Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
USNTDP looked good today. Zegras played with a chip all game, tried some fancy stuff.

Caulfield, Turcotte and Boldy were very noticeable all game.

K. Tkachuk was there, so was Draper.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Watched some clips of Cozens and he strikes me as the least skilled prospect of the top 5. He's a slightly better skater and more of a scoring threat than Dach so far but he seems less cerebral and not as sound of a puck handler.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Trade down?? Chances are teams want Kakko at 1st. It would be a huge gamble that we can't afford.

There is nobody suggesting that Hughes isn't going number 1 with all 31 teams that has internal knowledge.

Even the most critical comments to date were from Pierre McGuire and that was because he doesn't think Hughes is in the MacKinnon, Eichel and Matthews range. While I can disagree even Pierre acknowledge Hughes is locked in for the #1 draft pick. Bobby Mac recently answered if you could move Lefreniere forward he would go behind Hughes in terms of the talent evaluators he has spoken to. From people that know and report in the media not a single source has this as a real competition. Nobody wants Kakko over Hughes that we have heard of and there is a reason for that. It is why we wouldn't pass on Hughes and skip to the podium to select him if we win the lottery. He is the best player in this draft.

He also is above average defensively. Not great, but pretty good for a 17 year old offensive dynamo. He uses his skating to back-pressure opponents and hound the puck. So yeah he isn't an elite two-way center, but he isn't completely bereft of playing assignment hockey within a system, he uses his skating to do that quite well in my opinion.

We should go BPA this year and I really believe that in all top 10 picks. If you get cute there and miss you have really set back your franchise.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm gonna be pissed if Chicago and Colorado end up with the top 2 picks. Ottawa needs to get it together.

Yeah definitely dont need Hughes or Kakko going to Colorado. Thats exactly what they need to win a bunch of cups. A stud young player to provide depth scoring. Ottawa isnt going to sell at the deadline probably for that reason though and Chabot will be back eventually which will help. I cant see Chicago staying where they are but who knows

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There is nobody suggesting that Hughes isn't going number 1 with all 31 teams that has internal knowledge.

Even the most critical comments to date were from Pierre McGuire and that was because he doesn't think Hughes is in the MacKinnon, Eichel and Matthews range. While I can disagree even Pierre acknowledge Hughes is locked in for the #1 draft pick. Bobby Mac recently answered if you could move Lefreniere forward he would go behind Hughes in terms of the talent evaluators he has spoken to. From people that know and report in the media not a single source has this as a real competition. Nobody wants Kakko over Hughes that we have heard of and there is a reason for that. It is why we wouldn't pass on Hughes and skip to the podium to select him if we win the lottery. He is the best player in this draft.

He also is above average defensively. Not great, but pretty good for a 17 year old offensive dynamo. He uses his skating to back-pressure opponents and hound the puck. So yeah he isn't an elite two-way center, but he isn't completely bereft of playing assignment hockey within a system, he uses his skating to do that quite well in my opinion.

We should go BPA this year and I really believe that in all top 10 picks. If you get cute there and miss you have really set back your franchise.

Here’s some of what you are referring to:

I also think it’s kind of funny that we often hear the criticism with our prospects that “prospect x doesn’t drive a line, or won’t carry a line.”

If there’s one thing this kid does, it’s drive whatever line he plays in... he makes every winger he’s ever played with look fantastic.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Here’s some of what you are referring to:

I also think it’s kind of funny that we often hear the criticism with our prospects that “prospect x doesn’t drive a line, or won’t carry a line.”

If there’s one thing this kid does, it’s drive whatever line he plays in... he makes every winger he’s ever played with look fantastic.

He has one of the best ten offensive IQs I have ever seen in my life. NHL guys included.

I am bought in full on as you know, if Jack Hughes is anything short of a superstar I will take all the egg on my face in the world. Special. My God would it be amazing if the lottery smiled on us. I have only seen a few guys I think see the ice like him. High praise but I just love watching him play, his vision and feel for the game flat out amazes me.

As much as I liked Quinn, I think Jack Hughes is a tier above as a talent. The way he processes the game just floors me, I have had to ask friends that scout and have things explained at times in terms of yeah he is doing that intentionally to set this up, he is that smart...:laugh:

He makes his wingers a lot better. He makes everyone around him better. It is his best quality and why I love him as a cornerstone franchise piece. We will see, time will tell. But I am pulling for him to be that, I see that upside in him.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Assuming Dach/Hughes/Kakko are the consensus top 3, who does everyone like at 4?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Assuming Dach/Hughes/Kakko are the consensus top 3, who does everyone like at 4?

Would be Cozens for me pretty easily. If Turcotte heats up then he would be the other guy I’d look at.

Bob’s mid-season ranking should be coming out here soon and I would not be all that surprised if Cozens is in the top 3.

One wildcard would be Söderström who is playing pretty well in the SHL... he seems like the typical late season defenseman who jumps up into the top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good luck with him at center in the NHL. He'll be a fantastic winger.

Somebody better tell that to Claude Giroux and Brayden Point. Both guys were smaller than Hughes at this age.

I would break him in on the wing, but he will get a shot to play center in this league at some point. I think he can succeed in the middle. Of course having Marner, Kane, Kucherov isn't exactly the worst thing in the world if he is a winger. I don't think he will be winger. Even if he is I would do what they did with Kariya and have him be the center in the offensive zone and winger in the defensive zone if I am his future team and do decide to deploy him on the wing.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would be Cozens for me pretty easily. If Turcotte heats up then he would be the other guy I’d look at.

Bob’s mid-season ranking should be coming out here soon and I would not be all that surprised if Cozens is in the top 3.

One wildcard would be Söderström who is playing pretty well in the SHL... he seems like the typical late season defenseman who jumps up into the top 10.

I think it helps him that it is a pretty weak defensive year.

I thought Broberg would rise because of that and his athleticism. We will see where it shakes out but I do think these Swedish D-man will rise over the backhalf the season.

I remain high on Broberg, I did just talk to someone in the industry that is low on him similar to some of what @Frk It was getting at. He agreed with my lower end ceiling comparison that there is some Bogosian there in terms of he relies a ton on his athletic ability and might not be that smart... That worries me. If he was anywhere near the Nyquist pick and I think the Wings are actually targeting second and a name prospect instead of the first round pick that would be interesting. Man I would be stunned if a league that has the premium it does on skating now allowed a D-man with his abilities to drop. To me that would be a Fowler sized mistake, but with everyone knowing how important skating is this time...

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Somebody better tell that to Claude Giroux and Brayden Point. Both guys were smaller than Hughes at this age.
Unless Hughes has the same parents as Giroux and Point, I'm not seeing what either of those have to do with Hughes' genetics. It's a conveinant comparable to throw in there to sound credible, but for all anyone knows he may stay the same exact stature he is now.

I would break him in on the wing, but he will get a shot to play center in this league at some point. I think he can succeed in the middle. Of course having Marner, Kane, Kucherov isn't exactly the worst thing in the world if he is a winger. I don't think he will be winger. Even if he is I would do what they did with Kariya and have him be the center in the offensive zone and winger in the defensive zone if I am his future team and do decide to deploy him on the wing.
I could see it down the road, why not give him a chance, too skilled not to, but he is better suited for the wing as it stands. If you want to let him go in the corner in the offensive and defensive zone and get manhandled by men three times his size and lose possession, or have him try to tie up the third man in the slot, go ahead. I'd rather see him freewheel from the wing all game long.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I didn’t realize Dach and Cozens had essentially swapped spots statistically. Pretty exciting to see. I think Cozens might be a better fit Detroit than Dach.

Reactions: wingerdinger

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Lets get Broberg. we need to get #1 defensemen and I like his Last name and we already have 2 Philips , lets have one more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad