Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day One | Podkolzin is our man

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Holy crap!

cut.jpg

We're hosting it. Best behaviour, everyone. Put the bricks down... I'm looking at you, East Vancouver...
OUR PICKS
Round1234567
104071102133156 (OTT*)195
180 (WSH**)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*Anders Nilsson trade
**2018 Draft trade (2018 VAN 6th ---> 2018 WSH 6th + 2019 WSH 6th)

PLAYERSTeamOrigin D+1 commitment Received follow-up interview from Canucks? Quotes/Notes
Jack HughesUS National Team Development ProgramToronto (father, though American, worked as Dir. of Player Development for the Maple Leafs)NHLThe new all-time USNTDP points leader (190), breaking the record set by Clayton Keller. Will be the highest-drafted Jewish player in league history. Mazel tov.
Kappo KakkoTPS Turku Turku, FinlandNHL"This guy is like a mini-Jagr from the hashmarks down in the offensive zone."
@MS

"Kakko scores NHL goals against men while Hughes looks really cute making fancy dekes around kids in the neutral zone."
@MS
Bowen ByramVancouver GiantsCranbrookCHLLead CHL defensemen in goals. The first defenseman in WHL history to lead the playoffs in scoring
Alex TurcotteUS National Team Development ProgramChicagoUniversity of Wisconsin
Dylan CozensLethbridge HurricanesYukon TerritoryCHL
Kirby DachSaskatoon BladesEdmontonCHL
Peyton KrebsKootenay Ice (now the Winnipeg Ice)CalgaryCHLRecently suffered an Achilles tear requiring surgery to fix. Played on a pissant garbage team dealing with the ignominy of relocation
Trevor ZegrasUS National Team Development ProgramWestchester County, NYBoston University"Zegras has some really special dynamic qualities. A lot more risk (than Alex Turcotte), but he has an ability to absolutely control the play..."
@biturbo19

"Zegras... has some notable engagement and intensity problems...
I think those issues with Zegras are more easily correctable, because he constantly demonstrates absolutely elite visions and awareness of the ice."

@biturbo19

"Zegras has zero business being at 10."
@Josepho
Matthew BoldyUS National Team Development ProgramBostonBoston CollegeExperienced a growth spurt during draft season (6'0 ---> 6'2). The highest-rated pure LW in the draft

"Probably the best fit stylistically (balance of high end puck skills, size, and goal scoring skills) and a close #2 to Zegras for me. Lack of explosive speed is a slight negative but reports are he's grown from 6' to 6'2 in the past year and that can wreak havoc on anyone's skating mechanics. His overall agility and footwork in small spaces is very good, just doesn't translate into top end speed yet. But everything else is at a very very high level and is a natural LW, which is a perfect positional fit. Boldy - EP - Boeser as a line could be absolutely lethal."
@CanaFan

"He's often treated like this guy who isn't a very good skater, but that's not really true. He doesn't have the high end speed. But he's deceptively agile and shifty in small areas with the puck. I've seen him turn a lot of defenders inside-out with a quick 180, and using that reach he has to keep the puck protected to make a play."
@biturbo19
Alex NewhookVictoria GrizzliesNewfoundlandBoston CollegeBCHL scoring champion

"I would be very excited with Newhook. Whether he remains at C or moves to LW I see him as having top 6 potential. I think I saw Alex Tanguay as a comparable for him, which would be a huge asset to us if he comes close to that."
@y2kcanucks
Cole CaufieldUS National Team Development ProgramWisconsinUniversity of WisconsinThe new all-time USNTDP goal-scoring leader (126), breaking the record set by one Phil Kessel. Is 5'7. Grandfather played for the Milwaukee Admirals
Vasili PodkolzinSKA-1946 MoscowKHLCommitted to KHL for two more seasons
Arthur KaliyevHamilton BulldogsStaten Island, NY (claimed)CHLIs a US national, don't be fooled. Does have a Russian accent, though. Origins are... not nailed down

One of only a dozen OHL players to join the 50-goals-at-17 club (recent members include Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jeff Skinner, and Alex DeBrincat).

"A team like Vancouver or Buffalo who already has some high-quality centers and is slated to pick in that range should really be thinking about taking this guy."
@Josepho

"Kaliyev is a bad skater and doesn't uselessly buzz around everywhere when he's on the ice and it's interpreted as being lazy and lacking intensity. It may be true to an extent, but I don't think it cancels out how great his production is and he shouldn't be falling to a playoff team."
@Josepho
Philip BrobergSkellefteå AIKÖrebro, SwedenSHLHFVancouver's bogeyman for 2019: a 6'3 defenseman with elite skating!
Moritz SeiderAdler MannheimMosel, GermanyDEL"The only D I'm interested in after Byram. Like his combination of size (6'4), position (RHD), and strengths on the defensive side of the puck. May have latent offensive skills, as he was apparently a dynamic puck rush in German jr but then shot up 3-4 inches and seemingly lost that ability. Combines a great mind for the game, with strong skating, and physical presence. Puck skills will need work but if he can put it all together, he could be a passable 1D partner for Hughes for the next decade."
@CanaFan
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
KNOWN DRAFT MEETUPS

BONUS:

The Canucks announce their next Ring of Honour inductee at the Draft. Who could it be? Tune in to find out!

mzM84e3.jpg

@Mr. Canucklehead @RIP Botchford @thefeebster @Josepho @y2kcanucks @xtra @CanucksSTM @Canucks1096 @cobrakaineverdies @Lucbourdon @ChilliBilly @EpochLink @Hawkyknowledge @Brodeur @Inferno @Amazing Kreiderman @AKA Chief @EdJovanovski

Have a good time!

Last edited:

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Just got to hope we don't trade the pick.

Hoping for a trade up for Zegras, otherwise, Boldy/Krebs/Newhook/Caufield at 10 would make me happy.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Last batch of posts from the previous thread

Saw this while stalking the Oilers board for intel (and cause it’s fun watching them freak out about the Broberg rumours). Figured would be a fun distraction over the final 17 or so hours:

Picks 1-9
1) Devils - Hughes
2) Rangers - Kakko
3) Hawks - Turcotte
4) Avs - Byram
5) Kings - Dach
6) Red Wings - Krebs
7) Sabres - Cozens
8) Oilers - Broberg
9) Ducks - Zegras (damn your late 3rd period goal Elias!!)

And with the 10th pick in the 2019 NHL entry draft:

The Canucks will pick...
Soderstrom

I want the Canucks to pick...
Boldy

I don't want the Canucks to pick...
Soderstrom

It’s a reach but I secretly wouldn’t mind if the Canucks pick ...
Seider

And for bonus points:

One player that no one is picking to go in the top 10 that might just surprise is ...

Anaheim - Philip Tomasino​

You know this is a weird draft. I don't think I've ever had so many players where I thought "Oooo I'd like him at that spot." Just a wealth of forward talent will be there at 10. I have a hard time seeing the Canucks taking a D-man. Broberg seems to be rates very high... for some reason...? Frankly I still like Sedier better but have them both at about 16-18th in terms of quality of player.

I'm okay with/secretly really excited with:
-Seider
-Kaliyev
-Newhook

I'm skeptical of:
-Podkolzin
-Soderstrom
-Broberg
-Krebs
-Boldy (only cuz I don't know enough about him)

Big fist pump if they fall to us:
-Byram (not happening)
-Turcotte (not happening)
-Dach (not happening)
-Cozens (not happening)
-Zegras
-Caufield

I'm excited to watch this unfold. It's shaping up to be one of the more unpredictable first rounds.

Newhook?

Although I agree that Zegras would be a top flight pick, he has his own issues. I question his shooting frequency and ability. I also think his game needs to mature a lot before he can be relied upon. There are challenges with this player.

That said, it would be great to get him at 10. Fingers crossed that every team in the top9 has at least 1 player ahead of him on their respective lists.

My interest in the draft this year isn't as high as previous seasons but the one guy that I'm really excited about is Newhook. Would love if we took him, kid can absolutely fly!

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
My 2 expectations when drafting top 10.

If you pick a defenseman that high he better have impressive offensive abilities.

If you take a forward he better have a high hockey IQ.

Most of the forwards available around our pick fit the bill but i dont see a fit among the available defenseman. Id have to be sweet talked into thinking broberg or soderstrom can put up 40+pts which is the minimum id expect out of a top 10 pick.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Who Chicago takes will really set the draft up for potential fireworks. It sounds like Colorado likes Cozens/Dach. If Chicago takes Turcotte it will open up the chance that one of the WHL big boys will fall.

NJ-Hughes
NYR-Kakko
CHI-Turcotte
COL-Dach
LA-Byram
DET-Zegras
BUF-Caufield
EDM-Broberg

If Dach or Cozens are available at 9 for the Ducks I have a hard time seeing them passing on them though.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
My top 15 picks in order of how happy I'd be if the Canucks selected them, not necessarily the order they will go...

1. Hughes
  2. Kakko
  3. Byram
  4. Turcotte
  5. Dach
  6. Zegras
  7. Boldy
  8. Cozens
  9. Newhook
  10. Krebs
  11. Seider
  12. Kaliyev
  13. Caulfield
  14. Podkolzin
  15. Soderstrom

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This is my ranking on talent in the draft not how I expect them to be picked -

1. Kakko - just an amazing player
  2. Byram - franchise dman and impact player
  3. Hughes - great playmaker - concerns around size and shot
  4. Turcotte - super slick and smooth
  5. Trevor zegras - maybe I have him high but I love his vision and passing
  6. Cozens - big strong prototype 2way whl forward
  7. Kirby dach - big strong powerful player
  8. Boldy - good vision; size;and puck skills
  9. Vasily Podkolzin -
  10. Newhook - like him at 10
  11. Spencer knight - he’s a super talented goalie and I’d like to see more but he’s very good
  12. Caufield - great goal scorer but just too small imo
I know I don’t have kerbs but I’d slot him in the 9-12 area depending on that injury.

Go ahead and rip it apart

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Who Chicago takes will really set the draft up for potential fireworks. It sounds like Colorado likes Cozens/Dach. If Chicago takes Turcotte it will open up the chance that one of the WHL big boys will fall.

NJ-Hughes
NYR-Kakko
CHI-Turcotte
COL-Dach
LA-Byram
DET-Zegras
BUF-Caufield
EDM-Broberg

If Dach or Cozens are available at 9 for the Ducks I have a hard time seeing them passing on them though.

Not that these rumors always turn out, but after doing some foraging for information through the various top 10 pick team boards:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko

CHI - I've repeatedly heard they're high on Turcotte

COL - I expect Cozens/Dach based off they have #16 which would open them up to being able to delve into the mid round batch of Dmen. Byram wouldn't hurt either of course.

LA: I checked their forum and the Mayor has reported they have Turcotte #1 and Byram #2. Dach would be next and Zegras has been highly discussed internally. They also really like Boldy.

DET- Custance firmly believes that Dach is their guy.

BUF - Zegras/Cozens it seems is some of the speculation from Buffalo writers. Some theory of a Caufield smokescreen from fans.

EDM- Broberg. Everyone has heard it by now.

ANA: I would speculate Krebs/Newhook just off their obvious need for a center prospect with Getzlaf aging and Kesler done.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Piggybacking on the canafan post from last thread

Picks 1-9
1) Devils - Hughes
2) Rangers - Kakko
3) Hawks - Turcotte
4) Avs - Byram
5) Kings - Dach
6) Red Wings - Zegras
7) Sabres - Caulfield
8) Oilers - Cozens
9) Ducks - Newhook

And with the 10th pick in the 2019 NHL entry draft:

The Canucks will pick...
Broberg

I want the Canucks to pick...
Boldy

I don't want the Canucks to pick...
I'm ok with just about anybody here. I'd prefer no dmen, but I'm not 100%.

It’s a reach but I secretly wouldn’t mind if the Canucks pick ...
Harley

And for bonus points:

One player that no one is picking to go in the top 10 that might just surprise is ...

Anaheim - Arthur Kaliyev

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Not that these rumors always turn out, but after doing some foraging for information through the various top 10 pick team boards:

1. Hughes
2. Kakko

CHI - I've repeatedly heard they're high on Turcotte

COL - I expect Cozens/Dach based off they have #16 which would open them up to being able to delve into the mid round batch of Dmen. Byram wouldn't hurt either of course.

LA: I checked their forum and the Mayor has reported they have Turcotte #1 and Byram #2. Dach would be next and Zegras has been highly discussed internally. They also really like Boldy.

DET- Custance firmly believes that Dach is their guy.

BUF - Zegras/Cozens it seems is some of the speculation from Buffalo writers. Some theory of a Caufield smokescreen from fans.

EDM- Broberg. Everyone has heard it by now.

ANA: I would speculate Krebs/Newhook just off their obvious need for a center prospect with Getzlaf aging and Kesler done.

So if Colorado takes Dach, who I've heard they are high on (more so than Cozens) who does Detroit take?

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Just got to hope we don't trade the pick.

Hoping for a trade up for Zegras, otherwise, Boldy/Krebs/Newhook/Caufield at 10 would make me happy.
Totally on board with this.

My final rankings in who could still be available at 10 is tiered as follows:
Caufield

Zegras
Newhook
Boldy ("The Botchford pick")

Krebs

Broberg
Soderstrom

ﹰIf we trade into the late part of the 1st:
Brink
Harley