2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
15Kunin
16Chychrun
17Fabbro
15Senyshyn
16Barzal
17Connor
15Larkin
16Milano
17Sanheim
15Pulock
16Zadorov
17Lazar
15Ceci
16Tom Wilson
17Hertl
15JT Miller
16Armia
17Beaulieu
15Forbort
16Tarasenko
17Hishon
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There's some whiffs in this list and some talents that were rushed but I trust Chayka to avoid those pitfalls. It's a very valuable pick, especially for this draft that has a strong 1st round.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
You think this first round is strong? i think it's average at best personally, in fact i think this draft is fairly weak in but i am looking forward to the third round because i think theres a few shiny pennies that will fall

I would absolutely use the first rounder in a trade for Huberdeau, have no interest in a Zucker, also remember bringing in a contract like that likely means giving someone with a similar contract up, this team spends as close to the cap floor as possible and we have a lot of contracts kicking in next year and then Keller and Gally to resign the year after.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
13 F in that sample.
4 (Barzal, Connor, Larkin and Tarasenko) are top line talents.
2 (Miller and Hert) are 2nd line talents.
1 Kunin has potential to be top six.
4 (Wilson, Armia, Lazar and Milano) are bottom 6 guys that have found a role to play.

50% you get a top six talent
35% you get a bottom six player
15% bust

That's including Chiarelli's incompetence. Chayka has already proven that he can find talent in the 1st round.

Reactions: Name Nameless

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
IF he is available, I'm willing to bet it doesn't.
Reality would be realizing this team has a money problem and knowing with the players we have already, that you cant go spending 5.5 mill on a player like Zucker.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Huberdeau would cost Keller and that first. Come back to reality.

I don't think so. Value wise, yes, but if they're looking to dump Huberdeau's money to sign the CBJ guys, it doesn't make sense to bring in Keller when he's due a big contract soon. I would think they want pure futures in return. Cheap ELCs.

Reactions: hbk and tucknroll

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Pretend the draft is today. Predict Chayka's Top 15:
1. Turcotte
2. Hughes
3. Kakko
4. Byram
5. Krebs
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Podkolzin
9. Broberg
10.Zegras
11.Boldy
12.McMichael
13.Newhook
14.Caufield
15.York

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Keller, Chychrun, POJ, and Hayton are Chayka's first rounders.

A winger, two D, and a center. 3 CHL, 1 NTDP.

And now we have a new scouting director.

I think it's impossible to get a read on Chayka's drafting.

It's not Maloney level where Russians are blacklisted and bloodlines are underlined. I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think Maloney's drafts skewed CHL too, OHL specifically.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The biggest constant is targeting the younger side of the draft class. It's not an absolute but it's pretty consistent.

I've seen that too. I think the way Chayka looks at it is that he's building the current roster as a group and that the Draft is better served for restocking the cupboard farther down the road rather than getting guys who are immediately ready in the short term.

Reactions: PuckLife

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The biggest constant is targeting the younger side of the draft class. It's not an absolute but it's pretty consistent.
Very consistent. I've posted this before... His picks in rounds 1-3.

16Sep-15Dec
Zilch

16Dec-15Mar
Schnarr

16Mar-15Jun
Chychrun
Westerlund
Crotty
Emberson

16Jun-15Sep
Keller
Dineen
Joseph
Entwistle
Hayton
Bahl
Jenik

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As far as likely first rounders, these are the only guys that fit into that last category:

Podkolzin
Broberg
Kaliyev
Brink
Harley
Tomasino

Reactions: Kaizen

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Nick Robertson (Jason Robertson's little brother) is 5 days away from being 2020 draft eligible and brings a lot of skill, getting him would be great for the team, Also played with Kirk all year so i'm assuming they've seen him quite a bit.

Reactions: lanky

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Some time ago I read an interesting experiment from a Canucks fan where they redid every Canuck's pick in the last decade with some insanely specific criteria. I think the guy only allowed himself to pick the OHL forward with the highest ppg during their draft year that was actually available to the Canucks at their pick. I remember being shocked at the quality of draft picks even in the later rounds based on his method.

I'll have to see if I can find it, but it made me laugh a whole bunch at how much better their drafts turned out and would probably work for the Yotes based on the past drafts results.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Some time ago I read an interesting experiment from a Canucks fan where they redid every Canuck's pick in the last decade with some insanely specific criteria. I think the guy only allowed himself to pick the OHL forward with the highest ppg during their draft year that was actually available to the Canucks at their pick. I remember being shocked at the quality of draft picks even in the later rounds based on his method.

I'll have to see if I can find it, but it made me laugh a whole bunch at how much better their drafts turned out and would probably work for the Yotes based on the past drafts results.
Absolutely, have looked into similar methods with my friends, it's actually quite effective. Also creates come interesting correlations between leagues and scoring rates needed to translate to the next levels. Obviously not a full proof system because of obvious things like quality of team, minutes played, line mates, playing style, coaching systems and specialty teams, which is why you need to see the players to know for sure their abilities. It's a great way to filter prospects so you know who to watch for though.

rt

May 13, 2004
Nick Robertson (Jason Robertson's little brother) is 5 days away from being 2020 draft eligible and brings a lot of skill, getting him would be great for the team, Also played with Kirk all year so i'm assuming they've seen him quite a bit.
Loved him at the U18. I have him as a 1st rounder for sure. But not so early as we will be picking.

rt

May 13, 2004
My list:
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Podkolzin
4. Krebs
5. Turcotte
6. Cozens
7. Dach
8. Boldy
9. Zegras
10. McMichael
11. Caufield
12. Newhook
13. Leason
14. Tomasino
15. Brink
HMs (no order):
Kaliyev
Suzuki
Lavoie
Robertson
Hoglander

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Wow, I'm a big fan of Krebs. Love his intangibles. He has a lot of the fire that we lack. But I don't know if I'd have the balls to take him as high as four. I don't think this is the same debate as Brady Tkachuk last year because I don't think he's anywhere as good. I think there are more skilled guys like Cozens ranked behind Krebs.

rt

May 13, 2004
Krebs isn’t like Brady Tkachuk in that he’s much more statistically impressive than Tkachuk. He’s also more impressive statistically than Cozens or Dach. Krebs plays for an incredibly bad team with very little offense. He’s put that team right up on his shoulders. Plays with guts and gusto.

Reminds me a lot of Bryan Little’s draft year. I loved Little. He him way higher than he went

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad