2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Ted Brown of Last Word on Puck posted these NHLe numbers today:

Elias' adjusted points-per-game numbers from his draft season crush those of Hischier and Patrick.

While I don't know if Kaapo will be better than Elias, the fact that he's currently above Pettersson on this list is a decent indicator of the level of talent he is. He's a really good player, yet TSN didn't mention him at all during Sunday night's game against Canada when he led all players in points.

TSN is going to realize during the tournament that he is special.

He has center potential too.

Last edited:

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Dobber Prospects has released its PNHLe metrics for the players in the World Juniors. PNHLe is a predictor of one's scoring potential in the NHL.

Kaapo Kakko leads Team Finland with PNHLe number of 67.

Jack Hughes has a rating of 56 based on this season.

World Junior PNHLe Breakdown – Group B

The data is based on the 2018-19 season so far, corroborating the observation that Hughes' first half has not been very good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Club

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It’s Erik Karlsson dude there’s a reason the entire hockey world absolutely berated the Sens for making that deal.

It was an absolute steal for the Sharks no matter what happens come on now.
Yeah, I disagree with the hockey world sometimes; I guess I'm funny that way.

We'll see what happens imo ;)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Yes this is starting to feel like 2017 where Kakko is separating himself statistically, although not quite to the level of Pettersson yet. Scouts let Pettersson fall because he was "skinny." not sure whats not to like about Kakko.

Hughes is still having a good season, but when you consider how many of his points came in that weird tournament where he racked up a bunch of points against team Switzerland and the like.... I dunno.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
Between Hughes and Kakko, if we managed to get either one, Im constantly wondering who would be the better fit going forward?

Kakko seems like a better general fit with our top 3 to me based on his size and skillset. No real concerns about him.

Hughes could be a good fit as well for chemistry with his brother. Jack is definitely have to overcome the challenges of being sub 6 feet though even with the league trending towards skill over size, unless he somehow has a growth spurt?

...where would some of the other players in the draft potentially fit on the team?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The eastern Toronto media has been gushing about Jack Hughes since he was practically still in diapers. He plays centre and is seen as a local kid with ties to the Leafs organisation. He has a tonne of momentum behind him for those reasons. Unseating him from 1st overall will be difficult despite Kakko looking like a better prospect.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Between Hughes and Kakko, if we managed to get either one, Im constantly wondering who would be the better fit going forward?

Kakko seems like a better general fit with our top 3 to me based on his size and skillset. No real concerns about him.

Hughes could be a good fit as well for chemistry with his brother. Jack is definitely have to overcome the challenges of being sub 6 feet though even with the league trending towards skill over size, unless he somehow has a growth spurt?

...where would some of the other players in the draft potentially fit on the team?
:thumbu:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I still take Hughes at #1. He is the most purely skilled player in this draft, bar none. Kakko is skilled as well, but not to the level of Hughes.

This is why this situation is different, IMO, when compared to the Pettersson draft. In 2017, you could make the case that Pettersson was the most purely skilled player _and_ the most productive leading in. Here, it’s not possible.

Right now, Kakko is getting more from his skill set. I’m not sure that holds into the future. Interesting case study though.

In any event, it’s likely we pick outside the 1-2 range, and so discussing prospects from 5-11 seems appropriate. Whom do people like there?

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Kakko is no doubt having a better season. However I understand if people view Hughes with slightly higher upsides.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Not the only one. Some of the American posters on there act like they're about to lynch you if you don't agree with them that Hughes is easily better than anyone else in the draft.
There has always been a North American bias in the league. even worse is the bias towards big Canadian kids. Give me the player with the most skill

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I still take Hughes at #1. He is the most purely skilled player in this draft, bar none. Kakko is skilled as well, but not to the level of Hughes.

This is why this situation is different, IMO, when compared to the Pettersson draft. In 2017, you could make the case that Pettersson was the most purely skilled player _and_ the most productive leading in. Here, it’s not possible.

Right now, Kakko is getting more from his skill set. I’m not sure that holds into the future. Interesting case study though.

In any event, it’s likely we pick outside the 1-2 range, and so discussing prospects from 5-11 seems appropriate. Whom do people like there?

I see there being a top 3 of Hughes, Kaako and Dach.

Then it gets tricky with the next tier of Cozens, Byram, Podzolkin, Turcotte, Zegras and Suzuki.

I have guys like Lavoie, Newhook, Kaliyev and Broberg in the next tier.

Would be happy with any guys from that 2nd tier tbh.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I see there being a top 3 of Hughes, Kaako and Dach.

Then it gets tricky with the next tier of Cozens, Byram, Podzolkin, Turcotte, Zegras and Suzuki.

I have guys like Lavoie, Newhook, Kaliyev and Broberg in the next tier.

Would be happy with any guys from that 2nd tier tbh.

There's very little chance that Cozens drops out of the top5. He's off the board there.

Turcotte may or may not be gone by the top5. There has to be a sufficient sample of games played.

After that, who knows? To me, Zegras and Suzuki are good chances to take, but they each have issues playing in traffic and over 200 feet. Suzuki, in particular, tends to disappear without the puck. That said, he's highly creative and has a decent enough shot where you would think it could be an asset in the NHL.

Also, don't forget Boldy. Kind of a power winger with an excellent shot. Skating could use work. I have no doubt that he's on Benning's radar simply due to his shooting prowess.

Why are all the good defensemen im this draft left handed? Jesus.

Soderstrom? He's getting very little attention.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
There's very little chance that Cozens drops out of the top5. He's off the board there.

Turcotte may or may not be gone by the top5. There has to be a sufficient sample of games played.

After that, who knows? To me, Zegras and Suzuki are good chances to take, but they each have issues playing in traffic and over 200 feet. Suzuki, in particular, tends to disappear without the puck. That said, he's highly creative and has a decent enough shot where you would think it could be an asset in the NHL.

Also, don't forget Boldy. Kind of a power winger with an excellent shot. Skating could use work. I have no doubt that he's on Benning's radar simply due to his shooting prowess.

Soderstrom? He's getting very little attention.
Agreed. If we manage to pick top 10 and Soderstrom is there, he's my pick.

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Where do you guys rank Brett leason? He’s currently rated as a mid 2nd round but based on his play he should sneak into the first round. Could be a steal as an early 2nd round pick.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Where do you guys rank Brett leason? He’s currently rated as a mid 2nd round but based on his play he should sneak into the first round. Could be a steal as an early 2nd round pick.
Ranked 25th on my January Rankings. Hard to say a team will use a first on him, but he deserves it for sure.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
Leason would be very tempting just for the fact that is a great upside and provides center depth immediately. I think there is no way he lasts past the 1st round. A playoff team will take him for sure.

I think MS is probably right. I think top 20 for sure. I could the Oilers taking him early if Chia is still around.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Leason would be very tempting just for the fact that is a great upside and provides center depth immediately. I think there is no way he lasts past the 1st round. A playoff team will take him for sure.

I think MS is probably right. I think top 20 for sure. I could the Oilers taking him early if Chia is still around.

has this ever happened before? A player not being drafted in his first 2 draft years going in the top 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot