre-Hlinka camp game, White vs. Red.

From what I saw, the following players really impressed:

Red:
#14 D Bowen Byram - Skating, decision making, can make a play with a defender on top of him.
#41 D Justin Barron - Moves the puck with purpose, can outsmart opposing forwards and find lanes and is tough to knock off the puck.
#44 RW Graeme Clarke - Good playmaker and puckhandler, distributes the puck well.

White:
#42 G Taylor Gauthier - Stood on his head. Showed the perfect blend of athleticism, positioning and agressiveness.
#18 C Alex Newhook - Smart, deceptive, did a great job of finding open spaces. Has great agility and good speed, with a quick snapshot to boot.
#37 RW Xavier Parent - Small and a relatively slow skater, but has the agility and the never-quit attitude. A good set of hands too.
#16 C Brett Budgell - Has grit and an agressive streak coupled with a strong wristshot and agile skating.
#38 LW Nicholas Porco - A strong skater, good hands, plays with lots of intensity. Competes and wins puck battles in bunches.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I actually think its Dach that is overrated.
Perhaps, I question Dach's stickhandling. Cozens to me just looks, well... bad. He telegraphs every play with the puck on his stick- every turn, pass, stickhandle. It must be too easy to defend against him when you can so easily predict what he's going to do.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Perhaps, I question Dach's stickhandling. Cozens to me just looks, well... bad. He telegraphs every play with the puck on his stick- every turn, pass, stickhandle. It must be too easy to defend against him when you can so easily predict what he's going to do.
Yet he was the best player on his team most nights and had a better season than Dach.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There's a completely different physiological effect when you grow normally versus hitting a growth spurt at 16-17 when you go from 5'9 to 6'3
Cozwns was 5 11 at 15, its not like he didnt grow either.

All these excuse sound like McCarron excuse though, youre siding with the moar size, the dark side.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Cozwns was 5 11 at 15, its not like he didnt grow either.

All these excuse sound like McCarron excuse though, youre siding with the moar size, the dark side.

Nah I'm siding with the kid who's highly skilled when drafted and is now getting used to the changes in his body, and has the opportunity to be one of the best centers in the draft.

Dudes good and any perceived faults with his stickhandling all appear to me to be a side effect of the massive growth spurt he had in under a year.

If the coordination etc. Doesn't improve a lot through the year then I expect him to drop a bit down from the top 5.. but if he gets a handle on it, he's gonna be the clear #2

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nah I'm siding with the kid who's highly skilled when drafted and is now getting used to the changes in his body, and has the opportunity to be one of the best centers in the draft.

Dudes good and any perceived faults with his stickhandling all appear to me to be a side effect of the massive growth spurt he had in under a year.

If the coordination etc. Doesn't improve a lot through the year then I expect him to drop a bit down from the top 5.. but if he gets a handle on it, he's gonna be the clear #2

Assuming no one else develops, sure. Assuming Newhook, Turcotte, Kakko and Cozen stagnate is a hell of a gamble though

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Assuming no one else develops, sure. Assuming Newhook, Turcotte, Kakko and Cozen stagnate is a hell of a gamble though

I get both your arguments. I also have Dach quite high right now on my list. I have hope for him based on the same arguments as WTK, though obviously, depending on the progression of the other top forwards we'll see how it looks come March to May.

As of today, based on my completely unscientific and illogical expectations, my top-5 are:

Hughes
Newhook
Dach
Turcotte
Kakko

Byram, Honka are on the bubble for me. I like Cozens also but not sure if he's in my top-5 to 7... yet.

Reactions: ArsHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad