Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm watching Canada vs. Belarus, and it's extremely difficult not to be mesmerized by Jamieson Rees. He's relentless on the penalty kill and you could go so far as to call him a dynamic passer and skater. Peyton Krebs is the only player on the ice matching his skating/smarts/compete level, and Krebs is certain to be a top 10 pick. The highest I've seen Rees ranked is 32 overall, and that ranking was my own. I'm not going to take any credit though, because the more I watch him, the more I feel like an idiot for not ranking him even higher.

This kid is certainly a 1st round worthy pick. Some team is going to get a Braydon Point-type steal in the mid-to-late second round.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
That spinning Knight pass off the back of the goal to his defenseman, I dont think I've ever seen that before.

it's been really refreshing watching a goalie just do whatever he wants with the puck. Miss that :(

goalie skill aside, it looks like watching marty again.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
With the rumors of the Florida Panthers going hard after Bobrovsky and Panarin in the offseason, if I were Ray Shero I would look snag their 13th overall pick by taking Luongo or Reimer along with it.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
With the rumors of the Florida Panthers going hard after Bobrovsky and Panarin in the offseason, if I were Ray Shero I would look snag their 13th overall pick by taking Luongo or Reimer along with it.

The only way that'd happen is if they have a deal in place already, and even then...

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I cannot see the Panthers giving up that much -- they are not exactly up against the cap ceiling, and Reimer and Luongo do not exactly have crippling cap hits or term. You might be able to get a second round pick from Florida in 2020 for taking Luongo IF they sign Bobrovsky after July 1, but I don't see Florida making such a trade unless Bobrovsky is already in the fold, so the 2019 picks will not be in play.

Reactions: Bet the Over

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Should be noted that I'm very high on Belarussian d-man Vladislav Kolyachonok. It seems like this U18 tournament is a bit of a coming out party for folks who haven't seen him that much. After all, he played for Flint in the OHL this season. He's been absolutely phenomenal during this tournament. His game thrives off speed and transition play. Back in February, he was in my top-62 and here's what I said about him:

Truth be told, it’s always a bit difficult to evaluate and get a read on players playing for rough teams, but there’s a lot to like about Vladislav Kolyachonok. First off, don’t read into the fact that the London Knights waived him because there’s more to his situation and skills than that. Long story short, London wanted to make sure they were going to have a smart and dynamic-skating defenseman on their team even if Adam Boqvist made the Chicago Blackhawks roster. Boqvist was sent back down to the OHL and when you consider both the limitation on import draft players (Kolyachonok is from Belarus) and the fact that OHL teams can’t trade first-year import players, waiving Kolyachonok was the only option. That’s how he got onto Flint’s roster. Wow that was a tangent. Anyways, Kolyachonok has a non-stop motor which is especially helpful when combined with his incredibly smooth skating. Kolyachonok thinks the game at a high speed, sees the ice well and makes very good decisions. Although he’s a big guy, Kolyachonok is surprisingly deceptive with his puck movement.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Should be noted that I'm very high on Belarussian d-man Vladislav Kolyachonok. It seems like this U18 tournament is a bit of a coming out party for folks who haven't seen him that much. After all, he played for Flint in the OHL this season. He's been absolutely phenomenal during this tournament. His game thrives off speed and transition play. Back in February, he was in my top-62 and here's what I said about him:

Kolyachonok's upside certainly makes him a wild card on draft day. I've seen him ranked as a first rounder to a third rounder. Like you, I'm a fan of his game and his style certainly fits into the Shero/Castron blueprint.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
I see he’s second in shots in this u18s tournament with 25 through 4 games. Only Caufield ahead of him (with 26).

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Pavel Dorofeyev had 31 points in 19 games in the MHL this year, Podolzkin had 8 points in 12 games. I know Podolzkin is rated high because of factors outside of offensive output (like two way play, size, etc.) but I thought that was interesting. Although Dorofeyev is an October 2000 birthday whereas Podolzkin is a June 2001 birthday so that's a pretty big difference but I wouldn't mind taking a chance at Dorofeyev in the 2nd.

Reactions: My3Sons

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Here's another potential sleeper pick: John Ludvig - LD, Portland Winterhawks, WHL

He's very strong and has some good four-way mobility. His compete levels is off the chart, and it leads him to want to try to crush people every shift. He's not much of a puck-mover, but he's got accurate passing. He's got a strong slapshot but that's because he mostly relies on it due to the limitations in his offensive toolbox. Definitely worth a flyer in the mid-to late rounds.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I found this old gem of a tweet. Pick the opposite of what JQ thinks this year and we should be good :D

Edit: Also checked, there was no love affair of either Nico or Patrick in 2017 when we were drafting first. A couple tweets comparing them and one showing a pic of them interviewing Patrick.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Quenneville and Patrick won a WHL championship together in 2016, so I wouldn't have expected him to say anybody other than Patrick. Interesting hypothetical for me was how high Patrick might have gone in the 2016 had he been a few days older. He was from Winnipeg and fresh off the WHL championship, I wonder if the Jets might've felt compelled to take him over Laine.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah our organization and social media was definitely more 'neutral' in 2017 playing up the decision from both angles.

Reactions: Colin226

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i still think patrick could end up a very good 1C. i’ve seen people write him off, which isn’t wise IMO

Reactions: Nubmer6
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad