2019 NHL Draft - June 21st - With The 14th Selection, The Coyotes.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
If we end up sneaking into the playoffs and losing in the first round, I could see us being very into Connor McMichael.

McMichael would be an interesting pickup, very fast kid with great playmaking skills.

Personally I prefer Cole Caufield. He reminds me very much of Alex DeBrincat (whom I worked with in Erie.) Undersized guy that can put the puck in the back of the net.

I also like Cam York. Short kid, but is lighting in the transition game and can put the puck in the back of the net better than any other defenseman in this draft.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You know, based on the couple of games I've seen, I don't think McMichael is really a "fast" skater in the traditional sense. I think he has great positioning, makes quick plays, and is great with the puck in tight spaces. It kind of makes him seem like he's all over the ice because he's so involved in every play, but he's rarely speeding around out there.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I really like Cosentino. He has a passion for junior hockey. But I don't care for the way he put Kakko ahead of Hughes without much justification or conviction. He wrote that section as if it wasn't his own perspective. If you're going to make a bold statement, you have to stand behind it.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It seems like every year around this time someone puts out a ranking where the consensus No. 2 guy is bumped to No. 1. Hedman over Tavares. Laine over Matthews. etc. Hughes is going 1st.

Reactions: Antonche

rt

May 13, 2004
It seems like every year around this time someone puts out a ranking where the consensus No. 2 guy is bumped to No. 1. Hedman over Tavares. Laine over Matthews. etc. Hughes is going 1st.
I like Cosentino a lot. I like Hughes because he’s really entertaining and I’m a fan. I could see why a scout who’s less worried about entertainment value might be a little more enamoured with a guy with Kakko’s size and puck protection ability. Especially with his rise to the occasion on the big stage of the WJC and how well he’s getting it done in arguably the 2nd to 4th best men’s league in the world. Great all around game with top notch skills. All of it seemingly great odds at converting.

Hughes is more of a wildcard.

rt

May 13, 2004
Say we sneak in and get trounced in round one. Pretty likely. That leaves us pick #16. Say we have three options on the table:

1. Pick Connor McMichael (upside)
2. Pick Brett Leason (NHL ready)
3. Trade the pick for Jason Zucker

Which one do you choose?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Say we sneak in and get trounced in round one. Pretty likely. That leaves us pick #16. Say we have three options on the table:

Which one do you choose?
Leason. If we choose to draft.

Most likely scenario if we aren’t drafting in top 10 is a trade IMO.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
You think Leason is NHL ready?
And all 3 of those options look bad, can we have a fourth good choice?

Reactions: Mosby

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Which one do you choose?
I'll take upside every time. I prefer Bobby Brink, Phil Tomasino or Victor Soderstrom though.

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.

Which one do you choose?
Or even Huberdeau?:naughty: But we wll have to add one of our best prospects.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Or even Huberdeau?:naughty: But we wll have to add one of our best prospects.

Hub would be great, but if we're gonna go all in i'd really rather get Brodin or Spurgeon along with Zucker.

Getting Spurgeon would be f***ing orgasmic. A RHD who's extremely underrated, would fit perfectly into our team and system, and getting a great goal scoring winger too?

Maybe Chayka can take advantage of this Fenton guy and grab them without giving up Hayton or one of our big roster players.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Forget drafting, give me Zucker. If #16 turns out to be as good as Zucker i'll eat my shirt.
It's not about which player has a better career. It's about which player brings more value to the Coyotes. The prospect can have 7 cost controlled NHL seasons. That time span includes the peak performance of that player's career. Zucker has zero cost controlled years left and is likely past his peak of performance.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It's not about which player has a better career. It's about which player brings more value to the Coyotes. The prospect can have 7 cost controlled NHL seasons. That time span includes the peak performance of that player's career. Zucker has zero cost controlled years left and is likely past his peak of performance.

Zucker isn't that old and could be coming right into his prime.

I'll take a guaranteed 2W over a question mark at this point any day.

Perlini was drafted at #16 in 2014. There have definitely been other good players around there, by all means, but few of them (Pastrnak, arguably Mantha) have been better at goal scoring than Zucker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad