2019 NHL Draft, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Looks like 8-9th if nobody jumps us so

Hughes Bryam, Kakko, Podz will definetly be gone

One of Krebs, Dach, Turcotte, Caulfield, Zegras and Boldy

I’m fine with any of those guys and lean towards Turcotte, Boldy and Caulfield over Keenan, Zegras and Dach
All in this order

Dont forget Cozens in that list, also a second tier of Broberg, Kaliyev, Soderstrom and York isn't looking to bad either.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Just curious, I've looked at a bunch of rankings lately. Why has Broberg seemingly fallen out of the top 10? I see some rankings have him listed around 15 now?

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
Just curious, I've looked at a bunch of rankings lately. Why has Broberg seemingly fallen out of the top 10? I see some rankings have him listed around 15 now?
I've heard tremendous skater, but not the best puck handler. Would probably be a stretch to take him in the top 10. Probably a mid first round pick.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The BPA where we're picking will probably fill a need.

Two guys rated lower I would look hard at:

Cole Caufield - development isn't linear, but I think he's a better player than DeBrincat was at the same age. Maybe a lot better.

Lassi Thomson - I don't know if even I'd have the guts to take him top 10 because the production isn't high enough, but I can't shake the feeling that he's the best defenseman in the draft. Improved throughout the year and I just haven't seen anybody better than him. Elite skater and shooter and controls every game he plays.

I'm all in on the Cole Caufield train. I love this kids motor, and nose for then net. He may be small but he just knows how to score. For me he has just as much high end potential as the top end talent in this draft.

Lassi Thomson would be an interesting 2nd Rd pick, he's got a bomb of a shot and can skate very well. He's a new age defenseman for sure, and is a right shot to boot. One thing that was pointed out to me, that I think is worth mentioning (although I don't think it's as big a deal), is that he's one of the older 1st year eligible players in the draft.

If Nolan Foote or Alex Vlasic fall, snap them up in the 2nd Rd please.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
With Pettersson and Hughes already I would prefer if we draft some size/strength into our lineup that can get to the scoring areas.
EP40 will improve but the last 20 games should be a message that we cannot be a perimeter team once the games get tighter.
Of course I say this recognizing that we shouldn't be sacrificing a top line player for a lower line talent.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
With Pettersson and Hughes already I would prefer if we draft some size/strength into our lineup that can get to the scoring areas.
EP40 will improve but the last 20 games should be a message that we cannot be a perimeter team once the games get tighter.
Of course I say this recognizing that we shouldn't be sacrificing a top line player for a lower line talent.

This is where I get in trouble with the DRAFT SKILL group. Size isn't a skill but knowing how to use size is and many fans loose sight of this. Look at Bo Horvat, he's not that physical of a player, but he knows how to use his size to protect the puck and forecheck to get the puck.

It's about finding the right combination of skill and size.

Dylan Cozens gets knocked down in many rankings because he may not be as skilled as some of the USNDT players but I think his full package, size, stick/puck skills, and smarts will make him a very very good player for a while in the NHL.

John Beecher and Nolan Foote are two players if available in the 2nd rd would be good options.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Prioritizing strength with the most important picks gets you a Virtanen.

The Canucks are just a bad team, that's why Pettersson faded....the opposition only had to worry about his line ALL SEASON.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver

This is where I get in trouble with the DRAFT SKILL group. Size isn't a skill but knowing how to use size is and many fans loose sight of this. Look at Bo Horvat, he's not that physical of a player, but he knows how to use his size to protect the puck and forecheck to get the puck.

It's about finding the right combination of skill and size.

Dylan Cozens gets knocked down in many rankings because he may not be as skilled as some of the USNDT players but I think his full package, size, stick/puck skills, and smarts will make him a very very good player for a while in the NHL.

John Beecher and Nolan Foote are two players if available in the 2nd rd would be good options.

I agree with both. Size DOES mean something with players. Sure there are the Patrick Kanes of the world, but for every one of him there are dozens of small guys with good skill who can't play the NHL game. We are in desperate need for another top player to help the core 4 that we have now. If we already had good size in our skilled forwards, I might not mind the pick, but there are many very good young players in the top 12 picks of this draft. There are lots of 5'7 guys in the world and VERY few who play in the NHL. There are guys in the draft that will be available for us where we are picked that will have skill, size and decent skating. We already have a very small group of skilled forwards... small in number of skilled forwards and small in size. I would like the canucks to take a High IQ player with decent skating, whether that be forward or d

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People get stuck on size, and discount lack of size because of history, instead of tracking trends.

I don't care that size was overvalued in the 90's/00's....what's trending now?

Take a look at the size of the top 50 scorers in the league, majority are under 6'0' and under 200lbs now.

Kucherov, Point, Kane, Marchand, Gaudreau, Marner, Panarin, Aho, Pastrnak, Debrincat, Teravainen, Guentzel, etc etc etc

The game is so much less physical than it was even 10 years ago. The Canucks absolutely do NOT have enough talent in the system to overlook it for size/strength or position.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
EP losing puck battles has been a serious problem down the stretch, but the bigger problem is he stopped making plays...we also need more guys are fast and who make plays. That said, someone like Boldy who can do both would be a nice fit.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
People get stuck on size, and discount lack of size because of history, instead of tracking trends.

Take a look at the size of the top 50 scorers in the league, majority are under 6'0' and under 200lbs now.

Kucherov, Point, Kane, Marchand, Gaudreau, Marner, Panarin, Aho, Pastrnak, Debrincat, Teravainen, Guentzel, etc etc etc

The game is so much less physical than it was even 10 years ago. The Canucks absolutely do NOT have enough talent in the system to overlook it for size/strength or position.

Hockey is back like in the fifties and sixties. (Minus the stupid violence, of course). The smaller quicker players are dominating the scoreboard. They have room to use their skills, because the bigger slower footed players can’t grab and hang on. There will always be bigger guys who have great skating and skill too, but it’s really a pleasure to watch these elite skilled smaller guys doing well again. Saying all that, I’d sure love Hedman, Chara, or Big Buff on our back end!!!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hockey is back like in the fifties and sixties. (Minus the stupid violence, of course). The smaller quicker players are dominating the scoreboard. They have room to use their skills, because the bigger slower footed players can’t grab and hang on. There will always be bigger guys who have great skating and skill too, but it’s really a pleasure to watch these elite skilled smaller guys doing well again. Saying all that, I’d sure love Hedman, Chara, or Big Buff on our back end!!!
My point is that dismissing talent because of size is foolish.

A supreme talent that is also big is great. I'd love to add a Hedman, or a prime Getzlaf type player, but those larger elite talents are just as "rare" as the tiny guys.

There are more players under 190lbs in the top 50 scorers than over 210lbs, more 6'0" and under than 6'3" +.

I get wanting size, I'd like to have some bigger guys too, but don't overvalue it. If you think the 5'11" guy is way more talented than the 6'3" guy or at least effective talent, take the smaller guy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My point is that dismissing talent because of size is foolish.

A supreme talent that is also big is great. I'd love to add a Hedman, or a prime Getzlaf type player, but those larger elite talents are just as "rare" as the tiny guys.

There are more players under 190lbs in the top 50 scorers than over 210lbs, more 6'0" and under than 6'3" +.

I get wanting size, I'd like to have some bigger guys too, but don't overvalue it. If you think the 5'11" guy is way more talented than the 6'3" guy or at least effective talent, take the smaller guy.

100% agree. I hope we always draft for skill, smarts, and compete before size. Theo Flury was tiny. I met him several times, and he is not more than 5’5”. But boy did he ever compete! No more Gudbranson guys, who are big, but that’s it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If we are picking 8th, I would gun for Alex Turcotte

Who is the little USHL kid that has super skills? With the way the game is trending to these smaller guys being able to drive play, maybe we should take him? He would have to have serious compete level though, and have character toughness, of course.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

I agree, but it's finding the right combination of size and skill. While "Old Hockey Men" will overlook players like Debrincat, and Caufield, I do think a lot of the "internet scouts" can overlook bigger players who may not be as skilled with the puck.

I am trying to be a leader in the Caufield bandwagon here, but I do understand how it's not all about the most skilled player, it's about putting together the whole package and which player uses their skills and attributes the best.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
One player that constantly gets forgotten about is Arthur Kaliyev - 102 points in 67 games this year in the OHL. 51 goals.

6’1 165lbs. Build like Petey.

Not sure why he isn’t universally ranked in the top 10. He’s from Uzbekistan so there really isn’t the Russian factor there. Attitude issues perhaps?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Cole Caufield.

He’s lighting it up but he’s also 5’7 150lbs.
How big is Goudreau? Marner is ver small, and slight too. Patrick Kane is smaller. I think if this kid has high compete, and has internal toughness, we should take him 8-12, if he’s there. We need another elite guy who drives play. Other than Hughes, Kakko, and Byram who else in this draft has as high a ceiling to drive play?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Kaliyev is actually a New Yorker and half of his mainboard thread consists of people being surprised that he didn't know who the Wu-Tang Clan were.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
How big is Goudreau? Marner is ver small, and slight too. Patrick Kane is smaller. I think if this kid has high compete, and has internal toughness, we should take him 8-12, if he’s there. We need another elite guy who drives play. Other than Hughes, Kakko, and Byram who else in this draft has as high a ceiling to drive play?

I wouldn’t be upset with Caufield from 8-10. He’s got tremendous upside and a motor for days.

It’s just the size issue.

He has arguably better numbers than Jack Hughes - he’s over a goal per game in the USHL. 29 in 28 games.

Screams Alex Debrincat 2.0 to me. Look how many teams f***ed up on that one.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
One player that constantly gets forgotten about is Arthur Kaliyev - 102 points in 67 games this year in the OHL. 51 goals.

6’1 165lbs. Build like Petey.

Not sure why he isn’t universally ranked in the top 10. He’s from Uzbekistan so there really isn’t the Russian factor there. Attitude issues perhaps?

Kaliyev is someone who doesn't work hard enough away from the puck for the liking of a lot of scouts and relies on others to get the puck for him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Kaliyev is someone who doesn't work hard enough away from the puck for the liking of a lot of scouts and relies on others to get the puck for him.

He seems like another Goldobin to me. A lot of flashy skills with the puck, but there’s nothing going on without the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad