Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Biggest difference for me between him and someone like Provorov is his skating. It’s not quite as high end as I’d like (nitpicking... but hey we are picking high now...)

I’d be fine taking him if it happens, I just find more appeal with the forwards. You’re not going to get a lot of drafts like this with this kind of center depth.
I'm having trouble seeing some of the centers having a better chance of reaching their ceilings than Byram. That's my hangup, they're both important positions and I don't think Dach or Krebs are likely to translate any better than Byram.

Right now I think Cozens is the 3rd place lottery prize, and I like Byram 4th. If we get him 6/7/8 I'll be so happy.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I’m not seeing much depth at the defenseman position this year, I think there will be better centers left in round 2 as opposed to defenseman. I wonder if that factors into what we do.

I would be behind doing something like this:

RD1: Bowen Byram (D)
RD2: Philip Tomasino (C)
RD2: Blake Murray (C)

I have a feeling a lot of the defenseman I like for round 2 will end up going in late round 1 due to the lack of depth I see out there.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’m not seeing much depth at the defenseman position this year, I think there will be better centers left in round 2 as opposed to defenseman. I wonder if that factors into what we do.

I would be behind doing something like this:

RD1: Bowen Byram (D)
RD2: Philip Tomasino (C)
RD2: Blake Murray (C)

I have a feeling a lot of the defenseman I like for round 2 will end up going in late round 1 due to the lack of depth I see out there.

We need to go BPA with top 10 picks. If that is Byram go right ahead and draft him, but you can't be influenced by what may be available later on. There are far to many variables over several years to not go BPA. Besides, its not like Tomasino or whoever would be available would be a superior prospect to Veleno.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We need to go BPA with top 10 picks. If that is Byram go right ahead and draft him, but you can't be influenced by what may be available later on. There are far to many variables over several years to not go BPA. Besides, its not like Tomasino or whoever would be available would be a superior prospect to Veleno.

Yeah true, said this last year, just thinking out loud about what might be a way to maximize value potentially.

Reactions: Tatar Shots
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I'm trying to parse out what it means when a player is very good with the national team, even across several different games with them, but considerably less impressive with their club team. I'd like to think it's reflective of a player who will be able to do more as they move to the next level and play with better players.

What do you guys think?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm trying to parse out what it means when a player is very good with the national team, even across several different games with them, but considerably less impressive with their club team. I'd like to think it's reflective of a player who will be able to do more as they move to the next level and play with better players.

What do you guys think?

I think a lot of it has to do with chemistry and systems in these short tournaments. Some players are great at capitalizing on broken plays, chaos and small errors. In these tournaments stuff like that is more common because no one is running systems and has the chemistry of a team that gets to practice together year-round.

In the same vein, some players rely heavily on using their teammates well, and the comfort of systems they're familiar with. Those players can struggle in these tournaments as they're trying to adapt to these new settings.

Finally sometimes players will be lucky and their international team runs a system they're familiar with and/or they're playing with teammates they already know well and that can be a big advantage too.

I've always sort of trusted international tournament results less for this reason. They're best on best, but most of the players aren't playing their best hockey. Two powerhouse CHL teams facing off in the Memorial Cup or a kid in the SHL competing against men are way better at showing what a prospect can bring than the WJC for example. Not that a good tournament isn't a good thing. You always want good players to perform and these games matter to them. It's just when I try to consider a prospect holistically, national tournament results are something I don't weigh heavily.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

What do you guys think?

I think it’s entirely dependent on the situation and the answer could vary tremendously based on who you are talking about.

Reactions: HisNoodliness
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think it’s entirely dependent on the situation and the answer could vary tremendously based on who you are talking about.
Cozens was consistently excellent at the Hlinka through several games, but he hasn't looked very good with Lethbridge at all when I've seen him play. Puck control issues, seems out of position often, etc. But with Team Canada those areas looked very good and not at all like problems. I really liked his decision-making, puck management, and play away from the puck.

So which one is Dylan Cozens at the pro level? One looks like a star, the other looks like a checking line player with an excellent shot and nothing else.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cozens was consistently excellent at the Hlinka through several games, but he hasn't looked very good with Lethbridge at all when I've seen him play. Puck control issues, seems out of position often, etc. But with Team Canada those areas looked very good and not at all like problems. I really liked his decision-making, puck management, and play away from the puck.

So which one is Dylan Cozens at the pro level? One looks like a star, the other looks like a checking line player with an excellent shot and nothing else.

Yeah, I have asked myself if I am pulling a Button and putting too much stock in the Hlinka with him. I can understand where you’re coming from a little bit. I think he’s maybe more raw than I originally thought, and a lot of these kids outside Hughes/Kakko are going to be inconsistent.

Dach, Cozens, Zegras... I think they all have their good and bad nights. Turcotte and Krebs are the guys who I think are most consistent if that’s what you are looking for.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I have asked myself if I am pulling a Button and putting too much stock in the Hlinka with him. I can understand where you’re coming from a little bit. I think he’s maybe more raw than I originally thought, and a lot of these kids outside Hughes/Kakko are going to be inconsistent.

Dach, Cozens, Zegras... I think they all have their good and bad nights. Turcotte and Krebs are the guys who I think are most consistent if that’s what you are looking for.

I've come down in the big right hand centers as well.

Zegras has temper issues, IMO.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Post your top 10 for the Wings 1st round pick.

I'm expecting Hughes and Kakko to be the top two.

Make it top 12 then?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
My top 12

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Cozens
Boldy
Lavoie
Turcotte
Kaliyev
Broberg
Podkolzin
York
I really like Kaliyev and York a lot so if somehow the team falls to the bottom top 10 I’d be perfectly fine with either

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan

Make it top 12 then?

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
2b. Cozens
3. Turcotte
4. Byram
5. Podkolzin
6. Dach
7. Broberg
8. Zegras
9. Newhook
10. York
11. Lavoie

My rankings are heavily tilted towards skill + positions of need (center and defense). If we end up with any of my top 5, I’ll be absolutely thrilled.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I’ll make it easy for you:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Dach
Byram
Krebs

Draft whoever is highest off this list... I don’t want anyone else.

I'm not sure on Turcotte being ahead of Cozens and Dach but this is pretty solid. I would have to think pretty hard about Byram though as well.

I would be really surprised if whoever the wings end up drafting isnt on the list you just made though

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I’ll make it easy for you:

Hughes
Kakko
Turcotte
Cozens
Dach
Byram
Krebs

Draft whoever is highest off this list... I don’t want anyone else.

That is probably where I would land as well. Cozens/Dach is a literal coin flip for me. I go back and forth between those two a ton. I would, however, feel confident taking Turcotte over them. I would be happy with any of those seven players.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Make it top 12 then?
1.Hughes
2.Kakko
3.Byram
4.Dach
5.Cozens
6. Turcotte
7. Podkolzin
8. Krebs
9. Newhook
10. Broberg
11. York
12. Disappointment

If we get any of the top 5, I'd be ecstatic.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I’ll be happy with any of these players from 3-8

Krebs, Cozens, Dach, Byram, Turcotte, Podkolzin. That is not in any order, I could see any of them going as high as 3.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
For me it goes roughly:

Hughes

Kakko

Turcotte
Dach
Krebs
Cozens
Byram
Podkolzin

Boldy
Zegras
Soderstrom
York

Newhook
Heinola
Seider
McMichael
Kaliyev
Suzuki
Pelletier

Broberg
Caufield
Knight
Tomasino

Is about as far as I've gotten this year. Goal will be to get a complete 2 rounds ranking, just for fun.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Frk It has got it. I just don't want Podkolzin. I know he's good and might be BPA at #3, but I just have a bad feeling about it.

I might be missing something, but I think Podkolzin is overhyped. He reminds me of Radulov... which is a good player to have and everything... but not what this team needs most.

My top 12

Hughes
Kakko
Dach
Byram
Cozens
Boldy
Lavoie
Turcotte
Kaliyev
Broberg
Podkolzin
York
I really like Kaliyev and York a lot so if somehow the team falls to the bottom top 10 I’d be perfectly fine with either

Kaliyev gives me Mantha vibes for sure. Big scorer who is an underrated skater and lacks compete.

Seems like a good guy to take a gamble on in the teens but not sure I’d stomach it in the top 10.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hughes
Kakko
Cozens
Byram
Turcotte
Dach
Krebs
Broberg
Soderstrom
Podkolzin

If they somehow find a way to get TWO names from that list - and they're not both wingers - I'll take back half the bad things I ever said about Ken Holland. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad