Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft Talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You don’t think a GM with direct access to other GM’s has a better idea of where players will go as opposed to mock drafts or rankings from public scouting services?

Not sure I even buy this rumor, but I could very easily see NHL teams liking these 2 players more than you are suggesting based on the info we all have available.

I mean 20 was probably underselling their value, but we have a lot of players who are supposedly top 10 picks, approximately 15. But I still think if your hellbent on picking one of those players, the play is to take your forward at #6 and then wait to see if you can potentially get Soderstrom or Seider at #15.

Edit: basically, if you think it’s more important to get Soderstrom or Seider at #10 range than it is to get a center at #6, then you should be picking that defenseman at #6. If it’s a convenient to do, sure, but I fear that seeking a trade down will lead to a poor return.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Exactly, and if we're really wanting a potential game breaker on defense, I don't see the logic in reaching for a RHD and not just taking Broberg at 6. Maybe we are really high on Seider, but like you said, why not trade some assets to move up from 35 into the 20's or late teens? Grabbing two potential elite players at 6 and say 21 is much better than moving back and grabbing an extra 2nd rounder in the process.

I mean the most logical answer is probably the right one here.

We did our due diligence, talked to other teams, and 10 is the spot to move to ensure getting one of Soderstrom/Seider guys while maximizing value and getting another asset.

Don’t assume the consensus is the consensus, people.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean 20 was probably underselling their value, but we have a lot of players who are supposedly top 10 picks, approximately 15. But I still think if your hellbent on picking one of those players, the play is to take your forward at #6 and then wait to see if you can potentially get Soderstrom or Seider at #15.

How many teams in the 10-20 range have additional picks that would make trading back and picking up an asset make sense? That’s a huge part of it too, and it limits your options.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
How many teams in the 10-20 range have additional picks that would make trading back and picking up an asset make sense? That’s a huge part of it too, and it limits your options.

Understood. I edited my previous post to kind of explain my reasoning. Not to say it’s the right reasoning.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Understood. I edited my previous post to kind of explain my reasoning. Not to say it’s the right reasoning.

All good. Custance said a few days ago Yzerman has been set on staying put. Maybe something changed, but I’m more inclined to believe him when it comes to the Wings over anyone else.

I am still pretty convinced we stay at #6. Shaping be a very interesting draft night. So much of this is fluid and could change how things play out.

Reactions: hkydave04

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
I mean the most logical answer is probably the right one here.

We did our due diligence, talked to other teams, and 10 is the spot to move to ensure getting one of Soderstrom/Seider guys while maximizing value and getting another asset.

Don’t assume the consensus is the consensus, people.
If we think Soderstrom/Seider is BPA than sure, I hope they're right. However, the cluster of D after Byram seems to be ranked pretty similarly, I'd much rather grab an elite asset at 6 and wait to see how the draft plays out.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we draft Seider I’ll try to convince myself he’s the German version of Miro Heiskanen... or German version of Noah Dobson? Idk, I’ll have to work on that.

All I’ve heard about with Soderstrom is how he’s insanely smart, and that is one of the things I like the most when it comes to defenseman.

Trying to keep an open mind with this draft... but ideally I’d like to stay put at #6.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
None of the teams lower than us have multiple first round picks. I ain't trading #6OA just because I don't want to reach for a player and trade down for another 2nd round pick. That's some Holland shit. Take BPA

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If we draft Seider I’ll try to convince myself he’s the German version of Miro Heiskanen... or German version of Noah Dobson? Idk, I’ll have to work on that.

All I’ve heard about with Soderstrom is how he’s insanely smart, and that is one of the things I like the most when it comes to defenseman.

Trying to keep an open mind with this draft... but ideally I’d like to stay put at #6.
I honestly haven't watched a ton of either, but they both seem really smart to me. I think that's their best quality. Neither strikes me as having particularly high offensive upside though and I really think we need that. It's also worth noting that Yzerman generally targets big defenseman that skate well. Seider really fits the mold for me of an Yzerman D.

Reactions: hkydave04

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I could talk myself into Seider pretty fast in all honesty. He actually shares a lot with Broberg in terms of a very gifted skater while being physically impressive. He is armed with a very heavy shot that seems to get through a lot. To put another way I would be more excited to draft Seider at #6 than Zegras who a decent amount of our board wants in that spot.

Soderstrom is smart, but I don't see him as extremely dynamic. I have him in the 20s so yeah that pick wouldn't enthuse me a whole lot in a trade down. Of course they could be trading down with the Ducks or something, just because they have talked to Vancouver doesn't mean it is them alone in the conversation. Still a mere few days ago Yzerman had talked to nobody about it. I mean I guess things are heating up and I realize a lot can change in the league hour to hour right now. But I have doubts on this rumor, I think we pick at #6.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I could talk myself into Seider pretty fast in all honesty. He actually shares a lot with Broberg in terms of a very gifted skater while being physically impressive. He is armed with a very heavy shot that seems to get through a lot. To put another way I would be more excited to draft Seider at #6 than Zegras who a decent amount of our board wants in that spot.

Soderstrom is smart, but I don't see him as extremely dynamic. I have him in the 20s so yeah that pick wouldn't enthuse me a whole lot in a trade down. Of course they could be trading down with the Ducks or something, just because they have talked to Vancouver doesn't mean it is them alone in the conversation. Still a mere few days ago Yzerman had talked to nobody about it. I mean I guess things are heating up and I realize a lot can change in the league hour to hour right now. But I have doubts on this rumor, I think we pick at #6.

I think we are most likely to stay where we are too. If we were to move back for anyone, my guess is it would be for Podkolzin and not a defenseman.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think we are most likely to stay where we are too. If we were to move back for anyone, my guess is it would be for Podkolzin and not a defenseman.

I think the trade back would be with the intent of taking a defenseman, but if/when Podkolzin is still available, they would take him. Like Zadina last year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Man that's an awesome article. I noticed that Dach seems to strip the puck well, but he apparently does so incredibly well. My order has been Dach then Cozens/Krebs flipping all year. After seeing his analysis of Krebs playmaking I was beginning to think "hmm maybe I've underrated Krebs that way and I should consider bumping him above Dach. They were already close and I had Dach as the clear edge in passing" and then I got to the NZ defense section and "nope I was right to like Dach more, stick to it."

If the defensive game of Dach is that strong, there’s no way he’s not super high on our board.

That coupled with his size and playmaking is exact what Tyler Wright and Kris Draper covet in a prospect.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
All good. Custance said a few days ago Yzerman has been set on staying put. Maybe something changed, but I’m more inclined to believe him when it comes to the Wings over anyone else.

I am still pretty convinced we stay at #6. Shaping be a very interesting draft night. So much of this is fluid and could change how things play out.

if it is true you think maybe it's a panic move of sorts? like maybe he was hoping for Karlsson/Trouba and now that they're both off the market he's feeling way more inclined to draft a defenseman?

I feel like in that case i'd rather try and trade up with Colorado and get Byram if the rumors about them wanting a forward have any truth to them though

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't understand what you just say.

Yzerman thinks "x" prospect is BPA, a team calls asking to trade up and take "y" prospect. The wings get an extra asset and still have what they consider the BPA on the board potentially

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Yzerman thinks "x" prospect is BPA, a team calls asking to trade up and take "y" prospect. The wings get an extra asset and still have what they consider the BPA on the board potentially
Ok, thanks. Yes that would be ideal for us.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I have zero interest in seeing Yzerman go all "smartest guy in the room" right off the bat, and trade down to 10 or lower, picking up a good player while passing on several more highly regarded ones.

If there's a reasonable move to be made for Byram, cool. Otherwise, stay put at 6 and take a center.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

I do not see Broberg or Soderstrom ever developing to be as solid in the defensive zone as I believe that Seider will; the question is, can Seider develop a more offensive aspect to his game? I believe he can. As you said, he skates very well, he's a smart and talented player and he has a really heavy shot. I thought that he and Draisaitl were the primary standouts on Germany's PP during the Worlds. I believe that Seider got little PP time on his DEL team and he suffered injuries so his very low point totals in a men's league (6 I believe) is hardly a true representation of what offensive instincts and skills he might possess.
I'm very high on Seider, I have been fully on board with "reaching" for him at 6, so if these rumors are more than just rumors and if Seider is indeed the target, I am fully on board. If we end up with Sorderstrom or Broberg I'll be disappointed that it wasn't "my guy," but I think those are two good D prospects and several sharp hockey minds on this site have already gotten behind Broberg and see some true 1D potential, so I'd be fine with that move as well - especially as it comes with another asset for the team.

I am slightly higher on Soderstrom than Broberg, but, I have a brother who is pumping Soderstrom's tires so I've heard more word-of-mouth info on Soderstrom than on Broberg. What I like about both of them is their smarts and their skating. I think both Broberg and Soderstrom will make very good PP quarterbacks who are great on zone entries (something our PP needs) - what makes me prefer Sods to Brobs are his outlet passes, I think that is the one place where he sets himself apart, but, again, this is just my opinion and it is based on minimal exposure to Broberg. If I've read these two incorrectly or if anyone would like to share their own comparisons of the three, I'd love to hear and learn a little more. I always say that I learn more about prospects from you people than I do from any other resource.

As you say in closing, there are obviously doubts about something like this coming to pass. Most draft day trades come out of the blue; for a team to allow something like this out of the bag days before the draft just seems sloppy to me. But, again, it's nice to hear for a guy who wants us to grab Seider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad