Pre-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Pt. V: Got your ticket? (Mod note in pinned post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Krebs was maybe a borderline candidate at our pick before his injury ... but with a torn Achilles there is no way in hell he should go in the top 15.

You realize this isn’t the NFL draft right? Most of these players are two years away from playing in the NHL. If the medical staff is confident that there won’t be any long term health concerns I would take him at 10 if he’s the BPA.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Benning is clearly playing mind games with Buffalo and Edmonton to ensure "his" guy is available at 10. Am I kidding? I don't even know anymore.

Oilers fan here. Over at the Oilers board we think (more like we hope) that all the Broberg talk is a trick by Holland, so that the Canucks/Ducks trade up to get him, letting one of the forwards he likes fall to #8.

We don't want Broberg at all, and I'll honestly feel bad for you guys if you trade up and pick him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You realize this isn’t the NFL draft right? Most of these players are two years away from playing in the NHL. If the medical staff is confident that there won’t be any long term health concerns I would take him at 10 if he’s the BPA.

He’s going to have a whole offseason lost and a development season completely sidetracked. Losing that time absolutely has an impact and puts him behind the 8-ball relative to his peers.

Plus you have no idea what an injury like that might do to his skating.

Look at Virtanen as an example of a guy completely sidetracked by a pre-draft injury. Has never shown the same shot since.

Even if you had a healthy Krebs slightly ahead of a healthy Newhook (as an example), it would be idiotic to take the broken player.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Do not draft Krebs at 10th.

I repeat: do NOT draft Krebs at 10th.

We should not be drafting players with high picks who suffer major injuries in their draft years. Almost every time it happens, the player loses a major year of development and they come out worse for it.

The only exception would be if he is somehow available in the late first/early second. Then you trade up to get him.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Assuming that Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Turcotte are all gone top 5, and we wont be able to trade up.

Prospects I would like to see the Canucks take at 10 if available:
Trevor Zegras (love the high end hockey sense and playmaking)
Cole Caufield (elite production, positioning and shot)
Matthew Boldy (good hockey sense and playmaking, think he was underrated not being in the top 5 of USNTDP)

Prospects that are just meh to me (wouldn't be upset with Canucks drafting them):
Kirby Dach (skills are there but doesn't seem to produce at the level he should be)
Dylan Cozens (still needs to work on his puck handling / skills to make it)
Peyton Krebs (worrisome injury but high end skill)

Prospects I would not want to see the Canucks draft:
Alex Newhook (BCHL domination has not translated to production in NHL yet)
Philip Broberg (reminds me of a Virtanen of dmen)
Vasili Podkolzin (would he even come to NHL)

Hopefully all the US scouting successes will result in us taking one of the USNTDP players, although there is that small fear that you take the guy that was the passenger of the other players.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Instead of trading up to 6, I'd look to trade up to the early-20's from 40.

After doing a bit of research, I'm convinced that we're going to look back and think that Kaliyev or Brink should've been obvious picks in the mid-first round and wondering why so many teams passed on them.

Similarly, on defense, I think a guy like Harley will fall to that spot but has pretty decent upside.

If we stay at 40, I'd like Brayden Tracey from Moose Jaw. Not sure why Krebs is a supposed top-10 pick, but Tracey is a projected second rounder. The Athletic just did a write up on him, I'm biased by it for sure, but seems like he should be a low first rounder that's getting slept on for whatever reason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

After doing a bit of research, I'm convinced that we're going to look back and think that Kaliyev or Brink should've been obvious picks in the mid-first round and wondering why so many teams passed on them.

Similarly, on defense, I think a guy like Harley will fall to that spot but has pretty decent upside.

If we stay at 40, I'd like Brayden Tracey from Moose Jaw. Not sure why Krebs is a supposed top-10 pick, but Tracey is a projected second rounder. The Athletic just did a write up on him, I'm biased by it for sure, but seems like he should be a low first rounder that's getting slept on for whatever reason.

I wouldn’t take Tracey in the first 3 rounds. He’s a vanilla typical junior ‘hands’ guy with no projectable skills who has inflated numbers due to playing the whole season as the third wheel on an elite line. Small and slow.

Reactions: 420Canuck

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

If we are trading up from 40 I would want it to be for Seider- Button was on 1040 yesterday saying he'd be a perfect partner for Hughes and sees a lot of Carlo's game in him. Would be shocked if he's not gone top 15 though.

Reactions: lindgren

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He’s going to have a whole offseason lost and a development season completely sidetracked. Losing that time absolutely has an impact and puts him behind the 8-ball relative to his peers.

Plus you have no idea what an injury like that might do to his skating.

Look at Virtanen as an example of a guy completely sidetracked by a pre-draft injury. Has never shown the same shot since.

Even if you had a healthy Krebs slightly ahead of a healthy Newhook (as an example), it would be idiotic to take the broken player.
Jake's shown the same shot, he's just not shooting on junior goalies and the NHL is much harder to find the space neccessary to let it go.

Jake isn't not scoring because his shots gone, it's because he has no hockey sense.

Reactions: Nomobo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jake's shown the same shot, he's just not shooting on junior goalies and the NHL is much harder to find the space neccessary to let it go.

Jake isn't not scoring because his shots gone, it's because he has no hockey sense.

Virtanen scored 46 goals in his draft year because he had a laser that could beat goalies clean from 35 feet and projected to do so moving up levels.

That shot has never appeared again - not in the WHL the following year, at the WJCs, in Utica, or in Vancouver.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Virtanen scored 46 goals in his draft year because he had a laser that could beat goalies clean from 35 feet and projected to do so moving up levels.

That shot has never appeared again - not in the WHL the following year, at the WJCs, in Utica, or in Vancouver.
The release looks the same, the puck still jumps off his stick. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: Bubbles

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
If we are trading up from 40 I would want it to be for Seider- Button was on 1040 yesterday saying he'd be a perfect partner for Hughes and sees a lot of Carlo's game in him. Would be shocked if he's not gone top 15 though.

Seider would've been awesome when it looked like he could've been available at 40, but I think he's going top-20 if not top-15.

We should be trying to trade up hard from pick #40 to the late teens or early 20s. Bobby Brink has Brock Boeser written all over him

Yeah. Similarly, I think Kaliyev is this year's Anthony Mantha. That scoring profile seems ridiculous to ignore, and he doesn't have the same size concerns as Caufield, nor will he cost a top-12 pick. Think there's high potential value there.

I wouldn’t take Tracey in the first 3 rounds. He’s a vanilla typical junior ‘hands’ guy with no projectable skills who has inflated numbers due to playing the whole season as the third wheel on an elite line. Small and slow.

Ah, okay, that seems like a fair assessment. Never heard of his linemates so didn't think too much of it; didn't realize they each had a 110+ points.

Was just looking at WHL numbers and figured it may be another case of scouts heavily favoring a guy with a motor (Krebs) vs the guy "quietly" putting up more points.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
More random draft thoughts: was reading a piece on the Raptors drafting philosophy, and how as their sport has evolved into shooting, shooting, shooting, they've really honed their scouting strategy in on defensively capable players with high work ethics, figuring that shooting can be taught and practiced. That thought process seems like it may have beared out to be a huge, underrated aspect of what got them a championship.

It has me thinking; is skating to hockey right now what shooting is to basketball? We've seen with players like Horvat (possibly as an exception to the rule, but proving that it's not an impossibility) that skating can be improved. However, there is an undeniable premium on players that can really skate. We're going to look back 10 years from now and reflect on Matt Bartkowski and Derrick Pouliot having jobs for as long as they did because of their skating the same way we look back at the useless monster defensive defensemen of the 90s.

So what is that underrated skill? I think as the league keeps moving towards faster skating players, it's likely going to be passing ability. That definitely makes a player like Zegras more appealing to me than he was before.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seider would've been awesome when it looked like he could've been available at 40, but I think he's going top-20 if not top-15.

Yeah. Similarly, I think Kaliyev is this year's Anthony Mantha. That scoring profile seems ridiculous to ignore, and he doesn't have the same size concerns as Caufield, nor will he cost a top-12 pick. Think there's high potential value there.

Ah, okay, that seems like a fair assessment. Never heard of his linemates so didn't think too much of it; didn't realize they each had a 110+ points.

Was just looking at WHL numbers and figured it may be another case of scouts heavily favoring a guy with a motor (Krebs) vs the guy "quietly" putting up more points.

Tracey basically had a dream situation fall into his lap as he ended up on the best line in the WHL as a rookie. 81 points looks impressive until you realize he played all year with the #2 and #3 scorers in the league who both cleared him by 30 points.

He has nice hands so he picked up some points with those guys. But he’s small, slow, doesn’t have a projectable shot, and doesn’t have a motor or any intangibles that give bottom-6 flexibility.

If he’d been on almost any other team, he scores 40 points from a 2nd line and he’s lucky to be a 7th rounder. The other 4 guys in Moose Jaw’s big 5 are all gone and I expect he’ll see a big production drop next year.

Conversely, a guy like Sasha Mutala who is just an-around more projectable guy scored a ‘disappointing’ 41 points last year but it was basically all at ES from a 2nd/3rd line. I have him as a better prospect and a decent option in the 3rd round and he’s a guy I expect will break out next year.

Agreed on Kaliyev. Every year there’s one guy the scouts over-pick on for being lazy and this year this is the guy.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

How do you feel about Kaliyev and his 51 goals in the OHL?

I have him as my "10th best player" in the draft. EDIT: NM I see the response right above lol

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Do not draft Krebs at 10th.

I repeat: do NOT draft Krebs at 10th.

We should not be drafting players with high picks who suffer major injuries in their draft years. Almost every time it happens, the player loses a major year of development and they come out worse for it.

The only exception would be if he is somehow available in the late first/early second. Then you trade up to get him.
yes good thing the Islanders took Reinhart instead of Reilly?

In all seriousness it depends on the feedback from the doctors. It was obviously a freak accident not a case of his body mechanics having issues so i wouldn't really put too much stalk in it unless the reports are that he has a good chance at recurrance of deficits.

MS and yourself have a point though. There is a development window we all go through from 17-23 where we can make substantial leaps in our muscle and athletic performance. Losing some of that is never a good thing and has to be weighted

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Tracey basically had a dream situation fall into his lap as he ended up on the best line in the WHL as a rookie. 81 points looks impressive until you realize he played all year with the #2 and #3 scorers in the league who both cleared him by 30 points.

He has nice hands so he picked up some points with those guys. But he’s small, slow, doesn’t have a projectable shot, and doesn’t have a motor or any intangibles that give bottom-6 flexibility.

If he’d been on almost any other team, he scores 40 points from a 2nd line and he’s lucky to be a 7th rounder. The other 4 guys in Moose Jaw’s big 5 are all gone and I expect he’ll see a big production drop next year.

Conversely, a guy like Sasha Mutala who is just an-around more projectable guy scored a ‘disappointing’ 41 points last year but it was basically all at ES from a 2nd/3rd line. I have him as a better prospect and a decent option in the 3rd round and he’s a guy I expect will break out next year.

Agreed on Kaliyev. Every year there’s one guy the scouts over-pick on for being lazy and this year this is the guy.

I think Tracey's hockey sense and poise are excellent, there's a reason he played with those guys and also looked good at the U18s. One of those guys who always seems to be in the right spots and makes a good play. I actually except him to blossom next year with more speed and strength. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't go in the first 2 rounds.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Re Virtanen

I believe he was effected negatively. Took him a while to get the willingness and he seems to set up less as a shooter from his off wing

Seems like he's never recovered the accuracy and confidence with it because he doesnt have the same amount of time he had in junior. Don't think it helped he seems content on not being a go to guy as things seem to sour when he does. He's become far more comfotable not having that kind of pressure which is too bad

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Hey gang, what time is the draft expected to end on Saturday? Just trying to figure out if it's worth taking the day trip over from the island. Also sorry if this has already been discussed already, didn't have time to search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad