Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like them both a lot. I like Cozens better overall as of now, but drafting Dach would be great because he’s such a good passer and playmaker.

That is specifically what I like about him. Especially with a Zadina and Mantha already on the roster. Not sure he will ever be as physical but he is a giant passing guy like Getzlaf and Thornton in that he uses that wing span to create angles and make really intelligent passing plays. An always stay ready for your shooters kind of linemate.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cozens as a 6'3 power center with a scoring touch. Yes plz.

That's our main target.

If team is dead last - it has 18.5% chance for 1st overall.
If team is dead last - it has 49.4% chance for TOP3 pick.
If team is dead last - it has 100% chance for TOP4 pick.

When Hughes and Kakko seems to be consensus 1-2 picks, the question comes at 3rd pick. Do we win it, are we dead last or 2nd last. Cozens is gonna go at 3-4-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
That is specifically what I like about him. Especially with a Zadina and Mantha already on the roster. Not sure he will ever be as physical but he is a giant passing guy like Getzlaf and Thornton in that he uses that wing span to create angles and make really intelligent passing plays. An always stay ready for your shooters kind of linemate.

I like Dach a lot and think he will be in many draft conversations between now and draft day. I have a slight preference for Cozens but don't fault you for preferring Kirby. My very small issue with Dach is that he seems to get pushed (or gravitates) to the perimeter more than I prefer. He is an excellent passer, but he frequently puts himself in positions where passing is his only option. You can't, however, deny the skill, mobility and size.

I also admit that there is a ton of development time between now and draft day and it is very foolish to get wed to one prospect over another at this point.

Reactions: Henkka
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
When I watch Hughes, I can't help but see a guy in the Gaudeau/Kane mold. A bunch of times in that clip, he gets pushed to the perimeter. And that's fine for him now, because he's an unreal playmaker who at that level can pick apart a defense from anywhere on the ice. It's a similar "problem" to Pettersson, who might not project as a center, ultimately. Both of those guys just seem like long shots to develop the physical ability to handle themselves against somebody like Alex Barkov or Anze Kopitar.

I'm especially thinking of the kind of thing people say about Quinn Hughes. Nobody is saying Quinn Hughes is going to get much bigger or more capable of handling huge NHL forwards. What they say is that Quinn Hughes is skilled enough that he doesn't need to do that stuff to have value. I think we should see Jack Hughes the same way. But that might mean admitting he's a winger in the long run.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
When I watch Hughes, I can't help but see a guy in the Gaudeau/Kane mold. A bunch of times in that clip, he gets pushed to the perimeter. And that's fine for him now, because he's an unreal playmaker who at that level can pick apart a defense from anywhere on the ice. It's a similar "problem" to Pettersson, who might not project as a center, ultimately. Both of those guys just seem like long shots to develop the physical ability to handle themselves against somebody like Alex Barkov or Anze Kopitar.

I'm especially thinking of the kind of thing people say about Quinn Hughes. Nobody is saying Quinn Hughes is going to get much bigger or more capable of handling huge NHL forwards. What they say is that Quinn Hughes is skilled enough that he doesn't need to do that stuff to have value. I think we should see Jack Hughes the same way. But that might mean admitting he's a winger in the long run.

So what is the Mendoza line here with respect to projecting centers? 6'0", 6'1"?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So what is the Mendoza line here with respect to projecting centers? 6'0", 6'1"?
I think these days it's more weight than height, or a combination of the two. Like Pettersson has an uncertain future at center, and he's 6'2, and it's because he's a string bean with little physical element to him. And on the other hand if you've got a guy like Jake Wise, it's conceivable because he's a wide, strong kid even though he's only 5'10.

Hughes is an iffy center because not only is he short, but he's also really light. Center these days is pretty physically demanding. Maybe he can improve, but he's got a lot of improvement ahead of him to even be NHL average.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think these days it's more weight than height, or a combination of the two. Like Pettersson has an uncertain future at center, and he's 6'2, and it's because he's a string bean with little physical element to him. And on the other hand if you've got a guy like Jake Wise, it's conceivable because he's a wide, strong kid even though he's only 5'10.

Hughes is an iffy center because not only is he short, but he's also really light. Center these days is pretty physically demanding. Maybe he can improve, but he's got a lot of improvement ahead of him to even be NHL average.
Simple. If Detroit is lucky enough to draft Hughes, they just point at Jimmy Howard and tell the kid, "Eat whatever he eats, and you'll be 200 pounds in no time."

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hughes belongs in the conversation with other overwhelming #1 picks. Think Matthews, McDavid and that group. That is his talent level. Looking for him and how he stacks up against others is somewhat useful until you remember the company he is keeping as a player that age. He does play center to date and he excels. He is going to shatter Matthews, Kane, Eichel and Kessel's USMNTDP records. That isn't a mistake and he is doing it as a center. I am not sure where the wing talk comes from to be honest. You don't have to be humongous if you're smarter than the other guys on the ice... Hughes is smarter than the other guys on the ice and he will be next year when he is playing center in the NHL as well.

I expect him to be around 180 for the draft a part of the reason he stuck with the development program instead of college was the controlled workouts and longer season without NCAA coaching limitations in my opinion.

I get easing him in on the wing, but Jack Hughes is going to be a center and a franchise player in this league. He is a top 10 player in the league for a decade plus, the puck follows him around in a way that is unbelievable. Need to trade Helm this off-season win the lottery and give Jack his number!:thumbu:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hughes belongs in the conversation with other overwhelming #1 picks. Think Matthews, McDavid and that group. That is his talent level. Looking for him and how he stacks up against others is somewhat useful until you remember the company he is keeping as a player that age. He does play center to date and he excels. He is going to shatter Matthews, Kane, Eichel and Kessel's USMNTDP records. That isn't a mistake and he is doing it as a center. I am not sure where the wing talk comes from to be honest. You don't have to be humongous if you're smarter than the other guys on the ice... Hughes is smarter than the other guys on the ice and he will be next year when he is playing center in the NHL as well.

I expect him to be around 180 for the draft a part of the reason he stuck with the development program instead of college was the controlled workouts and longer season without NCAA coaching limitations in my opinion.

I get easing him in on the wing, but Jack Hughes is going to be a center and a franchise player in this league. He is a top 10 player in the league for a decade plus, the puck follows him around in a way that is unbelievable. Need to trade Helm this off-season win the lottery and give Jack his number!:thumbu:

Everything you said was true for Kane and he still ended up on the wing.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Everything you said was true for Kane and he still ended up on the wing.

I don't think Kane is as good as Hughes... Yes I said it and I really mean that.

Now Kane shifted to the wing and back and forth for significant chunks of his junior career. He also entered a different league in my opinion as well. I just see no reason Hughes isn't going to be a center at the NHL level. He needs to put on some weight, but he can survive at his height and 180. Keep in mind Jim Nill admitted Zetterberg's actually weight was around 170, Giroux is around this small. Plenty of guys have done it and Hughes is a lot better than Patrick Kane was defensively, heck he is better now defensively than Kane was in his second or third year in Chicago. Point in Tampa is a shrimp, how about Johnson burning Datsyuk's house to the ground for a series. I think smaller guys being centers is feasible, especially with the best small center I have seen entering the discussion. He is a better skater than all the guys we just listed and they are franchise players and NHL all-stars. I hope the Wings get him and play him at center, I will go bananas if they don't and with a longer trial than Patty Kane's experiment down the middle.

Keep in mind Kane was tried at center briefly by the Hawks, they just abandoned the experiment. I am not sure he couldn't have converted, he was shockingly bad at faceoffs if I remember right. I don't remember him being a center every night in London either...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think Kane is as good as Hughes... Yes I said it and I really mean that.

Now Kane shifted to the wing and back and forth for significant chunks of his junior career. He also entered a different league in my opinion as well. I just see no reason Hughes isn't going to be a center at the NHL level. He needs to put on some weight, but he can survive at his height and 180. Keep in mind Jim Nill admitted Zetterberg's actually weight was around 170, Giroux is around this small. Plenty of guys have done it and Hughes is a lot better than Patrick Kane was defensively, heck he is better now defensively than Kane was in his second or third year in Chicago. Point in Tampa is a shrimp, how about Johnson burning Datsyuk's house to the ground for a series. I think smaller guys being centers is feasible, especially with the best small center I have seen entering the discussion. He is a better skater than all the guys we just listed and they are franchise players and NHL all-stars. I hope the Wings get him and play him at center, I will go bananas if they don't and with a longer trial than Patty Kane's experiment down the middle.

Keep in mind Kane was tried at center briefly by the Hawks, they just abandoned the experiment. I am not sure he couldn't have converted, he was shockingly bad at faceoffs if I remember right. I don't remember him being a center every night in London either...

At the same age I think Hughes has an advantage... I agree there and don’t think it’s crazy to say that.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, I just think wing is more likely than center personally.

It’s a very small group of guys that legitimately play center at a high level under 185 lbs, and him and his brothers are said to be on the thin side. I’m all in on his skill and vision, I just almost feel like he would be better attacking on the wing as well.

We will see, I think he is a tremendous talent regardless.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Is it even relevant that Hughes may project better at wing? If we landed the number one pick, would people really pass on him?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
My early ideal draft:

1st: Dach(wouldn't mind Cozens)
2nd: Vukojevic
2nd: Knight
3rd: Rasanen
4th: Primeau
5th: Lundmark
5th: Keppan
5th: T. Pelletier
6th: Popovic
7th: J. Caulfield

Others posters suggestions, complaints, and critiques are welcome.

Rather not have this list be over the 1st pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad