Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good list. I am not a Suzuki guy personally and would have him in the mid-teens but I like the relative rankings of the others. I am not sure I would have the stones to take Dach over Kakko if I was standing at the podium but I understand why you might want to if you were picking for the Wings.

I like Kakko a lot, that one is a tough call.

For us I feel like Dach makes more sense, but Kakko could well end up the better player.

I like both Broberg and Turcotte more than Kakko so that would be fine with me. This is another very good top 10 when I have watched the guys near there. I expect once fully healthy he will challenge for top 5 status over the back part of the year.

What is your concern with Kakko?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like Kakko a lot, that one is a tough call.

For us I feel like Dach makes more sense, but Kakko could well end up the better player.

What is your concern with Kakko?

I like Kakko in terms of a player, I have him at #7 so obviously different than a lot of people there. But I like him and wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him this year. I am not sure he is a superstar, I feel about him kind of like I feel about Zadina last year in that I am just not sure what some of people think his ceiling is can happen. I hope it does, I don't root against these kids... Well until they are drafted by the Hawks and Leafs and then it is hopefully they get traded.

I don't think he will play that kind of power game over here consistently and I don't see a frame to support it. The guy is likely to fill out to the same size as Larkin, Toews or Bergeron. I mean people talk about him like he is this hulking physical specimen at times. I doubt it, he is likely to be 6'2" and 200 lbs. He plays with a great center of gravity but realistically top pairing D-man are able to move guys this size a lot. Again I think he will be good, but I don't think he will pick on the goalies and d-men the same way down low though Tkachuk sold me more and more last year on this and Kakko still has months to go in terms of I might see the "light" the rest of the scouting community does.

I need to watch him more, saw him in a couple of games in his mini-slump in a little while ago. I don't see the center upside here either in terms of people pushing that narrative lately. If I am converting a European draft prospect to center it is Podkolzin. He could certainly move up, I am only firm on top 2 right now. I think a lot of things can slide. The Broberg package has me intrigued but now I am trying to determine if he is Bogosian so he could fall. But I have liked him the couple of times I have tuned in this year and he was fantastic at the Hlinka like you said. Same with Podkolzin in terms of guys I project actually transitioning easier in terms of the NHL when I watch them, thinking they could be superstars.

He is a top 10 pick to me in a very good draft, so it isn't dislike so much as it is I like a few of the guys above him.

1.) Hughes
2.) Dach
3.) Broberg
4.) Turcotte (assuming he proves healthy)
5.) Podkolzin
6.) Cozens
7.) Kakko
8.) Byram
9.) Newhook
10.) York

Again I expect this to change. Not expecting a ton of shift in the top 2 though. I like those guys a heck of a lot now.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I like Kakko in terms of a player, I have him at #7 so obviously different than a lot of people there. But I like him and wouldn't be disappointed if we picked him this year. I am not sure he is a superstar, I feel about him kind of like I feel about Zadina last year in that I am just not sure what some of people think his ceiling is can happen. I hope it does, I don't root against these kids... Well until they are drafted by the Hawks and Leafs and then it is hopefully they get traded.

I don't think he will play that kind of power game over here consistently and I don't see a frame to support it. The guy is likely to fill out to the same size as Larkin, Toews or Bergeron. I mean people talk about him like he is this hulking physical specimen at times. I doubt it, he is likely to be 6'2" and 200 lbs. He plays with a great center of gravity but realistically top pairing D-man are able to move guys this size a lot. Again I think he will be good, but I don't think he will pick on the goalies and d-men the same way down low though Tkachuk sold me more and more last year on this and Kakko still has months to go in terms of I might see the "light" the rest of the scouting community does.

I need to watch him more, saw him in a couple of games in his mini-slump in a little while ago. I don't see the center upside here either in terms of people pushing that narrative lately. If I am converting a European draft prospect to center it is Podkolzin. He could certainly move up, I am only firm on top 2 right now. I think a lot of things can slide. The Broberg package has me intrigued but now I am trying to determine if he is Bogosian so he could fall. But I have liked him the couple of times I have tuned in this year and he was fantastic at the Hlinka like you said. Same with Podkolzin in terms of guys I project actually transitioning easier in terms of the NHL when I watch them, thinking they could be superstars.

He is a top 10 pick to me in a very good draft, so it isn't dislike so much as it is I like a few of the guys above him.

1.) Hughes
2.) Dach
3.) Broberg
4.) Turcotte (assuming he proves healthy)
5.) Podkolzin
6.) Cozens
7.) Kakko
8.) Byram
9.) Newhook
10.) York

Again I expect this to change. Not expecting a ton of shift in the top 2 though. I like those guys a heck of a lot now.

Re: Kakko

He doesn’t need to be a hulking presence with how he plays. He’s smart and pretty skilled.

I mean he is doing pretty damn well in the Liiga, plus he’s dominated internationally every time he’s played for Finland. I agree that he is probably a winger, but he’s a pretty damn good winger prospect from what I’ve seen.

Kind of hard to rank the Euro’s, I’m a lot familiar with the NA players. But Kakko has been hard to ignore when I have seen him play.

If Broberg plays at the WJC, that will be a good chance to get a better picture of what he is. I also think this Kokkonen kid has a chance to improve his stock as well. Lots of games left here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good list. I am not a Suzuki guy personally and would have him in the mid-teens but I like the relative rankings of the others. I am not sure I would have the stones to take Dach over Kakko if I was standing at the podium but I understand why you might want to if you were picking for the Wings.

Suzuki is kind of like Barzal to me in the sense that he has the kind of upside where he can make a bunch of teams look really dumb for passing on him, and I wouldn’t want to be one of them.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Re: Kakko

He doesn’t need to be a hulking presence with how he plays. He’s smart and pretty skilled.

I mean he is doing pretty damn well in the Liiga, plus he’s dominated internationally every time he’s played for Finland. I agree that he is probably a winger, but he’s a pretty damn good winger prospect from what I’ve seen.

Kind of hard to rank the Euro’s, I’m a lot familiar with the NA players. But Kakko has been hard to ignore when I have seen him play.

If Broberg plays at the WJC, that will be a good chance to get a better picture of what he is. I also think this Kokkonen kid has a chance to improve his stock as well. Lots of games left here.

I think he could very well end up #3 on my list. I just want a little more,

I think he has been very good. I was really impressed with his U18. He is a really good looking prospect when I watch him. I have been more impressed with others from his year thus far.

Reactions: Frk It

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Some good options in the OHL for rounds 2&3:

Jamison Rees, Blake Murray, Billy Constantinou, Matvei Guskov, Thomas Harley, Phillip Tomasino

Tag Bertuzzi has fallen off a bit, but I bet Detroit may still be interested.

I don't mind using a low round pick on Tag Bertuzzi at all.

Honestly, we are probably the ideal team to develop him. I am not putting a high one on him, but I think we could turn him into an NHL guy. He fits the kind of team we are building and he has good parts to his game that I think he is a perfect low round flyer guy.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
So we're on track to finish with around 79 pts and probably picking around 8-10 unless lady luck vaults us in to the top 3. Hughes, Kakko and Dach are the players I like in those spots, respectively.

Averaging some of the draft lists the names that stick out in our range are Turcotte and Broberg. What do you guys think of these players? From what I've seen of Turcotte is his skating sticks out as inefficient to say the least. Broberg while a standout at the Hlinka, seems like a very raw prospect.

Byrom is floating around the 8-10 pick. Would definitely pick him, if available.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Completely idle speculation, but if the Wings draft 10th or so, I could see them trading down and drafting Brett Leason at 15th or so. Big overage scorer from the WHL. 6'4, and can skate, too. RH center.

I'm sure people won't love the idea, but it seems very Holland/Wright to me.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I know people are likely to disagree but if We get a first for Nyquist and Spencer Knight is available we should snag him with our second first. He reminds me of Vasy and Gibson as prospects.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know people are likely to disagree but if We get a first for Nyquist and Spencer Knight is available we should snag him with our second first. He reminds me of Vasy and Gibson as prospects.

I usually am against it, but I am OK with taking either Knight or Søgaard with a late 1st this year. Those 2 guys are pretty impressive young goalies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Completely idle speculation, but if the Wings draft 10th or so, I could see them trading down and drafting Brett Leason at 15th or so. Big overage scorer from the WHL. 6'4, and can skate, too. RH center.

I don’t think a double overager is going top 15, and I have yet to see him ranked anywhere around there.

I think there are other guys in the WHL or Western Canada region we would like more. Pretty strong year for that area. I think Dach, Cozens, Byram, Krebs, Newhook are all guys with traits Detroit would like better.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Highly doubt Holland doesn't go for defense this time. He wanted it last year and just had Zadina and Veleno fall into his lap. Couldn't pass it up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Highly doubt Holland doesn't go for defense this time. He wanted it last year and just had Zadina and Veleno fall into his lap. Couldn't pass it up.

We have used 1 first rounder on a defenseman in the last 10 years, and the strength of the top 10 this year is clearly at center, so I’m not sure why you feel that way.

Only guy I really feel comfortable putting in the top 10 is Byram, and he is closer to 10 for me.

Odds are this is another forward pick for us, but that makes sense this year. I wouldn’t hate taking Byram or York (if we draft 7-10), but I certainly don’t think it is the likely scenario by any means.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it would be smart to use one of our extra picks on this guy:

Brett Leason at eliteprospects.com

He is almost leading the WHL on points.

6'4 RW, righty, scores like mad and great skater.

Time to start getting those right-handers from somewhere.

He could be signed just as a free agent (which isn't any kind of quarantee he will sign), but using a 3rd round pick would lock him for us.

Leason has been Rasmussen's teammate at Tri-City, so maybe they could have some inside info also.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tag Bertuzzi has fallen off a bit, but I bet Detroit may still be interested.

Tag Bertuzzi just walked off the Guelph Storm I'm pretty sure. That team is a shit show, itll be interesting to see what happens to his draft stock.

For the people loving Dach, I wouldnt be so sure. He had a nice little hot streak going to start the year but has completely fallen off lately, one point his last 9 games and only 3 in his last 12. On the other hand in the WHL, Cozens has just steadily produced and is up to 9th in league scoring, passing Dach with 5 more points in 7 less games. I didnt love Dach in the 2 games I've seen from him but hes still a high end prospect. I would just lean Cozens myself.

@The Zetterberg Era I think your take on Kakko is way too much of a hot take. Having him at 7th right now is pretty wild. Not to accuse you but I know you love Hughes, I think youre taking people comparing Kakko to him a little too seriously and trying to counter that a little bit. Kakko is a monster, theres no way he goes 7th, especially now that hes getting some games at center

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tag Bertuzzi just walked off the Guelph Storm I'm pretty sure. That team is a **** show, itll be interesting to see what happens to his draft stock.

For the people loving Dach, I wouldnt be so sure. He had a nice little hot streak going to start the year but has completely fallen off lately, one point his last 9 games and only 3 in his last 12. On the other hand in the WHL, Cozens has just steadily produced and is up to 9th in league scoring, passing Dach with 5 more points in 7 less games. I didnt love Dach in the 2 games I've seen from him but hes still a high end prospect. I would just lean Cozens myself.

@The Zetterberg Era I think your take on Kakko is way too much of a hot take. Having him at 7th right now is pretty wild. Not to accuse you but I know you love Hughes, I think youre taking people comparing Kakko to him a little too seriously and trying to counter that a little bit. Kakko is a monster, theres no way he goes 7th, especially now that hes getting some games at center

I liked Cozens much better at the Hlinka, then swayed towards Dach, now am kind of favoring Cozens again (despite my recent ranking lol).

Those two are tough, I have flip-flopped on them a bunch. I anticipated having Cozens higher of the two throughout the year, but Dach was just on such a tear it was hard to ignore it. Dach may be more skilled, but I can see Cozens being a 30-30 or 40-40 guy all day. Just a very smart and efficient player. His RH shot would be a great addition to our PP too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I liked Cozens much better at the Hlinka, then swayed towards Dach, now am kind of favoring Cozens again (despite my recent ranking lol).

Those two are tough, I have flip-flopped on them a bunch. I anticipated having Cozens higher of the two throughout the year, but Dach was just on such a tear it was hard to ignore it. Dach may be more skilled, but I can see Cozens being a 30-30 or 40-40 guy all day. Just a very smart and efficient player. His RH shot would be a great addition to our PP too.

Exactly. That Tear Dach was on had people projecting him to playlike that all season and rightfully be top 3-5 guy. Now its looking more like a hot streak and draft boards should be adjusted accordingly

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Exactly. That Tear Dach was on had people projecting him to playlike that all season and rightfully be top 3-5 guy. Now its looking more like a hot streak and draft boards should be adjusted accordingly

I do like the skill set aside from just the stats, but yeah. He was certainly looking like a world-beater there for awhile.

I like the total package with Cozens. I think if he hits on his potential, he is someone who can go get you a big goal or also set one up. Dach is a really good playmaker, but I don't know if he will be as multi-faceted.

I like them both, I would be psyched with either. They are both big RH centers with loads of potential.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Tag Bertuzzi just walked off the Guelph Storm I'm pretty sure. That team is a **** show, itll be interesting to see what happens to his draft stock.

It is just where I have him, I had Zadina at #9 so I don't really care about the traditional boards when I do it. There are guys I like and guys I don't like. I liked him a lot in the U18s, I actually disagreed with those saying he was driving more of that line than Kotkaniemi is probably a part of this.

I don't believe as much in Kakko as those ahead of him, that is a personal opinion. If I was being Todd McShay I would say there is no way in the world he goes that low barring a massive injury. Dach's cold streak doesn't bother me yet as I like the raw materials he is working with and his fit for the team. Grabbing a right handed center with that kind of size and playmaking ability intrigues me. I would take Cozens over Kakko as well from a Red Wings perspective.

If we win the bingo Lottery and get Hughes that is great. Not counting on it, but I have three boards in my head. Where I think they will actually go, best done with McKenzie's stuff once that becomes clearer. A Red Wings board in terms of guys I think fit for us. My own board. Yes they are hard to keep separate at times but I am very partial to going after one of the big right handed center guys in Dach or Cozens if we can get one this year. I think they fit what we are building in Detroit the best.

Not real enamored with drafting a left-handed winger. In fact I would want movement of a winger if we win #2 and go with the group think and select Kakko.

I have Cozens over Dach for a little bit this summer, but I see Jumbo Joe and Getzlaf in Dach and I don't want to pass that up, especially with the right-handed shot. He is a slick playmaker, his points should be more consistent at the NHL level where guys are better finishers. I don't think it is him causing the cold streak is what I am getting at there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad