NFL: 2019 NFL season news & notes discussion thread (Bruce Allen removed from football ops in WSH)

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
and why on earth would the Browns help the Pats? There is 0 connection between Haslam and Kraft. The teams are in the same conference for Christ sakes.

Belichick came from Browns. Common interest, beat the Steelers.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Documentary on a no name Patriots scout eh ? If he's on legit Patriots business why wasn't he decked out in Patriots gear? He was wearing Bruins stuff. Never seen coaches at combines and draft days in other teams gear. This tells me 1) Nothing legit about it and 2) He slipped up but also so comfortable because he's been doing it for years to wear anything Boston related. Anybody doing a one time thing wouldn't be stupid enough to wear anything Boston to a Bengals/Browns game. They've been doing this for years.

So kind of Belichick to grant a whole documentary on his scouts. Same guy that doesn't let any part of his operation be filmed or documented. Guy wins him a Super Bowl with an interception and won't pay him and benches him in Super Bowl out of spite. But he's looking out for the scouts guys!!

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
He hasn't worked for the Browns in 24 years. Those Browns moved to Baltimore.

I dont think the Pat's are very afraid of the Steelers these days. Maybe 4 years ago that statement would make sense.

Not that the Pats are afraid. They weren't afraid of the 1 win Bengals but still got caught cheating. Browns would love nothing more then the Patriots to surpass the Steelers in Super Bowls. Browns are the little red headed step child in the AFC North.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Belichick came from Browns. Common interest, beat the Steelers.

I'm enjoying your theory, but the BIG problem with it is it gives Cleveland way too much credit for potentially knowing what it's doing, which it has otherwise shown no evidence of since returning to existence. :D

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm enjoying your theory, but the BIG problem with it is it gives Cleveland way too much credit for potentially knowing what it's doing, which it has otherwise shown no evidence of since returning to existence. :D

It's been a theory way before this story broke. Look at their trade history. This is just confirming what we all already thought.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's been a theory way before this story broke. Look at their trade history. This is just confirming what we all already thought.

The Browns have been an incompetent organization for 20 years now. They weren't trying to help the Pat's in those trades, they were just run by a bunch of idiots at the time.

Besides you act like they were pillaged by NE :facepalm:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
The Browns have been an incompetent organization for 20 years now. They weren't trying to help the Pat's in those trades, they were just run by a bunch of idiots at the time.

Besides you act like they were pillaged by NE :facepalm:

Run by idiots who grant the Patriots scouts access on their next opponent. Yeah okay.. Wake up.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Run by idiots who grant the Patriots scouts access on their next opponent. Yeah okay.. Wake up.

Everyone sends advance scouts to their next week's opponents. I don't think this has anything to do with the Browns - they rightfully expect the people they credential to follow NFL rules regarding filming/etc. It's entirely on the Patriots that their film crew broke the league's rules....in an almost identical way to how the original Spygate was carried out (which was carried out in more stadiums than just Cleveland's).

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
As this story unfolds I'm interested to see if the Bengals were tipped off by someone or another team. That's what has tripped the Patriots up in the past is someone with suspicions or direct knowledge reaching out to another team and saying .... hey, be on the lookout for this ...

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Documentary on a no name Patriots scout eh ? If he's on legit Patriots business why wasn't he decked out in Patriots gear? He was wearing Bruins stuff. Never seen coaches at combines and draft days in other teams gear. This tells me 1) Nothing legit about it and 2) He slipped up but also so comfortable because he's been doing it for years to wear anything Boston related. Anybody doing a one time thing wouldn't be stupid enough to wear anything Boston to a Bengals/Browns game. They've been doing this for years.

So kind of Belichick to grant a whole documentary on his scouts. Same guy that doesn't let any part of his operation be filmed or documented. Guy wins him a Super Bowl with an interception and won't pay him and benches him in Super Bowl out of spite. But he's looking out for the scouts guys!!
That last statement is completely false (big shocker that you have your info wrong) BB and the Patriota have done 3 "Do your job" specials documenting there last 3 SB runs.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Everyone sends advance scouts to their next week's opponents

Proof?

That last statement is completely false (big shocker that you have your info wrong) BB and the Patriota have done 3 "Do your job" specials documenting there last 3 SB runs.

Oh wow, what a coincidence. Some bogus documentary nobody gives a shit about. Perfect cover to continue cheating.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
filming a documentary was the best excuse they could come up with? lol

don't see why the pats would feel the need to go out of their way to "scout" the 1-11 bengals. but why am i not surprised at all that the pats are still cheating after all these years

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
filming a documentary was the best excuse they could come up with? lol

don't see why the pats would feel the need to go out of their way to "scout" the 1-11 bengals. but why am i not surprised at all that the pats are still cheating after all these years
What would have been a better excuse. Seems pretty resonable. They are filming a scout for another do your job special.

The bottom line is, whatever is on the tapes will prove innocent or guilt

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Proof of what? That advance scouts exist around the league and that they scout teams future opponents? Are you serious?

Yes, never heard of scouts going to their next opponents game. What's the point? What can't you get from game film and all 22? Ahhh signals.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yes, never heard of scouts going to their next opponents game. What's the point? What can't you get from game film and all 22? Ahhh signals.

From an article from 2007:

In my five years working in pro personnel with the Cleveland Browns, one of my jobs was to scout upcoming opponents and create that advance scouting report. So while the Browns would be preparing to play, say, the Bengals, I would be looking ahead to the next week's game against Pittsburgh. I would study the film of the Steelers, looking for formations, tendencies and anything that might help formulate a game plan.

On Sunday, while the Browns were in Cincinnati, I would be in the press box in Pittsburgh. This is a common practice and league bylaws actually state that no team shall prevent a member of an upcoming opponent from attending a game in that capacity.

Note that it's completely legal to watch a team's sideline to watch for signals/tendencies/etc. You just can't film them. You don't hear about it because it's standard procedure.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Signals? How many teams even use signals? Everything goes through the headsets. This isnt 1986.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Signals? How many teams even use signals? Everything goes through the headsets. This isnt 1986.

Headsets shut off after a certain point in the play clock. I read an article earlier (don't remember where) that Taylor does use signals, much like McVay, after the play clock runs out on some plays, and considering the reports specifically noted that Bengals coaches were captured giving signals, I'd say that yes, the Bengals do use hand signals at times.

EDIT: Here's one article that says the Bengals (and most teams) still use hand signals:
Although most communication in the NFL is now electronic, one advantage of filming a team's sideline is that the Patriots could see what kind of hand signals the Bengals use to make audibles. Plenty of teams still use hand signals to make adjustments on defense or to call audibles on offense.

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
They have a godly home record because at home they bug the play calling booths and other teams communications. Remember headsetgate?

Well, Manning's coach in Indianapolis, Tony Dungy, was a guest on "The Dan Patrick Show" and confirmed this report and says there was a little more to it than that.

Dungy was asked if Manning did step out into the hallway to discuss strategy with his coach because he thought the locker room was bugged.

"That is very true," Dungy said with a chuckle. "As Peyton talked to guys who played for the Patriots and some of the guys who came over [to the Colts], whether it is true or not, he treated it as true and we didn't have a lot of strategy discussed inside the locker room [at Gillette Stadium]."

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015

Too be fair, Browns regimes turnover like no other team in the league. Collins trade was Sashi Brown, and John Dorsey traded Jason McCourty and Danny Shelton to the Patriots. There is a history but I don’t think it’s that deep.

If it were, Id hope the browns would learn to cheat better, in turn leading to more wins. Alas that’s the opposite of what’s happened. :help:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Too be fair, Browns regimes turnover like no other team in the league. Collins trade was Sashi Brown, and John Dorsey traded Jason McCourty and Danny Shelton to the Patriots. There is a history but I don’t think it’s that deep.

If it were, Id hope the browns would learn to cheat better, in turn leading to more wins. Alas that’s the opposite of what’s happened. :help:

You forget about Josh Gordon? Browns dealt with his shit for years to trade him to the Patriots when they needed a receiver the worst.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As this story unfolds I'm interested to see if the Bengals were tipped off by someone or another team. That's what has tripped the Patriots up in the past is someone with suspicions or direct knowledge reaching out to another team and saying .... hey, be on the lookout for this ...

FWIW Spygate was something most teams did. John Madden even said as much in a broadcast at one point.

The league was "tipped off" by Mangini who was jealous that his former team was doing just fine without him and that the Jets were crap. (Or Browns, cant remember who he was coaching at the time)

They have a godly home record because at home they bug the play calling booths and other teams communications. Remember headsetgate?

This is funny stuff. Nobody has ever heard of this. You didnt even post a link to a story, let alone one from a legitimate news organization.

Did you hear about that on WeHateThePats.com ? Or ColtsNation.com ?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad