Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
You are being overly dramatic. No one is cancelling season tickets if we take Kakko.

Putting unrealistic expectations on Hughes as well.
I disagree that Ive put any unrealistic expectations on him - he earned the right to be the consensus #1. The discussions of Kakko at 1 are no more pure fantasy than us signing Karlsson and Panarin in one summer

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This is just ridiculous. Hughes is a great player but, like every other prospects, he has still some questions in his game. I think he is the most likely candidate to be the best player in this draft, but it's not 100 percent certain. If you look last 10-15 drafts you can see that almost every other year the best player isn't the first pick. With McDavid it was a sure thing, but this year isn't similar.

I would love if the Devils selected Hughes. But if Shero and Castron decides in a different way I support them because I trust their decision making.

I do, as well. But to me, the distance between Hughes and Kakko is equal to the distance between Kakko and Byram/Turcotte. So, also to me, it's an inane argument.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
100% or not its a high-majority consensus - no GM is putting their job on the line for the difference in the talents. It wont be that big. But it will likely be in Hughes favor and most scouts see that.

Fans know it too. They would be very upset and rightfully so

the decision is pretty much made by the scouts, not by fans who want some certain player. I remember how people were upset when Columbus passed on Puljujarvi who was even #1 at some points in mock draft but fell to 4th and every know what happened in that case.. and what about that Yakupov case? oh and remember when Ekblad was supposed to be the next generational D (by some people)?

Making too early statements is not smart, let the professionals make the choice and be happy whoever they will pick since they know better than you.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I've said this several times before, but I would actually be surprised if Jack Hughes was the only player from this year's US-NTDP selected by the Devils in the 2019 draft.

Though many Devils' fans pipe-dream of somehow acquiring Cole Caufield or Matthew Boldy is about as likely as coming home to find bigfoot on your front porch eating Fruity Pebbles, the Devils have 6 more picks between #34 & #96 and this US-NTDP is just loaded with NHL prospects.

Though there are some US-NTDP forwards who could interest the Devils in the later rounds, most notably John Beecher (if he falls to #34) and Judd Caulfield (could fall into the third round), most of the development team's major forwards will be gone by the first 15 picks (Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy). If RW Patrick Moynihan or LW Michael Gildon were to fall into the late rounds, they would have to be considered possibilities for the Devils, as well.

Still, the most likely scenario is that the Devils draft a US-NTDP defenseman, as D remains the largest organizational need and most of the US blueliners (all but Cam York) have a chance to last past the first round.

My personal preference (which I don't shut up about) is Case McCarthy -- a incredibly strong and physical, shutdown RD who also skates quite well and makes smart decisions with the puck. Henry Thrun is certainly also a possibility, as is Drew Helleson. Both Thrun and Helleson fly a bit under the radar on their talented squad, but both have very high floors as productive and mobile bottom-4 defensemen.

Marshall Warren and Alex Vlasic are two US-NTDP defensemen who have higher draft stock than Thrun/Helleson/McCarthy for myriad reasons -- it would likely take the #34 pick to land one of those two. As Warren is an undersized LD (though he is excellent), I'm not sure I would use that pick on him, considering the Devils already have Will Butcher, Jeremy Davies and Ty Smith fitting that description. Vlasic offers the size that the Devils blueline needs, but his game needs more work in my opinion than some of the other US-NTDP blueliners.

Of course we should mention Bobby Brink. Though not a "member" of the US-NTDP team, he joined them for the U18 in Sweden and is a RW with extreme offensive upside. He's a strong bet to go in the late first round, but if he slipped through to #34 I'm certain the Devils scouting team would be over the moon with the opportunity to draft him with an eye on pairing him with Hughes in the future. If both Brink and Beecher were available at #34? Man, that would be some conundrum.

Ultimately, my big later-round US-NTDP target remains Case McCarthy. He should remain available with the Devils later 2nd round picks (currently #55 & #60), and he checks every box of what the Devils scouts look for (skates well, high character, high hockey IQ) while checking off a bunch of boxes of what they sorely need (RD, strong, physical, shut-down, perfect to pair with an offensive LD).

With us getting the first pick and being in that mix all year I wouldn't be surprised if some of our scouts were keen on some of the guys you mentioned because of how much thime they likely spent watching this team. I really like Beecher as an early second round guy too.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
I just read an article about Alex Vlasic. He's the cousin of Marc-Edouard, and he's a big body at 6'6. STI, what are your thoughts on him? Sounds to me like a guy who is a decent skater for his size, and isn't overtly physical. He's more of a project.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
I just read an article about Alex Vlasic. He's the cousin of Marc-Edouard, and he's a big body at 6'6. STI, what are your thoughts on him? Sounds to me like a guy who is a decent skater for his size, and isn't overtly physical. He's more of a project.
From all the games I saw from the u18s he seems like he has pretty good potential but is bit of a project. He probably could go anywhere from 16 to 45ish. He actually has suprisingly good hands and skill for a defenseman his size but I think he seemed to be lacking the hockey IQ that could make a top pairing defenseman. He does seem to have all the tools though...He just seemed to not execute his breakout passes as well as he should be and would rush the puck when he had more time than he thought but other than that was pretty solid defensively with Helleson. Kind of reminds me of Mueller with better hands and a little bit taller to be honest but has higher potential

Reactions: spitsfan24

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

To me, Vlasic is a defenseman with upside, but he was decidedly less effective than some other US defenseman in the tourney. York was the best defenseman in the entire U18, but he should be drafted by the early teens. The Devils have a shot at Warren and Vlasic, who will both be first/second round tweeners.

The US-NTDP defenseman who I would really want for the Devils, and I've stated this repeatedly, is Case McCarthy. He was excellent all through the tournament -- physical and impossible to beat one-on-one, plus showing better skating ability and puck skills than advertised. He's a RD, which the Devils sorely need, and a physical beast, which the Devils sorely need.

The Devils will also have a shot at LD Henry Thrun and RD Drew Helleson in the late second/early third. Both are very smart, very mobile two-way D with middle-pairing upside.

Ultimately, Vlasic is being held in higher esteem than many US-NTDP defensemen because of his rare size/skating combo. However, I just don't think his hockey playing ability is as good as the other members of the US-NTDP blueline. And in terms of physical presence, despite being four-to-five inches shorter, Case McCarthy is far stronger and a clearly superior deterrent for opposing forwards.

Do I think Vlasic has upside as a huge, mid-pairing, mobile, two-way defenseman? Sure, it's possible. But I think he's much further from that point than some of his teammates, most of whom can be drafted later on, making them more economical draft targets.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
there’s no way he falls to the 2nd round, unfortunately
Probably not but SOMEONE good is going to fall. There's too much good talent this draft plus there's always teams that go way off the board or reach. We may get 2 or even 3 guys we consider 1st rounders in the 2nd. Maybe Seider is one of them
Fingers crossed.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Probably not but SOMEONE good is going to fall. There's too much good talent this draft plus there's always teams that go way off the board or reach. We may get 2 or even 3 guys we consider 1st rounders in the 2nd. Maybe Seider is one of them
Fingers crossed.

In my opinion, Seider is more likely to go earlier than his ranking suggests as opposed to later. 6'4 smart D who skate extremely well, play physical and possess above-average puck skills are just rare, even more so when they are right-shots. While not entirely impossible that he falls to #34, Devils fans should not get their hopes up on this guy.

Reactions: Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In my opinion, Seider is more likely to go earlier than his ranking suggests as opposed to later. 6'4 smart D who skate extremely well, play physical and possess above-average puck skills are just rare, even more so when they are right-shots. While not entirely impossible that he falls to #34, Devils fans should not get their hopes up on this guy.

Look, you gotta keep this stuff quiet. NHL GMs are going to read this review and the secret will be out. Now go on the main hoard and post something suggesting he has a wide turning radius and that should throw them off the scent so he falls to NJ at 34.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was basically going to say that about Seider in my post but got lazy

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Look, you gotta keep this stuff quiet. NHL GMs are going to read this review and the secret will be out. Now go on the main hoard and post something suggesting he has a wide turning radius and that should throw them off the scent so he falls to NJ at 34.

Haha, I don't think NHL GMs and scouts put too much stock in the HF boards, unfortunately. For instance: there is zero controversy about the 2019 #1 overall pick being Jack Hughes, but if you took the HF boards as your only source, you'd think there is a 50/50 chance that it could be Kappo Kakko.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Haha, I don't think NHL GMs and scouts put too much stock in the HF boards, unfortunately. For instance: there is zero controversy about the 2019 #1 overall pick being Jack Hughes, but if you took the HF boards as your only source, you'd think there is a 50/50 chance that it could be Kappo Kakko.

That’s what they want you to believe. Based on the continued poor track record of some teams it’s hard to imagine they aren’t being run by mob rule.

Ryan Graham

May 1, 2019
I would trade up to grab Seider if the opportunity presents itself. There are so many possibilities at the draft this year. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: R8NJD and My3Sons

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I would trade up to grab Seider if the opportunity presents itself. There are so many possibilities at the draft this year. I can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

Unless you’re certain you’re getting absolute superstar, I really don’t want any trade ups at the draft. Draft capital should be used for immediate roster help.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Think I found a pretty good sleeper.

USHL RHD, Ronnie Attard. Just turned 20 years old, so 2 years past his first draft eligible year.

Prior to this year posted some very pedestrian #'s, 2-3-5 in 48 games two years ago, 8-7-15 in 50 last year.

Then this year just exploded. 30-34-64 in 48 gp. Led his team in goals, and points. Led the team with a +46. Won the USHL player of the year, as well as defensemen of the year.

Listed at 6'4" 207 lb's. Transitioned from fwd to d-man at the age of 14, and he said that early on focused on being a stay at home d-man.

Couple quotes from his coach.

“Our number-one focus is development,” Storm coach Anthony Noreen said. “With Ron, a big part of his development this season has been trying some different things offensively, trying to use some of the things he has – his offensive instincts, his skating – to not just be effective on the power play, but 5-on-5 as well.”

“The one thing about Ronnie is that he probably has the best swagger of any kid I’ve coached at the junior level. It’s confidence, but it’s the right kind of confidence. It’s the kind that’s contagious to his teammates and it’s never to the demise of the team.”

Eliteprospects has him ranked 73rd. Central scouting has him 76th amongst NA skaters. Commited to Western Michigan.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I thought he had some puck moving ability, but he had some grenade handler in him as well, made one of the better passes of the tourney springing a team mate on a break away, but at times was just too quick to ring the puck around the boards. So some Jekyll and Hyde going on there. Team USA did use him more in defensive situations then offensive situations, so maybe he has the safe play mentality a little too engrained. Despite that his offensive #'s this year were decent.

He is a young for draft year kid with a June b-day, so still 17, plenty of room for growth there, both in terms of filling out and playing a more physical game, and in terms of him thinking the game better, more consistently making the right decisions with the puck.

If he were to fall into the 2nd round, and as noted above there are so many good looking prospects, including tall rangy d-men who can skate, that guys will fall, I'd be stoked to pick him early in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad