2019 NHL Draft, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
There isn't a defenseman (other than Byram who should go 3rd overall) that is Top 10 worthy right now. I do think we will see one or two other defenseman go in the Top 10. When a draft is weak in a certain position you see the 2nd or 3rd highest ranked players at that position get a bump because of it. Last year the draft was weak in centers which caused some centers to go higher than they really should've.

I'm hoping we aren't the team in the Top 10 that goes off the board for a defenseman when this draft is so deep on Top 6 forward talent. Go with the flow of the draft and realize where the value lies. D made sense last year because there was so many good ones to choose from in the Top 10. This year it should be all about the forwards....let Brackett do his thing given all the talented American forwards available.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Here's my top 15 now

1. Kappo Kakko
2. Jack Hughes
3. Kirby Dach
4. Bowen Byram
5. Alex Turcotte
6. Vasili Podkolzin
7. Dylan Cozens
8. Matthew Boldy
9. Victor Soderstrom
10. Peyton Krebs
11. Trevor Zegras
12. Ville Heinola
13. Cole Caufield
14. Cam York
15. Arthur Kaliyev

HM: Spencer Knight

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Seems like a pretty routine draft if we stay at 8.

Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Podkolzin , the 3 american kids and Cozens + Dach. We leave the draft with one of them.

Side note: Peyton Krebs was -50? wtf how is that possible lol. I know his team trash but damn.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
There isn't a defenseman (other than Byram who should go 3rd overall) that is Top 10 worthy right now. I do think we will see one or two other defenseman go in the Top 10. When a draft is weak in a certain position you see the 2nd or 3rd highest ranked players at that position get a bump because of it. Last year the draft was weak in centers which caused some centers to go higher than they really should've.

I'm hoping we aren't the team in the Top 10 that goes off the board for a defenseman when this draft is so deep on Top 6 forward talent. Go with the flow of the draft and realize where the value lies. D made sense last year because there was so many good ones to choose from in the Top 10. This year it should be all about the forwards....let Brackett do his thing given all the talented American forwards available.

100% agree.There should be a couple of very good forwards still on the board when we pick at 8-10 and we might have an even better selection if a few teams feel they need a D-man.We also really need a couple more impact forwards and this should be obvious to Benning and Co.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I agree we should be walking away with one of Hughes, Kakko, Podz, Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Dach (hopefully in that order). But we all remember, "and from the London Knights .... Olli Juolevi." When we all clearly assumed we'd be taking Tkachuk.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I agree we should be walking away with one of Hughes, Kakko, Podz, Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras, Krebs, Boldy, Dach (hopefully in that order). But we all remember, "and from the London Knights .... Olli Juolevi." When we all clearly assumed we'd be taking Tkachuk.

I made money on that draft betting they would f*** it up and take Juolevi. It's quite easy when you can bet on Benning's stupidity.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I made money on that draft betting they would **** it up and take Juolevi. It's quite easy when you can bet on Benning's stupidity.
Let’s not talk about that..let’s focus on this year lol.

If Byram is there at our Pick we take him. If not, we 100% take a forward and should not reach for a dman like Soderstrom.

My list is much different than how I think the draft will turn out. I know it depends on the team standings but I think it’ll go something like:

1) Hughes
2) Kakko
3) Poldkozin
4) Cozens
5) Byram
6) Turcotte
7) Zegras
8) Dach
9) Boldy
10) Broberg

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Some have podkolzin and dach in top6..they maybe but i feel one of them is the faller this draft like vilardi was..
Boldy or one of the fallers to canucks unless they win top 3 pick. Would love byram but no chance he falls to 9th.

Reactions: Steely Van

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
Or prepare for a scary overpayment from benning to move up just to make a splash at the draft in front of vancouver crowd.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Going by McKenzie's list,

Hughes
Kakko
Podkolzin

is a clear top 3

then he has it Dach, Cozens, Byram. Which makes sense as teams value those big centres at the top of the draft.

So we should be looking at one of Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Krebs, Caufield which would make me very happy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Would be happy with either but fully expecting Benning to reach for a defenceman.

Benning can’t be our GM at the draft. He will do something stupid like not taking BPA again like he did with Virtanen and Juolevi

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This draft seems weaker to me then previous years, I like the usal kakko and hughes, also like byram around 3. Have not decided on podkolzin, I also like zegras high end skill.

Other years I had a few guys I liked in our wheelhouse, this year its tough to identify special players, lets have some lottery luck for once.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
I don't want Dach. His scouting reports are eerily similar to Lawson Crouse. I think he'll drop too. At our position IF we haven't traded the pick, I say take one whomever's left of the American forwards.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

Hughes
Kakko
Podkolzin

is a clear top 3

then he has it Dach, Cozens, Byram. Which makes sense as teams value those big centres at the top of the draft.

So we should be looking at one of Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy, Krebs, Caufield which would make me very happy.
I don't think Zegras has Keller type of talent, and if he doesn't, what does he become? Baertschi/Namestinkov type of tweener IMO. I would rather take Krebs. He's the perfect winger for this team, can do the dirty work for the skill players and he thinks the game highly. I think Krebs' is more solid in more areas of the game than Boldy.

Caufield, IMO, is a tier below all the players mentioned.

The top 6 seems pretty clear, basically every team before the Canucks needs a C (Dach, Cozens, Hughes) or a D (Byram). Podkolzin and Kakko are too good as wingers to drop.

------------------------------------------------------

Nobody is talking about trading down which may be the best move. Let's get a lot of quality shots at finding wingers for Pettersson and Horvat. Boeser is 1, Pearson/Baertschi could be 1-2 more, but if we can get 2 1sts, or a early 2nd + drop in the 1st. That leaves us with a possibility at getting someone like Kaliyev/Lavoie/Poulin/Pelletier/Grewe twice. Dach to Lavoie to Toporowski is not a big gap.

2 Toporowskis > Dach.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018

Hughes
Kakko
Podkolzin

is a clear top 3

I got a bad feeling that if this were to happen, Soderstrom would be our pick and it might be like picking Joulevi instead of Tkachuk.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
There are so many good teams in the league now, and a core's window to win is often so short that the pessimist in me believes that the Canucks winning a cup in the next 15 years could very well depend on them winning a top 3 pick in this draft.

Either that or some other prospect wildly exceeds expectations.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I got a bad feeling that if this were to happen, Soderstrom would be our pick and it might be like picking Joulevi instead of Tkachuk.

Soderstrom is amazing IMO. Would love to add him to Hughes, Stecher, Juolevi, and Woo.

But I think they'll pick one of Turcotte/Zegras/Boldy.

They're watching Byram in these playoffs like a hawk though, might trade up.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Soderstrom is amazing IMO. Would love to add him to Hughes, Stecher, Juolevi, and Woo.

But I think they'll pick one of Turcotte/Zegras/Boldy.

They're watching Byram in these playoffs like a hawk though, might trade up.

Soderstrom over one of the USNTP forwards seems like Juolevi over Tkachuk 2.0...

Reactions: THE Green Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad