2019 NHL Draft, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Thanks mate! I had a long list left over from the 2018 U18s, so i am just trying to work through it. Pasic, probably the two russian's, especially Dorofeyev since the Habs board is going crazy for him right now. Gone for half of March, then probably the Hlinka, then the WJC.

I might subscribe to hockeytv for a month to try out, because i really want to watch Bobby Brink. Those are some crazy numbers for a U18 in the USHL, currently surpassing Keller's draft year USHL ppg pace. Yet ranked much lower by various rankings. And also want to watch R.Johnson, Newhook and NTDP games, so i'll probably do some videos on those kids.

Dorofeyev is very underrated. Good find.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Arthur Kaliyev is someone I'd love for the Canucks to pick if they aren't picking in the top 2. Outside of Hughes and Kakko, my uneducated opinion based on his production compared to other recent draft year comparisons, he should be a good top 6 winger.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Should just give Simple Jim a very a simple formula so he can't screw up anymore picks.

Highest ranked player available>Does he have NHL skating ability? If so, then draft.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Should just give Simple Jim a very a simple formula so he can't screw up anymore picks.

Highest ranked player available>Does he have NHL skating ability? If so, then draft.
So no Petterson then, but would have Thachuk. Draft would be pretty boring. The 2016 draft was bad but the others are very defensible. Have as much trust in Benning as any manager at top of draft. They all have misses. Tampa Bay Yzerman choose not to pick Seth Jones and picked Brett Connelly 6th overall. Chicago pick Beech and Cam Barker during build up to their cups. Current drafting is not team's issue it is everything else.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
So no Petterson then, but would have Thachuk. Draft would be pretty boring. The 2016 draft was bad but the others are very defensible. Have as much trust in Benning as any manager at top of draft. They all have misses. Tampa Bay Yzerman choose not to pick Seth Jones and picked Brett Connelly 6th overall. Chicago pick Beech and Cam Barker during build up to their cups. Current drafting is not team's issue it is everything else.

Benning drafting overall is solid, especially the more he listens to Judd Brackett. The rest of being a GM he is pretty abysmal at. Pro scouting, building a roster, contracts, long term vision.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Jim is bad at many many things, drafting is not one of them

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is also called selective selection

No, it's called bad drafting.

There are enough good players in the top 10 that I'd be happy with almost any of them. Outside of the top 10 there are some good prospects, though I don't know that I would bump anyone into the top 10 just yet.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
No, it's called bad drafting.

There are enough good players in the top 10 that I'd be happy with almost any of them. Outside of the top 10 there are some good prospects, though I don't know that I would bump anyone into the top 10 just yet.

Here is y2kcanucks just moments after the Pettersson pick.

051880a4a0067cb5d43d369658c917c8.png

It would appear that playing fake GM know-it-all is much harder without the power of hindsight. I don't know about you but I would take every "brain-dead" Benning move if it meant we have Pettersson over all y2k's genius theoretical moves that would have left us with Vilardi.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Ya that’s a delete-account-and-start-over quote.

Benning is still total moron though, that doesn’t disprove it.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
He’s certainly not great at it. If you were to assign a letter grade to his picks (Pettersson A+, Boeser A, Juolevi F/C-, Virtanen C, etc), he’s probably sitting at like a 65% average. That’s super mediocre.
Potential Generational talent moves the needle a lot more in the overall thing of things.

I give him 75% on drafting

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Ya that’s a delete-account-and-start-over quote.

Benning is still total moron though, that doesn’t disprove it.

Why?

While I loved the Pettersson pick with the information we had at the timr Vilardi could have very well been the better pick. Just because we have hindsight now doesnt make it any less so.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Why?

While I loved the Pettersson pick with the information we had at the timr Vilardi could have very well been the better pick. Just because we have hindsight now doesnt make it any less so.

Because given the dispersion in results post-draft his statement was really naive.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Because given the dispersion in results post-draft his statement was really naive.

I dont think you are using the word naive correctly.

Anyone predicting the season Petterson is having, and doing so at the time of the draft would be naive.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
I dont think you are using the word naive correctly.

Anyone predicting the season Petterson is having, and doing so at the time of the draft would be naive.

Homie you’re ESL. To spell it out for you, it’s naive to think that one can predict who will have the better career between two similarly ranked forward prospects on draft day given the massive random component in development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad