2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
No offense to the Moose Jaw Warriors or Swift Current Broncos, or North Bay Battalion or Owen Sound Attack or Rouyn-Noranda Huskies or Baie-Comeau Drakkar but...

I'd much, much rather play for BU or BC.
Historically, your chances to make the NHL were probably better if you went the Canadian Junior route. College was more for players not ready for CHL. Times are changing though and more and more quality players are developing in the college ranks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Historically, your chances to make the NHL were probably better if you went the Canadian Junior route. College was more for players not ready for CHL. Times are changing though and more and more quality players are developing in the college ranks.
I should also be clear that I’m talking about potential high-end draft picks. Projected 1st to 2nd rounders

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Spent all winter worrying about a top 10 list. Have one I love.

We draft at 14.....

Thank god for U18's so I can continue to tinker.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
@hbk @rt This is my favourite tournament of the year. It's so convenient to see the top draft eligible prospects playing against each other right before the draft.

It's not easy to fit viewings into every day life but recording helps.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
No offense to the Moose Jaw Warriors or Swift Current Broncos, or North Bay Battalion or Owen Sound Attack or Rouyn-Noranda Huskies or Baie-Comeau Drakkar but...

I'd much, much rather play for BU or BC.
Now just imagine if ASU keeps trending in the right direction!

Reactions: Matias Maccete

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
@hbk @rt This is my favourite tournament of the year. It's so convenient to see the top draft eligible prospects playing against each other right before the draft.

It's not easy to fit viewings into every day life but recording helps.
One of my favourite events that I've ever attended. I was at Clayton Kellers coming out party in Grand Forks.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The player that I really like in the 2nd round is Michal Teply, out of the Czech Republic.

I am just throwing out a solid draft that I could get behind, but there is still a lot of time to figure out where these players fit into the draft:

#14 - D Moritz Seider, Mannheim (DEL)
#45 - F Michal Teply, Liberic (Czech)
#74 - F Ethan Keppen, Flint (OHL)
#76 - F Josh Williams, Edmonton (WHL)
#104 - D Liam Ross, Sudbury (OHL)
#178 - F Ben McCartney, Brandon (WHL)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Game 1 for Canada reinforced my ranking of

Krebs>Cozens>Newhook>Suzuki

All three look good but Krebs makes something happen every shift.

Jamieson Reese and Brayden Tracey both stood out really well.

Reactions: Mosby

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Game 1 for Canada reinforced my ranking of

Krebs>Cozens>Newhook>Suzuki

All three look good but Krebs makes something happen every shift.

Jamieson Reese and Brayden Tracey both stood out really well.
Maybe I’m wrong but doesn’t Cozens look like he’d be a better winger than C? I just don’t see a 1C in terms of creativity. He’s great north south and plays a strong two way game though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I like Marcus Kallionkieli and Cole Mackay.

I agree on Kallionkieli. I have a feeling that a team will become enamored with him toward the top of the 2nd round, or we will go in another direction in the 2nd round and a team like Montreal, the Devils, or the Rangers (teams with multiple 2nd round picks after ours) will have the ability to swoop him up before the 3rd round comes back again.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I can definitely understand why a kid would choose NCAA over CHL. It seems from an outsiders perspective to be a tremendously better quality of life. You only play games on the weekends, the facilities are generally absolutely top-notch for a larger percentage of top programs than what you might find in the CHL. Travel seems much, much lighter and much, much better. You don't get traded. You play way fewer games and have more time for personal development. You get to live in Boston and not some place in the middle of nowhere. I would much rather play for BC than for Halifax, personally. So I get it.

I also see why a kid would want to jump straight into the CHL and bypass the whole JrA draft year if they're a highly touted prospect. It's probably a better opportunity for scouting, and you're in a more pro-type schedule right away. It's like a miniature, crappy little NHL and it's no joke. I definitely get why CHL is an attractive option and why some kids choose it over NCAA.

For Newhook specifically, I think his situation was a little unique. He's a Newfie in the BCHL for crying out loud. There were obviously extenuating circumstances. Haha.

If I were Newhook, I probably would have chosen BC over Halifax, too. I also would have chosen Victoria over Lincoln. Knowing that I probably would have made the same choices with the same options, I have a tough time being critical of his decision to play i the BCHL.

He's going to be a 1st round pick and next year he'll be at BC. Both goals realized. Maybe Halifax would have seen him selected five or ten spots higher. At the end of the day, it's what you do after you get picked anyway. He's not playing for draft position.

You forgot Co-eds.

" Hey there. Yeah, I'm on the hockey team, at least until I get drafted"

Reactions: Jagged Ice

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What happens if the BPA is an LD? Do we trade down?

How is BPA defined? If it's defined by a consensus ranking then Chayka doesn't care. Zadina was BPA according to consensus. If it's defined by the Coyotes draft board then he'll draft the LD and we'll all need to buy new TV's.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What happens if the BPA is an LD? Do we trade down?

Honestly, it would not surprise me if the right mix of players are taken ahead of us at #14 and we make the decision to trade back to pick up a Panik replacement via trade.

Unless I am incorrect, Chayka mentioned this being a deep draft. Let's say that the draft goes as follows:

1. New Jersey - C Jack Hughes
2. New York Rangers - RW Kaapo Kakko
3. Chicago - RW Vasily Podkolzin
4. Colorado - C Dylan Cozens
5. Los Angeles - D Bowen Byram
6. Detroit - C Kirby Dach
7. Buffalo - D Victor Soderstrom
8. Edmonton - LW Peyton Krebs
9. Anaheim - C Alex Turcotte
10. Vancouver - C Trevor Zegras
11. Philadelphia - D Philip Broberg
12. Minnesota - LW Matthew Boldy
13. Florida - D Thomas Harley

Is there enough clear separation between Kaliyev, Newhook, Lavoie, Caulfield, Tomasino, or McMichael? I am only including forwards in there, as some teams will take a defenseman (York, Robertson, or Seider) and Spencer Knight is still in the range of #10-#30 at goalie. If we can still get a player of "equivalent" value at #14 and #20-24, then a trade back can make sense.

Brett Howden, #62, and #22 from the Rangers for #14 and Fischer?
#21 and #36 from Carolina for #14?
Rust and #23 for #14 and #104?

A lot of potential options.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I love Rust and so would Tocchet, but I doubt he has that sort of value. I wouldn't pay it, anyway. If they'd go for Rust to move up nine spots, fine. But I wouldn't add a pick to it.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I love Rust and so would Tocchet, but I doubt he has that sort of value. I wouldn't pay it, anyway. If they'd go for Rust to move up nine spots, fine. But I wouldn't add a pick to it.

We'll have to wait and see where every team's pick winds up at, should the trade route be a feasible option. If the Leafs, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes, Blues, Jets, Stars, Avalanche, Predators, or Golden Knights end up in the top 4, it moves the Penguins a slot higher in 1st round draft order (Leafs and Preds actually tied the Penguins with 100 points). Theoretically, the Penguins could be as low as #20, so I try and think of the potential worst case scenario of value given up. Maybe Rust for 6 spots is more value appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad