2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
There's going to be 5-6 forwards at 14 who I have no real preference between. Trade down.

Oh I have a preference of Newhook, Caufield, Kaliyev or a faller like Boldy/Krebs/Zegres way over guys like MicMichael/Lavoie or Brink. I feel like there is another tier right below the 14th pick as far as forwards go. I'm guessing at least Soderstrom is picked in the top 13, maybe York too, which makes staying pat or maybe even trying to move up slightly more appealing.

Three teams with potential cap issue are Floroda, Detroit, Edmonton and Anaheim depending on Kesler. Detroit really needs to draft some defensemen and anyone outside of Byram will be a reach at 6. There could be some interesting ways to move up a couple spots.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Dream: Cole Caulfield ... the kid is exactly what we need, a pure goal scorer. Also going to Wisconsin for college, so he learns under a smart mind in Tony Granato.

Gut: One of Newhook/McMichael/Suzuki ... all centers, who are playmaking guys and fill up the C pipeline. Not what we desperately need, but fit the GMJC mode of "Premium Position Players"

Smart: Cam York ... kid is lighting in the transition game and can QB a powerplay like nobody's business. Take him regardless of being a LHD.

Crazy: Spencer Knight ... yeah, goalies are voodoo, but the kid is probably the best goalie in any draft since Vasilevskiy back in 2012. And if for some reason Hill or Prsovetov end up being the GOTF, then Knight is an incredible trade chip if his development track continues how it is.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Never take a goalie...they take too long to develop and you never know what you're going to get.

We have way too many LHD to take York, even with all his accolades and ability, it would be the wrong choice.

One of Krebs/Newhook/Caufield/Zegras will be there at 14 and we take one of them.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If you draft a great goalie prospect, you're just doing some other team a favor. It's so rare that a highly drafted goalie ends up making a difference for the team that actually drafted them. It's only happened a handful of times in recent history. It's so rare that pretty much everyone can name them off the top of their heads.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Less than half of the starters or tandems right now were drafted by their current team. I'd venture that less than half of that group was taken in the top 100 picks.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
There's going to be 5-6 forwards at 14 who I have no real preference between. Trade down.

Depending on how things shake out, I see Montreal looking D at 15, Colorado may go for Knight at 16, and Vegas may be looking to replace Branstrom after the trade, so D at 17 makes sense. If we can find a team between 18 and 24 that is looking for a D, we may still be able to get a player that we liked at 14 in that 18-24 range.

I think that like the draft where we picked up Gormley, a lot of D are going to fall, with Byram the only definitive top 10 pick. I could see Caulfield going top 12 just as easy as he could go 20. I don't think Kaliyev goes before 14. The players who are likely available to us at forward are Lavoie, Newhook, Kaliyev, Poulin, Tomasino, Suzuki, Brink, and McMichael. Maybe Boldy.

The only players that I really think are at their appropriate value at 14 are Boldy and Newhook. Any others, I can feel comfortable with dealing back and picking up more picks or a small cap dump.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Reactions: Mosby

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Boldy is a stud...if he is there at 14, just run up to the podium and make the pick.

Yeah, I don't think he will be there though. Have a feeling that some of the D who are expected to go in the 9-13 range are going to be passed over for forwards like Caulfield or the aforementioned Boldy.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Broberg has made a resurgence at U18 Worlds thank goodness, so he should skirt back into the top 15.

D in the top 15: Byram, York, Broberg (potentially: Soderstrom)

...and they should be picked as many of the teams picking before us are in need of D help!

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Broberg has made a resurgence at U18 Worlds thank goodness, so he should skirt back into the top 15.

D in the top 15: Byram, York, Broberg (potentially: Soderstrom)

...and they should be picked as many of the teams picking before us are in need of D help!

Maybe. Remember in 2010, three of Gormley, Gubrandson, Forbort, and Fowler were all expected to go well ahead of pick #13. Gubrandson went 3rd, McIlrath wound up jumping up to #10, and Fowler/Gormley, who were both anticipated to go top 8, went 12 and 13, respectively.

I see this draft with Byram likely going within the top 5-8, and then I don't know which D goes ahead of some of the forwards, especially b/c some of these teams have multiple 1sts, and can go forward early, followed by D later.

As an example with Anaheim, with the #9 and #25 pick currently, I think they go forward at #9 and then come back with a defenseman, as York, Seider, Robertson, Heinola, or Harley might slip or are right in that range. Colorado, Buffalo, New York Rangers, L.A., and Anaheim all have a pick in the top 10, followed by a pick in the 15-27 range. I bet all of these teams go forward with their first 1st round pick (partially based on where they are picking at), followed by D later. The elite forwards can start to dry up a little, and may mean forward first, followed by D later.

If you had two 1st round picks like 5 of the teams picking in the top 9, and the noise that is being made by some of the forwards is made, then I think you take the risk of a player like Caufield, Krebs, or Boldy ahead of defensemen. Even with some of these teams needing to re-stock on the defensive end, the risk is mitigated much further by waiting on D.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
You also have to draft RD. I wouldn't bother with D in the first round but after that RD is just as premium as C.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Center. I think he’s a center for sure. I also think he’s long gone before our pick.

Think so too. Krebs would be perfect but I think we end up with players like Suzuki to pick from. Suzuki is harder to project. Could be this season was a learning curve and next season his positioning and decision making has improved and he'll look fantastic.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don’t like Suzuki at all. I think any positioning and decision making concerns with Suzuki stem from his game being completely disengaged from any action or dangerous areas of the ice. Painfully soft player that only exists on the perimeter.

He’s got top notch puck skills. He’s patient and poised with the puck. He distributes well. Thinks the game well from the top of the circles. Good vision and great passing.

He refuses to shoot. Won’t step foot in the house, avoids all traffic and contact. Doesn’t back check or fight for the puck. Given all of that, combined with his relatively poor face-off performance and I’m not sure he even really projects as a center. He might project as a skinny, butter soft winger, who’s a pure perimeter player, and a playmaker from the wing. Like Clayton Keller if he never shot the puck.

I think Suzuki has the potential to be the best player in the KHL some day, though. He’d do great with all of that open ice, time, space and east-west play. For him to be an NHL player, though, I feel like you’d have to strip him down to the foundation and completely rebuild his game.

I could definitely see Suzuki being that surprise faller that gets picked either with the last pick of the first or the first pick of the second.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby and ctwin22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->