Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
I'm in what is a small minority, but I like Kakko more than Hughes.

At the very least, I think Hughes is much more similar to a Hischier/RNH level projected #1 OA prospect than a Hall/Mackinnon/Matthews. I hate how Craig Button hypes up Hughes to be McDavid-level and pretends Kakko is closer to Cozens than Hughes. I think that's insane. Still would be happy with either one.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

At the very least, I think Hughes is much more similar to a Hischier/RNH level projected #1 OA prospect than a Hall/Mackinnon/Matthews. Still would be happy with either one.
Other than size what makes you prefer Kakko?

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
Other than size what makes you prefer Kakko?

Skating is similar, shot is better from what I've seen and heard (I've heard alot more than I've seen, I'll concede that. Other than youtube highlights and the world juniors, I haven't seen much). Hughes probably has the edge in his playmaking ability.

And yeah I'd rather the 6'0 than the 5'10 for sure.

Again though, both would be big time franchise building blocks for us. Can't complain with either.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

At the very least, I think Hughes is much more similar to a Hischier/RNH level projected #1 OA prospect than a Hall/Mackinnon/Matthews. I hate how Craig Button hypes up Hughes to be McDavid-level and pretends Kakko is closer to Cozens than Hughes. I think that's insane. Still would be happy with either one.

I'm not high on Hughes either. I think he'll be a good NHL player, but I think there's someone else I'd rather Wings build around.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Last I checked, I believe Kakko has a comprable PPG in Liiga play to Laine in his draft year. So I don’t think you are crazy if you feel that way. That combined with his play in the big tournaments has been pretty awesome.

I think I’ve had to temper myself in saying Hughes is the #1 by a sizable gap. I think Kakko is at least in the discussion.

I think they are in that top tier together, just don’t say this around @The Zetterberg Era...

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Podkolzin is definitely in the second tier
Maybe in your personal ranking but mine looks like the one posted above. I’d probably have Podkolzin in a third tier by himself and push Zegras down but I’m really high on the centers and Byram.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe in your personal ranking but mine looks like the one posted above. I’d probably have Podkolzin in a third tier by himself and push Zegras down but I’m really high on the centers and Byram.

Yeah, I don’t know.

I’ve heard there are concerns on him coming over. He’s not as big as Cozens or Dach, and doesn’t skate as well as Turcotte or Krebs.

I just feel like there is some risk there. But I’ve been burned by Russians a decent amount, so maybe that bias is creeping in a little.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Yeah, I don’t know.

I’ve heard there are concerns on him coming over. He’s not as big as Cozens or Dach, and doesn’t skate as well as Turcotte or Krebs.

I just feel like there is some risk there. But I’ve been burned by Russians a decent amount, so maybe that bias is creeping in a little.
There is always risk with Russians , especially when you draft earlier.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Skating is similar, shot is better from what I've seen and heard (I've heard alot more than I've seen, I'll concede that. Other than youtube highlights and the world juniors, I haven't seen much). Hughes probably has the edge in his playmaking ability.

And yeah I'd rather the 6'0 than the 5'10 for sure.

Again though, both would be big time franchise building blocks for us. Can't complain with either.

In what way is their skating similar? While @Frk It is right that I am a big Hughes guy and not a big Kakko guy this year, I don't see how anybody can say their skating is similar. Hughes is one of the ten best first round skaters to come through the draft in my lifetime in terms of edgework, explosion and top-end gear with the puck.

Also Button goes out of his way to say McDavid is on another level than other guys a lot. So I don't think that is accurate. He does put him in a MacKinnon level when he talks about him and I agree. Of course I had Seth Jones #1 that year.

Kakko is a very good passer down low and we do have Larkin to carry the puck a lot to fit him with. I want a center or D-man though and I don't think this should be our pick.

There is debate that Hughes will wind up on the wing. I personally still see him as a center, but even as a winger I see him as the elusive game breaking variety like Johhny Hockey, Kucherov, Kane and Breadman. That isn't really what Kakko is either for me so even if we project both on the wing I still prefer Hughes. Actually also have Podkolzin in front of Kakko in terms of wingers. We will see, Holland listed Hughes, Kakko and Podkolzin in that order the other day. I would prefer Dach, Cozens, Turcotte or one of the D-man over Kakko and Podkolzin just from the standpoint of I don't see drafting another pure winger this high up.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
In what way is their skating similar? While @Frk It is right that I am a big Hughes guy and not a big Kakko guy this year, I don't see how anybody can say their skating is similar. Hughes is one of the ten best first round skaters to come through the draft in my lifetime in terms of edgework, explosion and top-end gear with the puck.

Also Button goes out of his way to say McDavid is on another level than other guys a lot. So I don't think that is accurate. He does put him in a MacKinnon level when he talks about him and I agree. Of course I had Seth Jones #1 that year.

Kakko is a very good passer down low and we do have Larkin to carry the puck a lot to fit him with. I want a center or D-man though and I don't think this should be our pick.

There is debate that Hughes will wind up on the wing. I personally still see him as a center, but even as a winger I see him as the elusive game breaking variety like Johhny Hockey, Kucherov, Kane and Breadman. That isn't really what Kakko is either for me so even if we project both on the wing I still prefer Hughes. Actually also have Podkolzin in front of Kakko in terms of wingers. We will see, Holland listed Hughes, Kakko and Podkolzin in that order the other day. I would prefer Dach, Cozens, Turcotte or one of the D-man over Kakko and Podkolzin just from the standpoint of I don't see drafting another pure winger this high up.

Yeah it's fine to prefer Hughes, I don't have an issue with that. Kakko is an unreal skater as well though, so quick and fluid at the world juniors, I was extremely impressed.

As for Craig Button, I haven't seen him hype up a #1 OA pick this much since McDavid. In fact, he typically exaggerates the ability of the #2 guy for the sake of creating draft intrigue/drama (ie. Trying to convince us Eichel was close to McDavid, saying Laine could go ahead of Matthews, Patrick over Hischier, etc.) The funny thing is that Kakko is probably more in Hughes' league than any of those other #2 guys were to their respective #1s above.

This leads me to believe Button has some weird bias towards Jack Hughes. You have to wonder if he knows his family or if something personal is at play. It's very weird, and i think the obsession is fairly obvious.

Not that this contributes to my Kakko > Hughes thoughts, I'm just explaining why I find Button's Hughes obsession strange.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

I could see him being the type who lines up at wing and converts to more of a centre during play too. Either way his skating is just ridiculous, that whole family really. If we're somehow lucky enough to draft Jack it'll make me wish we drafted Quinn last year, even though I like Zadina.

Wherever we land in the top 5 we should be getting a really good player, which is what we want out of this process.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah it's fine to prefer Hughes, I don't have an issue with that. Kakko is an unreal skater as well though, so quick and fluid at the world juniors, I was extremely impressed.

As for Craig Button, I haven't seen him hype up a #1 OA pick this much since McDavid. In fact, he typically exaggerates the ability of the #2 guy for the sake of creating draft intrigue/drama (ie. Trying to convince us Eichel was close to McDavid, saying Laine could go ahead of Matthews, Patrick over Hischier, etc.) The funny thing is that Kakko is probably more in Hughes' league than any of those other #2 guys were to their respective #1s above.

This leads me to believe Button has some weird bias towards Jack Hughes. You have to wonder if he knows his family or if something personal is at play. It's very weird, and i think the obsession is fairly obvious.

Not that this contributes to my Kakko > Hughes thoughts, I'm just explaining why I find Button's Hughes obsession strange.

He knows the Hughes family well, most of the big hockey types do because their Dad and Mom have been active in hockey circles for years. Pierre McGuire is good friends with Jim Hughes if I remember right.

I still don't have Kakko in my top 5. I know that drives some around here crazy, but no I don't have him in Hughes' tier. Also, scouts don't either they can keep talking about some closing gap, but every time they are asked Hughes remains locked in at #1. By the way on a level that is more generational in terms of he is going to be the #1 wire to wire from about the age of 14 in. That does happen with some frequency, but it is the McDavid, Stamkos, Matthews and Tavares crowd guys that have done that. Not the RNH and Hischier crowd. There is a reason for that in my opinion. Special talent, the puck follows him around the ice and he generates an insane amount of chances.

On a fit standpoint Cozens is gaining a lot of steam with me. He fits the identity of the team we are building and brings the needed handedness to the picture as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingerdinger

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dear NHL,

We would like to find a way to select all of Jack Hughes, Dylan Cozens, and Bowen Byram with our first round pick. We realize there is no precedence here, and at first glance it doesn't even appear to be possible, but we'd really appreciate you doing us a solid on this one.

Sincerely,
Detroit

We would refer to the time were you screwed up and ****** us out of Pavel Bure. It is time to call that card in...:laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We will see, Holland listed Hughes, Kakko and Podkolzin in that order the other day.

When was this?

I would prefer Dach, Cozens, Turcotte or one of the D-man over Kakko and Podkolzin just from the standpoint of I don't see drafting another pure winger this high up.

Can you explain Podklozin over Kakko to me? I can’t think of 1 thing he does better outside of maybe being grittier.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When was this?

Can you explain Podklozin over Kakko to me? I can’t think of 1 thing he does better outside of maybe being grittier.

@8:50

I like Podkolzin's leg drive and how he plays through people. I think he plays with great leverage and balance at almost all times. I think he has slightly better hands and a better shot. I certainly think Podkolzin has a heavier game like you said in terms of that and the NA style that meshes well, but he also is elusive in terms of his puck handling when in transition. I just see a slightly higher ceiling with him and I have been more impressed with him when I have watched both players.

Last edited:

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
@WolvesAndWings can you give me your input on Blake Murray and Quinton Byfield?

Surprised about the interest in Murray. I think I saw a post here where someone wants to take him in the second round. He had a bad start to the year but has woken up over the past month and a half offensively, but his two-way game didn't pick up until the central scouting list came out and he ended up way lower than he was touted prior to the season. I think he'll go somewhere around the 4th round. His shot and ability on the puck are his biggest strengths but I have concerns with his intensity game to game.

Byfield is a different story. Elite skater, highly skilled 6'5 center who also can also play on the wing. He uses his size very well too. Brilliant hockey IQ. Right now I think he should be expected to go #2 overall after Lafreniere in 2020, and I prefer both Byfield and Lafreniere next year to both Hughes and Kakko this year for what that's worth.

In Byfield's AAA league, he is 3rd all time in scoring behind Stamkos and Hall.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Surprised about the interest in Murray. I think I saw a post here where someone wants to take him in the second round. He had a bad start to the year but has woken up over the past month and a half offensively, but his two-way game didn't pick up until the central scouting list came out and he ended up way lower than he was touted prior to the season. I think he'll go somewhere around the 4th round.

Byfield is a different story. Elite skater, highly skilled 6'5 center who also plays on the wing. Right now I think he should be expected to go #2 overall after Lafreniere in 2020.

There are times when I watch him where I think Byfield can make that a race in terms of the #1 pick. He is a gifted young man, I have never come away from a viewing with anything but optimism. He has a tremendous ceiling in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the reason I am just not as high on Kakko is he honestly reminds me of Sam Reinhart. I get that he is smart, I get that he produces and puts himself in good spots. I get all that, but something just always leaves me wanting. Like I think he will be a very good hockey player. Like Sam Reinhart has turned into, but I don't know I just have the same feelings on him where something is missing with his game for me. I fully concede I could have a lot of egg on my face it isn't that he isn't a good player or deserving of his draft status I just have trouble moving him up my board because of this feeling.

There are certain guys that I don't get real into every year.

I do think Kakko winds up better than Reinhart if somebody gets upset about that.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
From what I've seen of Kakko (4-5 games on NA ice), he has that Zetterberg-like quality where he magically wins every battle and always comes away with the puck. He's not near the skater Hughes is, but he doesn't need to be; he's a fairly big, strong kid who loves to make plays in tight, especially after he outmuscles somebody for the puck. Very creative with the puck, excellent stickhandler, very good vision. I didn't see a very strong desire to shoot from distance, but he liked to go down low and score that way.

Kakko worries me because his greatest strength IMO comes from winning battles. Does that come from an exceptional ability at it, or is he just a very strong guy whose advantage might fade at the NHL level? I think he'd still be an effective player without it, but he wouldn't be elite.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->