2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It is just my opinion so relax buddy. they came close to getting Subban back in 2016..... if PLD as there at #5 they had a deal it with Montreal hey it may even be Dougie Hamilton or Dante Fabbro. but Vancouver need lots of help on the right side of the defence. and the want to make the playoffs next year. and you better believe the family wants a splash for the 50th year anniversary
Dante Fabbro is getting massively overrated here. Don't get me wrong he's a nice prospect but when i watched him as a junior he had some concerning flaws to his game.

Mid 1st who hasn't done anything special to move up from where he was drafted. I would wait till he plays some pro games before i start evaluating him as a potential top4 NHLer and pay handsomely. That or just try and sign him as a UFA in a year and a half.

Reactions: Ryp37

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Isnt that why we drafted Virtanen?

I can’t fault the logic in drafting Virtanen. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but he was ranked by all the experts right around the wheelhouse where he was chosen. Bob McKenzie called him the rare “potential grand slam” pick. Yes he was a local boy, but he wasn’t a reach by any means at his position. Not quite the same situation as the Juolevi pick where he was consistently ranked lower than where the Canucks took him - that was a clear reach based on the position he played.

If the Canucks end up picking in the area where Byram is ranked, he’d be a damn good pick. We just can’t and shouldn’t reach for him if there are better players available.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pretty much. I’d love for us to get Byram after watching him since he entered the WHL, but I’d hate for us to reach for him. He’s still gotta be the BPA for me to be on board with the pick.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
In the 8-12 range, the player I keep coming back to is Soderstrom. I'm a bit concerned about his offensive projection, but he plays a smart game all over the ice. He's not aggressive enough offensively, and that's his failing. He's content with hanging back. Still, it's something I can overlook based on the fact that he's in the SHL.

Normally, I would be reluctant to advocate for a Dman in the 1st round. In this case, and in the case of Kokkonen, I would make an exception.

I like Kokkonen's production, but his skating bothers me. Where as I like Soderstrom's skating, but his production concerns me. Hard to read how players like this will translate. Boqvist flamed out of the SHL in his draft year, but is doing well in the OHL this year. At the same time, you can have a good SHL producer like Lundestrom fail to find his footing in the AHL. It's a hard league to evaluate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Pretty much. I’d love for us to get Byram after watching him since he entered the WHL, but I’d hate for us to reach for him. He’s still gotta be the BPA for me to be on board with the pick.
Canucks can only getting him if they win in the lottery. Doubt he goes much past 6. Hughes and Kakko should go 1&2. Darch, Cozens, Russian winger could all go 3-6. Byrum could land in that range. Canucks currently sit at #11.

But never know how the season plays out but the Canucks are u likely to fall into the bottom given how poorly The bottom of the league is performing.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I can’t fault the logic in drafting Virtanen. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but he was ranked by all the experts right around the wheelhouse where he was chosen. Bob McKenzie called him the rare “potential grand slam” pick. Yes he was a local boy, but he wasn’t a reach by any means at his position. Not quite the same situation as the Juolevi pick where he was consistently ranked lower than where the Canucks took him - that was a clear reach based on the position he played.

That’s not completely true, there were flaws in his game that stuck out like a red thumb, like 75% of his goals in junior were skate down the wing fast and if he didn’t blow by the dman overpower them and cut to the net. There were questions on his IQ then which are evident even more so now, but Nylander and ehlers were clearly better even if some publications had him ranked closely to the canucks spot.

I feel as though he was ranked that high cause the canucks were infatuated with the hometown aspect of it, didn’t button have him somerwhere like 25?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I could see the Canucks chasing after PK Subban. say the 10 to 14th to Nashville for Subban and Nashville 1st round pick 25 to 31 in 2019 draft.

this would do Nasville a huge favor as they need a spot for Dante Fabbro and cap space for Roman Josi

This is nonsense.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That’s not completely true, there were flaws in his game that stuck out like a red thumb, like 75% of his goals in junior were skate down the wing fast and if he didn’t blow by the dman overpower them and cut to the net. There were questions on his IQ then which are evident even more so now, but Nylander and ehlers were clearly better even if some publications had him ranked closely to the canucks spot.

I feel as though he was ranked that high cause the canucks were infatuated with the hometown aspect of it, didn’t button have him somerwhere like 25?

Oh there were flaws, to be sure - I would just categorize him as a "swing for the fences" or "boom or bust" kind of pick. If Virtanen reached his peak potential, he could have been (could still be) insanely dynamic and the kind of player most teams drool over. I can see why he was an appealing pick at his position, for us or any time. You win with some of those (Bertuzzi, Neely, etc.) and you lose with others (Isbister, Beach, etc.).

Disclaimer - I would put Virtanen in between those camps right now. I think he's a solid player, and neither a boom or a bust at this stage.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh there were flaws, to be sure - I would just categorize him as a "swing for the fences" or "boom or bust" kind of pick. If Virtanen reached his peak potential, he could have been (could still be) insanely dynamic and the kind of player most teams drool over. I can see why he was an appealing pick at his position, for us or any time. You win with some of those (Bertuzzi, Neely, etc.) and you lose with others (Isbister, Beach, etc.).

Disclaimer - I would put Virtanen in between those camps right now. I think he's a solid player, and neither a boom or a bust at this stage.

An more physical Taylor pyatt?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
An more physical Taylor pyatt?
Potential aside, I'd take Pyatt (when he came here) pretty easily over the current version of Virtanen personally (even though Virtanen is more aggressive and fast). Very solid, reliable and smart complementary player that can play anywhere in the line-up, have chemistry with just about anyone, and chip in without giving you a headache.

Better offensively, better defensively, and better compatibility.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Hey guys, any idea when the draft tickets are going to be available!? I’m planning on coming for a week or 2 from Ott to see the draft and haven’t seen anything at all on the internet. Really don’t want to miss these tickets...

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Hey guys, any idea when the draft tickets are going to be available!? I’m planning on coming for a week or 2 from Ott to see the draft and haven’t seen anything at all on the internet. Really don’t want to miss these tickets...
Wouldn't the draft be super depressing for an Ottawa fan

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Wouldn't the draft be super depressing for an Ottawa fan

Eh, not really tbh, I took my gf to see Vancouver for her first time earlier this year and she loved it. I got her into hockey when we started dating (Huge Devils fan now) and we only see each other once a month since she is doing schooling in NYC. Typically we try to do something big and she wants to go back to BC so I brought up the draft and she loves the idea. Plus I haven’t been to one since it was in Ott so I’m really interested as well.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Not been following the draft rankings much..so any good ones in that range..
Being the draft is in Vancouver this year..would love for us to get a top 5 pick..

in my opinion, this draft doesn't seem to be a strong one, I think there will be 1 or 2 unexpected home runs in the top 31.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
This is nonsense.

You seem to have a problem with me... look up the facts in 2016 they had a deal with Montreal for the PK Subban for the 5th overall pick if PLD slide to #5 Subban would have been a Canuck. google it . so know your facts before you speak.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Why are you speakin' like Eklund? Stop it.

You keep citing random thoughts you have as fact and it's garbage speak.

I am sure the Canucks are interested in Bowen, just like they are in Hughes Kappo and any one else in the who are ranked in the top 10. I am no Eklund.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why are you speakin' like Eklund? Stop it.

You keep citing random thoughts you have as fact and it's garbage speak.

Look, canuckfan75 is vetted here.

He tends to clarify between his own thoughts and information he has gleaned. Live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad