Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day One | Podkolzin is our man

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I was cool with Kaliyev at 10; now that there's a minuscule possibility that we get him at 40??? Holy smokes!

If management leaves this draft with Podkolzin and Kaliyev, I'm calling the police

Reactions: ChilliBilly

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I had Podkolzin on my do not draft list primarily because of the Russian factor. Talent wise, I also don't think he's as good as he was rated earlier this season but I don't hate the pick. I really wanted Newhook at 10 though.

Now with Kaliyev falling like a rock, I'd absolutely take him at 40 if he's there. I fully expect he'll go early tomorrow. Carolina has 2 early 2nd round picks and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make it past them.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Colorado was the clear winners of round 1 though. Walking out with both Byram and Newhook was a coup. A potential top pairing defenseman and likely staple on their 2nd line. That team is deep with an excellent young core and several good prospects coming up. Definitely a team to watch out for.
Agreed, Colorado ran over every other team in this draft. I’m jealous

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Agreed, Colorado ran over every other team in this draft. I’m jealous
I mean, hard to do wrong with 4 and 16

Byram and Newhook will be great for them, great picks, but let's be real, they could have taken....oh, I dunno, Turcotte and Harley? and they'd still come away as R1 winners. The real win was having Ottawa suck with Duchene.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I had Podkolzin on my do not draft list primarily because of the Russian factor. Talent wise, I also don't think he's as good as he was rated earlier this season but I don't hate the pick. I really wanted Newhook at 10 though.

Well he was ranked 3rd earlier. Where did you have him ranked now?

I think it was his 2 year commitment to the KHL and his lack of production. Those two things combined dropped his ranking.

VEry good pick. Honestly surprised.

What do you think about his skill level? Production?

To me, the logic behind this makes sense if they feel that he was their last attempt at shooting for the moon. That every pick behind him wouldn't have offered as much upside.

I really didn't get a chance to consider this player because I thought there was no way they would take a Russian.

Confusion over drafting a player under contract for two years, eventually turning into quiet optimism after reminding myself that this guy was considered a top-five talent save for the Russian Factor. I, too respect the gamble and not picking to save your job

Is he a top5 talent though? That's the crux of this. I see people regard him as a mundane talent that was easily comparable to the picks behind him.

In looking deeper at him, I'm not sure that evaluation holds. To me, he seems to have a shot+IQ+size+motor+stick handling combination that few behind him could have matched. The skill level is hard to discern without really diving into his play.

Ya we were sitting beside a family of Oiler fans and they were visibly bummed by the choice. The Oilers board was pretty down when I checked earlier too. Can’t blame them, I am mostly happy with Podkolzin but only because Zegras was off the board. I can’t imagine my disgust right now if he’d been sitting there for the taking and we passed ... :skeptic:

Zegras has his own issues...

I was crushed when he was taken 9th. So close. But we have to realize that his shooting and lack of shooting instinct will need to be corrected. He also plays an immature game. Will need work.

ANA's scouts are deadly though so I'm sure he'll turn out.

----

What do you think about Podkolzin's upside given his lack of production?

Reactions: biturbo19

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Love the Podkolzin pick! I'll always love the high upside picks. That's the kind of team we want to build. Plus, with the core we've already assembled, we have the luxury of going that route. If we didn't have any young talent, then yeah maybe we'd want to make the safer pick.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

This is pretty funny. Just leads right on up through the USNTDP preface...and the wham. Drops the hammer.

But i honestly love the Cam York pick for Philly. They have some good young defencemen, and they've made a few moves to bring in some other serviceable complementary RHD to bandaid that blueline...but they've got plenty of forward prospects in the pipeline and York has serious upside as a guy who could fill a Top-4 role for them in a couple years. Keep that machine rolling. That's how you manage the cap, but getting out in front of it with affordable young defencemen.

York is pretty underrated. Everyone loves the glitz and glamour of the finisher in Caufield...but York was a big part of his success too. He's an oustanding puck mover, PP distributor and quarterback. He was the real engine that let all those great USNTDP forwards run wild so often.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Love the Podkolzin pick! I'll always love the high upside picks. That's the kind of team we want to build. Plus, with the core we've already assembled, we have the luxury of going that route. If we didn't have any young talent, then yeah maybe we'd want to make the safer pick.

Is Podkolzin a high upside pick? First line upside?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I see his upside as 65 ish point two/way force.

I think it’s more likely he’s a second line winger that can drive the play though.

Makes me wonder why he was ranked 3rd overall until about the mid-point of the season?

There were forwards there that had higher production projections at 10.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I’d say Pod has a higher floor than those guys though.

Fair enough, but this guy was rated 3rd overall earlier on. Do you think he was rated as highly as he was simply because of his floor?

I mean, Virtanen and Ritchie were rated 7/8 in the 2014 final TSN mock, so it's not outside the realm of reason. But even they were not considered top3 talents.

It's just an odd thing to have Podkolzin rated so highly if he does not have the ceiling to warrant it?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Fair enough, but this guy was rated 3rd overall earlier on. Do you think he was rated as highly as he was simply because of his floor?

I mean, Virtanen and Ritchie were rated 7/8 in the 2014 final TSN mock, so it's not outside the realm of reason. But even they were not considered top3 talents.

It's just an odd thing to have Podkolzin rated so highly if he does not have the ceiling to warrant it?
His production is absolutely a concern, if you compare it to players like Kuznetsov who dominated the same league it looks poor.

I think Podkolzin is one of those eye test darlings that scouts love and hope can eventually translate his strong tools with production. I think his U 18 tournament was a driving force in his ranking as well.

I never had him at 3, but fine with him at 10.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
His production is absolutely a concern, if you compare it to players like Kuznetsov who dominated the same league it looks poor.

I think Podkolzin is one of those eye test darlings that scouts love and hope can eventually translate his strong tools with production. I think his U 18 tournament was a driving force in his ranking as well.

I never had him at 3, but fine with him at 10.

Talent alone, where did you have him Pre-Draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad