Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Entry Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I've said this before, but I think the real benefit is in the 2nd round where there's usually at least 3 or 4 players with 1st round talent still hanging around. Picking early there almost guarantees you get another player you had on your list for the 1st round.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Ran the tankathon 10 times we drafted in the top 3 once... it's a real possibility we get screwed

Now that's unlucky. I've run it a bunch of times and while I don't get 1OA often I get 2 or 3 like 70% of the time. What's funny though is it seems my most commons outcome is Colorado at 1OA and then 3 or 4OA with Ottawa's pick. That would be insane as they already have such a great young core. Ottawa was so stupid to give them that pick.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The worst possible outcome

kQHp2Dv.png

I've also got Colorado at 1+2 couple times....man that enrages me. Stupid Ottawa.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've said this before, but I think the real benefit is in the 2nd round where there's usually at least 3 or 4 players with 1st round talent still hanging around. Picking early there almost guarantees you get another player you had on your list for the 1st round.

I don’t think that is nearly a big enough consolation prize. It definitely won’t have any effect on the team for years.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
The worst possible outcome

kQHp2Dv.png

I've also got Colorado at 1+2 couple times....man that enrages me. Stupid Ottawa.

I would be so pissed if the Rags got a top 3 pick. I could care less about EDM and don't really mind Philly moving up, but the Rags would really piss me off. I think the worst top 3 I could imagine would be NYR, FLA, ARI. I hate it when these irrelevant bottom feeder garbage-can franchises get top talent only for it to waste away. Obviously COL getting a top 3 pick on top of Ottawa's would also be brutal.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ran the tankathon 10 times we drafted in the top 3 once... it's a real possibility we get screwed

Were I a member of your family, I would say, 'Don't do this to yourself.'

Heck, I don't even know what you look like and I'm going to say it, anyway.

Don't do this to yourself.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I hate to be the cheery guy in a room full of people banging their heads into walls, but folks -- if the Devils pick 5th overall, they will have a very strong shot at Bowen Byram. Even if Byram is off the board, it is a guarantee that one of Turcotte/Cozens/Zegras will be there.

We're talking a D with Norris-type upside and three Cs with PPG, all-star potential. The Devils are going to get a terrific player for their core moving forwards.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would be so pissed if the Rags got a top 3 pick. I could care less about EDM and don't really mind Philly moving up, but the Rags would really piss me off. I think the worst top 3 I could imagine would be NYR, FLA, ARI. I hate it when these irrelevant bottom feeder garbage-can franchises get top talent only for it to waste away. Obviously COL getting a top 3 pick on top of Ottawa's would also be brutal.

Colorado is in a race to the bottom right now. Their own pick legitimately could be a top 3 one.

A lot of bad teams this year.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I hate to be the cheery guy in a room full of people banging their heads into walls, but folks -- if the Devils pick 5th overall, they will have a very strong shot at Bowen Byram. Even if Byram is off the board, it is a guarantee that one of Turcotte/Cozens/Zegras will be there.

We're talking a D with Norris-type upside and three Cs with PPG, all-star potential. The Devils are going to get a terrific player for their core moving forwards.

agreed. the opinion of ‘anything less than a top 3 pick is a travesty’ is pretty unreal. when the season ends, we’ll very likely find ourselves in a great situation, both in the amount and quality of our picks

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
agreed. the opinion of ‘anything less than a top 3 pick is a travesty’ is pretty unreal. when the season ends, we’ll very likely find ourselves in a great situation, both in the amount and quality of our picks
I personally prefer 4 or 5OA and taking Byram there. I won't be upset with Cozens or Podkolzin either. As it's been said there will be a good player available at 4-5-6OA either way. I just think it would hurt most to know we pick 3 and just miss on Hughes/Kakko.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
My Ideal draft is 1OA - Hughes and then trading up into the late first and hoping Harley falls to 20-22 similar to Miller last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because at some point, losing literally every game takes a toll on the players and creates a toxic culture.

I’m not saying I want the Devils to go on a winning streak either, but there needs to be a balance somehow between tanking but also not having every player want off the team.

Plus you need to have SOME of the younger players actually contribute or a draft pick isn't gonna do any good if the other younger players on your team are junk. Guys like Nico, Bratt, Butcher, Zacha, Blackwood if he's here, etc need to develop as part of the future too.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Just feels like a situation where we pick 5th and take a forward we hope turns into a good 2nd line player three years from now.

Not the best consolation prize after this shitshow.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
My Ideal draft is 1OA - Hughes and then trading up into the late first and hoping Harley falls to 20-22 similar to Miller last year.

I don't know, if we're going to hope for the trade up and get a guy who falls I feel like it's got to be Kaliyev. Can't remember who suggested that the other day, but he would be a perfect fit for our team. We have plenty of playmakers, but need a sniper like him. Either way I think it's extremely unlikely we somehow manage to trade up to a pick around 20OA.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I don't know, if we're going to hope for the trade up and get a guy who falls I feel like it's got to be Kaliyev. Can't remember who suggested that the other day, but he would be a perfect fit for our team. We have plenty of playmakers, but need a sniper like him. Either way I think it's extremely unlikely we somehow manage to trade up to a pick around 20OA.
It's not incredibly likely, it will take our second, plus another second and a third or 4th potentially. The D prospect pool is still so bad I doubt we would trade up for kaliyev over a D prospect but I wouldnt hate that either. Last draft Rangers used our second from last year plus the 26th OA to move up 4 spots and the Blues traded the 29 pick and a mid third to move up 4 spots. so maybe if we love somone who falls to 22-25 we can trade our second plus our third to get to that or the nash 2nd.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Just feels like a situation where we pick 5th and take a forward we hope turns into a good 2nd line player three years from now.

Not the best consolation prize after this ****show.

If we pick 5th we likely get one of Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, podkolzin, zegras etc. Those players are better than the scenario you are laying out.

Welp a good 2nd line player 3 years from now? That sounds like a pretty good player. Especially if it's a center.

So it sounds accurate, but really not that bad.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad