Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by Voodoo Glow Skulls, Jun 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Interesting message from Holland. Playoff push for 2019-20 season. Rebuild will be over after 2019 draft.

2. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

taking those words into account, and if we re-sign howard, nyquist, theres gotta be some big moves planned this summer because theres no way we're gonna compete for **** with the current roster even with the addition of the #1 overall pick

hkydave04 likes this.
  3. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    Why should we compete with the current roster? We'll have obviously better roster at next season.

There's 25 million for free agency. Kids who got experience are better. Let crap guys like Frk, Witkowski, Vanek walk. Bring new kids and proven players in.

I think they are gonna throw big money for both Karlsson and Gardiner. Also forward market will be big. Why not going after Mark Stone or Duchene.

TheOtherOne likes this.
  4. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

1 - He might not even be here next year
    2 - Stop going off topic

Run the Jewels likes this.
  5. Frk It

Frk It From Z to Z

I understand that a little better I guess. I get worried a lot that someone might be the next Bennett or Reinhart, so I get it.

If we have Hughes-Kakko-Podkolzin we our top 3 I will feel better about picking 4-6, honestly. Give me one of these centers or Byram.

The Zetterberg Era likes this.
  6. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

interesting how right after that he mentions having a lot of Wingers and lists off Rasmussen in that list

I recall getting a lot of push back for having him pegged as a Winger last season and in the offseason but looks like Holland agrees with that too now

hkydave04 likes this.
  7. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

I think that has more to do with Veleno. They weren't expecting to land a top 15 talent at the bottom of the first round.

You have one more open spot, a high draft pick coming in a year with center options and who knows if Duchene is a free agent perhaps we are talking to them. I think they will probably want to see him in the middle at some point, just to see what it looks like. But if we draft Cozens you can see where that role is closed except when we juggle lines looking for a spark or need him to slide into the middle for injury cover.

If we land Hughes for instance, I would put Ras on his line and let him take draws. That he has center flexibility is a selling point for Ras in my opinion. But if he becomes a goal producing top 6 guy out on the wing that is also a piece we need. He will have to continue to develop but one of the reasons I converted to Ras in a big way while having the WHL ticket last year was he is a little more versatile than I was expecting. I think the power of having him out at wing is he can crash the net with a little more abandon which is of benefit and why I see him there more and more. Rasmussen in a couple more seasons could be a real chalk talk player and nightmare for the opposing coach, especially with the modern rules as he gets stronger he is going to be a very difficult guy to deal with.

Henkka likes this.
  8. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    I have no problem seeing Rasmussen as winger because we have Larkin and Veleno and probably that 2019 being quality center. Those guys will be our future TOP9 offence to build around.

9. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

I think Podkolzin winds up a Rangers player somehow. They like Russians, he has a history of chemistry with their first from last year. So assuming the Rangers pick in front of us but not in the one spot, I think that is where he goes.

If we draft one slot in front of them or two and those center and D are on the board, the Rangers have a bunch of assets. Yes, they are rebuilding but perhaps we can get something to not slide very far out of him. That or you know we won the lottery and are taking Hughes.:laugh: Time will tell.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Fire Ken Holland likes this.
  10. Marky9er

Marky9er Registered User

This playoff talk in 2020 is concerning, we need to put the cherry on the top of this thing or else it's going to need to start over again in a few years. We need 2-3 top 5 picks, here. We lack top end talent in a division loaded with it, a wildcard birth is only going to prolong the mediocrity. I'm liking the rebuilding, and the depth but god please don't take short cuts and blame our "impatience".

11. Henkka

Henkka Registered User

Top Secret
    It's what Kenny said. The rebuild will be over after 2019 draft, and we are gonna make real push for the playoffs after that. 25 millions of cap space to be used on free agency, and lots of talent there as UFAs.

It was pretty obvious message from him that he sees playoff experience as a part of the rebuild as a developmental thing. Young players have to get playoff experience at some point to become real winners. You just can't be out every year. That's why they are not gonna tank forever, sounded like three years out from the playoffs is enough, and they all the time talk that scortched earth rebuild is not any kind of option.

And I understand exactly what he is talking about. Stanley Cup playoffs are totally different sport than regular season NHL hockey. It's a matchup battle, same players face same opposite players in a series. You have to learn those things at some point, lose for getting that experience, before becoming a winner.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. Marky9er

Marky9er Registered User

l understand what he was saying, but I feel like he's about to start filling the jar with pebbles and sand before we get some big rocks in there.

StNickFan and jkutswings like this.
  13. Orthodox Caveman

Orthodox Caveman Registered User

We need a top 5 pick in the 2020 draft as well before we can even ice a team capable of making the playoffs.

14. TheMule93

TheMule93 On a mule rides the swindler

with no free agent or trade additions, sure

Nightmare on Helm St likes this.
  15. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

Hitting on Karlsson this summer is huge for the Wings. Miss on him and the whole "we'll compete for the playoffs" thing probably gets backed up a year.

16. Orthodox Caveman

Orthodox Caveman Registered User

What UFA will want to come here

17. Run the Jewels

Run the Jewels Make Detroit Great Again

Oh, ya know: Vanek, Green, Daley, Weiss, Nielsen, Quincey.

18. Marky9er

Marky9er Registered User

I think if that happens, you need to trade some of these kids and picks and make a go of it next year, sure.... but, that'd be pretty daring looking at our division. Besides, I kind of feel like EK signing in Detroit would be his LTIRetirem plan. I think he's going to try and win.

19. lilidk

lilidk Registered User

I believe Holland
    to get Karlsson I hope he make some trades so both Cholowsky and Hronek stays in Detroit

20. Larkin1578

Larkin1578 Registered User

Players I'd want to sign in free agency:

Jordan Weal, C
    Carl Hagelin, LW
    Jake Gardiner, D

21. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    Veleno hasn't played a single pro game, and is more like a D+2 than a D+1. His production is fine, but, its not unexpected or world burning.

22. Shaman464

Shaman464 #FireHolland

Virologist/Immunologist
    What good UFA wants to come here?

23. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

Use Ericsson as the #7 and we don't have to trade anyone if all we sign is Karlsson. With Green, Ericsson, and Daley we're likely to have blueliners missing some substantial time with injuries anyway.

24. Claypool

Claypool Registered User

Ericsson, Daley and Green will all be entering their final year of their deals this offseason. They should all be available for trade before, during or after the draft this summer.

Yuck

25. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

I'm sure they are, but Green's NTC and Daley breaking his foot have probably put a wrench into drumming up trade interest. Even if we don't deal anyone, though, I'm just saying that it doesn't mean either of Hronek or Cholo will be relegated to GR just because we sign one other D. It only gets weird if Holland decides to start loading up back there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.