Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
ISS Hockey Releases ISS Top 31 for February, Rankings of the Top Prospects for the 2019 NHL Draft - ISS Hockey

Byram up to 4 ahead of Cozens and Dach, Turcotte back at ten.

I think people putting Turcotte ahead of Dach and Cozens are a little premature at this point

ISS is crap... used to be good before it was sold a few times.

But to your point, Bob did not have him top 10 either. So I guess it depends on how you feel against going against the consensus. With him I am comfortable doing that, I feel like he gets dinged too much for being hurt.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
In international tournaments, yeah. But in the MHL it’s nothing compared to what guys like Kucherov did.

True, but he has only played in 12 MHL games while being bounced around leagues and tournaments this year. Kucherov played his D-1 and D season in the MHL. These 12 games are the only ones Podkolzin has played in the MHL as opposed to Kucherov who played 53 MHL games in his D-1 season, 41 in his D season, (also had 23 in his D+1 season). I've never watched an MHL game, but just in terms of sample size I wouldn't put to much stock into 12 games. Its not like 12 games where he had 6 goals 2 assists and a +9 is bad, its just not lighting the world on fire. Veleno had a stretch this year where he only had 6 points in 9 games.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
True, but he has only played in 12 MHL games while being bounced around leagues and tournaments this year. Kucherov played his D-1 and D season in the MHL. These 12 games are the only ones Podkolzin has played in the MHL as opposed to Kucherov who played 53 MHL games in his D-1 season, 41 in his D season, (also had 23 in his D+1 season). I've never watched an MHL game, but just in terms of sample size I wouldn't put to much stock into 12 games. Its not like 12 games where he had 6 goals 2 assists and a +9 is bad, its just not lighting the world on fire. Veleno had a stretch this year where he only had 6 points in 9 games.

Yeah I like him, but more in that 8-10 range. I don’t personally think he is worthy of being top 5 with the centers in this draft. So to me he is a bit overhyped with how he is ranked... but that’s just my 2 cents.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
ISS Hockey Releases ISS Top 31 for February, Rankings of the Top Prospects for the 2019 NHL Draft - ISS Hockey

Byram up to 4 ahead of Cozens and Dach, Turcotte back at ten.

I think people putting Turcotte ahead of Dach and Cozens are a little premature at this point

Turcotte plays a more complete game than either of them. He has a similar top end skating ability to Cozens but has a lot of offensive acumen similar to Dach. And has one of the best motors, if not the best, in the entire draft. He would be an absolute steal at 10. And as Tatar Shots also mentions, Krebs at 17 is ridiculous. At this point I think he is in front of Cozens, and might be ahead of Dach (for me) come draft day. Krebs' numbers are more impressive than either of the WHL centers because of how absolutely garbage the rest of his team is. Similar story for Turcotte, he isn't playing with Hughes or Zegras/Boldy consistently. Depending on how the rest of the season goes both of them are my dark horse for #3 overall.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Krebs at 17 is insane. I don’t see how this means having Turcotte on par with Dach and Cozens is premature

That isnt what made me say that is premature. That was more of a side note because a lot of people are posting their lists and having Turcotte ahead of those 2 centers who have been ahead of him all season and I wouldnt say hes done enough to jump those guys yet. I mean, I wouldnt be surprised if he jumps up more now that hes healthy but I think some people listing him at 3 or so ahead of Dach and Cozens is just early right now. A couple 6'4 centers who have been dominant all WHL season, dominant in international play and ranked ahead of Turcotte on basically all lists shouldnt be ranked behind him now. Not enough has changed

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
That isnt what made me say that is premature. That was more of a side note because a lot of people are posting their lists and having Turcotte ahead of those 2 centers who have been ahead of him all season and I wouldnt say hes done enough to jump those guys yet. I mean, I wouldnt be surprised if he jumps up more now that hes healthy but I think some people listing him at 3 or so ahead of Dach and Cozens is just early right now. A couple 6'4 centers who have been dominant all WHL season, dominant in international play and ranked ahead of Turcotte on basically all lists shouldnt be ranked behind him now. Not enough has changed

The draft was Hughes 1, Turcotte 2 going into the year. People dropped Turcotte when he got injured

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The draft was Hughes 1, Turcotte 2 going into the year. People dropped Turcotte when he got injured

TSN preseason list had him at 12, not two so not sure what list youre talking about. Cozens was actually number 2 on that list, Dach number 5. Turcotte was actually behind Krebs, Lavoie, Suzuki and Broberg amongst others all the way back at 12.

Not sure what hes done to jump all the way up over those other guys like some people have said in this thread. Hes been really good lately but is it enough to jump over all these players? Not at this point

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
TSN preseason list had him at 12, not two so not sure what list youre talking about. Cozens was actually number 2 on that list, Dach number 5. Turcotte was actually behind Krebs, Lavoie, Suzuki and Broberg amongst others all the way back at 12.

Not sure what hes done to jump all the way up over those other guys like some people have said in this thread. Hes been really good lately but is it enough to jump over all these players? Not at this point

TSN was Button who has always been much lower on Turcotte than everyone else.

Hockey prospects had Turcotte at 2 behind Hughes to start the year.
Future Considerations had Turcotte 2nd behind Hughes.
Thedraftanalyst had Turcotte 3rd behind Hughes and Newhook.
ISS had Turcotte 4th behind Hughes, Kakko, and Cozens.
Dobber prospects had Turcotte 4th behind Hughes, Kakko, and Byram.

Turcotte dropped in rankings when he got injured but now everyone is raising him back up again.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Him starting the year hurt and guys having a nice Hlinka skewed things more than it should have.

Turcotte was dynamite last year and has been dynamite since coming back. Cozens has been pointless in 6 of his last 8 games, and Dach had a really off December. It’s not like they’ve been utterly dominant all year.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
TSN was Button who has always been much lower on Turcotte than everyone else.

Hockey prospects had Turcotte at 2 behind Hughes to start the year.
Future Considerations had Turcotte 2nd behind Hughes.
Thedraftanalyst had Turcotte 3rd behind Hughes and Newhook.
ISS had Turcotte 4th behind Hughes, Kakko, and Cozens.
Dobber prospects had Turcotte 4th behind Hughes, Kakko, and Byram.

Turcotte dropped in rankings when he got injured but now everyone is raising him back up again.

Him starting the year hurt and guys having a nice Hlinka skewed things more than it should have.

Turcotte was dynamite last year and has been dynamite since coming back. Cozens has been pointless in 6 of his last 8 games, and Dach had a really off December. It’s not like they’ve been utterly dominant all year.

The list I was looking at wasnt Button, it was Mackenzies preseason poll of scouts that had him all the way at 12. 10 NHL scouts andthe list I trust the most I'm just not seeing it yet fellas. Hes talented, but hasnt done enough yet to be ahead of Dach and Cozens who have been doing it for a whole season.

It definitely wasnt a clear cut Turcotte at number 2 though going into the year. I wouldnt even be surprised if he ends up in the top 5

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Nothing that crazy
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Cozens
6. Dach
7. Zegras
8. Krebs
9. Podkolzin
10. Söderström

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Byram has 21 goals on the year now, 15 of which are at Even Strength. Bouchard had 25 goals last year, 14 of which were at Even Strength. Dobson had 17 goals last year, 4 at Even Strength.

I love Byram's game. He has pretty much everything you want in an NHL Dman. Only strike against him from me now is that his Slapshot needs work. Hopefully as he gets bigger he can add a bigger shot. In Detroit, the good thing for us is that Cholowski and Hronek are both very good PP goal scorers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No Zegras?

I wasn’t trying to be cute, the guys I listed have clear separation for me.

I’m having a hard time ordering Turcotte, Cozens, Krebs, Byram, and Dach. I have flipped them a bunch recently. But that group along with Kakko/Hughes is absolutely who I want to pick. After that I start to see a bunch more risk with the players available.

Suzuki and Zegras... I see lots of upside, but I also see some risk. I feel like I have to hedge my bet a bit with them, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

I’m having a hard time ordering Turcotte, Cozens, Krebs, Byram, and Dach. I have flipped them a bunch recently. But that group along with Kakko/Hughes is absolutely who I want to pick. After that I start to see a bunch more risk with the players available.

I'm in the same boat as you. I also have Podkolzin in that group in terms of pure ranking. Though I know everyone wants the Center/Dman

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Suzuki and Zegras... I see lots of upside, but I also see some risk. I feel like I have to hedge my bet a bit with them, if that makes sense.

I don't disagree on Zegras. Or Suzuki tbh.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Guys I like in round 2:

Nick Robertson - Small, but smart and skilled. Just missed the cutoff for the 2020 draft by a few days. Brother of Jason Robertson, who is 6’2”, so he should grow a bit still.

Kaedan Korczak - I think he will fall to 2nd round because of a lack of production, but if you are patient and let him develop I could see him becoming something kind of like Trouba.

Jamieson Rees - this tweet probably says it best:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Guys I like in round 2:

Nick Robertson - Small, but smart and skilled. Just missed the cutoff for the 2020 draft by a few days. Brother of Jason Robertson, who is 6’2”, so he should grow a bit still.

Kaedan Korczak - I think he will fall to 2nd round because of a lack of production, but if you are patient and let him develop I could see him becoming something kind of like Trouba.

Jamieson Rees - this tweet probably says it best:

Yep Rees is definitely a guy I would like the wings to grab with their early second or a late first if they add one. Hes not big but he can play a bit physical and doesnt get pushed around out there either to go with the hockey talent. He was really good in the top prospects game too.I could see him ecoming a big name prospect like Kyrou after an early second round pick. Kyrou also played in Sarnia

Reactions: Frk It
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad