2019 NHL Draft, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Albin Grewe looks really interesting to me in the 2nd, dependent on where we're picking he might not be there though

I also really like Mads Sogaard to keep the goalie pipeline pumping

Last edited:

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Here’s my first round from my recent rankings. I have come around on Krebs recently in recent viewings. I still don’t see the top end skill, but he seems to be more of a surefire too six forward than I thought previously. Dorofeyev is going to end up ala Kravtsov and is just playing very well right now. Debated a giant jump for Nick Robertson, but for now he stays in the 20’s. If he can continue his run of form for the next while, he’s going in my lottery selections. He’s driving the offense of the Petes. I have a full 275 so if anyone has any questions, don’t hesitate.

1. RW/C Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga
2. C Jack Hughes - U18’s, USNTDP
3. LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants, WHL
4. RW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA St. Petersburg, MHL
5. C Alex Turcotte - U18’s, USNTDP
6. C/RW Peyton Krebs - Kootenay Ice, WHL
7. C Kirby Dach - Saskatoon Blades, WHL
8. C/RW Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL
9. C Trevor Zegras - U18’s, USNTDP
10. C Connor McMichael - London Knights, OHL
11. LW/C Matthew Boldy - U18’s USNTDP
12. LW/RW Pavel Dorofeyev - Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk, KHL
13. RD Moritz Seider - Adler Mannheim, DEL
14. RD Victor Soderstrom - Brynas IF, SHL
15. C/RW Brett Leason - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL
16. LW/C Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies, BCHL
17. LW Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats, QMJHL
18. LW Arthur Kaliyev - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL
19. LD Cam York - U18’s, USNTDP
20. LD Thomas Harley - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL
21. C Ryan Suzuki - Barrie Colts, OHL
22. C/RW Raphael Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL
23. LW/C Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes, OHL
24. LD Philip Broberg - AIK, Allsvenskan
25. LD Matthew Robertson - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL
26. LD Mikko Kokkonen - Jukurit, Liiga
27. RW Bobby Brink - Sioux City Musketeers, USHL
28. LW Nils Hoglander - Rogle BK, SHL
29. LW Yegor Afanasyev - Muskegon Lumberjacks, USHL
30. C Philip Tomasino - Niagara IceDogs, OHL
31. LD Ville Heinola - Lukko, Liiga

No Caufield? I think he's the next Debrincat.

Reactions: canuckslover10

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Where do you guys expect Honka to go?
Any chance he drops to our 2nd?

Honka is anything between late 1st and late 2nd round. Yes he's OK puck moving dman.
But he has big troubles in defence and he reminds his older brother Julius too much.

If it was my decision i would stay far away of Honka.
There is something which screams potential bust to me and most likely it's his problems in defence.

Also Honka isn't only Finnish dman who might available for Canucks in 2nd round.
Mikko Kokkonen, Ville Heinola and Lassi Thomson are all good players and absolutely better than Honka in my papers.

At least Kokkonen and Heinola have chance to go mid or late 1st round in this June.
Also Thomson is potential 1st rounder.

But without surprises i can see Thomson getting drafted early 2nd round if some teams won't see him worth of late 1st round pick.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Honka is anything between late 1st and late 2nd round. Yes he's OK puck moving dman.
But he has big troubles in defence and he reminds his older brother Julius too much.

If it was my decision i would stay far away of Honka.
There is something which screams potential bust to me and most likely it's his problems in defence.

Also Honka isn't only Finnish dman who might available for Canucks in 2nd round.
Mikko Kokkonen, Ville Heinola and Lassi Thomson are all good players and absolutely better than Honka in my papers.

At least Kokkonen and Heinola have chance to go mid or late 1st round in this June.
Also Thomson is potential 1st rounder.

But without surprises i can see Thomson getting drafted early 2nd round if some teams won't see him worth of late 1st round pick.
Yea in the prospect forum, people are saying that he got demoted to lower league. He seems like a high risk high reward kind of guy.
But I can see a team like Nashville or Anaheim drafting him, and years later teams wonder why he slip so far.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yea in the prospect forum, people are saying that he got demoted to lower league. He seems like a high risk high reward kind of guy.
But I can see a team like Nashville or Anaheim drafting him, and years later teams wonder why he slip so far.

Maybe and maybe not.
Honka was Finland's worst defenders in U20 WJC's with Otto Latvala.
Both those guys played limited minutes for a reason.

Maybe Anttoni Honka is next Sami Vatanen type puck moving dman we can't know for sure how he develops.
But he can also be a clone of his older brother Julius.

If i was Jim Benning i would consider to draft another Finnish dman instead of Honka.
Mikko Kokkonen, Lassi Thomson and Ville Heinola really are good quality prospects and all of those guys has chance to get drafted during the first two rounds.

We can't know how well Kokkonen and Thomson would have played in U20 WJC's because they weren't in the Finland's team but Honka was and he didn't impress or shine at all.

But Heinola was good he was boosting his draft stock before that Comtois hit in the quarterfinal caused knee injury for him and ended his tournament before medal games.

If you wanna see more about Kokkonen and Heinola i recommend you follow Finland's games in U18 WJC's.
Kokkonen and Heinola will be Finland's team without injuries and both will have big role in that tournament.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Maybe and maybe not.
Honka was Finland's worst defenders in U20 WJC's with Otto Latvala.
Both those guys played limited minutes for a reason.

Maybe Anttoni Honka is next Sami Vatanen type puck moving dman we can't know for sure how he develops.
But he can also be a clone of his older brother Julius.

If i was Jim Benning i would consider to draft another Finnish dman instead of Honka.
Mikko Kokkonen, Lassi Thomson and Ville Heinola really are good quality prospects and all of those guys has chance to get drafted during the first two rounds.

We can't know how well Kokkonen and Thomson would have played in U20 WJC's because they weren't in the Finland's team but Honka was and he didn't impress or shine at all.

But Heinola was good he was boosting his draft stock before that Comtois hit in the quarterfinal caused knee injury for him and ended his tournament before medal games.

If you wanna see more about Kokkonen and Heinola i recommend you follow Finland's games in U18 WJC's.
Kokkonen and Heinola will be Finland's team without injuries and both will have big role in that tournament.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm not advocating for Honka or anything, just that he was somebody that I was intrigued by early in the season based on scouting reports. Maybe he struggle even more and we get him with our 3rd, that would be a risk worth taking.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for Kokkonen and Heinola though. Thanks for the heads up.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm not advocating for Honka or anything, just that he was somebody that I was intrigued by early in the season based on scouting reports. Maybe he struggle even more and we get him with our 3rd, that would be a risk worth taking.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for Kokkonen and Heinola though. Thanks for the heads up.

Heinola was playing himself a 1st round pick before Comtois hit him near the boards in quarterfinal vs Finland.
That knee injury kept Heinola out 6 to 8 weeks but now he's back and playing Rauman Lukko's liiga roster.

Kokkonen and Heinola are 2001 born and Thomson 2000 born he's a late birthday and that's why his draft is this June.
Prospects Ranking 5 / 2018-19 | FinnProspects.com

Here's newest Finnish prospect ranking and as you see Kokkonen, Heinola and Thomson are TOP5.
Honka is dropping and he's 6th but this is only Finnish ranking so we can't know is this comparable to NHL central scouting's and other International rankings.

If you think what those colors means here's an explanation.
Black = No change in ranking
Red = Dropping
Green = Rising.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I seriously don't understand why Kakko isn't the consensus 1 at this point.
for me, he's just more versatile and likely to succeed in a first line role. I could see Jack struggling and moving to the wing. I've had Kakko at one since the season was a month old and don't understand why Hughes is still seen as #1 by some.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Also, I've come around on Krebs. I still don't see like elite potential from him, but he may be one of the safer picks in the top 10 at this point. I have him over Dach and Cozens in my latest ranking and his engine has just been very impressive on that garbage Kootenay team.
props @Ronning On Empty

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Also, I've come around on Krebs. I still don't see like elite potential from him, but he may be one of the safer picks in the top 10 at this point. I have him over Dach and Cozens in my latest ranking and his engine has just been very impressive on that garbage Kootenay team.
props @Ronning On Empty

No props necessary, I was guessing on his impact on a very poor team. Oddly enough, Krebs bounced out of my top10 on the last go, but now he's back in. I think the poster that actually pushed Krebs early was @biturbo19.

So, what's your top10 at present? I have the following:

1. Kakko
2. Hughes (top2 toggle for me)
3. Cozens
4. Turcotte
5. Krebs
6. Dach
7. Byram
8. Boldy
9. Zegras
10. Soderstrom

I'm giving serious consideration to Pelletier, Brink and York for the bottom3 spots.

Also, I don't rank russians for various reasons. Podkolzin is a 'do not draft' for me.

Reactions: The Drop

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
No props necessary, I was guessing on his impact on a very poor team. Oddly enough, Krebs bounced out of my top10 on the last go, but now he's back in. I think the poster that actually pushed Krebs early was @biturbo19.

1. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Turcotte
5. Krebs
6. Dach
7. Byram
8. Boldy
9. Zegras
10. Soderstrom

I'm giving serious consideration to Pelletier, Brink and York for the bottom3 spots.

Also, I don't rank russians for various reasons. Podkolzin is a 'do not draft' for me.

Surprised you're so low on Byram. Well, I guess you're not really that low, he's just locked himself in at #3 for me now. I think he's the best D prospect since Seth Jones.

Thoughts on Caufield? I've had him top 10 for a couple months now and I haven't found anyone else near as high on him. Feebster put out a video on him last week that everyone should check out.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada

1. Kakko
3. Cozens
4. Turcotte
5. Krebs
6. Dach
7. Byram
8. Boldy
9. Zegras
10. Soderstrom

this is my top 15 from my most recent two weeks ago

Reactions: CanuckCity

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I’m not sure how accurate Wheeler is but he dropped a 2 round rankings today and his top was:

1) Hughes
2) Kakko
3) Cozens
4) Krebs
5) Boldy

He has Podkolzin at 14.

Byram at 7.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
props @Ronning On Empty

I think honestly, outside of Kakko and Jack, i'm hard pressed to see really firm "elite" player upside in much of anyone. Seems like not even so much a "knock" in this draft, as just the reality of the situation outside the top-2.

With Krebs though, i do still think he's got a pretty high "ceiling". If you put him on a more talented team with some serious finishers, i think he looks even more impressive than he does dragging that Kootenay team around with him. He's the sort of smart player with the vision to find easy chemistry with other good players and elevate each others game. Especially with his quickness/speed and motor, and his adaptability in the pace he can play at.

It's where, some guys seem to really thrive on being the focal point of a bad team - "big fish in a small pond" mentality. Watching Krebs though, it's kinda different. Plenty impressive and he's an obvious standout focal point of the team and makes bad players around him look better, etc...but it really feels like he's being held back by what his teammates are capable of. Like there's things he's looking to do, but his teammates just aren't capable of processing and executing on that level consistently. He's not the type who has to always have the puck to play well...he just happens to be comfortable enough and has the talent to do that if he needs to. Which on that team, he kinda does. But where putting him in a situation with other NHL caliber talent...i could see him really exploding.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

this is my top 15 from my most recent two weeks ago

Byram at #3 because you see him as a future #1 Dman?

I respect that Turcotte ranking.

Why Dach over Cozens?

McMichael over Boldy?

What do you think of Pelletier? He's outproducing the CHL names ahead of him and has a high motor, strong on his skates and with his blade, and the vision to create room for himself. Where do you think he lacks?

Similar questions about York.

Surprised you're so low on Byram. Well, I guess you're not really that low, he's just locked himself in at #3 for me now. I think he's the best D prospect since Seth Jones.

Thoughts on Caufield? I've had him top 10 for a couple months now and I haven't found anyone else near as high on him. Feebster put out a video on him last week that everyone should check out.

There would be other choices I would take ahead of Caufield in the top10.

I'm wary of size as it deviates from average NHL height. The same would be true if he was very tall, but just not to the same degree. That, and his production does not suggest he should be ranked ahead of others. Boldy has a better PPG, as does Zegras. York is even at 16 points in 17 games, and the same height concerns are not there for him.

I get the hype on Byram. I just trust forward production and projection more at the top end of the draft.

You have to also remember that Jones offered a better frame, right shot and athleticism. Both were about PPG for draft year production in the WHL. Yet, Jones had a stronger track record in his D-1 season. In the end, I don't see a Jones level prospect in Byram.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
There would be other choices I would take ahead of Caufield in the top10.

I'm wary of size as it deviates from average NHL height. The same would be true if he was very tall, but just not to the same degree. That, and his production does not suggest he should be ranked ahead of others. Boldy has a better PPG, as does Zegras. York is even at 16 points in 17 games, and the same height concerns are not there for him.

I get the hype on Byram. I just trust forward production and projection more at the top end of the draft.

You have to also remember that Jones offered a better frame, right shot and athleticism. Both were about PPG for draft year production in the WHL. Yet, Jones had a stronger track record in his D-1 season. In the end, I don't see a Jones level prospect in Byram.

Caufield is small but he's hands down the best goal scorer in the draft. He's actually pretty decent in scrums and on the boards for a guy his size. I'm not saying he's necessarily better than consensus top 10 guys like Boldy and Zegras, but I will argue that he's on their level.

With regards to Byram I never said he's as good as Jones. Jones was the best D prospect I've ever seen and I wouldn't consider Byram in the same class. I do like him better than guys like Ekblad, Hanifan, and any other defenseman I've ever watched pre-draft.* I'm jealous of all you lower mainland folks who can watch him live all the time.

*I should clarify that I'm only referring to North American prospects. The only European prospect I ever watched a lot of predraft is Barkov, and that was because it was a lockout year and he was playing with our former honey badger.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
It's probably safe to assume that we'll be drafting in the 8-12 range and should be able to pick up a good complimentary player there.It looks like we're now set at C with Pettersson,Horvat,Sutter and Beagle in the near term and Gaudette,Gaunce and Madden in the wings.Being that teams might overvalue or reach for "premium position" centers and defencemen,I think there will be good value getting the best winger available with our first then load up on D after that.
I'd guess that Hughes,Kakko,Podkolzin,Cozens,Byram,and Dach will be gone by 8 and Turcotte and Zegras by 10 but then it opens up after that.If we could come away with Boldy or Krebs,I would be super pumped.Broberg,if he's there,I wouldn't hate but I'd be much more comfortable taking a winger as the bust potential is much lower and Boldy and Krebs are good bets to be top six players but could still play lower in the lineup if it takes them a bit longer to get to that point.

Who are the good RS D-men in the 40ish range?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
If the season ended today we would be drafting 10th going into the lottery. This is the best draft position we have had in a while so let’s hope the tank continues .

I always wanted 1 more top high end prospect and this is the year to do it . I would love a player like Boldy

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
The bust potential where we're looking at picking seems high to me and I'd sooner trade down this year than risk picking a Broberg or one of the other top ranked defenders like I'm guessing Benning will.
Maybe LA would be willing to swap the Toronto 1st + LA 2nd rounder for our first.
Can't risk another Juolevi this year.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
The bust potential where we're looking at picking seems high to me and I'd sooner trade down this year than risk picking a Broberg or one of the other top ranked defenders like I'm guessing Benning will.
Maybe LA would be willing to swap the Toronto 1st + LA 2nd rounder for our first.
Can't risk another Juolevi this year.

Yuck. Top ten pick for a 25ish and 32nd pick. I'll pass

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Byram at #3 because you see him as a future #1 Dman?

I respect that Turcotte ranking.

Why Dach over Cozens?

McMichael over Boldy?

What do you think of Pelletier? He's outproducing the CHL names ahead of him and has a high motor, strong on his skates and with his blade, and the vision to create room for himself. Where do you think he lacks?

Similar questions about York.
Byram is easily the best available defenseman and I just see him easily as a #1D with his all around skill. Even more impressive live, and it seemed he just could do everything.

Dach I've had over Cozens the entire year, explained it quite a lot too. Just like his size and overall package better. Little stockier, better chance at center, just overall more enticing for me.

McMichael everyone kinda knows I've always been giant on. Reminds me too much of Matthews, the way he just has a nose for the puck and scores it so well, but also can set up plays just as well. Those two are real close for me, I'll take the center over the winger and most know how high I've been on McMichael, in my first two rounds when he was unranked by most.

Pelletier is ranked 17th on my list, super skilled and the motor is there, but his diminutive stature has turned me off of him a little from being a top talent. He's done well creating that space in the CHL, but I don't think that space will be there at the next level for him.

York is at 19th on my list. Used the Keith Yandle comparison a lot in playing style, I think he ends up a little less than Yandle like, toned down a bit, probably somewhere on the second pairing as more of an offensive option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->