Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft Talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If this were Holland trading back I'd be so annoyed, but since we're in the honeymoon phase, I'm still doe-eyed and smitten with having Yzerman here that I'm on board for whatever for a while.

I know I predicted something like this in the other thread, but the most likely outcome is that we simply stay at 6 and make the pick. I think this is nothing more than Steve signaling to other teams that hey, if things break a certain way on Friday, we may be willing to move down if you are looking to move up. Our decision will be dictated by who is on the board when we are on the clock. Whether anyone wants to admit this or not, this is not we are moving back come hell or high water, regardless of the return. I am also sure that we aren't the only team doing this in the top 10. The smart move is to leave as many doors open as possible if you are in the captain's chair. Because of the parity, I am also not sure we will see a ton coming back our way in any trade-down deal.

This draft has a ton of parity in the top 10. We have all been looking at lists for the last month and it is really skewing the thinking of many. The difference between 3 and 10 is almost nonexistent. Now does Seider standing alone warrant a top ten pick? I think different people are going to reach different conclusions on that. It is ultimately a draft of 18-year-olds and requires a shit ton of subjective projection. I would feel better about Seider at 10 ish if the pundits thought he had more obvious offensive upside. Again, I have only watched 20 minutes of his play this year and honestly can't speak to where his offensive game is really at.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Still you can get very good player at 40 ,but you are not going to get elite playmaker at 10 , I mean Dach or Zegras

Dach and Zegras are very good, not elite. People get unrealistic expectations by expecting elite from the 6th pick. I could easily see one of those two being around at 10, especially if some teams love Caufield and Pods.

Reactions: Winger98

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm happy we're only a day away. The more I deep dive into each possible choice, the more difficult it is becoming for me to know how to feel. I liked it better when I had a surface level understanding and was confident in my hot takes. Nuance really ruins my ability to dispense the spice.

And while I do subscribe to the idea that a good player will be available at #6, I also subscribe to the idea that if you're only selecting a good player, and not the best possible player, that means other teams are going to maintain pace or pull ahead of you. It's not enough to draft a top 10 talent. It has to be a better top 10 talent than the other teams picking around you.

I keep lamenting on this, but picking at #4 would make a world of difference right now. I think that's sort of the magic spot for the Wings getting their top choice (outside of Hughes) and not moving down their board to option 3 or 4.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For what it's worth, my buddy in Chicago said the speculation is that the Blackhawks are starting to settle on Byram.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
For what it's worth, my buddy in Chicago said the speculation is that the Blackhawks are starting to settle on Byram.

This is what I've been saying the whole time. Forget LA, Chicago isn't going to pass on the best defender of the draft. Sure, they have drafted plenty of D lately but... so? They'll have a fat and happy blueline and living the dream.

And with Byram off the board, I feel like LA is going to snipe our top center choice. A perfect storm of me continuing to hate our draft position this year.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is what I've been saying the whole time. Forget LA, Chicago isn't going to pass on the best defender of the draft. Sure, they have drafted plenty of D lately but... so? They'll have a fat and happy blueline and living the dream.

And with Byram off the board, I feel like LA is going to snipe our top center choice. A perfect storm of me continuing to hate our draft position this year.

See Chicago taking Byram; rumor has been for a while that Colorado wants to add a center, so Turcotte is the easy choice; then LA is going to take a center. I see them preferring the two bigger WHL centers, either Dach or Cozens to fit the Western Conference style of play. I think Dach is more likely.

So you get Cozens or Zegras of the commonly used names. Podkolzin on the wing. Broberg on D as the consensus next best D. Any number of "off the board" picks. Or the trade option.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
See Chicago taking Byram; rumor has been for a while that Colorado wants to add a center, so Turcotte is the easy choice; then LA is going to take a center. I see them preferring the two bigger WHL centers, either Dach or Cozens to fit the Western Conference style of play. I think Dach is more likely.

So you get Cozens or Zegras of the commonly used names. Podkolzin on the wing. Broberg on D as the consensus next best D. Any number of "off the board" picks. Or the trade option.

Agreed completely. This is how I see it going down. And while any of Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, or Broberg are fine choices... I don't love them like I love Byram or Dach. But of that grouping, I go all in on Broberg.

Reactions: hkydave04

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Agreed completely. This is how I see it going down. And while any of Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, or Broberg are fine choices... I don't love them like I love Byram or Dach. But of that grouping, I go all in on Broberg.

Cozens: I bet you if my name was Bowen you'd love me, Bench. :eek:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

take it easy

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
FWIW I live in Chicago and am hearing Turcotte over and over - from actual publications. But a lot of that is just home town bias.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

You and @The Zetterberg Era

images

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Not a dig on the city. Just on being surrounded by Hawks fans
Oh yea, Bears fans and Hawks fans are major ****s. It probably goes for many fan bases, but everything with them is either the blackest black or the whitest white, either their players are the best in the world or the worst in the world. They have one successful NFC north season and they're the best team in the world and every other team in the North has no shot.
But I am a Cubs fan so I guess I can get lumped in with the rest of these jamokes.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
If Byram and Dach are taken, I want them to trade down and get Seider and maybe another 2nd round pick, choosing Heinola. That gets us more defenders (I see both of them becoming potential 1st liners)

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Oh yea, Bears fans and Hawks fans are major ****s. It probably goes for many fan bases, but everything with them is either the blackest black or the whitest white, either their players are the best in the world or the worst in the world. They have one successful NFC north season and they're the best team in the world and every other team in the North has no shot.
But I am a Cubs fan so I guess I can get lumped in with the rest of these jamokes.

"Jamokes"?

You used that word "Jabroni" It's awesome!

Reactions: waltdetroit

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hmm I've been kicking around a trade scenario in my head. Assuming Chicago goes Tucotte, how would you guys feel about 6 + AA +35 for 4 + 16 from the Avs? I think we could sell Colorado on getting one of their C choices at 6. We get Byram. Then at 16 we can double dip on D with Seider/Soderstrom, take the best forward available, or go Spencer Knight if we feel the hype is justified. I think Colorado could be interested in AA because they have cap space for his next contract and they're looking to add secondary scoring. With 6 and 35 they get two solid prospects, at 6, 66% chance theythey get the C they wanted anyway.

Edit: I know losing AA would hurt our offense and not using 6 on a C compounds that, but imagine walking away with a potential top pairing in Byram-Seider from one draft alone. The Cholo-Hronek, with McIsaac and Lindstrom as insurance in acse someone doesn't turn out. I'd feel pretty good about our defense going forward.

Personally I'm starting to worry about AA's next contract. I don't see him playing ball and I don't think Yzerman will tolerate that. And I think we can take the hit to our W depth. Especially because we'd be getting younger at the same time

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric Eric

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
If Byram and Dach are taken, I want them to trade down and get Seider and maybe another 2nd round pick, choosing Heinola. That gets us more defenders (I see both of them becoming potential 1st liners)

One of Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Zegras, or Cozens will be available at #6, these are all great players with high end potential, would rather draft one of them and trade our second rounders to get into the late 1st round to grab a dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad