OT: 2019 nCov (part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Because the WHO suggested they were not necessary. Quite frankly I've found them (the WHO) to be unreliable throughout this buildup, which makes sense considering their current leader is...……..of (possibly) questionable character.
The WHO told our canada's prime minister to not shut down airports and borders for unsufficiant proves the virus will not be spread. Chrystia Freeland And Justin Trudeau justified the non decision by scientific approach. The WHO told them that. Airports and borders could have been shut down two weeks before.

Reactions: scrubadam

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Les nouvelles mesures de confinement reportées d’une journée à Montréal

Expect some new measures for the island of Montreal today. They were supposed to be announced yesterday, but because of the complexities of putting them in place (and enforcing them), they we're pushed back till today to try and get everybody organized

These will more than likely include:

-Errands (by foot) only within only 1km of residence
-Police control at all the bridges to Montreal
-Limited amount of people per residence that are allowed to go out for errands
-Measure will be put in place for certain areas and communities (Religious) where it's gotten out of hand (Cote St Luc, Hampstead, NDG, Parc Extension)

I have a feeling that there's more tweaking that will be done with the above. They're more than likely still discussing. The numbers coming out today will probably give them more ammunition in putting these in place if they're even higher than yesterday.

Reactions: scrubadam

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Something a little off the tracks for those looking for a little hope.

I just heard this on the radio now. I hope its lyrics carry your imagination to a better place even if just for a few moments:

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
The WHO told our canada's prime minister to not shut down airports and borders for unsufficiant proves the virus will not be spread. Chrystia Freeland And Justin Trudeau justified the non decision by scientific approach. The WHO told them that. Airports and borders could have been shut down two weeks before.

Yeah sure….we should have close our border as fast as Italy and USA did…..worked great for them.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Would be interesting so see curves for the different regions. Got a feeling Montreal makes it look worse than it is and things are flattening out elsewhere.

Not really, we're not there yet either in MTL or in the regions but we should see a "flattening" maybe more in the next week or so.
We have 2 things working against us right now, Snowbirds and our proximity to the epicenter in New York.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
That's been the problem. I also don't even know where to get one. We won't even be able to access them for awhile since frontliners will get them first as soon as they become available.

Not sure why we were encouraged not to wear them if we don't have the symptoms in the first place. I believed it for awhile but now I don't.

Amazon don't have any right now. If there's one, it's either rated very low or it'd take 3 weeks to be delivered.

We're so f***ed..

Walmart says they have them on-line last time I checked- the cheaper surgical masks- but takes over a month to get them.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
So, IGA and Metro have no more delivery time slots. Wow.

I really do not want to go in person.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Last night my IGA had none but this morning I got one for Tuesday.
Hey man, I wanted to ask. I have a cut on my finger and am expecting a small delivery today. Should I be worried about getting infected via the cut on my finger or is only transmissible via nose, eyes, mouth.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
That's been the problem. I also don't even know where to get one. We won't even be able to access them for awhile since frontliners will get them first as soon as they become available.

Not sure why we were encouraged not to wear them if we don't have the symptoms in the first place. I believed it for awhile but now I don't.

Amazon don't have any right now. If there's one, it's either rated very low or it'd take 3 weeks to be delivered.

We're so f***ed..

It's because there is a shortage for the sick and those in the medical fields. Yea, we were mislead in their bogus claims they weren't effective. The fact that we can be asymptomatic and spread the virus means everyone should be wearing them.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Hey man, I wanted to ask. I have a cut on my finger and am expecting a small delivery today. Should I be worried about getting infected via the cut on my finger or is only transmissible via nose, eyes, mouth.

I have not seen anything about transmission via blood or anything like that. I don't think the virus lives in your blood cells. If you are worried just wear a glove when handling the package, even just a winter glove or something. Or leave it outside for a bit. I don't think they are particularly worried about getting it via packages.

Reactions: Andy

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's because there is a shortage for the sick and those in the medical fields. Yea, we were mislead in their bogus claims they weren't effective. The fact that we can be asymptomatic and spread the virus means everyone should be wearing them.

The reason they are effective for medical staff is because particles can become airborne when removing ventilator tubes, in which case a mask is needed for sure. Ditto if you are caring for someone sick or around other people for long periods of time who may be sick.

But for going out to the store or something, you should not be close to others for extended periods anyway. Your risk here is touching dirty surfaces and then touching your face. There are not clouds of virus floating around that a mask would save you from.

I do understand how a mask can provide some level of comfort though. But overconfidence is a problem too. I saw a lady wearing a mask and gloves at the pharmacy and she adjusted the mask several times with the gloves on. She also pulled it down to reveal her face when talking to people. If you actually touch the mask with dirty hands your risk goes UP because now the mask is contaminated and you are wearing it on your face, breathing in whatever was on your hands.

Your number 1 way to stay healthy is to stay away from others, wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Laika found a good way to deal with her COVID-19 anxieties.
chew toy.jpg

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Masks aren’t really effective in preventing the virus when you look at a mask as protection against it specifically. It’ll stop droplets and aerosol from being breathed in that may spray from the wearer or from somebody without a mask that sprays in your vicinity.

However, how the mask is REALLY effective is to keep you from touching your face. I had to get groceries yesterday and as soon as I got to my car after shopping, my nose and my ear started to itch.

It was a tough and uncomfortable 15 minute drive home to wash my hands.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
The reason they are effective for medical staff is because particles can become airborne when removing ventilator tubes, in which case a mask is needed for sure. Ditto if you are caring for someone sick or around other people for long periods of time who may be sick.

But for going out to the store or something, you should not be close to others for extended periods anyway. Your risk here is touching dirty surfaces and then touching your face. There are not clouds of virus floating around that a mask would save you from.

I do understand how a mask can provide some level of comfort though. But overconfidence is a problem too. I saw a lady wearing a mask and gloves at the pharmacy and she adjusted the mask several times with the gloves on. She also pulled it down to reveal her face when talking to people. If you actually touch the mask with dirty hands your risk goes UP because now the mask is contaminated and you are wearing it on your face, breathing in whatever was on your hands.

Your number 1 way to stay healthy is to stay away from others, wash your hands frequently, don't touch your face.

Those are all good points you made, but sometimes you can't keep your distance when others are not adhering to it, also it's difficult to keep your distance when you need to pay the cashier. Your example of the lady mishandling her mask shows the importance of informing the public on the correct usage of any mask .

Reactions: Mrb1p

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Aren't your hands getting chapped with all this hands cleansing? Man, mine (right one) even has a blister. I've put a shit ton of Aveeno hand lotion, but to no avail. :laugh::laugh: My right hand is now a casualty of this war on germs.

My hands are completely destroyed. I am somewhat used to it as last year at this time I had a newborn baby and was washing my hands every 15 minutes anyway. Had to stop wearing my watch because I got a rash all up my wrists and arm from the irritation.

Reactions: sandviper

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Unlikeliness goes up for sure, but why not just wesr gloves?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Those are all good points you made, but sometimes you can't keep your distance when others are not adhering to it, also it's difficult to keep your distance when you need to pay the cashier. Your example of the lady mishandling her mask shows the importance of informing the public on the correct usage of any mask .

On my end, I have been managing well not having to leave the house. I have gone out only once in the last 2 weeks, to get my meds, that's it. I am lucky I can work from home and am used to doing that already so it's no big change for me. I have no experienced issues with others in public spaces, thankfully.

As for proper mask wearing information, it is key if you are going to wear one because otherwise, your risk is very likely to go UP wearing a mask (touching the mask, adjusting the mask, removing the mask, etc...). For men, if you are wearing a mask it's also important to be cleanly shaven every day before putting it on (particularly for the N95 masks). You should look up the proper way to put them on/off online before trying. In the medical field, you need to be trained on how to do it.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Chartered busses. Basically like what school buses do. Give them a route and they only pick up healthcare workers. It wouldn't be that difficult. Just need a quality logistics manager.

But it’s not just health care workers that are essential. Grocery store workers, utilities workers, gas station attendants, child care workers (looking after essential workers children), etc. There are a lot of people still required to keep working. I can’t see chartered busses being able to accommodate all of them.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
Facial exposition seems to be the only way this virus gets in.

It's a pulmonary virus that needs to enter via the trachea. We wash our hands to prevent the virus from going near your face if you touch something.

Reactions: Andy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad