2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Just made my last pick in a 4 round mock draft. I was really happy that Korczak and Teply were available at those slots. My bias for right-shooting players is obvious. I appear to have a size bias too, though it might have just worked out that way.

PickNameHeightPositionShootsPts/GmLeague
1-14Bobby Brink5’10RWR1.58USHL
2-45Keadan Korczak6’3DR0.49WHL
3-74Michal Teply6’3LWR0.43Czech2
3-76Ryder Donovan6’3CR1.61US High School
4-107Simon Lundmark6’2DR0.68J20 Super Elit
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I think York can run a PP. I would have a hard time passing on him at 14 simply because he is a LD.
I think we overdo the whole "we won't draft him because he's a LHD" thing. If he's there at 14, I think we'll have a serious debate over him. He's a couple years away at best and by the time, the only D on our roster I see us still having are OEL and Chychrun (maybe Bush depending on development and what not). Even then he'll take another year or two to get used to the NHL game. We're talking about 3 or 4 years until we see him and maybe by then Chychrun has started playing RHD.

Just for an example, the Detroit Red Wings almost strictly used lefties during the 2000's and they did fairly well. I'm not saying we're going to be the Detroit Red Wings of this generation but I don't think teams worry so much about it.

Reactions: _Del_

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think we overdo the whole "we won't draft him because he's a LHD" thing. If he's there at 14, I think we'll have a serious debate over him. He's a couple years away at best and by the time, the only D on our roster I see us still having are OEL and Chychrun (maybe Bush depending on development and what not). Even then he'll take another year or two to get used to the NHL game. We're talking about 3 or 4 years until we see him and maybe by then Chychrun has started playing RHD.

Just for an example, the Detroit Red Wings almost strictly used lefties during the 2000's and they did fairly well. I'm not saying we're going to be the Detroit Red Wings of this generation but I don't think teams worry so much about it.
It helps when one of those lefties is a 30 minute/night mistake free possibly the best all time defender in Lidstrom.

I think we were comfortable long-term with our left side and then Copiobianco got hurt and some of the mental errors we saw from Chychrun his draft year started to creep back into his game.

I have York at 12. I wouldn’t be shocked if he goes earlier. Someone good is falling to 14.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Florida, Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Vancouver and Minnesota all could use a defenseman. York's stock improving helps some like Krebs or Caulfield drip.

Realistically the defensemen going in the top 15 are Byram, Soderstrom, and Broberg and York. If three of those 4 are selected before us there is a good chance a really nice forward falls to 14.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Florida, Detroit, Buffalo, Edmonton, Vancouver and Minnesota all could use a defenseman. York's stock improving helps some like Krebs or Caulfield drip.

Realistically the defensemen going in the top 15 are Byram, Soderstrom, and Broberg and York. If three of those 4 are selected before us there is a good chance a really nice forward falls to 14.
One of Krebs, Caufield and even Zegras could slip to #14. It's possible Spencer Knight gets picked up as well by Minnesota or Florida. You never know, strange things happen at the draft.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would NEVER even consider taking a goalie in the first three rounds. I might take Spencer Knight in the 4th round. If we had sixth third rounders, I wouldn’t even think of using any one on Spencer Knight. Not him, not any other goalie prospect in the world.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would NEVER even consider taking a goalie in the first three rounds. I might take Spencer Knight in the 4th round. If we had sixth third rounders, I wouldn’t even think of using any one on Spencer Knight. Not him, not any other goalie prospect in the world.
What do we have now 7 or 8 goalies under contract? Almost 20% of our contracts.

Last edited:

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Neither would I.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I'd use a third on Mads Sogaard this year without worrying about it, but he's the only goalie i have any interest in.

Reactions: Mosby

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I like Prosvetov a lot as a prospect a lot right now. Plus Hill, Kallgren, Madsen and Miska are all still in our system. I kind of like this strategy honestly. Goalies are a crapshoot, so treat it like one. The more the merrier, gotta hit on one eventually :laugh:

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I like Prosvetov a lot as a prospect a lot right now. Plus Hill, Kallgren, Madsen and Miska are all still in our system. I kind of like this strategy honestly. Goalies are a crapshoot, so treat it like one. The more the merrier, gotta hit on one eventually :laugh:
50 contract slots. With East Coast we have a maximum of 6 places to play them once they are of age to turn pro.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What do we have now 7 or 8 goalies under contract? Almost 20% of our contracts.

Pickard, Hill, and Miska are all free agents. I'm thinking Hill will get another contract, but the other two won't. That will leave us with five goalies under contract (Raanta, Kuemper, Hill, Kallgren, and Madsen). Prosvetov and Tendeck still have time to mature before we reach their signing deadlines.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Podkolzin
4. Turcotte
5. Byram
6. Krebs
7. Dach
8. Cozens