Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lotto positioning is almost set now. Continue talking about the draft prospects here, but the thread will be closed on Tuesday when the actual drawing's held and seperate posts there for the lottery itself, then we'll be able to argue each other to death over who we might draft.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
the issue with podkolzin isn't if he's coming over (although there is always the concern for that), it's more when he's coming over. The devils cannot afford to take a player that might not come for another 4 yrs when there are other players that are similar or better than him.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
the issue with podkolzin isn't if he's coming over (although there is always the concern for that), it's more when he's coming over. The devils cannot afford to take a player that might not come for another 4 yrs when there are other players that are similar or better than him.

How much hockey has he even played this year? I get he has been a stud in tournaments, but the production at the club level isn’t there.

This just feels so risky for a top 3 pick to assume it will all translate over a full slate of games on smaller ice.

Add on the three-four year wait just to get him in NA, and I have a hard time justifying him at third overall.

Reactions: Bet the Over

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
How much hockey has he even played this year? I get he has been a stud in tournaments, but the production at the club level isn’t there.

This just feels so risky for a top 3 pick to assume it will all translate over a full slate of games on smaller ice.

Add on the three-four year wait just to get him in NA, and I have a hard time justifying him at third overall.

I agree, I'm not really that high on Podkolzin like all the other writers are.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I admittedly haven't seen a ton of him, but Podkolzin hasn't blown me away at all. The fact that he has only played 29 league games this year with underwhelming production isn't encouraging either.

Kakko just had a better U18 season than Laine did and just below Barkov.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Hello there

Win lotto, draft Hughes

tenor.gif

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I swear if the oilers win the lottery, changes need to be made to the way it works. Brian Burke has good ideas regarding changes that should be made

Reactions: mdj12784

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I swear if the oilers win the lottery, changes need to be made to the way it works. Brian Burke has good ideas regarding changes that should be made
Changing the draft lottery in no way solves that problem.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I get where Burke's coming from, but there's no perfect way to go about it. One of his proposals would be that if you have a top 3 selection, you'd be locked out of a top 3 pick for three years. The faulty premise is that every year is going to produce guys who are stars immediately and will turn things around in short order. Burke's idea would have locked us out of a top 3 pick this year since we won the 2017 lottery.

His other beef is that a team can jump up a ton of spots like Philly and Dallas did in 2017. But it's not like they turned into instant dynasties or Colorado/Vancouver/Vegas didn't land solid prospects despite being bumped back three spots.

Burke was VP for the NHL back when the original rules were written in 1995. They put a limit on how far a team could move up because of how the Orlando Magic looked in that moment (Orlando had improbably won the 1993 NBA Draft lottery). So it was arguably a bit of an overreaction.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
whats everyones top 6s, Since were officially locked into no later than that

Hughes
Kaakko
Turcotte
Byram
Dach
Zegras
Is how ive seen it so far. Bit upset Turcotte seems to be the best forward because hes too similar to Hischier for my liking. I prefer diversity in my elite talents but ill live.

Curious if Shero takes Byram over Turcotte at 3

edit: had Cozens

Last edited by a moderator:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
whats everyones top 6s, Since were officially locked into no later than that

Hughes
Kaakko
Turcotte
Byram
Cozens
Dach

Is how ive seen it so far. Bit upset Turcotte seems to be the best forward because hes too similar to Hischier for my liking. I prefer diversity in my elite talents but ill live.

Curious if Shero takes Byram over Turcotte at 3
if we pick no lower than 5th i'll be happy

personally i want turcotte, byram, cozens in that order. just personally like turcotte's creativitiy over cozens, and byram's a pretty awesome Dman. of course thats if we don't get the 1 or 2 slot

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Hopefully NJ reads the tea leaves correctly and picks the BPA wherever they pick.
Turcotte seems to have the best IQ and fluidity in his play - those two things IMO are crucial for production-translation to the NHL
Cozens is a nice shot with size, I dont think hes too special

Byram is obviously the best defender and hes wearing on me - I like his style of play to be honest, top pair potential for sure but IDK about #1D. If he can do that then he needs to be taken 3. Turcotte seems like an easy 1C with a chance to be elite, almost a clone of Hischier.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Don't know about #1 D on Byram?! I mean that's exactly what he is and what you're drafting him to be at #3 overall.

He's above Makar, Heiskanen etc comapared in their draft seasons.

When I think of Byram I see a lot of Roman Josi in him. And Josi is one of the best defensemen in the league.

If we don't get #1 or #2, we should draft Byram wherever we end up if he's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad