Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
D6vI3xGXkAM44Xt.jpg

Nah

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Some interesting thoughts by Castron. He, for instance, mentioned that they made the final decision to draft Nico on draft day, and the same thing probably happens this time too. Of course I think they already have a strong gut feeling who they are going to draft.

@vtdevils2k was faster than me.

I honestly don’t believe him. A lot of smoke indicated they locked in for Nico a week or two before the draft.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I honestly don’t believe him. A lot of smoke indicated they locked in for Nico a week or two before the draft.

The thing is, is anything a done deal until it’s done? So ya, they may have known Nico was their guy for weeks but they kept searching for any good reason to change right up until the day of the pick. That’s the day they finally stop double checking if their thought is correct.

I feel like that’s how it is with Hughes. If the Devils had to pick 2 weeks ago they would pick Hughes but that doesn’t mean it can’t change. I do think it would take something large to have them change their initial thought. Article I just read suggested that people who are experts on 1 subject tend not to change their mind on things, even in the face of conflicting information.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Some interesting thoughts by Castron. He, for instance, mentioned that they made the final decision to draft Nico on draft day, and the same thing probably happens this time too. Of course I think they already have a strong gut feeling who they are going to draft.

@vtdevils2k was faster than me.

In response to who the Devils will draft; Hughes or Kakko.

Castron: “We are trying to get the second pick. We will get both of them”

He was just joking though.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Good info. I'm still fairly fresh to the NHL draft circuit, so working my way around lol. I've seen some mocks give us Hoglander in the second. Wouldn't hate that at all.

Any love on goaltenders in this draft? I don't exactly love our organizational depth there.

If you follow me a bit more, I constantly make fun of myself for my poor ability to project goaltenders. But I confer a great deal with hockey writers who are better at it than myself, and there is a universal consensus that Spencer Knight is the best goalie prospect since Carey Price.

Other goaltenders who have been mentioned to me as potential NHL starters are Pyotr Kochetkov, Mads Sogaard, Isaiah Saville, Hunter Jones, Hugo Alnefelt and Trent Miner.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
If you follow me a bit more, I constantly make fun of myself for my poor ability to project goaltenders. But I confer a great deal with hockey writers who are better at it than myself, and there is a universal consensus that Spencer Knight is the best goalie prospect since Carey Price.

Other goaltenders who have been mentioned to me as potential NHL starters are Pyotr Kochetkov, Mads Sogaard, Isaiah Saville, Hunter Jones, Hugo Alnefelt and Trent Miner.

Steve do you still have Hughes as a lock to go 1st?

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Just want to let you guys know I had a dream the other night that the Devils traded down with the Rags for #2 and #20 and I was like 'OK, Ray must know something we don't' and I woke up screaming inside when he went to the podium and didn't draft Hughes or Kakko.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

I remember when people said similar things about Zach Fucale. IMO, a goalie isn’t worth the gamble till the last handful of picks of the first round, then again I’m no expert.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just want to let you guys know I had a dream the other night that the Devils traded down with the Rags for #2 and #20 and I was like 'OK, Ray must know something we don't' and I woke up screaming inside when he went to the podium and didn't draft Hughes or Kakko.

You shouldn’t eat so much fiber before going to sleep.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

Pronman put out his current draft rankings. Not sure how much I can share.

Hughes is #1 and listed special/elite. So borderline the highest and second highest tier a player can be in. Lists his skating at 70/80.

Kakko is #2 and listed as special/elite bubble. I take that as borderline the 2 categories but leaning towards the second level. Lists his puck skills and hockey sense at 65/80.

Very complimentary of both, which is not surprising.

Overall, says the draft class is above average.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

Pronman put out his current draft rankings. Not sure how much I can share.

Hughes is #1 and listed special/elite. So borderline the highest and second highest tier a player can be in. Lists his skating at 70/80.

Kakko is #2 and listed as special/elite bubble. I take that as borderline the 2 categories but leaning towards the second level. Lists his puck skills and hockey sense at 65/80.

Very complimentary of both, which is not surprising.

Overall, says the draft class is above average.

For Hughes' skating, only one other player in the article also has a 70 (Broberg at #9) while Pronman lists only 3 players on the list at 65.

Pronman also lists Hughes as a 65 for puck skills and 65 for hockey sense. Only one player in each category is rated higher.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
For Hughes' skating, only one other player in the article also has a 70 (Broberg at #9) while Pronman lists only 3 players on the list at 65.

A quick glance through the top of the list, the only thing I saw rated higher was Caufield got a full 80/80 for his shot. That was only a quick glance though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Man do I dislike the 20-80 scale. If you're only going to rate 1% of players an 80 in anything, what's the use of compressing the scale? I recognize that by the middle of the 1st round, qualitative evaluation isn't going to do a whole lot, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad