OT: 2019 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
If the DB just stayed with the kicker, the punter would have gotten annihilated.

Yes, everyone praising it is simply looking at the successful outcome in "casual fan" fashion, but it's actually a terrible play design.

It entirely hinges on fooling 1 guy, and if that guy isn't fooled, there is literally no second option. I think it must have been a broken play & someone on Miami screwed-up their assignment, but we'll likely never know.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yes, everyone praising it is simply looking at the successful outcome in "casual fan" fashion, but it's actually a terrible play design.

It entirely hinges on fooling 1 guy, and if that guy isn't fooled, there is literally no second option. I think it must have been a broken play & someone on Miami screwed-up their assignment, but we'll likely never know.

no, that was the play design. And the Eagles had no idea what to do, which was the entire point of the play.

Its OK to say the Eagles got completely fooled.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Given there is more then 1 eligible receiver I'm sure there are other options.

But clearly you are trying to fool the other team, and by fool them, I mean, they don't know who is supposed to cover whom. They probably don't even know who is eligible in that alignment.

Funny but we used to practice that in pop warner back in the day, but never actually tried it in a game. Always thought it was a cool play.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
no, that was the play design.

It clearly isnt. You do not design a play like that with only 1 option which = 100% failure if covered.

Given there is more then 1 eligible receiver I'm sure there are other options.

Exactly. But there wasn't as they ran it, which is my point in saying it's a busted play. He either pitches to the guy who caught the TD, or he tries to run it in (which is going to fail every time). You look at it from the overhead view as it was run & it makes no sense from a play design standpoint.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It clearly isnt. You do not design a play like that with only 1 option which = 100% failure if covered.

Exactly. But there wasn't as they ran it, which is my point in saying it's a busted play. He either pitches to the guy who caught the TD, or he tries to run it in (which is going to fail every time). You look at it from the overhead view as it was run & it makes no sense from a play design standpoint.

No, that was the play design lol the coach even said as much. Like I said, the entire purpose of the play is confusion. The Eagles were confused. Success.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
no, that was the play design. And the Eagles had no idea what to do, which was the entire point of the play.

Its OK to say the Eagles got completely fooled.
You do realize that if ALL THREE of the Eagles aren't suckered by the runner, that play has a 0% chance of working. All a team needs is 1/3 guys to have a brain in that situation and cover the receiver .
Cool that it worked though.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You do realize that if ALL THREE of the Eagles aren't suckered by the runner, that play has a 0% chance of working. All a team needs is 1/3 guys to have a brain in that situation and cover the receiver .Cool that it worked though.

Correct. It's a busted play somehow, we just dont know the "how" part.

There's at least 1, and IMO probably 2, eligible Dolphins who either screwed up or were blocked & couldn't make it to their target area.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
If you confuse the defense, a play that shouldn't work usually does.

See: The wildcat, the bunch formation, and even the wishbone back in the day

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
If you confuse the defense, a play that shouldn't work usually does.

See: The wildcat, the bunch formation, and even the wishbone back in the day
Yes, agreed, but typically the actual goal is to fool one key individual to then exploit. How that play ran required fooling 3 guys. Heck, there's no reason for even more than 1 of the Eagle players to go for the kicker...yet 3 went.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Correct. It's a busted play somehow, we just dont know the "how" part.

There's at least 1, and IMO probably 2, eligible Dolphins who either screwed up or were blocked & couldn't make it to their target area.

bro, it was not a busted play. That was the play.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

truthfully I only saw one quick clip of it, so I didn't really get a breakdown of the play, but theoretically there should be options to either side of the field as well as the run option. I think the center might actually be eligible there, though I'm not sure if he declared.

But that play is really about catching a team off guard, defenses never see it, so they do not know who the eligible receivers are let alone who is supposed to cover who. And it worked.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
truthfully I only saw one quick clip of it, so I didn't really get a breakdown of the play, but theoretically there should be options to either side of the field as well as the run option. I think the center might actually be eligible there, though I'm not sure if he declared.

But that play is really about catching a team off guard, defenses never see it, so they do not know who the eligible receivers are let alone who is supposed to cover who. And it worked.

even if he did declare he would be denied and would not be eligible…..(pretty sure only the outside 2 of the 7 on the line of scrimmage are legal)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
even if he did declare he would be denied and would not be eligible…..(pretty sure only the outside 2 of the 7 on the line of scrimmage are legal)
If the guys wide right are off the line then the Center would be the outside guy on that side.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
If the guys wide right are off the line then the Center would be the outside guy on that side.

then they would have to add players on the line to the left of him to be eligible……the right wide guys are clearly on the line

i think the D didnt know what the hell to do once they set it up so it worked perfectly as they didnt have time to think of where to be or who to cover

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
then they would have to add players on the line to the left of him to be eligible……the right wide guys are clearly on the line

i think the D didnt know what the hell to do once they set it up so it worked perfectly as they didnt have time to think of where to be or who to cover

Ah, like I said, only saw a quick clip, so you are right, but theoretically the center could be eligible, I think.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Aight, so on a rewatch.

a)Is Barber saying he's never seen the swinging gate before?

b)I'd say there is another option on the left side, but it looks like philly snuffed it out by sealing off the sideline. I figure they could have gone to the right side too, depending on how philly lined up.

c)That is a sneaky leak out, Philly is already out of sorts because they don't know who is supposed to cover who, then you run directly towards the guy who leaks out, which makes the defenders want to go for the ball carrier, thus freeing up the receiver, who of course is the place kicker.

To me it looks like 94 should have stuck with the place kicker, but making guys who wear that # make coverage decisions will probably play into the favor of the offense.

Reactions: njdevils1982
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad