Pre-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Pt. V: Got your ticket? (Mod note in pinned post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You're both right. They're trying to trade up to get one of Zegras or Broberg.
I honestly don’t think Broberg is on their radar. If I had to make an educated guess, they want DETs pick at 6. If a miracle happens, they get Byram. If they don’t, they sprint to the stage and select Zegras

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I honestly don’t think Broberg is on their radar. If I had to make an educated guess, they want DETs pick at 6. If a miracle happens, they get Byram. If they don’t, they sprint to the stage and select Zegras

You honestly hope he's not on the Canucks radar. Everything seems to indicate he's high on their list.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
You honestly hope he's not on the Canucks radar. Everything seems to indicate he's high on their list.

We are interpreting this entirely differently. Benning can’t keep a secret, they have boners for zegras Byram and Newhook. Krebs to a lesser extend. I have seen anything credible linking them to Broberg. “They May like Broberg.” To me that means he has no idea and he is speculating. It’s well known, Zegras, Krebs and Newhook are having second interviews.

Yes, you are right, I sure hope they aren’t high on Broberg. Would be a terrible pick

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
I don't consider Byram being available, hence my "after 4" qualifier. Pipedream. Detroit probably needs him more than us, i don't see them trading down in that situation.

I have hard time seeing Byram getting past LA, I think if the Canucks want him they have to get Colorados pick

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Byram could slip to #6 if LA likes one of the big WHL centers like Dach or Cozens but DET probably needs him more than we do so I can't see them wanting to trade down to 10 unless they have Podzolkin rated above him and think he'll be there at 10.

Realistically,it's good business to know where other teams are at and what the asking price is to move up just in case there is an unexpected faller that you might be able to grab without a massive over payment.

Like most of the speculation the talking heads put out there before the draft,nothing will come of it and it's just teams having conversations and feeling each other out.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Byram is not slipping to 6. He's the best player in the CHL

I bet Detroit or Buffalo will take Broberg

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Jim Benning and the Canucks are believed to be involved in anything and everything to try and improve their defence, particularly with Alex Edler expected to move on in free agency. From Zaitsev to Trouba to potentially Tyler Myers in free agency, they are hoping to make a splash – even if it costs them their first-round pick (10th overall) to do it in front of their fans on Friday night as draft hosts. - tsn.ca

Since when is the 10th overall in play again?! wtf...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Jim Benning and the Canucks are believed to be involved in anything and everything to try and improve their defence, particularly with Alex Edler expected to move on in free agency. From Zaitsev to Trouba to potentially Tyler Myers in free agency, they are hoping to make a splash – even if it costs them their first-round pick (10th overall) to do it in front of their fans on Friday night as draft hosts. - tsn.ca

Since when is the 10th overall in play again?! wtf...

It very likely isn’t at play.

Benning is probably just keeping his options open and seeing what’s out there. It’s called “keeping your options open” and “doing one’s due diligence.”

Remember last year when many posters on here crapped their pants because “Benning was shopping his 7th for Ryan O’Reilly and Noah Hanifin?” It’s the same thing here.

Benning will end up with Soderstrom, Boldy, Broberg, or Seider.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The 2nd round looks good for us. Kolyachonok+Korczak would be great options. I also like Afanasyev.

Even the 3rd round, Puistola i like. And Dorofeyev is a bit lower than expected, but i do have concerns with his pacing and softness. However, at that point, everyone has warts, i take that gamble on his skill.

If Warren can slip 10 more spots to 102, i'd call that a great draft. Then pick up Fensore/Aaltonen late round, ooo boy.

on Kolyachonok...

One of us, One of us, One of us.

There's just every tool there, to become a solid all-around, productive NHL defenceman. I just keep hoping like heck that his Byelorussian passport and ending up on a bad team x2 as a result, somehow hides him from other NHL teams. But i just can't imagine nobody else has noticed the upside there. I'll be shocked if he actually goes at 39, but even if he did...i'd still be heartbroken.

If we walk away from the draft within Kolyachonok at 40, it's a win imo.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Agree. Broberg’s standout skill is too one-dimensional for me - drop your head and skate it up the ice fast. Beyond that one highly-visual trait, he doesn’t have any other stand out skills to be worth taking at 10 other than being tall. He’s a defense version of Valerie Nichushkin.

Soderstrom is much safer and probably will be a decent NHLer, but he has neither the size (6’) nor offensive inclinations to excite me at such a high pick. Just a safe, reliable 2nd pair D but lacking enough size or physicality to make him highly enticing. Seider checks more boxes than Soderstrom while being a similarly safe pick.

The thing about Broberg is that, at worst...he's basically a bigger Keith Ballard. Probably. That's still a really solid Top-4D who does dumb shit sometimes and doesn't have a map of the offensive zone. Or he's Connor Murphy who skated really well as a prospect, had size...and basically turned into nothing filler as a pro. I think that's probably Broberg's floor. There's so much to be wary of there though.

Crazy how Cozens is being left as the odd man out in a lot of the top 6-7 conversation (a lot of hype around Caufield and Broberg being taken early driving it) from different beat writers for different teams. He could slip to 8 or 9

Feels like Cozens U18s really sunk his stock. I think a lot of the problem is just that he's one of those centers who is so much better there...but you wish he could just be a winger, due to his lack of vision as a puck distributor.

I don't think anybody could be upset if we took Boldy at #10. We have nothing on the left-side except 2-3 middle 6 tweeners. He adds a playing style we don't have which makes Boldy even more reasonable. Rantanen is a decent comparable but Hertl/JVR is probably the right skill (and size) level, Rantanen is a beast.

Rantanen is an over-ambitious comparison for Boldy i think...but stylistically, it really does check out. They have that same versatility, and awareness of where people are on the battlefield.

Feb 20, 2013
I feel like if he’s there at 10, Krebs is our guy. Big spread on him in the Province today.

I'm a big fan of that. The Ice were terrible last year, but he was great. He is a more well-rounded player (physicality, defensive play) than Cozens and Dach despite being smaller.

I think that he is certainly a better pick than any defenseman not named Byram. Whether he is better than some of the American players that might be available at 10 is a more difficult question.

Reactions: lindgren

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I dunno how to feel about Krebs now. A month ago it seemed like someone would take him at 12 and in two years we'd look back and say "savvy pick".

Instead he just exploded his Achilles and it feels like he has...upward momentum?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Cozens really does scream Jeff Carter to me.

From the size, speed, and goal scoring touch. I wouldn’t mind Cozens at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad