Pre-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Pt. V: Got your ticket? (Mod note in pinned post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Tracey seems like one of those tweener guys like Linden Vey that are really good in junior hockey but just dont have a seperating quality to be much of an NHLer.

I never thought that highly of him in terms of top2 rounds for the NHL but he has a nice rounded skillset that i feel could see him comparable to a Danton Heinen if he fills out and progresses well.

3rd and 4th round i would consider it if Brackett likes him.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Re Virtanen

I believe he was effected negatively. Took him a while to get the willingness and he seems to set up less as a shooter from his off wing

Seems like he's never recovered the accuracy and confidence with it because he doesnt have the same amount of time he had in junior. Don't think it helped he seems content on not being a go to guy as things seem to sour when he does. He's become far more comfotable not having that kind of pressure which is too bad
His confidence (which is the difference between him being a difference maker and a perimeter guy) has been absolutely f***ing decimated by his development with the Canucks. His shoulder is ruined and it took his finish with him, but with confidence he could at least be an effective agitating winger, which he did quite well as a rookie. You watch highlights of his draft year and the combination of confidence and scoring touch, he could have been a 20-25 goal power winger even dumb as rocks with the right person setting him up. Nowadays we're lucky if he brings a power game with him on 50% of his shifts on any given night.

I think it was Burke who was saying that Green doesn't know what player he's getting with Jake any time he taps him on the shoulder, if it will be a physical presence or someone trying to play a skill game. Jake needs to figure that out for himself, because clearly noone is able to decide for him.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think Tracey's hockey sense and poise are excellent, there's a reason he played with those guys and also looked good at the U18s. One of those guys who always seems to be in the right spots and makes a good play. I actually except him to blossom next year with more speed and strength. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't go in the first 2 rounds.

Absolutely he has good hockey sense to go with his nice hands. And nothing else.

As someone who has followed the WHL pretty closely for a couple decades, you see a guy or two like this every year and they pretty much never make it.

There’s no way his production goes up next year. Moose Jaw are going to be one of the worst teams in the WHL and he’s going to be in a terrible developmental situation.

Reactions: F A N

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Absolutely he has good hockey sense to go with his nice hands. And nothing else.

As someone who has followed the WHL pretty closely for a couple decades, you see a guy or two like this every year and they pretty much never make it.

There’s no way his production goes up next year. Moose Jaw are going to be one of the worst teams in the WHL and he’s going to be in a terrible developmental situation.
i dont think it matters that much. He's 2 more years without a doubt and could easily be traded and will likely get a long look for the international tournaments at least.

I'm kinda with you on him though. He has a LONG way to go with the game he plays unless he has some kinda freak physical development curve.

Michael Teply is the guy i want at 40 if they take Broberg. If they take Boldy i would strongly consider Simon Lundmark RD already in the SHL he's gonna be steal with his #61 ranking MacKenzie gave him. He's better than Lassie Thomson who has a cannon of a shot but hates contact and taking hits to make plays.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I agree. He does have a decent shot but I don't think he'll make it in the NHL.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

Question: How crazy would it be to take Spencer Knight @ 10? or is did his play down the stretch drop him from "OMG FRANCHISE GOALIE" to more like a Demko level?

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Wow I actually like Mckenzie's list if the Nucks draft this way:

10- Krebs
40-Korczak
71-Puistola

It's not where I have Krebs but not bad picks for the first 3 rounds all totaled.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i dont think it matters that much. He's 2 more years without a doubt and could easily be traded and will likely get a long look for the international tournaments at least.

I'm kinda with you on him though. He has a LONG way to go with the game he plays unless he has some kinda freak physical development curve.

Michael Teply is the guy i want at 40 if they take Broberg. If they take Boldy i would strongly consider Simon Lundmark RD already in the SHL he's gonna be steal with his #61 ranking MacKenzie gave him. He's better than Lassie Thomson who has a cannon of a shot but hates contact and taking hits to make plays.

Thompson is an awful one-trick pony but it’s the trick Benning really likes and I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us take him at 40.

Agreed that Teply looks like a good bet. Wonder if he’s going to come to the CHL next year as a lot of Czechs tend to do.

The only two WHL guys who are really interesting at 40 are Korsczak and Robertson if they’re still there. Or Leason if he somehow falls would be a no-brainer but he’ll go in the first round.

Sleeper guy would be Gianni Fairbrother but he’s probably more a guy with our 3rd rounder. Flying under the radar because he’s a bit undersized and doesn’t get a ton of PP minutes to rack up points there but is a high-IQ/high-compete guy with good mobility. And is a local kid.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
In my mind the top of the third tier is Zegras

Hughes Kakko
Byram Turcotte Dach Cousins
Zegras
Then the rest

I move up to take him at 6-7

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
A collection of guys who can f***in rip it (add more!)
-Cole Caulfield
-Arthur Kaliyev
-Bobby Brink
-Nolan Foote
-Nathan Legare

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The release looks the same, the puck still jumps off his stick. Agree to disagree.

Yep. Arguably, he's got the best shot on the team, even better than Boeser. The difference, Jake doesn't know where to be to get that shot off, or find that half second of dead space like Boeser can. It's all in the IQ.

Looks like everyone is jumping off the Krebs bandwagon, but I'll still be happy as a clam if we get him at 10.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Anybody want to bet that HFboards shuts down tomorrow during the draft..?...It did last year, as soon as Montreal selected Kotkaniemi instead of Zadina.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Really hoping for a miracle in zegras tomorrow, if not him I think caufield is worth the risk with an elite release and excellent hands, and I would be ok with boldy. Outside that along with the top 2 and byram i am having a hard time seeing any top line talent or a top D man in this draft. I am am sure there will be some solid 2c's in this draft, but I think we have a chance to do better if the chips fall right.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'm not interested in moving up, unless Turcotte or Byram slip. Stay at 10 and take one of Boldy, Zegras or Newhook.

I am in the minority saying zegras has alot more offensive potential then turcotte. I absolutely would move up to grab him unless the ask to move up makes little sense. Media consensus lists often sway opinions about who should go where and many of them I think are often off the mark. Lets see how this plays out tomorrow and the months to come as we track player development.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Really hoping for a miracle in zegras tomorrow, if not him I think caufield is worth the risk with an elite release and excellent hands, and I would be ok with boldy. Outside that along with the top 2 and byram i am having a hard time seeing any top line talent or a top D man in this draft. I am am sure there will be some solid 2c's in this draft, but I think we have a chance to do better if the chips fall right.

I had Caufield as my hope for 10 but I'm warming to the idea of Kaliyev... he actually looks a little like a 6'3 Caufield to me.

I would also like Zegras but have never felt there's much chance he falls to 10.

Newhook and Boldy I also like over Krebs but not by too much.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
I would love Korczak at 40. Fantastic skating and defensive game, with enough production in his draft year and offensive awareness to be very projectible at the next level. Looks a bit like Vlasic to me, and if his shot comes along, I think he could become a high-end 3D/low-end 2D in the long run.

Reactions: THE Green Man

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Thompson is an awful one-trick pony but it’s the trick Benning really likes and I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see us take him at 40.

Agreed that Teply looks like a good bet. Wonder if he’s going to come to the CHL next year as a lot of Czechs tend to do.

The only two WHL guys who are really interesting at 40 are Korsczak and Robertson if they’re still there. Or Leason if he somehow falls would be a no-brainer but he’ll go in the first round.

Sleeper guy would be Gianni Fairbrother but he’s probably more a guy with our 3rd rounder. Flying under the radar because he’s a bit undersized and doesn’t get a ton of PP minutes to rack up points there but is a high-IQ/high-compete guy with good mobility. And is a local kid.
Korszak i've seen a bunch. Impressive athlete and defender with great size mobilty and never seems to make mistakes. His shot is brutal but he will be a shut down guy if he hits... reminds me of Carlo ....Like him and would strongly consider at 40

Robertson i would be suprised if he's still there at 40. Solid player and prospect.

i'll keep an eye on Fairbrother next year.

A guy i like is Reece Newkirk of Portland. Huge longshot but he's a junior version of Brad Marchand. Absolute shift disturber and then he puts a couple points on the board. Compete is off the charts. Will do anything to win and get under the teams skin. If your looking in the 4tth to 6th round for a flyer i would have no problem putting this kid in the organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad