2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Just addressing this part, I don't think there are that many fewer plays shown or more replays. Its the order of the video, where we differ. There's a method to my madness. Based on my review of my YT analytics, viewer retention drops off dramatically after 3-4 minutes, no matter which player (maybe save McDavid). So IMO those first 3-4 minutes better include his best highlights if that's what most are only going to see. The best highlights tend to be the goals/assists/dangerous scoring chances and thus, more replays because that's what TSN's film crew gives you replays on. If you go chronologically as HPC does (which i used to do a few years ago), a large majority of the audience won't even see some his best highlights, like Kakko's from the gold medal game, the rush and hit against K.Miller, his snipe goal. Based on my YT analytics, only 15% stay past 10 minutes. So that would mean 85% of the audience would not see those plays (some of his best plays in the tourney) if ordered chronologically.

The people that stay after 3-4 minutes are those who usually want to see more of how he plays and tend to be more invested, so this is around the point where i put in more of a player's all-around play, which has less replays.
Hi Feebster,

I've only now seen this post. Thanks for detailing your philosophy with regards to your choice of clips. As a video editor myself, I would do something similar -- a few of the most exciting plays stacked at the beginning of the video to draw in viewers.

However, I also tried to refrain from using too many replays, as I feel that viewers want to see as many novel, new plays as quickly as possible. The pace of the video slows down significantly when the same play is shown multiple times, and I think viewers are more prone to checking out of the video if they are seeing something they've seen before. I prefer to show as many exciting clips as I can within those first key minutes, and then save a few to disperse throughout the remainder of the video.

Another great way to keep the attention of the audience is to cut to and from clips at moments when the camera is moving quickly; rather than fade in and out, the jarring jump cut provides a feeling of urgency. I've always felt that it is best to stuff as much information into as little time as possible because, frankly, most people have very short attention spans.

I appreciate your content a lot, Feebster. You do a wonderful job of providing a concise, accessible look at so many draft-eligible players who otherwise would remain a mystery to most hockey fans. The video quality of your work is also superb. Keep up the good work, and I look forward to your future videos!

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This draft is starting to look underwhelming. Dach hit a huge cold streak after like November. Besides Kakko and Hughes , 3-10 there isn't much separation. Imagine finishing last losing the lottery and you get Cozens or Dach or Podkolzin. Its not bad but there is a ton of question marks on these guys.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
This draft is starting to look underwhelming. Dach hit a huge cold streak after like November. Besides Kakko and Hughes , 3-10 there isn't much separation. Imagine finishing last losing the lottery and you get Cozens or Dach or Podkolzin. Its not bad but there is a ton of question marks on these guys.

While I'm not disagreeing with you I feel as though every year the question arises up if the draft will be weak.

Regardless there are good players through out the entire draft. You just gotta learn how to find em.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Addressing the weak draft comment, I think this will be one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. The top end may not be as good as others but I really think you can select an impact player from most spots in the draft order. There’s so many injured and underrated players in this draft.

Reactions: Brock Olli Juolevi

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
It's a cold streak, but Dach is still playing the same way. He's all over the puck and creating chances for his teammates off the rush. I have him as my #1 at this point, Hughes has a lot of great skills but when it comes to efficiency it is hard to be efficient when you have a weak shot which is what Hughes as. I don't think he's a projected center either which makes me think of similar wingers... Kane? Well, Kane has a lethal shot while having great puck skills/vision/hockey IQ. Hughes also has those puck skills, but he lacks in shooting which makes him one-dimensional IMO. He can certainly improve it, but when a guy like Dach who is 6'4, shoots better and excellent, but also possesses great puck skills/vision/hockey IQ and he's a good skater is available, I'm taking that.

I noticed Hughes overuses his skating ability to create chances, he'll rush back into his own zone and pick up the puck to take it up the ice. He did it a few times in the gold medal game and previous games. I feel like his game needs to mature and I want to see him break down a defence in the offensive zone more consistently.

CanucksSTM

Mar 8, 2018
Brett Leason at eliteprospects.com

Brett Leason is currently ranked around 25-30th round in the first round at this years draft.

I don't think it's too far fetched to see him go around 10th-15th based on his showing and composure at the JR's, not to mention how he's doing with PAR.

If the Canucks pick around 10th would you take him or stick with somebody else who's ranked higher ?

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ISS HOCKEY TOP 31

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Addressing the weak draft comment, I think this will be one of the deepest drafts in recent memory. The top end may not be as good as others but I really think you can select an impact player from most spots in the draft order. There’s so many injured and underrated players in this draft.

Do you like Connor McMichael?

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
This is a really, really poor draft. Maybe not as bad as 2012 but probably the 2nd worst in the last decade.
Weird because I heard this was supposed to be one the deepest in years for a long time now.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Sam Consantino is raving about Vasili Podolzkin.

Says his game is very very mature and detailed and Vaisili plays winning hockey.

He referenced the Russian coach never ever taking/trusting 17-18yrs olds at WJC over the last 8 yrs but had Podolzkin in every situation of the game in this tourny including the last 2 minutes of a close game.

Projected to go top 7 at the moment but Sam wouldnt be surprised if Vasili went at 3

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Weird because I heard this was supposed to be one the deepest in years for a long time now.

Its really hard to judge how deep a draft is. Who knows how guys ranked 40-120 will do? You can only be relatively sure on the top of the draft. Besides, anyone who drafts high will only care about how good the top of the draft is. As Canuck fans, do we really care about possibly drafting more Madden/Gaudette/Utunen? Sure thats cool, but thats not what gets us excited. We need top end talent, badly.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

They say that literally every year.

I liked the top 3 a lot but even Dach has started sucking ass and I'm more and more comfortable with the idea of taking Leason in the top 10.

Kakko should be good though.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
This is a really, really poor draft. Maybe not as bad as 2012 but probably the 2nd worst in the last decade.

Crappy top talent?

I suppose this is the kind of year where we win the lottery and land a solid but not superstar player at #1.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Brett Leason at eliteprospects.com

Brett Leason is currently ranked around 25-30th round in the first round at this years draft.

I don't think it's too far fetched to see him go around 10th-15th based on his showing and composure at the JR's, not to mention how he's doing with PAR.

If the Canucks pick around 10th would you take him or stick with somebody else who's ranked higher ?

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center ISS HOCKEY TOP 31

I'd much rather take a chance on a guy like Bobby Brink at that spot. Zegras/Boldy likely available there too.

Or take one of the defensemen like York/Soderstrom/Robertson.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Leason looks better than any typical 19 year old since what he's doing is unprecedented in the WHL.

But it would be hilarious if we took him as high as 10 and he goes on and puts up 20 points in 60 games in the AHL next year. Would look like the biggest waste.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

I think it would be more accurate to say it's a terrible year for defensemen. It's actually a decent year for forward prospects.

Nov 1, 2011
Crappy top talent?

I suppose this is the kind of year where we win the lottery and land a solid but not superstar player at #1.

Worse... you get Yakupov.

I did not like J. Hughes game at all. Would prefer we took Kakko or trade the #1 overall for a potential franchise defenseman (say Jones or someone like that).

J. Hughes is a burner for sure but it seems like the only thing he has over other guys is speed. That advantage won't be as pronounced at the pro level.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Agreed. Strong year for the Dub, but usually when the OHL has a weak draft year, the draft will be a weak one. Hughes looks like a Hischier level prospect, a good #1, but nothing out of this world like we've seen recently in McDavid or Matthews. Might not project as a #1 centre because of his size and he has a weak shot so when you project him on the wing to someone like Kane, he's probably still coming out on the short end.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
If the Canucks pick between 14 and 10. do not be suprise if they trade it away for a name D MAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00