Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day One | Podkolzin is our man

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Kaliyev, Lavoie, Korkzac would be my top 3. Also like Legare and Puistola but not at 40, would like to add another 2nd somehow to grab one of the latter 2.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
10 picks before Nucks.

My List updated:

10. Arthur Kaliyev, 6'2, RW - Hamilton (OHL)
19. Egor Afanasyev, 6'3, LW - Muskegon (USHL)
20. Raphaël Lavoie, 6'4, RW - Halifax (QMJHL)
21. Danil Misyul, 6'3, D - Yaroslavl 2 (Russia)
23. Nils Hoglander, 6', LW - Rogle (Sweden)
31. Bobby Brink, 5'9, RW - NTDP
-
35. Kaeden Korczak, 6'3, D - Kelowna (WHL)
36. Nicholas Robertson, 5'9, RW - Peterborough (OHL)
37. Vladislav Firstov, 6'1, LW - Waterloo (USHL)
38. John Farinacci, 6'0, C - Harvard (NCAA)
39. Brett Leason, 6'4, LW - Prince Albert (WHL)
40. Shane Pinto, 6'2, C - U. North Dakota (NCAA)
41. Jackson LaCombe , 6'2, D - Shattuck - St Marys Prep (High-Mn)
42. Matthew Robertson, 6'3, D - Edmonton (WHL)
43. Connor McMichael, 5'11, C - London (OHL)
44. Alexei Protas, 6'5, C - Prince Albert (WHL)
45. Graeme Clarke, 6'0, RW - Ottawa (OHL)
46. Pavel Dorofeyev, 6'1, LW - Magnitogorsk (Rus)
47. Jamieson Rees, 5'10, C - Sarnia (OHL)
48. Mads Sogaard, 6'8, G - Medicine Hat (WHL)

I really Hope we can get Leason, he super impressed me at the WJC's

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's my interpretation of Kaliyev:

1. He's an introvert with an underbite and motor tics; idiot GMs interpret this as bad character

or

2. There were questions about age falsification and perhaps that's torpedoed his draft stock

Interesting notion but there hasn’t been a shred of a rumour of this that I’ve seen.

You can correct me if I am wrong but I never understood the importance of the interview.

It’s so silly.

These guys are all coached and programmed what to say by their agents. They’re all high achievers to make it this far.

As anyone knows, there are shitty people with charisma who are great in settings like this and there are terrific people who are awkward. To draft a guy because you loved that he said that he was going to win a Cup is just stupid.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015

1. He's an introvert with an underbite and motor tics; idiot GMs interpret this as bad character

or

2. There were questions about age falsification and perhaps that's torpedoed his draft stock
I think there might be something to that first one. Bit of a tic and what seems to be a very slight speech impediment is easily the sort of ridiculous thing I think could contribute to a drop.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
It’s so silly.

These guys are all coached and programmed what to say by their agents. They’re all high achievers to make it this far.

As anyone knows, there are ****ty people with charisma who are great in settings like this and there are terrific people who are awkward. To draft a guy because you loved that he said that he was going to win a Cup is just stupid.

That's my thinking as well. Furthermore, if you someone who is an introvert or English as a second language they won't be as comfortable. Their interview skills aren't relevant to what they do on the ice.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I bet $20 that Kaliyev is off the board at 32 with Ottawa picking. His sexy statlines and drool worthy scoring upside will be a salve to fans still feeling burned over the high 1st. Not to mention the likely fallout of taking Thomson so bloody early.

Reactions: THE Green Man

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I bet $20 that Kaliyev is off the board at 32 with Ottawa picking. His sexy statlines and drool worthy scoring upside will be a salve to fans still feeling burned over the high 1st. Not to mention the likely fallout of taking Thomson so bloody early.

Not sure about that... but I can't see him getting by the Canes picking twice in a row. You'd think they would "gamble" with one of those picks.

I can see Ottawa going for Brink or Lavoie.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

or

Footage of an interview from the combine for those wondering

I can see something like this being an absolute anchor for NHL GMs, which is absurd

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really OK with Podkolzin pick.....most talented player still left on the board at #10....figured he'd never get past Detroit at #6, but they went way off the board. Benning really with no choice but to go with the BPA with this pick.

People are making a big deal about his two-year contract in the KHL, but realistically if the Canucks had picked anyone else, they'd probably have spent two years in the NCAA or back in junior for a couple of post-draft seasons anyway.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Really OK with Podkolzin pick.....most talented player still left on the board at #10....figured he'd never get past Detroit at #6, but they went way off the board. Benning really with no choice but to go with the BPA with this pick.

People are making a big deal about his two-year contract in the KHL, but realistically if the Canucks had picked anyone else, they'd probably have spent two years in the NCAA or back in junior for a couple of post-draft seasons anyway.

And as the end of that second NCAA year approached, some would be panicking about the player staying in the NCAA through two more years and then becoming a free agent.

But the "Russian risk" is real. What does Podkolzin do if he comes over after his KHL contract is up, and the Canucks think he needs to spend some time in Utica, or on the fourth line, perhaps flanking Jay Beagle in the final year of his contract?

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
This doesn't have to deal with the draft per se. But i feel there are some really disrespectful few among the fans. I took the wrong exit and got stuck in the area with the buses. Anyways, i stood around awhile and there were these 4 guys who heckled and boo'd the bruins kid, the one they bring on stage, when he was at the exit door. Then when he and the rest of the Bruins group came out, those guys boo'd them again. I was in a position to see some of the exec's faces and they were cringing. I feel the boos in the arena were in good fun, but to heckle a little kid who was probably born into his fandom is kind of rude.

Anyways, saw Kakko and he positively towered over me. He looks huge.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Man,Kaliyev is one of the most awkward interviews I've ever seen.
I'm not a fan of his overall game,I think he's this year's Oliver Wahlstrom in that he's primarily a a one trick pony and that trick might not translate against bigger and faster players and against better goalies.Pass for me.

Some interesting forwards should be available at 40.I think I'd go with Leason but Hoglander or Rees would be nice additions as well.
For D-men,Korczak or Robertson would be my choices here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad