2019 NHL Draft, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Hockey is back like in the fifties and sixties. (Minus the stupid violence, of course). The smaller quicker players are dominating the scoreboard. They have room to use their skills, because the bigger slower footed players can’t grab and hang on. There will always be bigger guys who have great skating and skill too, but it’s really a pleasure to watch these elite skilled smaller guys doing well again. Saying all that, I’d sure love Hedman, Chara, or Big Buff on our back end!!!

Well hopefully Tryamkin shores us up in 20-21.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
People get stuck on size, and discount lack of size because of history, instead of tracking trends.

I don't care that size was overvalued in the 90's/00's....what's trending now?

Take a look at the size of the top 50 scorers in the league, majority are under 6'0' and under 200lbs now.

Kucherov, Point, Kane, Marchand, Gaudreau, Marner, Panarin, Aho, Pastrnak, Debrincat, Teravainen, Guentzel, etc etc etc

The game is so much less physical than it was even 10 years ago. The Canucks absolutely do NOT have enough talent in the system to overlook it for size/strength or position.

My point is that dismissing talent because of size is foolish.

A supreme talent that is also big is great. I'd love to add a Hedman, or a prime Getzlaf type player, but those larger elite talents are just as "rare" as the tiny guys.

There are more players under 190lbs in the top 50 scorers than over 210lbs, more 6'0" and under than 6'3" +.

I get wanting size, I'd like to have some bigger guys too, but don't overvalue it. If you think the 5'11" guy is way more talented than the 6'3" guy or at least effective talent, take the smaller guy.

5'7 guys are NOT trending now.

There is going to be a limit to how small someone can be before the size issue is just too great. Would you draft a guy that was 3'5"? Why not?

Of the guys you listed only ONE is 5'7.
Kucherov - 5'11
Point - 5'10
Kane - 5'10
Marchand - 5'9
Gaudraeu - 5'9
Marner - 6'0
Panarin - 5'11
Aho - 6'0
Pastrnak - 6'0
Debrincat - 5'7
Teravainen - 5'11
Guentzel - 5'11

I'll even name off a couple more guys that could help your argument
St. Louis - 5'8
Kariya - 5'10

Guys that are below 5'10 are still a VERY rare exception in the NHL. They are NOT trending. Don't even kid yourself. You are taking a massive chance one someone like that and based on where we are in our in the rebuild where we need to make sure we're adding to our core 4. Taking a chance on a guy that has a very good chance of busting could completely ruin our chances at becoming contenders in a couple of years. We need this pick to be an important piece to our puzzle and can't afford for it to not hit. If this was a 2nd round selection, I'd have less of a problem with a swing for the fences pick.

This game is still a very physical one where you have to win puck battles. The biggest team in the NHL won the Stanley Cup last year and they did it by knocking out teams that had 5 of the players you listed.

Every single year, regardless of what happens in the regular season, regardless of who wins the scoring titles, the Stanley Cup is won through a war of attrition. We see it every year. It's a war where teams wear down and players submit to the absolute physical beatdown they get every night they play. And every year we see teams get knocked out simply because they couldn't survive the endless rounds of battles. We saw it here.

Already we're seeing that small players like Pettersson are having difficulty with just the long season, he's wearing down.

I'm not ready to take a chance on a guy that is 5'7 when there are other guys in the top 12 who look like they are going to be very good players, who also have skill, size and speed.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm not advocating for Caufield. I'm saying it would be stupid to dismiss him based solely on his height.

Guys below 5'10" are getting less and less rare....do you really believe Quinn Hughes is 5'10"?

I don't think size plays a significant difference in the playoffs either. Is Brad Marchand disadvanaged because he's 5'9"?

Not being willing to take the risk is your perogative and I get that, but I think it's foolish.

The best team in the NHL is the lightest and shortest, and if you just look at their forwards, they're really small.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
If I'm drafting, I'm assuming certain players are going to be gone. Canucks are at 8th (Before lottery), so I suspect they will likely pick 9th-10th. Assuming Hughes, Kakko, Byram and Podkolzin go 1-4, then I'm hoping that one of the following players will be available at 9-10 or that the Canucks could move up a few spots to grab one.

Dylan Cozens - Has a tremendous motor and can play any style of game you want. He is fast, can grind it out, score great goals and has an exceptional compete level. Shoot first forward who can punish the opposing team.

Matthew Boldy - Another great competitor with very high hockey IQ. Decent skater, but not exceptional but otherwise can do it all. Great playmaking, sees the ice very well and can score. When he fills out, he's going to be very difficult for other teams to handle.

Philip Broberg - Some people have this guy falling on their list and I think it's crazy. This guy is a very good skating defenseman with exceptional abilities, and for a guy who is 6'3, that's rare. He's extremely good at breaking out with the puck and controlling the play. He doesn't have a blistering shot, but is good at controlling the play and gets it on net. He sees the ice very well and makes very good plays.

Kirby Dach - Similar in side to Matthew Boldy but more of a pass first forward. If the other 3 on this list are already gone before we pick around 9th, then Dach would be a good addition.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If I'm drafting, I'm assuming certain players are going to be gone. Canucks are at 8th (Before lottery), so I suspect they will likely pick 9th-10th. Assuming Hughes, Kakko, Byram and Podkolzin go 1-4, then I'm hoping that one of the following players will be available at 9-10 or that the Canucks could move up a few spots to grab one.

Dylan Cozens - Has a tremendous motor and can play any style of game you want. He is fast, can grind it out, score great goals and has an exceptional compete level. Shoot first forward who can punish the opposing team.

Matthew Boldy - Another great competitor with very high hockey IQ. Decent skater, but not exceptional but otherwise can do it all. Great playmaking, sees the ice very well and can score. When he fills out, he's going to be very difficult for other teams to handle.

Philip Broberg - Some people have this guy falling on their list and I think it's crazy. This guy is a very good skating defenseman with exceptional abilities, and for a guy who is 6'3, that's rare. He's extremely good at breaking out with the puck and controlling the play. He doesn't have a blistering shot, but is good at controlling the play and gets it on net. He sees the ice very well and makes very good plays.

Kirby Dach - Similar in side to Matthew Boldy but more of a pass first forward. If the other 3 on this list are already gone before we pick around 9th, then Dach would be a good addition.

I think Broberg is over rated. With such exceptional abilities why does he have no points or offensive game? I really don't want another vanilla defender like Juolevi who does nothing exceptionally well.

The forwards you mention I am fully on board with along with Zegras

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think Broberg is over rated. With such exceptional abilities why does he have no points or offensive game? I really don't want another vanilla defender like Juolevi who does nothing exceptionally well.

It's hard to produce as a 17 year old in the SHL, you get like no ice time. Adam Boqvist had 1 point in 15 SHL games

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Broberg just doesn't seem like he knows what to do once he enters the zone with the puck. He's a great straight line skater, plays a fairly pro-styled game, has a heavy stick, but if you're in the top 10, you want someone who projects better at both ends.

He reminds me of Haydn Fleury and Madison Bowey, although I don't think his skating agility is as strong as Bowey's, just that they lack the finer points that set apart the truly elite defensman.

I actually don't understand why he's ranked so highly and the big Russian Ilya Mironov isn't.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Call me an unabashed optimist....but I could see Byram falling in this draft.....it's not that he's not a top-notch prospect, but teams at the top end of the draft tend to be thinking offense and instant impact from a scoring forward.

Still think the Canucks will have to climb to the 6-7 draft hole to stand a chance though.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This is Sporting News rankings. I am good with any player of this top 11. Just don't want Benning to do anything stupid and reach for Broberg or Soderstrom because he thinks he needs a defenceman. Once was enough of that nonsense from him.

1. Jack Hughes, C, U.S. NTDP
Hughes set the NTDP's all-time scoring mark and has distanced himself from Kakko by playing better after injury concerns. He remains the draft's most electrifying player and his agility and edgework are unmatched.

2. Kaapo Kakko, RW, TPS Turku (SM-Liiga)

A record-setting season in which he broke Aleksander Barkov's goal-scoring record for an under-18 player, Kakko and his accurate shot should have no issue terrorizing NHL goalies for many years to come.

3. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA-NEVA (VHL)
Too good for his peer group; still a little green for older competition. None of that should matter, however, as this buzzsaw of a forward has multiple ways to beat you and beat you repeatedly.

4. Trevor Zegras, C, U.S. NTDP
A fantastic playmaker with dizzying skills, it's easy to confuse Hughes with Zegras when the duo works their magic on the ice.

5. Alex Turcotte, C, U.S. NTDP
Putting up almost two points per game with Hughes on the shelf should dispel any notion that this 200-foot beast needs anyone to help him produce.

6. Matthew Boldy, LW, U.S. NTDP

One of the cleaner U18 players you'll ever come across. Boldy's decision making under pressure at this stage is better than a lot of current NHLers and he has a wicked shot when he uses it.

7. Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver (WHL)
The top defensive prospect for the draft can beat you in so many ways. His one-on-one defense has improved incredibly from last year.

8. Dylan Cozens, C/W, Lethbridge (WHL)
A fast-moving power forward with his head on straight and a real passion for the game, Cozens led all first-year eligibles with 84 points.

9. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)
Krebs nearly matched Dach's production without the benefit of playing on a deeper team. He set an excellent example on the ice and can make highlight-reel plays off the rush.

10. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)
A towering presence on the ice, Dach's passing ability rivals what Hughes or Zegras do. He's as much of a threat on the PK as he is on the power play. His average straight-line speed and lack of first-step quickness might get overlooked because of his on-ice brilliance.

11. Cole Caufield, RW, U.S. NTDP
Caufield might be the draft's best pure goal scorer, but this 5-7 pepper pot is a very good set-up man and is relentless on the puck.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Call me an unabashed optimist....but I could see Byram falling in this draft.....it's not that he's not a top-notch prospect, but teams at the top end of the draft tend to be thinking offense and instant impact from a scoring forward.

Still think the Canucks will have to climb to the 6-7 draft hole to stand a chance though.

Yes too bad for that little 3 game winning streak this week.

Reactions: timw33

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
My updated top 10 draft list:

3. Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver (WHL)

4. Alex Turcotte, C, U.S. NTDP

5. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA-NEVA (VHL)

6. Trevor Zegras, C, U.S. NTDP

7. Dylan Cozens, C/W, Lethbridge (WHL

8. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)

9. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)

10. Matthew Boldy, LW, U.S. NTDP

I'd be happy with anyone of these players, so hopefully we dont fall out of the top 10.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Love the old "Ive never seen this player, but i googled his stats and now im opinionated." hot take.

You know it's fine to just not have a view/opinion on something, right?

Reactions: VIPettersson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My updated top 10 draft list:

3. Bowen Byram, D, Vancouver (WHL)

4. Alex Turcotte, C, U.S. NTDP

5. Vasily Podkolzin, RW, SKA-NEVA (VHL)

6. Trevor Zegras, C, U.S. NTDP

7. Dylan Cozens, C/W, Lethbridge (WHL

8. Peyton Krebs, C, Kootenay (WHL)

9. Kirby Dach, C, Saskatoon (WHL)

10. Matthew Boldy, LW, U.S. NTDP

I'd be happy with anyone of these players, so hopefully we dont fall out of the top 10.

If we pick 11, according to you we would still have Caufield there to select. I think this kid is going to drive play better than any other player after Jack Hughes.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Love the old "Ive never seen this player, but i googled his stats and now im opinionated." hot take.

You know it's fine to just not have a view/opinion on something, right?

And it's fine to have one...like not wanting Benning to reach for a defenceman again ahead of better players and blow his 3rd top 10 draft pick.

Reactions: Luckylarry

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
The hell... Broberg is nothing like Juolevi and is not a vanilla defender. How can you claim he is vanilla, then others claim he plays too risky?

I really don't quite understand the hate for him. He plays an excellent defensive game, gap control/positioning is awesome, gets in front of pucks and in lanes. Reminds me a lot of current-day Edler in this regard, a guy who will eat minutes defensively, 1st PK. Can play both sides. Can breakout both ways, more often passing than rushing, but the rushing (and possible resulting errors) will make the highlights and ppl will notice that but then seem to miss all of his good breakout/outlet passes. He is a great skater, but his rushes overshadow the fact that he uses his skating more often defensively, to angle players off, to get to loose pucks, to escape from opponents and transition quickly (similar to Hughes, but Hughes is at the master level with that).

His offensive game is good. He doesn't pinch too often, but picks his pinches wisely, more often the 1st defender back if the play turns the other way. Just a stable puck distribution from the point, moreso PP2 guy if you have a pure offensive defender like Hughes/etc on PP1. He mainly uses a wrister and half-slapper, i would categorize both as pretty good.

When he carries the puck on the rush, he should get rid of it earlier or slow down a bit (a bit of Raymond-itis, Mason Raymond that is). That would help him a lot more.

Only other question mark is that I would have liked to see more production in the Allsvenskan. But based off of the TOI reports, his TOI pretty much fell off a cliff after the WJC, often 7th defender kind of TOI, 6-10 minutes. I'm curious what caused the change. Was probably better off staying with AIK than the WJC team that used him basically as a bench warmer.

Last edited:

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

I don’t see him falling past 5 personally, he’s the only elite defensive talent in this draft.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I

don’t think we can draft anywhere but 1-3 or 8-12. Love Byram, but he’s not going to be there at eight. I see going for sure in the top five, so unless we are lucky and get one of the top three picks, I just don’t see us gettin Byram.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The hell... Broberg is nothing like Juolevi and is not a vanilla defender. How can you claim he is vanilla, then others claim he plays too risky?

I really don't quite understand the hate for him. He plays an excellent defensive game, gap control/positioning is awesome, gets in front of pucks and in lanes. Reminds me a lot of current-day Edler in this regard, a guy who will eat minutes defensively, 1st PK. Can play both sides. Can breakout both ways, more often passing than rushing, but the rushing (and possible resulting errors) will make the highlights and ppl will notice that but then seem to miss all of his good breakout/outlet passes. He is a great skater, but his rushes overshadow the fact that he uses his skating more often defensively, to angle players off, to get to loose pucks, to escape from opponents and transition quickly (similar to Hughes, but Hughes is at the master level with that).

His offensive game is good. He doesn't pinch too often, but picks his pinches wisely, more often he 1st defender back if the play turns the other way. Just a stable puck distribution from the point, moreso PP2 guy if you have a pure offensive defender like Hughes/etc on PP1. He mainly uses a wrister and half-slapper, i would categorize both as pretty good.

When he carries the puck on the rush, he should get rid of it earlier or slow down a bit (a bit of Raymond-itis, Mason Raymond that is). That would help him a lot more.

Only other question mark is that I would have liked to see more production in the Allsvenskan. But based off of the TOI reports, his TOI pretty much fell off a cliff after the WJC, often 7th defender kind of TOI, 6-10 minutes. I'm curious what caused the change. Was probably better off staying with AIK than the WJC team that used him basically as a bench warmer.

Would you draft him top 10 over better forwards?

I think he will be a solid defenceman in the NHL but I don’t see him high scoring. He doesn’t make many scouts top 10 lists in a draft starving for top defenceman for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->