Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
taking those words into account, and if we re-sign howard, nyquist, theres gotta be some big moves planned this summer because theres no way we're gonna compete for shit with the current roster even with the addition of the #1 overall pick

Reactions: hkydave04

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
taking those words into account, and if we re-sign howard, nyquist, theres gotta be some big moves planned this summer because theres no way we're gonna compete for **** with the current roster even with the addition of the #1 overall pick

Why should we compete with the current roster? We'll have obviously better roster at next season.

There's 25 million for free agency. Kids who got experience are better. Let crap guys like Frk, Witkowski, Vanek walk. Bring new kids and proven players in.

I think they are gonna throw big money for both Karlsson and Gardiner. Also forward market will be big. Why not going after Mark Stone or Duchene.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Interesting message from Holland. Playoff push for 2019-20 season. Rebuild will be over after 2019 draft.
Why should we compete with the current roster? We'll have obviously better roster at next season.

There's 25 million for free agency. Kids who got experience are better. Let crap guys like Frk, Witkowski, Vanek walk. Bring new kids and proven players in.

I think they are gonna throw big money for both Karlsson and Gardiner. Also forward market will be big. Why not going after Mark Stone or Duchene.

1 - He might not even be here next year
2 - Stop going off topic

Reactions: Run the Jewels

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the reason I am just not as high on Kakko is he honestly reminds me of Sam Reinhart. I get that he is smart, I get that he produces and puts himself in good spots. I get all that, but something just always leaves me wanting. Like I think he will be a very good hockey player. Like Sam Reinhart has turned into, but I don't know I just have the same feelings on him where something is missing with his game for me. I fully concede I could have a lot of egg on my face it isn't that he isn't a good player or deserving of his draft status I just have trouble moving him up my board because of this feeling.

There are certain guys that I don't get real into every year.

I do think Kakko winds up better than Reinhart if somebody gets upset about that.

I understand that a little better I guess. I get worried a lot that someone might be the next Bennett or Reinhart, so I get it.

If we have Hughes-Kakko-Podkolzin we our top 3 I will feel better about picking 4-6, honestly. Give me one of these centers or Byram.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

@8:50

I like Podkolzin's leg drive and how he plays through people. I think he plays with great leverage and balance at almost all times. I think he has slightly better hands and a better shot. I certainly think Podkolzin has a heavier game like you said in terms of that and the NA style that meshes well, but he also is elusive in terms of his puck handling when in transition. I just see a slightly higher ceiling with him and I have been more impressed with him when I have watched both players.

interesting how right after that he mentions having a lot of Wingers and lists off Rasmussen in that list

I recall getting a lot of push back for having him pegged as a Winger last season and in the offseason but looks like Holland agrees with that too now

Reactions: hkydave04

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
interesting how right after that he mentions having a lot of Wingers and lists off Rasmussen in that list

I recall getting a lot of push back for having him pegged as a Winger last season and in the offseason but looks like Holland agrees with that too now

I think that has more to do with Veleno. They weren't expecting to land a top 15 talent at the bottom of the first round.

You have one more open spot, a high draft pick coming in a year with center options and who knows if Duchene is a free agent perhaps we are talking to them. I think they will probably want to see him in the middle at some point, just to see what it looks like. But if we draft Cozens you can see where that role is closed except when we juggle lines looking for a spark or need him to slide into the middle for injury cover.

If we land Hughes for instance, I would put Ras on his line and let him take draws. That he has center flexibility is a selling point for Ras in my opinion. But if he becomes a goal producing top 6 guy out on the wing that is also a piece we need. He will have to continue to develop but one of the reasons I converted to Ras in a big way while having the WHL ticket last year was he is a little more versatile than I was expecting. I think the power of having him out at wing is he can crash the net with a little more abandon which is of benefit and why I see him there more and more. Rasmussen in a couple more seasons could be a real chalk talk player and nightmare for the opposing coach, especially with the modern rules as he gets stronger he is going to be a very difficult guy to deal with.

Reactions: Henkka

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I understand that a little better I guess. I get worried a lot that someone might be the next Bennett or Reinhart, so I get it.

If we have Hughes-Kakko-Podkolzin we our top 3 I will feel better about picking 4-6, honestly. Give me one of these centers or Byram.

I think Podkolzin winds up a Rangers player somehow. They like Russians, he has a history of chemistry with their first from last year. So assuming the Rangers pick in front of us but not in the one spot, I think that is where he goes.

If we draft one slot in front of them or two and those center and D are on the board, the Rangers have a bunch of assets. Yes, they are rebuilding but perhaps we can get something to not slide very far out of him. That or you know we won the lottery and are taking Hughes.:laugh: Time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
This playoff talk in 2020 is concerning, we need to put the cherry on the top of this thing or else it's going to need to start over again in a few years. We need 2-3 top 5 picks, here. We lack top end talent in a division loaded with it, a wildcard birth is only going to prolong the mediocrity. I'm liking the rebuilding, and the depth but god please don't take short cuts and blame our "impatience".

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This playoff talk in 2020 is concerning, we need to put the cherry on the top of this thing or else it's going to need to start over again in a few years. We need 2-3 top 5 picks, here. We lack top end talent in a division loaded with it, a wildcard birth is only going to prolong the mediocrity. I'm liking the rebuilding, and the depth but god please don't take short cuts and blame our "impatience".

It's what Kenny said. The rebuild will be over after 2019 draft, and we are gonna make real push for the playoffs after that. 25 millions of cap space to be used on free agency, and lots of talent there as UFAs.

It was pretty obvious message from him that he sees playoff experience as a part of the rebuild as a developmental thing. Young players have to get playoff experience at some point to become real winners. You just can't be out every year. That's why they are not gonna tank forever, sounded like three years out from the playoffs is enough, and they all the time talk that scortched earth rebuild is not any kind of option.

And I understand exactly what he is talking about. Stanley Cup playoffs are totally different sport than regular season NHL hockey. It's a matchup battle, same players face same opposite players in a series. You have to learn those things at some point, lose for getting that experience, before becoming a winner.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
It's what Kenny said. The rebuild will be over after 2019 draft, and we are gonna make real push for the playoffs after that. 25 millions of cap space to be used on free agency, and lots of talent there as UFAs.

It was pretty obvious message from him that he sees playoff experience as a part of the rebuild as a developmental thing. Young players have to get playoff experience at some point to become real winners. You just can't be out every year. That's why they are not gonna tank forever, sounded like three years out from the playoffs is enough, and they all the time talk that scortched earth rebuild is not any kind of option.

And I understand exactly what he is talking about. Stanley Cup playoffs are totally different sport than regular season NHL hockey. It's a matchup battle, same players face same opposite players in a series. You have to learn those things at some point, lose for getting that experience, before becoming a winner.
l understand what he was saying, but I feel like he's about to start filling the jar with pebbles and sand before we get some big rocks in there.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Hitting on Karlsson this summer is huge for the Wings. Miss on him and the whole "we'll compete for the playoffs" thing probably gets backed up a year.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Hitting on Karlsson this summer is huge for the Wings. Miss on him and the whole "we'll compete for the playoffs" thing probably gets backed up a year.
I think if that happens, you need to trade some of these kids and picks and make a go of it next year, sure.... but, that'd be pretty daring looking at our division. Besides, I kind of feel like EK signing in Detroit would be his LTIRetirem plan. I think he's going to try and win.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I have no problem seeing Rasmussen as winger because we have Larkin and Veleno and probably that 2019 being quality center. Those guys will be our future TOP9 offence to build around.

Veleno hasn't played a single pro game, and is more like a D+2 than a D+1. His production is fine, but, its not unexpected or world burning.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
to get Karlsson I hope he make some trades so both Cholowsky and Hronek stays in Detroit

Use Ericsson as the #7 and we don't have to trade anyone if all we sign is Karlsson. With Green, Ericsson, and Daley we're likely to have blueliners missing some substantial time with injuries anyway.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Use Ericsson as the #7 and we don't have to trade anyone if all we sign is Karlsson. With Green, Ericsson, and Daley we're likely to have blueliners missing some substantial time with injuries anyway.
Ericsson, Daley and Green will all be entering their final year of their deals this offseason. They should all be available for trade before, during or after the draft this summer.

Players I'd want to sign in free agency:

Jordan Weal, C
Carl Hagelin, LW
Jake Gardiner, D

Yuck

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ericsson, Daley and Green will all be entering their final year of their deals this offseason. They should all be available for trade before, during or after the draft this summer.

I'm sure they are, but Green's NTC and Daley breaking his foot have probably put a wrench into drumming up trade interest. Even if we don't deal anyone, though, I'm just saying that it doesn't mean either of Hronek or Cholo will be relegated to GR just because we sign one other D. It only gets weird if Holland decides to start loading up back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad