Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I'm watching Canada vs. Belarus, and it's extremely difficult not to be mesmerized by Jamieson Rees. He's relentless on the penalty kill and you could go so far as to call him a dynamic passer and skater. Peyton Krebs is the only player on the ice matching his skating/smarts/compete level, and Krebs is certain to be a top 10 pick. The highest I've seen Rees ranked is 32 overall, and that ranking was my own. I'm not going to take any credit though, because the more I watch him, the more I feel like an idiot for not ranking him even higher.

This kid is certainly a 1st round worthy pick. Some team is going to get a Braydon Point-type steal in the mid-to-late second round.

Been saying for months that Krebs is a top 5 player in the draft and this tournament has only reinforced my opinion. He’s such a smart and complete player, it’s just unfortunate his WHL team were such a disaster outside of him.

He’s easily above Cozens & Dach in my mind and probably Turcotte and Podkolzin too. Whoever takes him will be extremely happy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah, Couturier is a perfect example of that. Was a 25-35 point player his first 6 years in the league and has put up 76 in the past 2 years.

but thats an exception, not the norm

chances are Patrick will be a middle 6 player for his career based on how his numbers look so far. Its the same kind of thing as Zacha IMO.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
but thats an exception, not the norm

chances are Patrick will be a middle 6 player for his career based on how his numbers look so far. Its the same kind of thing as Zacha IMO.
I think bigger players often take longer to develop. It's not just Courtier. Todd Bertuzzi broke out at around 24. Niederreiter took a few seasons too, and the Isles made the mistake of trading him away instead of being patient.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I know Kakko is unlikely pick for the Devils but that guy is also a pretty great prospect.

Steve Kournianos:

"A powerful Finnish winger with a natural goal scorer's touch, Kakko's consistent dominance has made him a legitimate threat to overtake American center Jack Hughes for first overall at this year's NHL Entry Draft.

Kakko deserves to be the top pick - an idea that has steadily become perceptible since the midway point of this draft season. But why has the narrative changed? What has Kakko done to challenge for the top spot that Hughes has been earmarked for?"

NHL Draft 2019: Can Kaapo Kakko take the No. 1 spot from Jack Hughes? | Sporting News

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
I can obviously only speak for myself, but it’s great to have some belief in the team’s scouting. After years of Conte, I can now trust in the process again.

I’m incredibly excited by the thought of Jack Hughes, but if for some reason we pick Kakko (I know, almost certainly not happening) then it means that Castron and co think that he’s an even better prospect. It’s difficult not to be excited by that thought.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
I can obviously only speak for myself, but it’s great to have some belief in the team’s scouting. After years of Conte, I can now trust in the process again.

I’m incredibly excited by the thought of Jack Hughes, but if for some reason we pick Kakko (I know, almost certainly not happening) then it means that Castron and co think that he’s an even better prospect. It’s difficult not to be excited by that thought.
My thoughts exactly.

Just to clarify:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Fortunately, the Devils scouting staff has a very easy pick with Jack Hughes first overall. Their true test will be getting some cornerstone players with their 6 picks between #34 and #96.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Henry Thrun is someone i would like to target with one of those second rounders if they are not moved. I really like his game.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
My thoughts exactly.

Just to clarify:

uhhh maybe because he titled the article “why kaapo kakko should take the no. 1 spot from jack hughes”. so he gives it an obviously contrarian, clickbait headline and then feigns shock at the reaction and hits us with a pretentious “yeesh” before walking it all back. what a douche

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
uhhh maybe because he titled the article “why kaapo kakko should take the no. 1 spot from jack hughes”. so he gives it an obviously contrarian, clickbait headline and then feigns shock at the reaction and hits us with a pretentious “yeesh” before walking it all back. what a *****e
He explained in the mainboard thread that he didn't pick the title, and asked Sporting News to change it. It's now "Can Kaapo Kakko take the No. 1 spot from Jack Hughes?"

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
uhhh maybe because he titled the article “why kaapo kakko should take the no. 1 spot from jack hughes”. so he gives it an obviously contrarian, clickbait headline and then feigns shock at the reaction and hits us with a pretentious “yeesh” before walking it all back. what a *****e
Those headlines are from editors, not from writers. But yeah, I know what you mean.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Steve Kournianos is an outstanding draft writer and prospect evaluator, and I promise you that he was more upset than any of us when he saw the headline the Sporting News board stuck on his perfectly legitimate article.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Henry Thrun is someone i would like to target with one of those second rounders if they are not moved. I really like his game.

I've said this several times before, but I would actually be surprised if Jack Hughes was the only player from this year's US-NTDP selected by the Devils in the 2019 draft.

Though many Devils' fans pipe-dream of somehow acquiring Cole Caufield or Matthew Boldy is about as likely as coming home to find bigfoot on your front porch eating Fruity Pebbles, the Devils have 6 more picks between #34 & #96 and this US-NTDP is just loaded with NHL prospects.

Though there are some US-NTDP forwards who could interest the Devils in the later rounds, most notably John Beecher (if he falls to #34) and Judd Caulfield (could fall into the third round), most of the development team's major forwards will be gone by the first 15 picks (Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy). If RW Patrick Moynihan or LW Michael Gildon were to fall into the late rounds, they would have to be considered possibilities for the Devils, as well.

Still, the most likely scenario is that the Devils draft a US-NTDP defenseman, as D remains the largest organizational need and most of the US blueliners (all but Cam York) have a chance to last past the first round.

My personal preference (which I don't shut up about) is Case McCarthy -- a incredibly strong and physical, shutdown RD who also skates quite well and makes smart decisions with the puck. Henry Thrun is certainly also a possibility, as is Drew Helleson. Both Thrun and Helleson fly a bit under the radar on their talented squad, but both have very high floors as productive and mobile bottom-4 defensemen.

Marshall Warren and Alex Vlasic are two US-NTDP defensemen who have higher draft stock than Thrun/Helleson/McCarthy for myriad reasons -- it would likely take the #34 pick to land one of those two. As Warren is an undersized LD (though he is excellent), I'm not sure I would use that pick on him, considering the Devils already have Will Butcher, Jeremy Davies and Ty Smith fitting that description. Vlasic offers the size that the Devils blueline needs, but his game needs more work in my opinion than some of the other US-NTDP blueliners.

Of course we should mention Bobby Brink. Though not a "member" of the US-NTDP team, he joined them for the U18 in Sweden and is a RW with extreme offensive upside. He's a strong bet to go in the late first round, but if he slipped through to #34 I'm certain the Devils scouting team would be over the moon with the opportunity to draft him with an eye on pairing him with Hughes in the future. If both Brink and Beecher were available at #34? Man, that would be some conundrum.

Ultimately, my big later-round US-NTDP target remains Case McCarthy. He should remain available with the Devils later 2nd round picks (currently #55 & #60), and he checks every box of what the Devils scouts look for (skates well, high character, high hockey IQ) while checking off a bunch of boxes of what they sorely need (RD, strong, physical, shut-down, perfect to pair with an offensive LD).

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He apparently posts on HF

To no surprise hes just like any generic poster, when he disagrees with you he straight up says' nope, youre wrong'. no joke.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

If we took Kakko over Hughes youd see a lot of season ticket holders not return, and for very good reason

There is no reason Kakko goes over Hughes minus a major injury. Seriously, itd be Shero's head on a platter if that happens

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I've said this several times before, but I would actually be surprised if Jack Hughes was the only player from this year's US-NTDP selected by the Devils in the 2019 draft.

I know he's WAY down the list given at least 5 off this squad will go 1st Round, but I want Helleson.

I dont believe he has a single flippin' point on this high-scoring USA team, which I imagine will damage his draft stock, but all this kid does is calmly shut-down opposing forwards and move the puck up ice to his teammates. Hopefully a late 3rd or 4th round pick.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Though many Devils' fans pipe-dream of somehow acquiring Cole Caufield or Matthew Boldy is about as likely as coming home to find bigfoot on your front porch eating Fruity Pebbles, the Devils have 6 more picks between #34 & #96 and this US-NTDP is just loaded with NHL prospects.

Though there are some US-NTDP forwards who could interest the Devils in the later rounds, most notably John Beecher (if he falls to #34) and Judd Caulfield (could fall into the third round), most of the development team's major forwards will be gone by the first 15 picks (Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy). If RW Patrick Moynihan or LW Michael Gildon were to fall into the late rounds, they would have to be considered possibilities for the Devils, as well.

Still, the most likely scenario is that the Devils draft a US-NTDP defenseman, as D remains the largest organizational need and most of the US blueliners (all but Cam York) have a chance to last past the first round.

My personal preference (which I don't shut up about) is Case McCarthy -- a incredibly strong and physical, shutdown RD who also skates quite well and makes smart decisions with the puck. Henry Thrun is certainly also a possibility, as is Drew Helleson. Both Thrun and Helleson fly a bit under the radar on their talented squad, but both have very high floors as productive and mobile bottom-4 defensemen.

Marshall Warren and Alex Vlasic are two US-NTDP defensemen who have higher draft stock than Thrun/Helleson/McCarthy for myriad reasons -- it would likely take the #34 pick to land one of those two. As Warren is an undersized LD (though he is excellent), I'm not sure I would use that pick on him, considering the Devils already have Will Butcher, Jeremy Davies and Ty Smith fitting that description. Vlasic offers the size that the Devils blueline needs, but his game needs more work in my opinion than some of the other US-NTDP blueliners.

Of course we should mention Bobby Brink. Though not a "member" of the US-NTDP team, he joined them for the U18 in Sweden and is a RW with extreme offensive upside. He's a strong bet to go in the late first round, but if he slipped through to #34 I'm certain the Devils scouting team would be over the moon with the opportunity to draft him with an eye on pairing him with Hughes in the future. If both Brink and Beecher were available at #34? Man, that would be some conundrum.

Ultimately, my big later-round US-NTDP target remains Case McCarthy. He should remain available with the Devils later 2nd round picks (currently #55 & #60), and he checks every box of what the Devils scouts look for (skates well, high character, high hockey IQ) while checking off a bunch of boxes of what they sorely need (RD, strong, physical, shut-down, perfect to pair with an offensive LD).

Crypto zoologists suggest Bigfoot is more of a Cap’n Crunch with Crunchberries guy.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
If we took Kakko over Hughes youd see a lot of season ticket holders not return, and for very good reason

There is no reason Kakko goes over Hughes minus a major injury. Seriously, itd be Shero's head on a platter if that happens
This is just ridiculous. Hughes is a great player but, like every other prospects, he has still some questions in his game. I think he is the most likely candidate to be the best player in this draft, but it's not 100 percent certain. If you look last 10-15 drafts you can see that almost every other year the best player isn't the first pick. With McDavid it was a sure thing, but this year isn't similar.

I would love if the Devils selected Hughes. But if Shero and Castron decides in a different way I support them because I trust their decision making.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
This is just ridiculous. Hughes is a great player but, like every other prospects, he has still some questions in his game. I think he is the most likely candidate to be the best player in this draft, but it's not 100 percent certain. If you look last 10-15 drafts you can see that almost every other year the best player isn't the first pick. With McDavid it was a sure thing, but this year isn't similar.

I would love if the Devils selected Hughes. But if Shero and Castron decides in a different way I support them because I trust their decision making.
100% or not its a high-majority consensus - no GM is putting their job on the line for the difference in the talents. It wont be that big. But it will likely be in Hughes favor and most scouts see that.

Fans know it too. They would be very upset and rightfully so

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Fact is the risk is way too high to draft anybody else. Unless Hughes is a total failure, nobody will question Shero and his staff for taking him. But if they pass on him and he is successful as a Ranger, they will hear about it forever.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
100% or not its a high-majority consensus - no GM is putting their job on the line for the difference in the talents. It wont be that big. But it will likely be in Hughes favor and most scouts see that.

Fans know it too. They would be very upset and rightfully so

You are being overly dramatic. No one is cancelling season tickets if we take Kakko.

Putting unrealistic expectations on Hughes as well.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I know he's WAY down the list given at least 5 off this squad will go 1st Round, but I want Helleson.

I dont believe he has a single flippin' point on this high-scoring USA team, which I imagine will damage his draft stock, but all this kid does is calmly shut-down opposing forwards and move the puck up ice to his teammates. Hopefully a late 3rd or 4th round pick.

Helleson in the third or fourth would be an outstanding pick for the Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->