Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Previous thread

2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Not gonna act like I've seen every Hamilton Bulldogs game (maybe 5-10) but the aforementioned qualities were my first impressions of him. He isn't special in either zone but if he's putting up 60 points then it's fine.

Best comparables I can find to him in terms of recently drafted prospects are Tkachuk/Boeser/Robertson. Should be getting top 5 consideration at this point.

Definitely a complimentary player.

I dont break stuff ..i dont have connections to management.

But im around the team and media lota for work so i usually spewl rink talk and what i see

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
We should draft Arthur Kaliyev. Big left winger going to be a stud.

I don't like his game away from the puck. Even his battle along the boards. However, his production is very strong. Overall, if the Canucks pick in the top10, I think there will be better options available -- and I was high on Kaliyev earlier on.

The forward choice I come back to in the top10 range, assuming that Turcotte is off the board, is Pelletier. This kid does everything and he is skilled. Size is the major knock against though...

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
We should draft Arthur Kaliyev. Big left winger going to be a stud.
This isn't the pick in a lottery spot in my opinion. I can see him falling big time, he's not a player that GM's will take a liking to with thorough studying. There's many better or more reliable options.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
This isn't the pick in a lottery spot in my opinion. I can see him falling big time, he's not a player that GM's will take a liking to with thorough studying. There's many better or more reliable options.

What are those more reliable options in your opinion?

What do you think of Pelletier?

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
What are those more reliable options in your opinion?

What do you think of Pelletier?
In our area, I really like the idea of grabbing Moritz Seider. We have Hughes and Juolevi on the left, so adding Seider to the right side would solidify our top 4 for a while assuming we keep Tanev around for a bit. He’s so physically mature and solid that he could almost be ready for NHL action, he’ll need probably one year of tenderizing before hopping over.

Pelletier has been playing quite well, and I would prefer him over Kaliyev. The size is obviously the issue there, and he is quite a determined player who doesn’t give up as easy as Kaliyev, but the size is still a deterrent. If we’re picking in the top 10, Kaliyev and Pelletier shouldn’t be options, we should be looking at guys who are falling a little bit from that top forward group which will interchange a bit still before the year is up. I expect Zegras to be a top 5 pick, and Turcotte to jump again once fully healthy.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Dorofeyev being in the 3rd round and his linemate Spiridonov not being there at all seems a bit off.

Based on the consensus, I'd be most happy with Kaliyev, Zegras or attempting to move down for Leason. Also would still absolutely look to swing that pick for perhaps a young defenceman who's fallen out with his team.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
The biggest question mark that could be a stud in my opinion is Brett Leason. He got passed on last season but has lit the WHL on fire and a terrific showing at the world juniors. Is he worth a shot?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Please explain your reasoning for this 'hot take'

19 yr old over ager on a stacked PA team. Physically more mature than everyone but doesnt have any wow factors or necessarily high iq to be top 6.

I would not use a 1st rnd pick on him .

However he is a safe bet to be an NHl player. He can at the very least kill penalties. Hes a great skater

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
19 yr old over ager on a stacked PA team. Physically more mature than everyone but doesnt have any wow factors or necessarily high iq to be top 6.

I would not use a 1st rnd pick on him .

However he is a safe bet to be an NHl player. He can at the very least kill penalties. Hes a great skater
He is the reason why the team is so stacked. He creates almost all of the offense. I can tell that you're mostly watching highlights or stat-watching with this assessment. His shot is pro level, and he showed his offensive 'wow factor' in the WJC. I love the 'overager' tag. Cody Glass was born a month before Brett Leason, but you don't see his stock dropping at all, and they are producing at a very similar pace.

To answer the Brett Leason question, I would take him right after the drop off of the top talent group of:
Kakko
Hughes
Byram
Zegras
Turcotte
Dach
Cozens
Podkolzin
Soderstrom
McMichael

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He is the reason why the team is so stacked. He creates almost all of the offense. I can tell that you're mostly watching highlights or stat-watching with this assessment. His shot is pro level, and he showed his offensive 'wow factor' in the WJC. I love the 'overager' tag. Cody Glass was born a month before Brett Leason, but you don't see his stock dropping at all, and they are producing at a very similar pace.

To answer the Brett Leason question, I would take him right after the drop off of the top talent group of:
Kakko
Hughes
Byram
Zegras
Turcotte
Dach
Cozens
Podkolzin
Soderstrom
McMichael

Wow over guys like krebs boldy broberg kalyiev

Too much of a gamble for me. Professional scouts have passed him over in 2 drafts.

Canucks are in no position to bet on someone like Leason. Established playoff teams are more suited for this type of gamble.

Canucks need to hit on their 1st rnd pick and the risk is too much for someone like Leason.

If we drafted a top 12 and the also picked up another 1st rnd pick in the 25th range then id gamble on Leason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have Leason inside the top-10. And I’m still worried I’m sleeping too much on him.

This isn’t Jonah Gadjovich scoring 40 goals because he’s bigger and stronger in front of the net than anyone else. You don’t destroy the WHL the way he has just because you’re ‘physically mature’.

Dynamic skater and puckhandler with huge reach and size with tons of upside. Reminds of Alex Tuch or even Blake Wheeler.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Wow over guys like krebs boldy broberg kalyiev

Too much of a gamble for me. Professional scouts have passed him over in 2 drafts.

Canucks are in no position to bet on someone like Leason. Established playoff teams are more suited for this type of gamble.

Canucks need to hit on their 1st rnd pick and the risk is too much for someone like Leason.

If we drafted a top 12 and the also picked up another 1st rnd pick in the 25th range then id gamble on Leason.

Leason is the opposite of a risk. He's one of the most surefire top six players available in the draft.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I have Leason inside the top-10. And I’m still worried I’m sleeping too much on him.

This isn’t Jonah Gadjovich scoring 40 goals because he’s bigger and stronger in front of the net than anyone else. You don’t destroy the WHL the way he has just because you’re ‘physically mature’.

Dynamic skater and puckhandler with huge reach and size with tons of upside. Reminds of Alex Tuch or even Blake Wheeler.
This. Has the versatility to play winger or center, but he looks better on the wing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leason is the opposite of a risk. He's one of the most surefire top six players available in the draft.

No kidding. It’s at least a 50/50 bet that he’s skating in the top-9 for the team that drafted him next season.

Rating him down because he was passed over before is the same thing as rating Kopitar down because no players came from Slovenia before.

How good he was or wasn’t in 2017 is meaningless. We’ve seen this year over a full WHL season him be the most consistent and dominant forward in the CHL with a massive pro skill set - size, skating, vision, puckhandling.

‘We’re not going to draft this big, fast, skilled, nearly NHL ready player because he wasn’t that good two years ago’ is just idiotic.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
No kidding. It’s at least a 50/50 bet that he’s skating in the top-9 for the team that drafted him next season.

Rating him down because he was passed over before is the same thing as rating Kopitar down because no players came from Slovenia before.

How good he was or wasn’t in 2017 is meaningless. We’ve seen this year over a full WHL season him be the most consistent and dominant forward in the CHL with a massive pro skill set - size, skating, vision, puckhandling.

We’re not going to draft this big, fast, skilled, nearly NHL ready player because he wasn’t that good two years ago’ is just idiotic.
it's funny that you mention that because it seems to be one of the most common prospect statements and it's hilarious.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Sure fire top 6??

Pump the breaks!

And yes hes a risk in relation to where the Canucks will be picking. I agree he will at the very least turn into a 3rd liner.

I still question his agility.

To me its more impressive to see what someone like Krebs is doing while playing in quite possibly one of the worst teams in the CHL. He does so many things in a game that results into a positive outcome. Compared to Leason who yes is producing but has soo much more opportunity to do in a stacked team.

Krebs 2 yrs younger. Imagine 2 yrs older Krebs vs Leason today

Time will tell.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Sure fire top 6??

Pump the breaks!

And yes hes a risk in relation to where the Canucks will be picking. I agree he will at the very least turn into a 3rd liner.

I still question his agility.

To me its more impressive to see what someone like Krebs is doing while playing in quite possibly one of the worst teams in the CHL. He does so many things in a game that results into a positive outcome. Compared to Leason who yes is producing but has soo much more opportunity to do in a stacked team.

Krebs 2 yrs younger. Imagine 2 yrs older Krebs vs Leason today

Time will tell.
Again, Leason in carrying the team. His offensive production is insane. I said, he's one of the MOST LIKELY available prospects to be a top 6 player.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

‘We’re not going to draft this big, fast, skilled, nearly NHL ready player because he wasn’t that good two years ago’ is just idiotic.

Yep maybe he plays top 9 next year but theres no gurantee he will be able to do that in an NHL level.

Playing top 9 next year means nothing either if he tops off as a top 9 player.

Would much rather have someone who doesnt make the team next year but develops into a top line player or pairing but just wasnt as physically mature and ready as Leason is now

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
He's outproducing every 2017 drafted 1st round forward still in the CHL this year.

That's absolutely worth a 1st round pick and I'll sure as hell take that over someone who isn't even P/G like Nolan Foote.

Reactions: timw33

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
it's funny that you mention that because it seems to be one of the most common prospect statements and it's hilarious.

And not just wrong, completely backward.

The fact he’s developed so sharply with this late development curve means he’s *more* likely to succeed than a flatlining guy like Nick Suzuki, not less.

Yep maybe he plays top 9 next year but theres no gurantee he will be able to do that in an NHL level.

Playing top 9 next year means nothing either if he tops off as a top 9 player.

Would much rather have someone who doesnt make the team next year but develops into a top line player or pairing but just wasnt as physically mature and ready as Leason is now

There’s no guarantees for anyone.

If you took a Krebs you could only hope he’s this dominant 2 years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->