Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day One | Podkolzin is our man

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
This doesn't have to deal with the draft per se. But i feel there are some really disrespectful few among the fans. I took the wrong exit and got stuck in the area with the buses. Anyways, i stood around awhile and there were these 4 guys who heckled and boo'd the bruins kid, the one they bring on stage, when he was at the exit door. Then when he and the rest of the Bruins group came out, those guys boo'd them again. I was in a position to see some of the exec's faces and they were cringing. I feel the boos in the arena were in good fun, but to heckle a little kid who was probably born into his fandom is kind of rude.

Anyways, saw Kakko and he positively towered over me. He looks huge.
That's disappointing to hear. Boo him on stage and on the ice, but don't ruin his big day. Like others not living up to their draft stock it's not his fault where he gets drafted.

Reactions: thefeebster

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
This doesn't have to deal with the draft per se. But i feel there are some really disrespectful few among the fans. I took the wrong exit and got stuck in the area with the buses. Anyways, i stood around awhile and there were these 4 guys who heckled and boo'd the bruins kid, the one they bring on stage, when he was at the exit door. Then when he and the rest of the Bruins group came out, those guys boo'd them again. I was in a position to see some of the exec's faces and they were cringing. I feel the boos in the arena were in good fun, but to heckle a little kid who was probably born into his fandom is kind of rude.

That's really gross.

You have to have a press pass by now right

Reactions: thefeebster

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
So was at the draft, the booing Betman crap sure got tiresome fast. Liked his bringing out the Sedins to shut the fans up.

Perhaps the least predictable draft in years. lots of surprises few trades. Left at pick 22, because I had to drive to Chilliwack.

Lots of decent choices at our 2nd, but really want Kaliyev. Leason, and a few others as well.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Agree re: the booing. It was fun for the first couple times, honestly just slowed things down after that. Bruins paused before making their pick it was so bad, didn’t think that was cool. This is the culmination around of a ton of work for teams and even more for the kids being picked. Show a just a speck of class ya tools, christ sakes.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

That is pretty sad. I hope these four were teenagers at least.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Just rewatching some of the draft. Isn't it weird how John Weisbrod weasels his way in beside the prospects and kind of edges Jim out? Last year I thought it was just because the familial relationship but then he did it again this year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Had fun at the draft. The section I was in was pretty well-behaved and the loudest it was when Dach got picked so I assume his family/friends were there.

I don't really get the whole booing thing either, but whatever. The only guy that needed to be booed (Benning) managed to avoid saying anything.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Was really hoping Zegras would fall to us; had Boldy & Poldkozin ahead of Caufield and Newhook (size). Happy with the pick, a tenacious player with tremendous skill!

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So was at the draft, the booing Betman crap sure got tiresome fast. Liked his bringing out the Sedins to shut the fans up.

Perhaps the least predictable draft in years. lots of surprises few trades. Left at pick 22, because I had to drive to Chilliwack.

Lots of decent choices at our 2nd, but really want Kaliyev. Leason, and a few others as well.
Thanks again for taking me, had a blast talking hockey with you.

The draft was crazy unpredictable, I called the Dach and Seider picks due to local media outlets so wasn’t too shocked at those, but Spencer Knight was absolutely crazy.

All in all a fun event, would have liked more deals but I really enjoyed it.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Thanks again for taking me, had a blast talking hockey with you.

The draft was crazy unpredictable, I called the Dach and Seider picks due to local media outlets so wasn’t too shocked at those, but Spencer Knight was absolutely crazy.

All in all a fun event, would have liked more deals but I really enjoyed it.

Thx I enjoyed chatting with you as well. It was nice to have someone intelligent to talk to ...

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oiler fans seem pretty choked about the Broberg pick..especially with Zegras sitting right there (who was promptly snapped up by the Ducks).

Reactions: geebaan

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

As a Canucks/Lakers fan, I hate everything about Boston sports...but booing a kid who just got drafted? That's just poor taste and those guys should be ashamed.

RE: Pod, I respect the gamble. Wouldn't have been my pick (Boldy or Cauffield), but its not the type of pick (see: Virtanen and Juolevi) that immediately pisses me off. I can see him becoming a 2nd line forward who really drives the play at even strength but likely isn't on your first unit PP. Something in the 40-60 point range. I didn't feel the risk profile justified the selection at 10 compared to say Boldy/Cauffield, but getting someone who fits his player mold is hard to do outside of the draft.

Kaliyev not being picked on day 1 is just dumb, and is likely due to GMs (like employers in the workplace) thinking far too highly of their ability to judge character/work ethic instead of looking at the data and understanding he was a no-brainer at ~20 spot. Someone is going to get themselves a really good player on day 2.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
What did you think of the pick Zombo? I was shocked. Never thought they'd pick him, figured he'd be gone by 6, or would fall past us due to being Russian.
Confusion over drafting a player under contract for two years, eventually turning into quiet optimism after reminding myself that this guy was considered a top-five talent save for the Russian Factor. I, too respect the gamble and not picking to save your job

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Confusion over drafting a player under contract for two years, eventually turning into quiet optimism after reminding myself that this guy was considered a top-five talent save for the Russian Factor. I, too respect the gamble and not picking to save your job

I really think his scoring is going to take off when he comes to NA

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
When Caufields scoring dries up in the Show he'll be in trouble along with his lack of foot speed and 200 foot game he'll be a healthy scratch on too many occasions.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Oiler fans seem pretty choked about the Broberg pick..especially with Zegras sitting right there (who was promptly snapped up by the Ducks).

Ya we were sitting beside a family of Oiler fans and they were visibly bummed by the choice. The Oilers board was pretty down when I checked earlier too. Can’t blame them, I am mostly happy with Podkolzin but only because Zegras was off the board. I can’t imagine my disgust right now if he’d been sitting there for the taking and we passed ... :skeptic:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad