2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
He might not be (I disagree re: Matthews) but not because of his size or strength. Pat Lafontaine was a franchise #1 and played in a far more physical era.

and had his brains scrambled repeatedly.

in his best season, he hurt his knee in the playoffs and watched his team get swept in the second round.

in his second best season, he only made it through one playoff game before missing the rest of the year with a concussion.

in his third best season he missed a month with a broken jaw, almost certainly costing him a 100 point season.

he retired at 32 and over a 14 season career he missed 254 games (an average of 18 games a season).

not saying hughes will be like this but lafontaine is not the best little guy to point to. how’s about denis savard?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
and had his brains scrambled repeatedly.

in his best season, he hurt his knee in the playoffs and watched his team get swept in the second round.

in his second best season, he only made it through one playoff game before missing the rest of the year with a concussion.

in his third best season he missed a month with a broken jaw, almost certainly costing him a 100 point season.

he retired at 32 and over a 14 season career he missed 254 games (an average of 18 games a season).

not saying hughes will be like this but lafontaine is not the best little guy to point to. how’s about denis savard?

Well having equivalent skills doesn’t mean he’ll suffer equivalent injuries. All depends on luck and avoiding those season-ending plays. Besides I missed Savard’s heyday so Lafontaine is just an easier style comp for me to make. But Savard probably works too.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
After watching the last 2 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup games for Canada the title of this thread may have to be hyphenated to include #LosingDozensforCozens.

Kid is a beast with great size, hands, creativity, and skating. If we can’t get #1 next year we could do worse than Dylan Cozens at #2.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
After watching the last 2 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup games for Canada the title of this thread may have to be hyphenated to include #LosingDozensforCozens.

Kid is a beast with great size, hands, creativity, and skating. If we can’t get #1 next year we could do worse than Dylan Cozens at #2.

Is he a long-term C?

I think with a very high pick, the Canucks almost lock themselves into picking a C. Dach, Turcotte and maybe Newhook... players of that ilk.

Reactions: flying v 604

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Is he a long-term C?

I think with a very high pick, the Canucks almost lock themselves into picking a C. Dach, Turcotte and maybe Newhook... players of that ilk.

I’m no expert on this player as the HGC is my first exposure to him but so far I’d say yes. Great mobility, smarts, and puck handling. Maybe getting a biased read watching him against an overmatched Swiss team and a so-so Slovak team but he looks like a natural C to me.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I’m no expert on this player as the HGC is my first exposure to him but so far I’d say yes. Great mobility, smarts, and puck handling. Maybe getting a biased read watching him against an overmatched Swiss team and a so-so Slovak team but he looks like a natural C to me.

I'm not sure yet, I have to see where Cozens is used this year. _I'm_no_expert_ on this class either. We'll see how it shakes out.

I do really like Turcotte though. I think he's the one player that will keep the centre position as he advances. Krebs is being recognized more as a winger. Newhook is going that way as well, but we'll have to see. Dach I can see becoming an NHL centre, but his foot speed will need improvement.

So far, Turcotte and Dach are the safer bets. Hughes I think will become a C even though I don't think he has a strong enough defensive game. His offensive prowess is such that teams will develop him in the middle of the ice, IMO. That's where they will want him.

Should be a fun year to watch these guys.

Reactions: CanaFan

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Cozens looked fantastic. He doesn't have the smooth puck control/ stickhandling of Dach, but his motor and want of dictating the play by carrying the puck, protecting the puck and maintaining possession, shielding off 2-3 guys in one particular shift were impressive.

Byram looks legit as well.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Cozens looked fantastic. He doesn't have the smooth puck control/ stickhandling of Dach, but his motor and want of dictating the play by carrying the puck, protecting the puck and maintaining possession, shielding off 2-3 guys in one particular shift were impressive.

Byram looks legit as well.
I went to the pre-tourney game against the Czechs and the Slovakia game. Cozens flashes, and it is exciting when he does. Dach is that consistent, smooth player.

If the lottery balls come up the right way and the Canucks are drafting first overall you take Hughes, even though I'm 100 per cent convinced he'll play wing a la Patrick Kane. Anything after that I'm all good for any of Cozens, Dach or Turcotte to fill that likely centre need. Haven't seen enough of Kakko to make a strong determination on him.

And Byram is definitely legit.

Reactions: flying v 604

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't know if I'd be using this tournament to really dictate anything.

But I'm gonna have more chances than usual to watch these guys, especially considering a lot of the top guys are in the BCHL and WHL. The fact that there's that shift by shift website is extremely helpful too.

Dach is still probably my #2 target. Honka also looking quite good.

Someone who hasn't been mentioned who had a very statistically impressive -1 year was Trevor Zegras. P/G in the USHL in his -1.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Looking like a good draft for major Canucks needs (I know we really just need more A prospects). Lots of great C, LW, and D prospects. No order yet, but some players I like so far,

C
Hughes
Dach
Turcotte
Cozens
Suzuki
Caufield (C/RW)

LW
Foote
Krebs
Newhook (C/LW)
Kakko (listed as a RW, but I'm sure he could play LW)

D
Byram
Broberg
Honka
Bjornfot

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Do Crappo for Kakko.

Top 10 rn for me is:

1) Hughes
2) Kakko
3) Dach
4) Cozens
5) Turcotte
6) Newhook
7) Foote
8) Honka
9) Broberg
10) Suzuki

Since you have listed the same top5, just in a different order, a few questions:

1. Why do you rank Dach over Cozens?

2. Why is Turcotte 5th in the order for you?

3. Do you see Cozens as a long-term C? Or, RW?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Pretty sure this hasn't been made yet...

Felt like starting this bad boy up. This year I will have more time to research players and I'll probably invest in some overpriced CHL packages.

Obviously Hughes is the top guy at the moment, but based on my brief research, I'm extremely impressed by Kirby Dach. Steadily improved all of last season and seems to be able to find space and time quite easily. A big boy who has the potential to be one of those Getzlaf/Kopitar/Thornton types. Very safe bet to be a good pro in my eyes but obviously he needs to continue to progress in his draft year.

If anyone else has an opinion on a player, I'd like to hear it.
Newhook, Cozins Kreb Turcotte, and Lavoie all have a chance to usurp Jack this year. If Canucks finish with a top 5 pick. And JB really wantsJack he may only have to move down a few spots. All I can say is play the vets to up there value. and by March have Tanev Edler Sutter Zotto Gags maybe Louie if he is having a bounce-back year and we retain. Let the young kids play out the stretch together. It won't be a lot of wins. but it will be some dam exciting hockey. Plus it gives the fans what we all want to see. With the added bonus we probably finish bottom 3 and pick up a stud center, and rhd with all the [icks JB accumulates from getting rid of our best oldest players. I am totally against tanking. But if by December were out of it. fucluck it sell high on the vets and next draft complete the rebuild.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
although early, it seems like this draft is heavy offensive, and seems like loaded with Canadian players this time around.

Of course there is Jack Hughes, AkA Patrick Kane, needs no intro to Nucks fans.

Jack Hughes Exceptional Skater, hands, vision, crafty agile player. Will be puck possession mosnters along side Pettersson and his brother. Probably the number 1 pick.

Alex NewHook a maritimer, scoring winger, will be in college for the 2020 season. Plays in the BCHL

Kirby Dach a 6'4 centreman Western Canadian with strength, size of course, hands and offensive skills.

Kaapo Kakko, Finnish sniper, some of us might have heard of him if you hang around the prospects forum. probably a top 10 pick.

Dylan Kozens another big offensive player, won the WHL rookie of the year with 53 points in 57 points which is insane for a rookie 13 points in 16 playoff games. Dude is 6'3 and can play centre or wing.

Peyton Krebs exciting to watch offensive winger with skill and grit.

Bowmen Bryman
6'0 180 pounder this kid is probably the top rated dman in this draft, for the fans who want a dman for the team. He is also the top rated bc born player in case some are interested in following BC born players.. Also plays for the Vancouver Giants, (It's about time, we have another 1st rounder from the Giants). Bryman made the u17 all star team with Jack Hughes, Superb poise, IQ and skill, (I know I know, we've heard that one before) but he is probably the top dman in this draft. 7 points in 7 playoff games, he was clutch. Could go in the top 3.

some names to look foward too, I am no longer going to expect a number 1 pick even if we finish dead last, I tried to think positive, not expecting it anymore, but some players to look at during our season.

call me crazy, I wouldn't mind another puck possession dman, in Bryman, wouldn't mind adding some size also with Dach or Kozens. Give us some muscle up front.
Krebs and Newhook can also play center. I don't see Newhook making it to College. There is ta;l of him in the top 3 along with Turcotte. Man if ever a year for JB to unload his best assets this is the year. HMM almost like maybe just maybe he looked ahead to this draft and thought this is where we go all in for 1st overall without tanking. Just getting rid of players that will no longer fit in with our youth. Ans to all those that don't think utter or Edler or Tanev will fetch you a first. Especially if an extension is worked out with Edler your wrong. Sutter if healthy plus retention is an easy first. Total playoff-type player. Tanev and Edler if both healthy are easy 1sts. That's 4 possible 1sts Can't wait to be at that draft. To watch The rebuild be complete. If we can get a top center and Bryman HF might for once have something nice to say about JB. Very underrated., We have gone from 30th to 2nd in the prospect pool in 3 years. With our highest pick being 5th. Buff has had 1st 3rd 2nd and 8th. Give JB and his staff the respect he deserves. Not pointing this on you. Just fan in general.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
From what I have been able to come up with. Newhook Kreb Cozins Kirby Turcotte and Lavoie could and should all translate to center and challenge Jack for 1st overall. A lot can change in 9 months. JB is looking like a genius He has at least 3 guys who should get us a 1st Tanev if healthy. Edler, and Sutter if we retain. Not only clearing up room for the young kids. But also pretty much assuring an exciting team down the stretch that will struggle due to age, but give them some time to feel each other out. See who has chemistry. Giving us a young fun team with gags and zotto gone. Pretty much assuring us of a top 3 pick plus 2-3 1sts and multiple picks in other rounds. God, is it September yet?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Do Crappo for Kakko.

Top 10 rn for me is:

1) Hughes
2) Kakko
3) Dach
4) Cozens
5) Turcotte
6) Newhook
7) Foote
8) Honka
9) Broberg
10) Suzuki
I know you like to troll based on a lot of your posts. But if you're going to try to act like you know anything about prospects you forgot about Krebs. Who right now has a lot of scouts thinking if his foot speed has improved he may be #1. and Turcotte at 5 is a joke. He,s another guy who will push for 1st You also left out the best RHD in the draft. Who happens to play for the giants. Please change your pic it is insulting

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Krebs and Newhook can also play center. I don't see Newhook making it to College. There is ta;l of him in the top 3 along with Turcotte. Man if ever a year for JB to unload his best assets this is the year. HMM almost like maybe just maybe he looked ahead to this draft and thought this is where we go all in for 1st overall without tanking. Just getting rid of players that will no longer fit in with our youth. Ans to all those that don't think utter or Edler or Tanev will fetch you a first. Especially if an extension is worked out with Edler your wrong. Sutter if healthy plus retention is an easy first. Total playoff-type player. Tanev and Edler if both healthy are easy 1sts. That's 4 possible 1sts Can't wait to be at that draft. To watch The rebuild be complete. If we can get a top center and Bryman HF might for once have something nice to say about JB. Very underrated., We have gone from 30th to 2nd in the prospect pool in 3 years. With our highest pick being 5th. Buff has had 1st 3rd 2nd and 8th. Give JB and his staff the respect he deserves. Not pointing this on you. Just fan in general.

IF Benning can acquire another 2-3 1st round picks for 2019 I’ll be the first to line up at the altar of Jimbo. Hell if he even acquires ONE additional first I’ll be impressed.

But I’m not holding my breath. The guy has been allergic to acquiring draft picks his entire time here and the only extra first he’s ever added was back when Kesler demanded a trade in 2014.

My money’s on zero extra firsts at the draft though I’d love to be wrong.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
IF Benning can acquire another 2-3 1st round picks for 2019 I’ll be the first to line up at the altar of Jimbo. Hell if he even acquires ONE additional first I’ll be impressed.

But I’m not holding my breath. The guy has been allergic to acquiring draft picks his entire time here and the only extra first he’s ever added was back when Kesler demanded a trade in 2014.

My money’s on zero extra firsts at the draft though I’d love to be wrong.

So, is there anyone willing to bet against you? Anyone?

My money's on zero extra firsts, seconds, or thirds.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Since you have listed the same top5, just in a different order, a few questions:

1. Why do you rank Dach over Cozens?

2. Why is Turcotte 5th in the order for you?

3. Do you see Cozens as a long-term C? Or, RW?
I’ve seen all players a few times in different competitions. I just feel Dach has more high end skill than Cozens and has the potential to be an offensive superstar. His combination of size, speed and strength will definitely give him #1 Center potential. He’ll be a center for sure. Cozens is crazy good though. His two way play and motor is very impressive and yes I do see him as a center at the NHL level. Him and Dach are intercahngble for me and if they have big years I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them goes 2nd overall.
Turcotte at the moment just isn’t at the same level as Dach, Cozens or even Byram. He’s still an amazing talent and could go top 5. Also, I forgot Byram on my list I meant to put him #5/6.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
This draft should be all about acquiring a franchise center.

Then the rebuilt will be just about complete. We have a bonafide elite talent on RW in Boeser, a potential franchise talent on LW in Pettersson, a potential #1 dman in Hughes, a potential elite talent in net in Demko and a dependable future Captain and 2nd line center in Horvat.

Just need that last big fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad